PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR Is Back!

Blud
02-11-2008, 11:20 AM
This is shaping up to be an interesting season, as Joe Gibbs Racing has swapped from GM to Toyota. In addition, sponsorship has changed between teams and drivers (as usually happens); Most notably, Budwieser now sponsors Gillett Evernham Motorsport's #9 Dodge Avanger (Kasey Kahne) and Best Buy has moved to Gillett Evernham's #19 Dodge Avenger (Elliot Sadler). Previously, both Kahne and Sadler were sponsored by Dodge, which meant that sponsorship dollars were split between two teams, instead of all the money going to only one team. Now that each driver has their own sponsors, it is expected that each will benefit from more money going toward their respective teams.

Kyle Busch, after being fired from Hendrick Motor Sports, is now driving for Joe Gibbs Racing, and takes on the M&Ms sponsorship (I will never put another M&M in mouth again).

After the Bud Shootout last weekend, it looks like Hendrick Motor Sports is set to dominate this season just like they did last season. Dale Earnhardt, Jr. has moved to Hendrick's and won the Bud Shootout with Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon (his teammates) coming in with top 5 finishes. Both Johnson and Gordon had to use short-track backup cars following incidents during practice earlier in the week. Not only did their teams work to get these short-track cars ready for a superspeedway run, but actually made them very competitive, and did it in only a couple of days. This is testimony to NASCAR's desire to have the new cars work for any track they are scheduled to run on (superspeedways, short tracks, and road courses).

Tony Stewart (#20 Home Depot Toyota) and Kurt Busch (#2 Miller Lite Dodge) were at it again. They had a...competetive...season with one another in 2007 where they were in more than a couple of "incidents" with one another. This type of competetive spirit continues into 2008 with them getting involved in a wreck with each other again during practice earlier this week. This was followed by a sit-in with NASCAR officials in the hauler, where an altercation reportedly broke out between Stewart and Busch. If you follow NASCAR, keep an eye on these two when they get next to each other this season...It may get interesting.

The Budweiser Shootout was a great race, as the drivers stayed side-by-side most of the night, and did not string out, making the racing even more competitive. This is exciting, as the new car that NASCAR has mandated promises more side-by-side, competitive racing, which is exactly what they set out to accomplish when the new car was introduced more than 2 years ago.

Toyota reportedly had a strong showing in the off season, proving they have potential to dominate the Cup series as strongly as they have dominated the Craftsman Truck Series.

The 50th annual running of the Daytona 500 is this Sunday, and the qualifying session ended with Jimmie Johnson (2006 and 2007 NASCAR Sprint Cup Champion) on the pole, with Michael Waltrip starting outside of the pole, along with this employee driver David Reutimann starting right behind him in fourth. Joe Nemechek and Dave Blaney also start in the top 5 (3rd and 5th, respectively).

CrystalTears
02-11-2008, 11:23 AM
A true redneck NASCAR fan...
http://www.3rednecktenors.com/images/nasca_.jpg

Blud
02-11-2008, 11:29 AM
I think I threw up a little.

Gan
02-11-2008, 12:33 PM
A true redneck NASCAR fan...
http://www.3rednecktenors.com/images/nasca_.jpg

LOL

CT wins.

Stanley Burrell
02-11-2008, 02:37 PM
God, I :heart: Nascar.

I always used to rush back home from Hebrew school so I could catch the pre-game. Good times.

Methais
02-11-2008, 03:27 PM
http://www.funny-tshirts.biz/images/t_16360.jpg

RichardCranium
02-11-2008, 03:51 PM
I watch Nascar every weekend.

Gan
02-11-2008, 04:43 PM
See, thats just it.

Both my dad and step-dad raced in the NHRA. I grew up at the quarter mile strip and love anything to do with cars and horsepower.

Both dads are fanatics about watching racing and keeping up with racer stats, etc. I'm not.

I love to go to the races -both Nascar and NHRA/IHRA as well as some local meets. I like being involved. I just dont like watching it on TV or wasting usable brainspace with statistics and historical data for the drivers (or any other sport to be honest).

I would always tell my step-dad, "I'll watch the first 10 laps and the last 10 laps, because thats where the excitement is".

That being said, I cant wait until Nascar has their race in Dallas this spring. I'm going again because its a fucking blast to participate in.

I guess I have ADHD when it comes to sports. If I'm playing or AT the game - You've got my attention. Otherwise I'd rather be doing something else than sitting in front of a TV watching a game. I do like having the game or race on the radio/TV while I'm working in the garage. :)

Sean of the Thread
02-11-2008, 04:45 PM
I don't like NASCAR. I don't like fighting with the rednecks over NCAA football on the tv's at the sports bars that much more.

Blud
02-11-2008, 04:59 PM
What got me hooked on NASCAR was actually going to see a race live. The sound of 43 800+ horsepower racecars screaming past you; the smell of high-octane fuel; the feel of that power reverberating in your chest; and the sheer speed at which they pass you is, in a word, awesome.

I took my wife went with me to a race right after we got married, and she was hooked from that time forward as well. We now make a trip every year to at least one track to watch it live. We also get pit passes and watch pre-race inspections and get the occasional autograph.

I'm trying to get hot passes for any race this season, but they are mighty hard to come by.

In short, yes there are some redneck fans (OK, admittedly a lot of redneck fans), but don't stereotype a sport for that. You might actually enjoy it if you can get tickets to see a race live. If that isn't an option, just go to a NASCAR-sponsored event where a car is on display and ask the person attending the car to start it up. They will usually start the car for you if you ask.

Also, take an exit ramp (one of those that loop around) as fast as your car will allow (right at the point of wrecking, but not quite) and multiply that speed by about 3 or 4 and imagine 42 other cars around you doing the same thing at the same time. It's best to do this when the road is slightly wet, just so the car slides a little bit, to really get the feeling. :)

Fallen
02-11-2008, 05:02 PM
I can understand the allure of going to a NASCAR event. I'm told they allow you to bring in whatever alcohol you want to the event. Can't wrap my mind around watching NASCAR on TV, though.

Gan
02-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Going to a Nascar event is unlike anything I've ever been at. I even posted a thread on how my first race went (last year). I'm hooked on attending - just not on watching.

Blud
02-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Personally, when I go to it live I miss things that you don't see on the TV. There are wrecks that happen all over the track, and if you are at the track, watching it live it's hard to see what caused the wreck and what led up to the wreck. Sometimes, it's an accident (driver / spotter mistake) and other times it is intentional where one driver dumped another on purpose because of some other things that happened 20 laps ago (or even 10 races ago). When you see it on TV, you get all of the story.

Being I'm a true fan of the sport, I care just as much about why something happened as I care about what happened. The Kurt Busch and Tony Stewart incident that happened earlier this week (Stewart clipped Busch and caused him to wreck) ended with Busch ramming his car into Stewart's car on their way to pit road. This got them both called in the NASCAR hauler for a "consultation" where supposedly, a fight broke out between them. All this started last season between them two. To add fuel to the fire, Kurt Busch's brother, Kyle, has just started this season on Stewart's team...Who knows how that's going to shake out.

Tsa`ah
02-11-2008, 05:22 PM
I honestly don't get the draw of a live NASCAR event ... unless you're a redneck.

If you're way up in the stands you may as well have stayed home and watched it on TV. It's not like watching a ball game from the nose bleeds.

I've been to the Indy Speedway twice with friends and it was ...

1. Deafening sound from track every time a the pack went by.
2. The deafening sound from the fans (mainly those right next to you that rolled in on their "RV" the day before that won't shut the fuck up for more than 2 seconds at a time ... it's either whooping for Jr of arguing with their "spouse").
3. The line to just use the bathroom .... and then the sudden desire for renal failure once you actually make it into the bathroom.
4. Just the sheer number of hillbillies and rednecks packed into one place is enough to give you nightmares for the rest of your life. Not that they were all in one place ... but likely that everyone of them has the ability to breed .... and does it.

Five needs a category separate from the rest. NASCAR is not a sport simply because of the completely inbred method of crowning a champion.

1. The point system doesn't make sense. It's entirely possible that a driver that has never won a race all season can be the season's champ simply because he never wrecked once in the season and always crossed the finish line. If he crossed enough times in the top 10 ... he's got a chance to be the champ. I'm sorry, but no other sport declares a team champs because of a stat held throughout the season (outside of win/loss).

2. The "best" don't always get to race. Say you've paid your dues on the dirt tracks and local races. You manage to get the money and sponsors together for a shot at a NASCAR cup race. In the time trials you qualify with a time in the top 10 ... but wait ... you can't race. There are only enough spots in the race for 6 people to get in on time. Not only is there this retarded point system, but there are all of these provisions such as "owner" points, past champion, previous winner. So even though your time put you at the front of the pack come time for the green flag, even though you invested the cash and paid all of the fees ... you're not racing ... and you're not getting any refunds either.

There's only two things NASCAR is good for ... wreck clips and clips of two rednecks fighting.

Augie
02-11-2008, 05:52 PM
I always loved NHRA racing as opposed to Nascar. I love funny cars and the jet cars and the jet trucks. Even though it's over so quickly, that was more exciting than watching the cars go round and round and round.

I know next weekend is going to be insane at work with the Daytona 500 going on. We have people staying up in Jacksonville since Daytona's been sold out forever. I just can imagine how redneck my hotel is going to turn.

Blud
02-11-2008, 05:52 PM
1. The point system doesn't make sense. It's entirely possible that a driver that has never won a race all season can be the season's champ simply because he never wrecked once in the season and always crossed the finish line. If he crossed enough times in the top 10 ... he's got a chance to be the champ. I'm sorry, but no other sport declares a team champs because of a stat held throughout the season (outside of win/loss).

Actually, this is somewhat true, albeit simplistic. If you look at the elegance of the point system, it makes sense. You get points based on how you finished, while winning races and leading laps gains you bonus points, so winning and leading laps are important. But, it is also important to be consistently competitive, which means more than just finishing the race (you actually have to finish consistently in the top 5 or 10 all season if you don't win races), so in my opinion, the point system works. It is also entirely possible for someone to win 6 or even 10 races in a season and not be champion because they were not consistently competitive throughout the rest of the season, just as it is possible to not win a single race, but be consistently competitive throughout the season and win the championship. The only gripe I have with the points system as they stand right now, is if you enter the chase the point leader, you should start the chase as the point leader.

2. The "best" don't always get to race. Say you've paid your dues on the dirt tracks and local races. You manage to get the money and sponsors together for a shot at a NASCAR cup race. In the time trials you qualify with a time in the top 10 ... but wait ... you can't race. There are only enough spots in the race for 6 people to get in on time. Not only is there this retarded point system, but there are all of these provisions such as "owner" points, past champion, previous winner. So even though your time put you at the front of the pack come time for the green flag, even though you invested the cash and paid all of the fees ... you're not racing ... and you're not getting any refunds either.

This statement is close, but not entirely accurate.

First, if you qualify on time, AND the other competitors who HAVE to qualify on time don't beat you, then you DO get to race.

Second, the past champion provisionals are only good for 5 races in the entire season, and you only get to use them if (a) you HAVE to qualify in on time, and (b) you DON'T qualify in case (a). If you use all 5 up in the season, then you have to race your way in, or you don't race.

Third, owner points are in there, but they only apply to the driver who drives for the said owner. In other words, if I start a NASCAR career tomorrow, and I go driving for Hendrick Motorsports, I don't automatically get to race just because I drive for Hendrick Motorsports. I still have to qualify into the race. Now, Rick Hendrick could take points away from Jeff Gordon or any of his other drivers and give me those points (with NASCAR's approval), but that only means that Jeff Gordon (or whoever he takes the points from) has to now qualify on time. Either way, SOMEONE is going to have to race their way into the race, whether it's me or the driver he took points from.

Penske Motorsports did this exact thing for Patrick Carpentier / Kurt Busch for the Daytona 500. Roger Penske took points from Busch and gave them to Carpentier to make sure Carpentier would race, gambling on Busch timing his way into the race, but if he couldn't, he could one of his past champion provisionals. There is not a previous winner provisional that I am aware of.

RichardCranium
02-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Yeah you should definitely find something better to do with your time than watch NASCAR.

Maybe you can troll message boards pwning people's faces with your knowledge of fucking everything in the world, ever. And take a holier than thou stance on every issue.

Gan
02-11-2008, 06:19 PM
1. The noise isnt that bad. And the new rule for 08 is that the exhaust will be turned into the track interior (some of us were disappointed with this). The sound makes it ROCK!

2. True you only see a section of the track if you go live. So you get smart and position youself on a corner mid way up the stands (right under the cover so you dont bake). THEN you go pick up a fan scan with headphones so you can watch the other side, listen to the pit crews, the individual drivers, the track officials (really cool when there's a wreck), or the actual network broadcast over the headphones. REAL FANS have their own scanners and headsets. (I rent the fanscan (http://www2.sprint.com/mr/news_dtl.do?id=10220)).

3. The section we sat in (bleacher seating) was mild mannered. Most folks I saw were not falling off their ass drunk or obnoxious (like most NFL or college football games I've been to).

4. The secret to having seating room for the big assed members in your party (or the cooler you're allowed to bring in) is buy an extra ticket and split the cost over the total number in your party.

5. OMG YOU GET TO BRING YOUR OWN BEER/FOOD/DRINKS/ETC. This hands down PWNNS any other pay spectator sporting event. PERIOD.

6. Bathrooms are a pain in the ass in any packed sporting event. If you want an uncrowded bathroom - stay home.

7. I was totally amazed at the lack of 'rednecks' thats textbook definition caliber at the Dallas race. It might be different elsewhere (definately didnt see the hairy back type guy). There were a few with low tatoo to tooth ratio individuals (male and female) but on the whole folks who went to the event and could afford a $130 general seating ticket were suprisingly middle class.

I actually didnt think I would be able to sit through 500 laps - but I did, and looked up wondering where time flew when the checkered flag came out. It was a blast watching the lead changes and strategy the drivers and teams employ. And oh yea, the wrecks are great to see in person.

Gan
02-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Yeah you should definitely find something better to do with your time than watch NASCAR.

Maybe you can troll message boards pwning people's faces with your knowledge of fucking everything in the world, ever. And take a holier than thou stance on every issue.

:lol:

Gan
02-11-2008, 06:25 PM
I always loved NHRA racing as opposed to Nascar. I love funny cars and the jet cars and the jet trucks. Even though it's over so quickly, that was more exciting than watching the cars go round and round and round.

I know next weekend is going to be insane at work with the Daytona 500 going on. We have people staying up in Jacksonville since Daytona's been sold out forever. I just can imagine how redneck my hotel is going to turn.

Top Fuel
Funny Cars
Pro Stock

If I dont get my shot of Nitrous back in the pits prior to the heats starting then the day is OVER! I am all over NHRA events. I cant wait until my son has his ear tubes out so I can take him.

Seeing and FEELING a top fuel make a pass full boar down the track has no other experience except for probably being on the deck of an aircraft carrier.

NHRA is also great for those with ADD/ADHD. You're talking 6 seconds (prostock) or 3 to 4 seconds (topfuel/f/c) and you have a winner!

Whats really cool is having a friend who works for the Safety Safari that can get you stage lane passes so you can be down in the burnout area and mingle with the drivers. Also helps when you have actual driver/team connections and can get a participant pass.

I'm all nostaligic now. :(

Snapp
02-11-2008, 06:53 PM
CT totally wins.

I have nothing else to add except DE hosts some kinda NASCAR thingie every year in Dover and the influx of rednecks is scary.

Augie
02-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Top Fuel
Funny Cars
Pro Stock

If I dont get my shot of Nitrous back in the pits prior to the heats starting then the day is OVER! I am all over NHRA events. I cant wait until my son has his ear tubes out so I can take him.

Seeing and FEELING a top fuel make a pass full boar down the track has no other experience except for probably being on the deck of an aircraft carrier.

NHRA is also great for those with ADD/ADHD. You're talking 6 seconds (prostock) or 3 to 4 seconds (topfuel/f/c) and you have a winner!

Whats really cool is having a friend who works for the Safety Safari that can get you stage lane passes so you can be down in the burnout area and mingle with the drivers. Also helps when you have actual driver/team connections and can get a participant pass.

I'm all nostaligic now. :(

So awesome...if I weren't pregnant I'd probably go down to Gainesville for the Gator Nationals, but I don't think I could handle it right now. I used to go to Moroso Motorsports Park in West Palm Beach to watch the races.

I'll never forget the first time I saw one of the jet engine propelled big rigs go flying down the strip. It was the coolest thing I had ever seen.

And I miss watching the races with my dad ... Shirley Muldowney was always my favorite to root for since she was a woman and had the pink funny car. I got her autograph and still have it to this day - she was awesome.

Ahhhhh maybe next year I'll hit up Gator Nationals when I can drop the baby off at grandma and grandpa's and have me a good ol redneck time watchin the races.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
02-11-2008, 07:25 PM
For the love of god Augie, don't taint that poor -.6 year old child! Do you WANT her to pop out with a mullet, laughing like the trailer for Strange Wilderness?

Warriorbird
02-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Live Nascar is 500 times better than TV Nascar to me.

I'm not a redneck.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
02-11-2008, 07:48 PM
So watching cars drive in circles while accelerating and slowing as appropriate is somehow enhanced by the loudmouth hick behind you shouting for Rusty Wallace, that guy named after a fish, and Dale Earnhardt, while simultaneously spilling his diet coke and nachos on you/the floor near you?

Gan
02-11-2008, 08:46 PM
So awesome...if I weren't pregnant I'd probably go down to Gainesville for the Gator Nationals, but I don't think I could handle it right now. I used to go to Moroso Motorsports Park in West Palm Beach to watch the races.

I'll never forget the first time I saw one of the jet engine propelled big rigs go flying down the strip. It was the coolest thing I had ever seen.

And I miss watching the races with my dad ... Shirley Muldowney was always my favorite to root for since she was a woman and had the pink funny car. I got her autograph and still have it to this day - she was awesome.

Ahhhhh maybe next year I'll hit up Gator Nationals when I can drop the baby off at grandma and grandpa's and have me a good ol redneck time watchin the races.

haha. You have Cha Cha's autograph. She was a trip to see race. Thats back in the old school Big Daddy Don, Eddie Hill, The Kalitta Bros., The Snake (Army f/c), and my alltime favorite Tom Hoover's Showtime, days. And who could forget the Blue Max?!? Then you also had Rolen Leon's Hawaiian Punch Car (and those halftrack burnouts), and the Mooney special. Was it Bernstein in the Mongoose funny car? Now its getting hazy. And oh yea, John Force was just starting out way back then.

oldschool oldschool oldschool.

Once upon a time, not too long ago NHRA had 4 events a year between Dallas and Houston. I was in hogg-heaven. One each in the spring and one each in the fall. Since then they have split it up where spring is Houston and fall is Dallas (Ennis). Either way I try to make it to at least one race a year just to get my nitro-fix. It clears the sinuses dont you know. ;)

One of my favorite things to see when they run the 2nd rounds in the evening. (below)
http://images.hotrod.com/racers/hdrp_0504_01_z+NHRA_schumacher_racing+the_US_army_ top_fuel_dragster.jpg
Seeing the 5 foot flames out of the zoomies and feeling the thump of the nitro as they leave the line is FUCKING WOOD!

w00t!

Sean of the Thread
02-11-2008, 08:52 PM
that poor -.6 year old child! Do you WANT her to pop out with a mullet,

or a rat tail for fucks sake! Entering dangerous territory girl... proceed with caution.

Blud
02-12-2008, 09:20 AM
NASCAR is not full of rednecks. As Gan said, I hardly ever see the "Redneck" nation when I attend the event live. I regularly sit with doctors, lawyers, engineers (like me), and other "white-collar" professionals, and that is in the general seating area, not the box suites. And I DO enjoy it live, but I get "more" of the story watching it at home.

My wife and I plan to follow NASCAR through all 36 races live when we retire in our RV. I can't wait!

Warriorbird
02-12-2008, 04:08 PM
So watching cars drive in circles while accelerating and slowing as appropriate is somehow enhanced by the loudmouth hick behind you shouting for Rusty Wallace, that guy named after a fish, and Dale Earnhardt, while simultaneously spilling his diet coke and nachos on you/the floor near you?

You go with friends. Going by yourself to any sports event unless you're DIEHARD is kinda loserish.

RichardCranium
02-12-2008, 07:19 PM
The rivalries make the sport great too. Not college football great, but great.

Skeeter
02-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Every year I try to get into this, and every year I fail. Must be the Yankee in me.

Gan
02-12-2008, 10:37 PM
You go with friends. Going by yourself to any sports event unless you're DIEHARD is kinda loserish.

Its like going to the movies at night by yourself.

People tend to look at you strange.

PS. Dont wear a trenchcoat when you do. ;)