PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated

Suppa Hobbit Mage
01-31-2008, 05:38 PM
So two weeks ago my dog was diagnosed with Cushings disease. She'd lost 6 lbs over the course of about 4 months, and went from a 22 lb dog to a 16 lb dog.

So, the treatment is some sort of chemotherapy drug Lysodern (might be spelling it wrong). I started her on the meds on Monday night, and gave her a second pill on Tuesday night. I've been calling the doctor every day because she threw up an hour after taking the pill on Monday and about 3 hours later on Tuesday.

Doctor recommended I not dose her on Wednesday, so I didn't. This morning she threw up in bed again around 2 AM. So I get up, and try to get her to eat before work, and she's not having any of it. Poor girl is listless and just looks pathetic.

I called the vet from work again and told her what was going on, and she said if when I get home tonight she's still listless, to bring her in on Friday. I came home from work early because I'm worried about her, and she doesn't greet me at the door like she usually does. So I take her to the vet, and she runs some blood tests.

Misty is now in acute renal failure and at the vet all alone, probably in pain and feeling abandoned. I feel like a terrible Dad because I didn't do something, anything, more. Just been a shitty fucking week.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/imagedream/Dogs/IMG_1526.jpg

Warriorbird
01-31-2008, 05:40 PM
That's horrible. We had a cat that went from healthy to dead in a week because of a bobcat illness a couple years back. It hurt.

Anebriated
01-31-2008, 05:50 PM
Im sorry to hear that SHM. I had to put my dog down recently from something similar. He stopped eating and started throwing up all over the place. Eventually his legs started to give out due to malnourishment. No matter what we tried nothing seemed to do the trick. In the end putting him down was the best decision just to rid him of the pain. Its a very hard thing to go through and I wish you the best. Just spend time with her and make her comfortable because good things dont last forever. I am sure you have given her a good life so dont feel that you have failed her, some things just cant be prevented.

Methais
01-31-2008, 06:11 PM
So two weeks ago my dog was diagnosed with Cushings disease. She'd lost 6 lbs over the course of about 4 months, and went from a 22 lb dog to a 16 lb dog.

So, the treatment is some sort of chemotherapy drug Lysodern (might be spelling it wrong). I started her on the meds on Monday night, and gave her a second pill on Tuesday night. I've been calling the doctor every day because she threw up an hour after taking the pill on Monday and about 3 hours later on Tuesday.

Doctor recommended I not dose her on Wednesday, so I didn't. This morning she threw up in bed again around 2 AM. So I get up, and try to get her to eat before work, and she's not having any of it. Poor girl is listless and just looks pathetic.

I called the vet from work again and told her what was going on, and she said if when I get home tonight she's still listless, to bring her in on Friday. I came home from work early because I'm worried about her, and she doesn't greet me at the door like she usually does. So I take her to the vet, and she runs some blood tests.

Misty is now in acute renal failure and at the vet all alone, probably in pain and feeling abandoned. I feel like a terrible Dad because I didn't do something, anything, more. Just been a shitty fucking week.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/imagedream/Dogs/IMG_1526.jpg

That fucking blows. I don't know what I'd do if/when something happens to my dogs. I'd probably catch a raging case of emo.

Hope your dog turns out ok, or at least doesn't suffer. :(

Sean of the Thread
01-31-2008, 06:13 PM
Most certainly sucks and it seems you're having bad luck with pets as of late.

I'm not expert but maybe you shouldn't be feeding your dog bars of soap.

Seriously tho best of luck with the situation. I'm dealing with a sick cat myself that I thought would never bother me as much as it is.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
01-31-2008, 06:16 PM
Yeah dude, I never figured loving the mutts would be so painful.

Sean of the Thread
01-31-2008, 06:20 PM
Yeah dude, I never figured loving the mutts would be so painful.

Me either but I've found out over the years that they're always there for me unconditionally. To watch tv .. to walk.. to read the paper. They truly are your best friend.

Methais
01-31-2008, 06:26 PM
MB lowered to 13.5m

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/G_spot33/Punch.jpg

Gan
01-31-2008, 06:26 PM
Sucks bub. Thoughts go out to you. Losing a pet is nothing less than like losing a family member. Because if its done right, they are part of the family.

Just dont let him suffer too long once you determine there's no hope of a recovery.

Gan
01-31-2008, 06:28 PM
PS.

Stan - quit being a bonafied prick.

I hope the next dog you see on the street bites you in the nuts and gives you gang green and tetanus testicles for the comments you've made in this thread.

Anebriated
01-31-2008, 06:34 PM
yeah theres times to be a prick and times you gotta lay off. Losing a member of the family(i agree with that statement) hurts.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
01-31-2008, 06:36 PM
PS.

Stan - quit being a bonafied prick.

I hope the next dog you see on the street bites you in the nuts and gives you gang green and tetanus testicles for the comments you've made in this thread.

It's all good. I knew when I posted he'd do something like that. It's all he's got, and if it makes him feel good, well more power to him.

Snapp
01-31-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that, SHM. And I'm sure you've given him a great life so far, I can tell you care a lot about your pets.

And Stanley, STFU.

Augie
01-31-2008, 08:28 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that sweetie :hug: I know how it can hurt to lose a pet and I'm sure I'll be a basket case when it comes time for my kitties to pass.

Don't feel like a bad father because sometimes things like this just happen and you have no control over it :( I hope that it works out and that Misty doesn't suffer.

Hulkein
01-31-2008, 08:37 PM
How old is she?

Also Sean2 were you serious about the bar of soap thing because I think my dog ate a bar of Dove this morning, heh.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
01-31-2008, 08:38 PM
She was abandoned as a puppy and I bottle fed her for the first few weeks I had her. She's a little bit shy of being 10 years old.

diethx
01-31-2008, 08:48 PM
When I was 16, my cat went into renal failure pretty much over night. One day he was fine, and the next he was laying in the closet next to his pooper, couldn't barely walk or even stand up really, and wouldn't eat. It was insane how fast it hit him, and we had to put him down the next day because they just couldn't get him to pass anything. His shit just totally shut down. The worst part is, they couldn't say WHY it happened.

So basically, i'm really sorry you're going through this. It's been 10 years and I can still remember how much it hurt to lose my cat. It hurts just thinking about it, heh. I guess we just need to remember that the 10+ years of awesomeness we get to spend with them is worth the agony of their loss.

I'm sure I'll be a basket case when it comes time for my kitties to pass.

x100. It freaks me out just thinking about the fact that it's going to happen to my two girls.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
01-31-2008, 08:51 PM
You people suck with the cheerful stories, btw.

PS - Vet called, said she is passing fluids well, which is a good sign.

Gan
01-31-2008, 08:56 PM
Yea, mention a pet or family dying and this board turns EMO as shit faster than Sean2's pants dropping in the VIP room.

thefarmer
01-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Renal failure sucks hard

Jenisi
01-31-2008, 09:08 PM
I feel your pain, our family dog we had to put to rest because he had mouth cancer, and this huge tumor that kept bleeding everywhere and was whining in pain. It's still painfull to look outside and not see his footprints in the snow. I hope what your dog has is something that is recoverable, I don't know much about the situation and I haven't figured out if he's all right or not but I really wish your pet the best. <3

Sean of the Thread
02-01-2008, 03:22 AM
Also Sean2 were you serious about the bar of soap thing because I think my dog ate a bar of Dove this morning, heh.

lol no. The biscuit or whatever in SHM's picture looked like a bar of soap at first glance.

Killer Kitten
02-01-2008, 06:59 AM
SHM, I'm really sorry. It is never easy to see your pet develop severe health problems.

Hopefully, with fluid therapy at the vet's office, they can get her kidneys jump started. Acute renal failure means that this happened suddenly. This makes it possible that the kidneys can be restored to full function, unlike chronic renal failure. So if you must have renal failure, acute is always better.

I haven't worked with any Cushing's patients, but one thing I'd discuss with the vet is the possibility of giving her meds by injection. This will bypass her digestive tract and might help reduce the incidence of vomiting.

Good luck with her, and I really hope she rallies and pulls through for you.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
02-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Vet called this morning and she's about the same as before (which the Vet expected). She is passing fluids, which is a good sign, but is still listless and doesn't want to do anything. The Doctor said probably another day or two before we have to make a decision.

Just sucks that she's in pain and away from home.

Arkans
02-01-2008, 09:54 AM
My boxer, Rex, just recently died. He had Degenerative Myelopathy, which is basically Multiple Sclerosis in dogs. He finally went down after fighting it for three years and being paralyzed from the neck down, but it was sad to see him go. It's not easy, that's for sure.

- Arkans

Parkbandit
02-01-2008, 09:58 AM
God... that really sucks. I get all emo just thinking about that happening to my dog Dude. He's like one of my kids.

Hope you get good news.

Gan
02-01-2008, 10:34 AM
God... that really sucks. I get all emo...

Thats all I had to see.

Ugh.

:whistle:

Parkbandit
02-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Thats all I had to see.

Ugh.

:whistle:

Heh.. I know. When my dog comes out to greet me when I come home, I feel like that emo guy in the Milwaukee's Best commercial.

http://www.milbestlight.com/tv_spots.aspx (scroll down to Dog)

Asha
02-01-2008, 02:14 PM
rofl those were awesome. Especially the CATCH one

Gan
02-01-2008, 02:22 PM
ROFL

OK, I'm going to watch all of them now.

But my favorite beer commercial of ALL time is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4m9k0c_lgU

Clove
02-01-2008, 02:36 PM
I hope your puppy pulls through. I know what you mean about them being away from home, in pain and frightened; with luck though your vet will be able to nurse her back to health.

Take any advice you get from Killer Kitten- she's the rockingest with pets.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
02-01-2008, 07:33 PM
I spent about an hour with her this afternoon, and she was horrible. The fluids they were pushing trying to restart her kidneys were too much for her, she has a heart murmor and couldn't keep up. Her lungs were filling up with the extra fluids.

So the vet stopped that around noon, and gave her lasics to try and get past that. But poor Misty just wasn't responding to anything. I had her put to rest at 6PM tonight, we said goodbye and I told her I loved her.

Asha
02-01-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm really sorry, man.
Glad you got to tell her that before you let her go, too.

radamanthys
02-01-2008, 07:40 PM
That's a tough thing for anyone to do. My best to you and yours.

Katt
02-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Thats one of the hardest things I've had to do...Hold an animal while it is being put down. Hope you are doing ok I am sorry that happened. =(

Suppa Hobbit Mage
02-01-2008, 07:53 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/imagedream/Dogs/IMG_1530.jpg

I always loved this picture.

TheEschaton
02-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Fuck, life sucks sometimes.

Asha
02-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Nah it's fucking amazing. Just shit when it has to stop.

Amaron
02-01-2008, 08:27 PM
aww I am soo sorry. Our dog had some issues but is a happy ending so far.

My blue merle collie has a tumor in her bladder... we are hoping to keep the complications ar bay for a bit. The Chemo therapy seems to be working so far.

I will keep you in my prayers tonight.

J

Clove
02-01-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm sorry SHM :(

diethx
02-01-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm so sorry. :(

Revalos
02-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Damn, I'm tearing up over here dude. And I didn't even know your dog before about 5 minutes ago when I started reading this thread.

I don't think I can ever get a pet, knowing that the end is always hard like this.

diethx
02-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Damn, I'm tearing up over here dude. And I didn't even know your dog before about 5 minutes ago when I started reading this thread.

I don't think I can ever get a pet, knowing that the end is always hard like this.

It's definitely hard, but all of the years of love and friendship you get from the relationship makes it worth going through.

Snapp
02-01-2008, 11:21 PM
It's definitely hard, but all of the years of love and friendship you get from the relationship makes it worth going through.

Agreed.

And I'm sorry, SHM.. that really sucks.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
02-01-2008, 11:38 PM
The boards here are nice as a kind of therapy. I wish dogs lived as long as we do. I've always had dogs my whole life. I got Ellie about 4 months after Toska died last year. I just can't imagine not having them around as comopanions and pets.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/imagedream/Dogs/IMG_1561.jpg

Brattt8525
02-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Sorry to hear you had to put your dog to sleep, at least you were there for her at the end. Not much can be said to make anyone feel better at a time like this except you did what was best and most humane for her.

From the bottle feeding in the beginning to the easing her pain today, you were a good doggy parent.

Methais
02-02-2008, 01:06 AM
I spent about an hour with her this afternoon, and she was horrible. The fluids they were pushing trying to restart her kidneys were too much for her, she has a heart murmor and couldn't keep up. Her lungs were filling up with the extra fluids.

So the vet stopped that around noon, and gave her lasics to try and get past that. But poor Misty just wasn't responding to anything. I had her put to rest at 6PM tonight, we said goodbye and I told her I loved her.

Really sorry to hear that man. At least she's in a better place now, where the supply of T-bone steaks are endless.

Gan
02-02-2008, 06:43 AM
Sad to hear that bub. My thoughts go out to you.

CrystalTears
02-02-2008, 09:03 AM
I'm so sorry. :(

Hulkein
02-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Sorry SHM.

Lucas
02-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Just let me eat him.
jking

possibly?

Suppa Hobbit Mage
02-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Nothing more tp say really. I've cleaned house all day lon trying to stay ahead of things and keep doing them I'll sit down on the coudh an expect her to be there with me,k or walking htrough the house and turn around and there she isn't.

I wish things were deferfent, so how. Someone needs to creat something that leats dogs speaks.

Asha
02-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Mate, don't go all nuts.
Are you drinking? Drink it's ok but don't go nuts Bill
I am worried a bit. You've been posting flaky for ages

Suppa Hobbit Mage
02-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Yeah I'm doing ok. Had a drink or two. Been on the pohone iwth friends and family all weekend. THe finalityof death is waht gets to me, makes me just want o quit everything here nad do soemthjing more rewarding like voluteer with the AHS or soething.;

Asha
02-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Just remember to relax and do what you have to to look after yourself mate.
You'll miss her for a long time and especially now.
Brave it through now and for the next few months. It's hard as hell but just keep a grip.
You know my AIM Mate, and like I said even if offline, just PM and I will be.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
02-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Is that an official invitation for us to collectively IM you for sexy time?

diethx
02-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Is that an official invitation for us to collectively IM you for sexy time?

I have an official invitation for you....

STFU

Daniel
02-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Dec 21st 2004. The dining facility on Camp Marez in mosul was attacked by a suicide bomber. 21 people were killed and over 50 more wounded, including my 1sg, XO, Supply sergeant and a national guard engineer detailed to my platoon. He was 20 years old and a student at Virginia Tech.

Put shit in perspective man. Everything dies, everything goes. Enjoy what you have.

Augie
02-03-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm so sorry Bill :( I wish I could be there to give you a hug. It sucks that this had to happen, but she is no longer suffering.

:hug: At least you got to tell her goodbye.

Asha
02-03-2008, 10:53 PM
In a thread you make, you can fucking cry over your loss of homo mates.
Compared to a thread where a guy wants to hope for his pet that died you should stfu.
I don't usually think you're stupid Daniel. But right now that comparison has you looking a fucking insensitive cunt.

Daniel
02-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Yes you are right. Human life is absolutely nothing compared to a pet.

Get a grip.

Anebriated
02-03-2008, 11:14 PM
I don't usually think you're stupid Daniel. But right now that comparison has you looking a fucking insensitive cunt.

Wait... thats a new thing?

I wonder what people like Stanley, Lucas and now Daniel think they are accomplishing by posting their asshole comments in a thread like this. Seriously, losing a pet sucks.

diethx
02-03-2008, 11:16 PM

Get a grip.

I think it's more the fact that it seems like you're trying to belittle his pain and the death of his dog because it was a dog and not a person that you knew that died in the war.

Daniel
02-03-2008, 11:20 PM
No, I'm belitting it because he's in here drunk typing as if the world is coming to an end.

Methais
02-03-2008, 11:21 PM

Get a grip.

http://img.printfection.com/14/41189/3zxVr.jpg

diethx
02-03-2008, 11:22 PM
No, I'm belitting it because he's in here drunk typing as if the world is coming to an end.

You're a douche if you think it's fine to belittle it for any reason.

Daniel
02-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Comes with the Territory.

Asha
02-03-2008, 11:24 PM
When someone makes a thread entirely to his friend suffering and eventually leaving him it's ok. There's nothing wrong with feeling a little hurt for their passing.
I suspect Daniel too might be drinking.

Daniel
02-03-2008, 11:33 PM
I'm dead sober actually. Kinda tired tho.

Asha
02-03-2008, 11:37 PM
No excuse for being a fucking prick then.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
02-03-2008, 11:38 PM

Exactly, so why are you still acting like one? We get it, he's an insensitive ass, but you don't need to go out of your way to defend yourself when you aren't even being attacked. Drop the situation, and let it go.

Stunseed
02-03-2008, 11:39 PM

Says the man who has to insult a homosexual male to justify himself.

Irony alert!

PS. I'm sorry about Bill's situation, but I think after he can dredge up some personal shit against another member on the boards I find it highly amusing that people are offended that someone else does it.

Asha
02-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Point that shit out and you can have it.
PS Id like alot if we could PM whatever bullshit you seem to have for me Stun. Leave this thread for the poor bastard that has to wake up to it.

Daniel
02-03-2008, 11:46 PM
PS. I'm sorry about Bill's situation, but I think after he can dredge up some personal shit against another member on the boards I find it highly amusing that people are offended that someone else does it.

Ding ding ding.

we have a winner.

P.s. Ash, I don't remember making any excuses. Thanks tho.

Stunseed
02-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Bill is not a poor bastard. He's in a bad place, which we all have been. He'll get through just like everyone else, he's a big boy with a stable head on his shoulders.

Rofl @ the edit.

I don't have any BS for anyone, I call them as I see them. I don't have any particular issue/care for Bill or yourself besides the fact we're all human. People are flawed and if you can't accept that then you ( generalized ) should accept people are going to call your bluff.

Snapp
02-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Rofl @ the edit.

Yea I noticed that too.

Asha
02-03-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm going to stop for this threads sake and SHM's.

Asha
02-03-2008, 11:51 PM
I edited that shit on my own terms BEFORE you said a word. And I'm so tempted to say something harsh again since you're taking this thread as fight.
Start a new thread and I'll get involved. Let this go for this poor fucking guys sake.

Drew2
02-04-2008, 01:21 AM
For some reason, I've never invested my emotions in animals. I've had pets my whole life, but the loss of them never seems to effect me. Sure it's not a happy moment, but I've never been brought to tears or anything. I choose to have relationships with things that walk on two legs (sometimes three, if you know what I mean ;) ) instead of four.

So while I'm sorry you're upset, I don't understand it.

Asha
02-04-2008, 01:27 AM
Exactly, so why are you still acting like one? We get it, he's an insensitive ass, but you don't need to go out of your way to defend yourself when you aren't even being attacked. Drop the situation, and let it go.

I'm keeping my tongue in my cheek right for a mate now. You better shut the fuck up. Stop towing along I'll rip you to bits.

Methais
02-04-2008, 01:34 AM
For some reason, I've never invested my emotions in animals. I've had pets my whole life, but the loss of them never seems to effect me. Sure it's not a happy moment, but I've never been brought to tears or anything. I choose to have relationships with things that walk on two legs (sometimes three, if you know what I mean ;) ) instead of four.

Pretend your favorite dildo broke.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
02-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Other than the fact I should never drink and post, thank you everyone for the support.

To those that think animals are somehow less than a human life, I disagree and it isn't worth arguing over. I love my dogs and I miss them. To me that is enough.

Clove
02-04-2008, 10:51 AM

Then maybe you should STFU?

"Gee I was never really close with my grandmother... so I'm sorry you lost her but I don't understand what the big deal is?"

Ass. This wasn't an opinion thread on the relative value of animal life. This was someone upset about their pet.

Katt
02-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Everyone has different levels of pain. Just because someone has more or less pain that doesn't diminish how you feel or anyone else.

It's not like he is saying he is going to kill himself to be with his dogs or anything. He isn't over acting. If one of my animals died I would probably write about it for days in a journal or something.

Not everyone is into writing feelings/stress down on pen and paper so I think this is a good way to get out feelings and get over shit without really disturbing your personal life by having to take time going to a therapist or even taking it out on loved ones because you have no where to vent.

CrystalTears
02-04-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm going to be a wreck the day my cat passes. She's my first pet and her loss is going to be a serious blow to me. Thinking about it gets me teary-eyed.

Killer Kitten
02-04-2008, 11:36 AM
SHM,
I'm so sorry.
Kimm

Hulkein
02-04-2008, 02:49 PM
To those that think animals are somehow less than a human life, I disagree.

LOL