PDA

View Full Version : HJ:Old timer's exit strategy?

Lysander
02-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Hear me out on this theory.

First I think the game will be good, not great or revolutionary, but good.

Second, it'll pull in at least 50k-100k players.

Real question:

What if, a ton of people who plays GS or DR switches over to HJ and then grows tired of it like any other MMO?

Even if Simu makes this one of their signature, 5+ years to endgame deal, it'll still have an end. And usually, at least for me, when I quit a graphical MMO, I quit cold turkey.

So,will this be the old timer's escape hatch? Can the folks addicted to this crack for 10+ years (a freakin' decade!) finally let go? Damn if only if.

I WISH I CAN QUIT YOU!

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/AQUA/24-383~Brokeback-Mountain-Posters.jpg

Warriorbird
02-09-2008, 04:01 PM
The game is never going to launch or achieve anywhere that number of subscriptions if it does.

Bobmuhthol
02-09-2008, 04:04 PM
<<Second, it'll pull in at least 50k-100k players.>>

LMAO!

<<Even if Simu makes this one of their signature, 5+ years to endgame deal, it'll still have an end. And usually, at least for me, when I quit a graphical MMO, I quit cold turkey.>>

You have no idea wtf you're talking about.

crazymage
02-09-2008, 04:04 PM
STOP WITH THESE FUCKING THREADS.

Warriorbird
02-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Simu'd be insanely lucky to crack 10,000.

Methais
02-09-2008, 04:49 PM
A few things:

- HJ is never coming out.
- This thread sucks.
- You suck for posting this thread.
- A porcupine's balls are small, and they don't give a SHIT!

Skeeter
02-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Backlash has 42 accounts.

Warriorbird
02-09-2008, 05:37 PM
I don't believe Lysander is Backlash...which makes this post sadder.

Skeeter
02-09-2008, 09:27 PM
I believe there are 9 actual people on this site. Me, a few people I talk to on IMs and 1000 backlash alts.

Lysander
02-09-2008, 09:59 PM
I believe there are 9 actual people on this site. Me, a few people I talk to on IMs and 1000 backlash alts.

I would say more like 5-7.

But I think HJ will get more then 10k. Originally I was suspicious about Simu's devotion to the production of this game. But when big names like Bioware and Bethesda snatch up the Engine, it must be halfway good. Then again, the games being completely produced by volunteers... only time will tell.

Bobmuhthol
02-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Engine != game.

Lysander
02-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Engine != game.

True, but the game portion just takes a lot of imagination and nothing much else. Graphics to physics to fluidity of the network etc. are all handled by the engine.

Simu, after seeing GS and DR have a ton of imagination. But I don't know. They have a ton of competition, but at this point, since all the labour is free why not just make a game? Even if it only brings in 5000 or so players, thats free money still. Thus, I think they will eventually get the game out.

Warriorbird
02-09-2008, 10:27 PM
It takes a bit more than that. I also don't believe we've seen anything go live off of the engine yet.

Lysander
02-09-2008, 10:47 PM
It takes a bit more than that. I also don't believe we've seen anything go live off of the engine yet.

I doubt a large company like Bethesda owned by billion dollar corporation Vivendi is likely to just take Simu's word for it that the engine works or not. The game will come out. It'll need to be a huge world, filled with several dungeons yadda yadda yadda... just don't think a few volunteers will cut it to make an entire MMO world on the scale of Elanthia. It's another thing to write up a room description but to coordinate living graphical environment with mountains, deserts, entire oceans.. (what happens when you jump off the boat, an entire underwater world? Holy crap!)

On second thought the game may not come out before I retire and go on my fuck tour of South America (don't tell my fiance I said that).

Stanley Burrell
02-09-2008, 10:50 PM
- A porcupine's balls are small, and they don't give a SHIT!

SHIIIIIT!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0756114/

Bobmuhthol
02-09-2008, 10:51 PM
There's nothing that suggests the game will be developed; if they sell their engine, they don't really have an incentive to finish the project anymore - they already made a profit.

Warriorbird
02-09-2008, 10:52 PM
You missed "actual intent" on the part of management for the game to come out and the possibility that companies may have licensed the engine to reverse engineer it or keep it suppressed.

Or it has unforeseen problems.

Or they're really just working on updating the engine/making a new and better one since they've lost their buzz yet again.

Celephais
02-10-2008, 11:44 AM
I doubt a large company like Bethesda owned by billion dollar corporation Vivendi is likely to just take Simu's word for it that the engine works or not.
You really don't think that large corporations dump shittons of money into things they know nothing about? You've never delt with a large corporation professionally, it's all about impressing the person in charge, not the person who understands the market.