PDA

View Full Version : Being raised AFK = Official Warning

TyrilPraedus
01-31-2008, 02:37 AM
[Consultation Lounge]
The cozy surroundings of this simple conference room provide a much-welcomed respite from the chaos just outside its walls. You notice several plush chairs arranged casually around the room in a comfortable grouping.
Obvious exits: none
P>
Votary suddenly fades into sight beside you.
P>
Votary says, "I talked to you Sunday about this."
P>
Votary says, "If you all are going to kill each other, use challenge."
P>
You feel less drained.
P>
Votary says, "By not doing so, you are forcing others into mechanics abuse."
P>

Tyril, this is an official warning that engaging in system mechanics abuse is against policy in GemStone IV.

If you feel this warning was received in error, please speak to a GameHost by typing ASSIST REQUEST.

You can also learn more about GemStone IV policies online, by typing POLICY while in the game or by visiting http://www.play.net/gs4/gamepolicy.asp.

P>
You sense the link to Veantar's soul slip peacefully away.
P>'i didnt kill anyone
You say, "I didnt kill anyone."
P>
Votary says, "No, you got killed, but you two have been engaging in this all week."
P>
Votary says, "And you knew you were not in challenge."
P>'i was sitting there
You say, "I was sitting there."
P>
Votary says, "And allowed someone to heal and someone to resurrect you."
P>
Votary says, "You should have told them to drag you off to the NPC, as was done Sunday."
P>
You feel less drained.
P>
Votary says, "A cleric or a healer gaining experience from CvC, consentual or not, is mechanics abuse."
P>' I DIDNT ALLOW ANYONE TO RAISE ME !
You exclaim, "I DIDNT ALLOW ANYONE TO RAISE ME !"
P>' i didnt consent !
You exclaim, "I didnt consent !"
P>
Votary says, "You were healed and said nothing, they were calling for clerics, and you said nothing. You had every ability and right to refuse."
P>' i was AFK, I didnt know i was being healed or raised.
You say, "I was AFK, I didnt know i was being healed or raised."
P>
You feel less drained.
P>
Votary asks, "Have you been AFK this whole time, death included?"
P>'i saw the death, and walked away
You say, "I saw the death, and walked away."
P>
Votary says, "Then you are just as responsible. You could have decayed, or been asked to be taken to an NPC. Instead, you let others do as they would, and helped them into abuse."
P>
Votary says, "Please stay here a moment."
P>
Votary says, "I'll be right back."
P>
Votary gestures and a shaft of scintillating light from somewhere above pierces the ceiling and engulfs him. When the light recedes Votary is no longer there.
P>l
[Consultation Lounge]
The cozy surroundings of this simple conference room provide a much-welcomed respite from the chaos just outside its walls. You notice several plush chairs arranged casually around the room in a comfortable grouping.
Obvious exits: none
P>
A shaft of scintillating light suddenly pierces the ceiling and strikes the ground next to you. The beam of light then explodes in a shower of sparks and Votary is standing in its place.
P>'How is it my fault I got raised by someone ?!
You exclaim, "How is it my fault I got raised by someone ?!"
P>
Votary says, "Because you knew you died without a challenge."
P>
You do not feel drained anymore.
P>' I didnt ask anyone to raise me
You say, "I didnt ask anyone to raise me."
P>
Votary says, "You knew the behavior would cause mechanics abuse, because you were talked to about it Sunday."
P>
Votary says, "Consentual CvC is OK - but you MUST use the challenge system."
P>
Votary says, "That's why it's there."
P>'When did we talk about this?
You ask, "When did we talk about this?"
P>
You feel at full magical power again.
P>
Votary says, "During my shift, when all hell was breaking loose, when I began removing people's experience, and called a stop to the killing, asked if everyone was using challenge and it was consentual, then left."
P>,because i went afk and got raised
You focus on transmitting your thought.
P>psinet mail
Usage: MAIL LIST : Open your inbox.
MAIL READ : Read the next mail message waiting for you.
MAIL WRITE : Compose a new message.
Optionally add a list of comma-separated names.

>psinet mail write
Opening mail composition window...
You sense that your message was delivered.
Votary says, "I am going to send you back down now, I don't think there's much more to say. If you want to talk later, REPORT, or you are welcome to take this up with feedback."
P>
You feel the sting of a recent death slowly fade away, yet a lingering weakness remains.
P>'How did i get a warning
You say, "How did i get a warning."
P>'I never asked to be raised
You say, "I never asked to be raised."
P>'I never asked to be healed
You say, "I never asked to be healed."
P>'I was waiting to decay
You say, "I was waiting to decay."
P>
Votary says, "Because you let it happen, after you knew you were dead."
P>
Votary says, "Then depart."
P>'its a penalty to type depart over decaying
You say, "Its a penalty to type depart over decaying."
P>
Votary says, "You sat there and let people do what comes naturally to them."
P>'i believe it is 'proper' to ask before just doing actions
You say, "I believe it is 'proper' to ask before just doing actions."
P>
Votary says, "It's also inviting others to mechanics abuse by sitting in a healing area, not telling people or denying services, and being healed."
P>'This is a bit ridiculous in my opinion
You say, "This is a bit ridiculous in my opinion."
P>'I didnt DO anything
You say, "I didnt DO anything."
P>look vot
Votary says, "You should have asked to be taken elsewhere, to the NPC cleric, or decayed. Or even better, been under a CHALLENGE and none of this would be an issue."
P>
You see GameMaster Votary.
He appears to be a Half-Sylvan.
He is of a slight build and appears to be very young. He has bright blue eyes and a faint scar running down his right cheek, marring his otherwise clear skin. He has well groomed, loosely curled dark brown hair.
He has a series of black ora rings in the upper ridge of his left ear.
He is in good shape.
He is wearing some polished black shoes, some black trousers, a black leather belt with a polished silver buckle, a fitted white shirt, a long black wool jacket, and a large sack.
P>'I WAS AFK
You say, "I WAS AFK."
P>'how did i know i was at the dais ?!
You exclaim, "How did i know i was at the dais ?!"
P>'i was waiting to Decay
You say, "I was waiting to Decay."
P>
Votary says, "We're just going to go around in circles. You may take this up with feedback@simutronics.com, if you feel this is unfair."

I'm glad I can get killed by someone (out of my control), healed by someone (out of my control), raised by someone (out of my control). And get a violation!

Xaerve
01-31-2008, 02:39 AM
Wow... and they wonder why their player base is fucking going to shit.

This is the stuff that really makes me wonder how some of the GMs are selected.

So a friend killed you basically, then you got raised by another (non-friend) individual, and YOU got the mechanics warning?

Edited to add the dumbass-quote of the year, you didn't win this year Illvane:

Votary says, "By not doing so, you are forcing others into mechanics abuse."

Jayvn
01-31-2008, 02:41 AM
looks like warclaidhm finally got a gm spot

Anebriated
01-31-2008, 02:43 AM
Im thinking the only reason he was raised in the first place was cause my body was brought in and it was just hte order of the bodies. :( That sucks man.

TyrilPraedus
01-31-2008, 02:48 AM
A) Killed
B) Went AFK
C) got dragged to the dais
D) got healed
E) got raised
F) Official warning

So yes.

thefarmer
01-31-2008, 02:49 AM
It probably wouldn't be an issue if he hadn't gotten warnings earlier in the week.

I've been healed/raised while ghosting/afk and never gotten even a report.

TyrilPraedus
01-31-2008, 02:56 AM
i got a warning because the death was CvC and someone learned off of it. However it is my responsibility to be able to control two other accounts and stop healing and raising while I am afk.

Tolwynn
01-31-2008, 03:02 AM
Or you could just log out, which is a lot easier than trying to control other accounts.

thefarmer
01-31-2008, 03:30 AM
Why did you walk away from the computer after you died anyway?

Stanley Burrell
01-31-2008, 03:42 AM
If the person who rezzed you wasn't your alt/MA then that's kinda horse-doo, I suppose. If anything, I'd penalize the vulture.

<<Why did you walk away from the computer after you died anyway?>>

I've had it before where if I die somewhere really obscure (usually with my CoL'ers who can't self-keep/use Symbol of Thought), I leave my group open in hope that there's a slim chance someone will stop on by: And if not, I only get 1/2 the penalty I would if the death timer insta' decayed me after the usual 10-15 minutes as opposed to insta-decaying because I'm somewhere extremely obscure (i.e. buried in the Caravansary.)

I check on the screen every four or five or so minutes when I get fucked real bad, as mentioned above (if I'm patient enough not to depart instantly.)

Stanley Burrell
01-31-2008, 04:01 AM
Annnnnd, also, I think the not-so Golden Words were "AFK scripting of any kind" is against policy.

Your just being a corpse and getting warned like that seems weird. Sometimes people say CvC and their definition is sort of different than the GameMaster's interpretation, as well.

i got a warning because the death was CvC and someone learned off of it. However it is my responsibility to be able to control two other accounts and stop healing and raising while I am afk.

Or you could just log out, which is a lot easier than trying to control other accounts.

I gathered this as being sarcasm on his behalf; if not, then yeah (if he's rezzing himself with himself after CvC.)

Votary says, "I talked to you Sunday about this."

Considering Votary's a pretty damn apt GM, maybe you can include an honest interpretation of Sunday's incident to help everyone better understand.

Methais
01-31-2008, 04:24 AM
Votary says, "A cleric or a healer gaining experience from CvC, consentual or not, is mechanics abuse."

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a162/DoyleHargraves/8468a5a1-1.gif

Stanley Burrell
01-31-2008, 04:26 AM
Which is why I don't understand if it's his guy in ur base raising his own d00ds or if it was happy hour before text-based moderating commenced.

Augie
01-31-2008, 04:29 AM
I know I got a slap on the wrist once or twice when I had my own empath healed me after doing some redux and weapons and armor testing with ambush.

I guess it all depends on the conversation that was had previously in regards to the CVC healing/raising. But you could always try feedback (not sure who they have doing it since Simu-Gary left, but they may have someone just as good as he is).

Drew
01-31-2008, 04:35 AM
This is especially dumb. Wow. Who taught this guy to GM?

TyrilPraedus
01-31-2008, 04:40 AM
On Sunday we had a Royal Rumble FFA and ended up with 8 or so corpses. Votary came and told everyone to stop and asked if we were using CHALLENGE.

http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=12834&page=355&highlight=deaths

here is the log from the Rumble.

TyrilPraedus
01-31-2008, 04:41 AM
and to answer the question: It was a random healer and random cleric that 'learned' from my CvC death.

AestheticDeath
01-31-2008, 04:46 AM
If you think about it, you can see that both sides had valid points.

The GM has to honor the new rules about CvC and no experience coming from it. Since people who were not in the room during the CvC can't know that they are doing something wrong, its the person involved in the CvC who is responsible for preventing wrongful exp gain to come from CvC. Since he didn't he got in trouble.

Now, getting in trouble for not closing your group, or what not can seem silly. But you should know the rules and play by them. Being AFK is never an excuse since you are not suppose to be AFK.

I would be pissed if I were in your shoes, but I think its the only way to really enforce the no-exp from CvC. You have to be responsible in how you play the game etc...

But also, I think its policing the game a bit much, to go after someone like this unless they have a habit of it. Which in this case you very well may have.

AestheticDeath
01-31-2008, 04:47 AM
They need to flag CvC wounds and deaths somehow without having to resort to using the challenge verb so this problem doesn't arise. And I have no idea if coding that would be hard or not.

Danical
01-31-2008, 05:10 AM
If I'm in a so-called, "Royal Rumble FFA," there isn't a fucking chance I'm wasting the time to use challenge and wait for an acceptance of terms. Mother Fuckers are dead on sight, hence . . .

ROYAL RUMBLE FFA!

Unless I guess it's possible for everyone to challenge at some room and then part ways before joining in said RRFFA. I dunno. Challenge blows.

EDIT: I used to kill my friends all the time when they were afk for grins and they would lovingly do the same to me. :shrug:

----------------
Now playing: USK - Little Sound Disko#04 (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/usk/track/little+sound+disko%2304)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

Xaerve
01-31-2008, 07:47 AM
The game is turning into some sterile form of SecondLife.

Khariz
01-31-2008, 08:17 AM
Wow, this is the first GM complaint in years where I thought the GM was totally fucked in the head.

I was invovled in a bunch of CvC healing/rezzing related Consultation Lounge visits when Michaelous was around because I like dueling on the boulder.

This...is way over the top.

Xaerve
01-31-2008, 08:51 AM
I'd love to see what feedback had to say about this. Something tells me that Lothwyn or another SGM wouldn't have let this gone down.

That being said, it makes me really nervous about fucking around and attacking/killing my friends anymore when we're playing around.

Skeeter
01-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Wow GS hires some morons. Andraste must have taught this guy how to GM

Tea & Strumpets
01-31-2008, 10:01 AM
That's ridiculous. You are in no way required to use the WARN or CHALLENGE verbs when engaging in CvC.

It's listed nowhere in policy, and when the stupid fucking verbs were introduced the GM's made it clear they were a communication tool and nothing more. Some GM's have a stick up their ass about any CvC, so they go out of their way to pull these silly shennanigans.

Tea & Strumpets
01-31-2008, 10:02 AM
That being said, it makes me really nervous about fucking around and attacking/killing my friends anymore when we're playing around.

As ridiculous as this thread and the GM involved are, it would be kind of funny to cut a friend's arm off, and then tell him he has to go lay down in the healing tent to get it healed or he is getting an OFFICIAL WARNING.

CrystalTears
01-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Even though the GM is being ridiculous with this, I find it humorous that you admitted to being AFK as though this was going to help your case.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
01-31-2008, 10:22 AM
Do people wonder why shit gets nerfed and dysneyfied? There is a post in the death folder that explains why Votary is having issue with you and the asshats in your group.

Keep pushing, it'll be awesome when you get banned.

Xaerve
01-31-2008, 10:38 AM
Do people wonder why shit gets nerfed and dysneyfied? There is a post in the death folder that explains why Votary is having issue with you and the asshats in your group.

Keep pushing, it'll be awesome when you get banned.

I read the post in the death folder, and saw nothing wrong.

They want to be clowns and kill each other, that is there business.

That being said, Tyril did nothing wrong in the incident above. He got an official warning for 3 things that were out of his control.

I really don't see how you could argue this any other way. So I don't really know what you mean about if he keeps pushing it and he'll be banned; he wasn't being disruptive to anyone and was enjoying himself with his friends. Sounds like total bullshit to me.

I think the GMs need to be schooled a bit in Mill's harm principle. Also, the old maxim if it isn't broke, don't fix it, seems to apply here. I certainly don't think anyone from the having fun with your friends "rumble" thing they had going on reported complaining, so why the fuck would the GM get involved? Also (I asked one of the individuals involved) after the large fight they actually drug everyone to the NPC cleric to get raised; so nothing illegal even happened in the end.

The warning above was bullshit, there is nothing else to say about it. Mechanics abuse for doing nothing, give me a break. I'd really write a detailed email to feedback, Tyril, and maybe carbon-copy a few SGMs on it. I really hope you get this sorted, because it sets a bad precedence for other GM decisions. Not that Gemstone is ever really governed with a solid foundation of precedence...

Latrinsorm
01-31-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm glad I can get killed by someone (out of my control), healed by someone (out of my control), raised by someone (out of my control). And get a violation!Getting raised is not out of your control. You chose not to be at the keyboard after being specifically warned about this a few days ago. My guess is that you planned for someone to happen across your character's corpse knowing the consequences so you could complain about GMs getting in your business.
They want to be clowns and kill each other, that is there business.Absolutely correct. It only becomes Simu business when people are being PC healed and raised (and thus experience being gained from CvC), as was explicitly stated to this fine gentleman four days ago.

Lucas
01-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Next time just say your ISP dropped. Mechanically there is no way they can tell and it would be game mechanics wise the same as going AFK.

If the GM still gives you crap, you post back here. And we'll get a petition going to fire his ass on the officials.

CrystalTears
01-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Petitions... heh... do those ever work?

Lucas
01-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Not for in-game changes maybe. But non-coding/non-integral GMs are a dime a dozen...

Makkah
01-31-2008, 11:46 AM
rofl... petition? Dumbass.

Tolwynn
01-31-2008, 11:48 AM
And they'll undoubtedly take a petition started by someone whose advice was to lie if caught again at doing something that multiple warnings were given for, over the judgment of one of the staff.

Ohhhkay.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
01-31-2008, 11:52 AM
Not to mention I seriously doubt the above is the whole story.

Lord Nelek
01-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Latrinstorm: Are you a GM or have you at any point in your life been part of Gemstone Staff?

Celephais
01-31-2008, 11:56 AM
Next time just say your ISP dropped. Mechanically there is no way they can tell and it would be game mechanics wise the same as going AFK.

If the GM still gives you crap, you post back here. And we'll get a petition going to fire his ass on the officials.
Unless he actually did disconnect after getting rezzed and before doing anything else the ISP drop excuse wouldn't work (even if he just closed the FE, they send a proper "disconnect" signal), something like "my computer became unresponsive until it was too late!" would work though.

I do think this was a load of crap to warn you over that... especially if you went AFK before getting dragged. I've definatly raised AFK people before without incident. (found some random guy dead in a field who clearly had been AFK Scripting... so I field rezzed him, protected him till the thread dropped, and left... I wouldn't be surprised if he got pasted a second time; that be awesome if he got an AFK script warning and an AFK rez warning)

I think any enforcement of raise exp abuse is stupid... because there is no way to gauge how intentional someone's death is... if I wanted to have a second account of a character who RP'd foolhearty brave, and constantly hunted 20 levels over his head, and I constantly raised him with my cleric, that's all in policy.

g++
01-31-2008, 12:36 PM
I guess my biggest issue with the warning is that 8 people killing themselves cannot possibly be a form of mechanics abuse that actually benefits the players involved. Its just a complete waste of time for everyone involved from a power leveling stand point. I think they just issued the warn because they are sick of you spamming the game with your deaths. Honestly I don't even know why GM's care about experience gain anymore the game is so easy it is way easier to just hunt then to come up with convoluted mechanics abuse plans.

Latrinsorm
01-31-2008, 12:40 PM
Latrinstorm: Are you a GM or have you at any point in your life been part of Gemstone Staff?No, and my handle is spelt "Latrinsorm", one "t". Don't worry, almost everybody mixed that up at one point or another.

Methais
01-31-2008, 12:41 PM
I hope you're at least gonna write to feedback about it. They've overturned retarded warnings before. Not often, but it happens. They might do it in this case.

No, and my handle is spelt "Latrinsorm", one "t". Don't worry, almost everybody mixed that up at one point or another.

While we're at it, my handle is spelled "Methais", not "Methias".

FinisWolf
01-31-2008, 12:48 PM
How many times have you seen player X get bitch slapped, and HealerPlayerY heal them with no recourse?

It has been a long standing tradition that a healer sees someone get whooped on and they heal them.

If they really want to take a stand on this, warn the person harmed/dead the empath and the cleric (if one is needed). That would stop it.

BUT

Why do it at all? Seriously. CvC is accepted, and along with that so has the healing and raising afterward.

Perhaps though, this is because this is not a role played CvC conflict, but rather a PvP conflict.

And to say use the challenge verb? Are you serious? Did we just switch to DR? People play GS because we can immediately attack, not because there is an enforced time before engagement.

My opinion, fight the warn, fight the gm, and get people to support you. Just because one GM runs you over doesn't mean that there are not ten others that would look and ask why did GM one even get involved. It may not do you any good (and probably won't), but it very well may help the next player that ends up in that situation.

Finis

Anebriated
01-31-2008, 12:50 PM
If GS really wanted to take the steps to prevent it they would code into the game a way to know if injuries were obtained by players or critters. Then when a player created injury was healed it would yield no exp gain, same with deaths.

Makkah
01-31-2008, 12:54 PM
What Anebriated said. Good solution, I'd think.

Bobmuhthol
01-31-2008, 12:59 PM
<<If GS really wanted to take the steps to prevent it they would code into the game a way to know if injuries were obtained by players or critters.>>

That's the thing, though. The GS staff as a whole doesn't give a fuck if empaths get experience when healing PvP wounds, because if they did such a system would already be in place.

Celephais
01-31-2008, 01:05 PM
No, and my handle is spelt "Latrinsorm", one "t". Don't worry, almost everybody mixed that up at one point or another.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/GuinnessKMF/LatrineStorm.jpg

<<If GS really wanted to take the steps to prevent it they would code into the game a way to know if injuries were obtained by players or critters.>>

That's the thing, though. The GS staff as a whole doesn't give a fuck if empaths get experience when healing PvP wounds, because if they did such a system would already be in place.
http://www.uncov.com/assets/2007/6/29/fry-see-what-you-did-there-scaled.jpg

Stanley Burrell
01-31-2008, 02:09 PM
and to answer the question: It was a random healer and random cleric that 'learned' from my CvC death.

Ah, apeshit then.

Continue.

Anebriated
01-31-2008, 02:26 PM

Thats pretty much what I was getting at. They say they care but havent taken the steps to do anything about it. They blame the player when they havent taken all the steps they could on their end to begin with. Pretty sad that you got a warning from it and would be even worse if someone gets banned from it when they truely arent abusing the situation. I was there for this part of the conflict(not the rumble) and it really was random people without any interaction. :shrug:

Asha
01-31-2008, 02:30 PM
I've never seen that GM before. If he's new maybe he's over zealous to impress, which usually means they're a little less learned of the rules also.

Xaerve
01-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Well, for what its worth. I wrote a letter to feedback for you. This issue concerns me just as much as it does you, I don't want this kind of wack logic being applied to me either.

Anebriated
01-31-2008, 02:35 PM
Yeah, I understand both sides of the argument here, and until GS fixes their game to the point where its not possible for empaths/clerics to learn from CvC combat I think its wrong for a warning to be handed out for anything less than BLATANT abuse of the mechanics, this would not have qualified.

Latrinsorm
01-31-2008, 02:37 PM
They blame the player when they havent taken all the steps they could on their end to begin with.Because if people kvetch about a GM sometimes interfering with what they consider legitimate play they'll love an automated system interfering every time.

Anebriated
01-31-2008, 02:38 PM
how would a player be pissed if they coded in no exp gain from cvc inflicted wounds/death?

Asha
01-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Enforcing game rules with Xtreme mechanics isn't supposed to be the way we play. We agree not to take the piss, but they should listen to your argument when there's one in your case.

Anebriated
01-31-2008, 02:48 PM
Yeah but that specific GM was the one that responded to the CvC Rumble that happened earlier in the week and I understand their perspective. After warning them about it earlier this could very well have been something similar and we all know players dont always tell the truth(not saying this is the case here). You put the mechanics in place and you dont have the problem. This of course encourages a bit more CvC which I am sure they dont want but it removes the aspect they dislike about it. The current system in place is bulky and inconvenient, who wants to challenge someone(who probably wont accept) if you are trying to kill them. It gives players a way to hide behind mechanics and if you go around them you get punished. Take away the guessing game and make it permanent.

Asha
01-31-2008, 03:02 PM
I agree. It's just a shame that rules, sorry, mechanical full stops have to be placed, to stop both players and Simu 'employees' getting it so wrong.
But I do fully agree with your points.

FinisWolf
01-31-2008, 03:12 PM
how would a player be pissed if they coded in no exp gain from cvc inflicted wounds/death?

They already basically have this coded. It would just needd to be expanded a bit. When the challnege verb is utilized no exp is gained by healing one of the parties that were involved in the "challenge" conflict.

Finis

FinisWolf
01-31-2008, 03:15 PM
Yeah but that specific GM was the one that responded to the CvC Rumble that happened earlier in the week and I understand their perspective. After warning them about it earlier this could very well have been something similar and we all know players dont always tell the truth(not saying this is the case here). You put the mechanics in place and you dont have the problem. This of course encourages a bit more CvC which I am sure they dont want but it removes the aspect they dislike about it. The current system in place is bulky and inconvenient, who wants to challenge someone(who probably wont accept) if you are trying to kill them. It gives players a way to hide behind mechanics and if you go around them you get punished. Take away the guessing game and make it permanent.

The "bulky" part of challenge is precisely why I don't use it.

I have tried using it. It sucks.

The one time I did use it was when I was beating the temp padding off some armor so I could have it padded permanently.
Finis

Celephais
01-31-2008, 03:19 PM
Does using the challenge verb give you any RT? Is there a cooldown associated with it (I know you can only challenge one person at a time), could you:

>challenge Votary
>ambush Votary head

right after one another and then claim you "attempted to use the challenge verb"

Bobmuhthol
01-31-2008, 03:20 PM
No, because they have to accept the challenge or it's considered PvP.

Latrinsorm
01-31-2008, 03:38 PM
how would a player be pissed if they coded in no exp gain from cvc inflicted wounds/death?I'm continually baffled by what players get pissed by.
When the challnege verb is utilized no exp is gained by healing one of the parties that were involved in the "challenge" conflict.Hilariously, this doesn't turn out to always be the case.

Anebriated
01-31-2008, 03:41 PM
The poor part about challenge, as bob pointed out, is that the other party must accept the challenge. If they dont then you are basically screwed from a CvC standpoint. Thats why I feel the mechanics needs to be changed so it is not an issue. What id like to know is what happens every time Coinner dies? Since nobody can heal or rez him and he dies by player hand like 5+ times daily...

Fallen
01-31-2008, 03:43 PM
Interesting fact: If you catch someone cheating and Challenge SoandSo Theft, they automatically accept the challenge, and have a severely reduced chance of getting the constable to care that you assaulted him. I do not think it protects you against murder fines, though.

FinisWolf
01-31-2008, 03:53 PM
The poor part about challenge, as bob pointed out, is that the other party must accept the challenge. If they dont then you are basically screwed from a CvC standpoint. Thats why I feel the mechanics needs to be changed so it is not an issue. What id like to know is what happens every time Coinner dies? Since nobody can heal or rez him and he dies by player hand like 5+ times daily...

From what I have noticed when I am sadly in the same town as him, is that he decays.

Finis

FinisWolf
01-31-2008, 03:54 PM
Interesting fact: If you catch someone cheating and Challenge SoandSo Theft, they automatically accept the challenge, and have a severely reduced chance of getting the constable to care that you assaulted him. I do not think it protects you against murder fines, though.

I didn't know that, that's kinda cool.

Finis

Gnomad
01-31-2008, 03:56 PM
I don't get it.

If you attack someone and you've used the challenge verb, then you're fine.
If you attack someone, you don't use challenge, and they don't care, then you're abusing mechanics unless you both heal only with herbs and town scripts.
If you attack someone, you don't use challenge, and they don't like it, then it's nonconsensual PvP and you're in even more trouble.

Why can you still attack other players without consent, then? For those few times you have to lop an arm off to kill a scarab?

Bobmuhthol
01-31-2008, 03:59 PM
<<For those few times you have to lop an arm off to kill a scarab?>>

You better motherfucking challenge if you do that, or it's mechanics abuse if they get healed.

FinisWolf
01-31-2008, 04:25 PM
lol

Bob has a point, that would fall in the same category. Though I doubt they would nail you for that one.

Finis

Warriorbird
01-31-2008, 05:16 PM
Way to alienate the player base, Simu.

ViridianAsp
01-31-2008, 06:09 PM
I know today I helped someone who was in a CvC conflict, I had not been informed of it. But I was going to be docked experience for raising said person...

The GM gave me an RPA to cancel it out seeing as I RP'd the situation.

That kind of affects the game oocly.

...Now, I'm wondering if I should ask from now on OOCLY if they were involved in a CvC conflict and keep Hadya out of it all together, I don't want to get docked experience because I'm doing what my character would do in certain situations.

Gnomad
01-31-2008, 06:54 PM
<<For those few times you have to lop an arm off to kill a scarab?>>

You better motherfucking challenge if you do that, or it's mechanics abuse if they get healed.That's why all my characters carry a few 315 gems on them. I don't want to get locked out for good, I have enough warnings on my account; what from my bard abusing mechanics by singing to gems too many times and making empaths heal him, my Guildmaster warrior who was doing tackle reps and injured three different trainees in an hour... and don't get me started about the time my Paladin cast Zealot in a big group. I'm lucky I wasn't banned for life right there.

Methais
01-31-2008, 07:08 PM
I know today I helped someone who was in a CvC conflict, I had not been informed of it. But I was going to be docked experience for raising said person...

The GM gave me an RPA to cancel it out seeing as I RP'd the situation.

That kind of affects the game oocly.

...Now, I'm wondering if I should ask from now on OOCLY if they were involved in a CvC conflict and keep Hadya out of it all together, I don't want to get docked experience because I'm doing what my character would do in certain situations.

If this shit is really becoming such a huge issue for the GMs, then they really need to code in a system that can tell if a death or injury was from CvC conflict. They can't reasonably expect the players to police themselves on shit like this, or to use CHALLENGE every single time there's a conflict involved.

That's like going into a bar, poking a biker's girlfriend in the ass with your dick in front of his face, and then you having to accept an official challenge from him before he can kick the shit out of you. GG Simu.

This whole thing is probably one of the most ridiculous things I've seen a GM do.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
01-31-2008, 07:11 PM
Just nerf all spells so you can't cast combat spells at other pcs.

Problem fixed, and then the asshats can't fuck it up for everyone else.

Methais
01-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Do empaths get exp for healing during the glad games? I forgot.

AestheticDeath
01-31-2008, 07:24 PM
Also (I asked one of the individuals involved) after the large fight they actually drug everyone to the NPC cleric to get raised; so nothing illegal even happened in the end.

Uh if you read the log you would know at least one of the participants of the 'rumble' raised someone that was killed at the table. And most likely every body there would have been healed and raised by the same people who had killed them. Except for the GM dropping down and calling them on their asinine behavior.

AestheticDeath
01-31-2008, 07:25 PM

Far as I can recall the glad games had NPC healers or something didn't they?

Khariz
01-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Far as I can recall the glad games had NPC healers or something didn't they?

I dunno, but they could also work like our Fighting Pit in Helden Hall does now. At the conclusion of the fight, the fighters are removed from the pit, and the game automatically heals them up for a small fee (like 2k for max wounds).

It's nice nice nice. There really should be a public one of these.

thefarmer
01-31-2008, 09:09 PM
There are.. it's the town healer/cleric.

Khariz
01-31-2008, 09:12 PM
There are.. it's the town healer/cleric.

Haha, no, thats not even close to the same thing.

Our Fighting Pit:

1. Keeps you from dying in the first place by catching you before you die, giving a message alternate to death, and ejecting you alive with full health.

2. Heals all wounds upon ejecting you.

It does this with no RT, no wait time, no fuss, and no need to walk one room.

Thus, our room requires no consent to attack each other in, as there is no consenquences and no possibility of any other class getting any duel based-exp.

My point was that since we got the GMs to code this for us with our precious coffers, they might as well copy it and put one in a public place.

Stanley Burrell
01-31-2008, 09:26 PM
^^^

= pugilism ring.

Mechanic-wise, I'm pretty sure.

Khariz
01-31-2008, 09:27 PM
Sorta.

Sylvan Dreams
01-31-2008, 10:16 PM
Not for in-game changes maybe. But non-coding/non-integral GMs are a dime a dozen...

Then why does it take so long to get a damn referral answered?

:(

g++
01-31-2008, 10:35 PM
Wow the Helden Hall pit sounds awsome.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
01-31-2008, 10:35 PM
Then why does it take so long to get a damn referral answered?

:(

Because GMs are dealing with asshats at a table killing each other repeatedly?

g++
01-31-2008, 10:52 PM
The way I see it people are going to be silly the fact that the GM's choose to spend their time berating people being silly is their own fault. If they spent half the time rewarding good things that they did keeping tabs on BS like this the game might be decent. Anyone that's ever had a child knows what happens when you give them your full attention every time they throw a temper tantrum. Im sure Zodier could fry just as easily elsewhere. Its not like anyone is gaining a lot of levels raising duelers so why do they even care?

Killer Kitten
02-01-2008, 06:36 AM

I don't know if they still do, but I remember spending a whole day fried from healing at the glad games. There were 4 or 5 healers there and we couldn't keep up.

The ultimate healer fest was that haunted house that (was it Pauper's) would put on every year. People left that thing looking like incineration victims, except alive. Every empath in the game could (and did) get fried hanging out there. I guess healing those folks would be abuse now, too?

Halstein
02-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Wow GS hires some morons. Andraste must have taught this guy how to GM

Unrelated to this event, Marsha started a course of events yet again with one of my characters. The net result being a 30 day lockout even though I have a clean account history going back to '95. I've no desire to continue to support such draconian actions so I've cancled all 3 accounts and my wife is doing the same shortly.

Shame. Simu just lost 2400$/year plus all paid events. (4 premie accounts, 2 basic).

Sylvan Dreams
02-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Wow the Helden Hall pit sounds awsome.

Wehnimer's Landing Warrior Guild has the same thing. I don't know if all the other chapters have it.

Savageheart
02-01-2008, 01:40 PM
I do sympathize with the situation, but for perspective's sake if you hadn't been involved in what ever hub bub happened the day before it wouldn't have been an issue.

The specifics of the situation aren't fun, don't get me wrong, but you are not going to get any sympathy votes by Staff given your encounter less than 48hrs previous. Any GM is going to assume the worst case in non-verifiable circumstances. The service industry does not breed well adjusted individuals who assume the best of their compatriots. This is not surprising, nor hints at the draconian nature of Simu versus any other gaming company. Now, there is other shit that they pull that certainly does... That's another thread.

They can tell you didn't type any commands received by the front end but not that you weren't using 3rd party tools to get someone to heal you without asking and raise without asking.

Just to play devil's advocate, it is more than slightly suspect to get dragged away healed and rezzed while afk without getting logged out by the death timer. If your DT was on and this happened, thats fucking amazing, we are talking about some whirlwind vulturing there.

Too review, if it was off and you just wanted to decay, typing depart just took me less than one second. Unless your bowels exploded, most would probably either log off or depart, (typing quit once again took no time although the Q can be tricky... alt-f4 was slightly faster).

It's of course your prerogative to do either of these things, and normalcy is certainly justifiably laughable in our community but one can certainly appreciate the perspective on both ends of the argument.

Keeping with the whole theme of perspective, I be willing to go out on a limb and propose that your experience in larger companies would be more abrupt, with no discourse what so ever (perhaps an automated email) and the slap on the wrist would be more comparable to a slap in the face. Anyone who's received suspensions and warnings in an MMO or 'other' high volume MUD can attest to this. Any of you ever play Carrion Fields? The OP response was first response character deletion, second response bannination. Actually, anyone who has ever been pulled over for speeding can attest to this.

Something my daddy always used to say (I am sure I've said this before but I do so love to say it) "Son you can build a thousand bridges in your lifetime, and suck just one cock... At your funeral they'll be calling you a cocksucker not a bridge builder" This principle just helps me justify the belief that everyone is a cocksucker. It's the human condition!

This anecdote does not translate as well if you are a heterosexual female or homosexual male... Still it's the thought that counts right? I'm clock watching my Friday away can you tell?

Just as a PPS... If you ran four accounts and your wife ran one, you'll be back. It's not crack folks, it's heroine.

Skeeter
02-01-2008, 01:58 PM
wait.. isn't crack more addictive than heroine? If only we had an expert....

Khariz
02-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Wehnimer's Landing Warrior Guild has the same thing. I don't know if all the other chapters have it.

It's not really the same thing. You'd have to use both to understand the differences though. It's not even important enough to point out out really, I'm just anal.

Warriorbird
02-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Definitely not the same.

Joe
02-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Unrelated to this event, Marsha started a course of events yet again with one of my characters. The net result being a 30 day lockout even though I have a clean account history going back to '95. I've no desire to continue to support such draconian actions so I've cancled all 3 accounts and my wife is doing the same shortly.

Shame. Simu just lost 2400$/year plus all paid events. (4 premie accounts, 2 basic).

Do tell. Inquiring minds and all that. :)

Heshinar
02-01-2008, 07:47 PM
What is with Simu.

I understand the AFK Scripting. I understand nerfing things but it seems Simu has a problem with people moving anywhere with any speed. With the population dropping a little every so often and the prices way out of wack.

When did this game go from being a game for fun and amusement for people and turned into a power trip for the owners and those who are given GM positions to futher their own limited visions rather than actually enhance the game play.

Halstein
02-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Just as a PPS... If you ran four accounts and your wife ran one, you'll be back. It's not crack folks, it's heroine.

3 accounts each, and I promise I won't be back. More then entertainment, I stand behind my principles.

Nauriel
02-01-2008, 09:01 PM
I cannot think of anything productive that hasnt been said but AHAHAHAAHAHA! CHALLENGE, what a bloody freaking joke. I dont think ive ever used that verb in my years of playing unless it was on the other persons' end(I can count those times on one hand) and I have never gotten in trouble for CvC. Considering who I play mainly...yeah...;)

Mistomeer
02-01-2008, 09:58 PM

That's what is really shit about it. Simu keeps tracks of all warnings for an account and holds things against you going back 13 years. I've been told the line, "Given your account history..." At some point they should wipe the slate clean, but that's another matter.

As far as for coming back, alot of players come and go. However, as the player base declines the appeal lessens and the chances of players coming back and staying also declines.

TyrilPraedus
02-02-2008, 04:28 PM
CHALLENGE, what a bloody freaking joke. I dont think

Are you British ?

Methais
02-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Are you British ?

Did you write to feedback yet?

Warriorbird
02-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Write to Feedback. SGMs can even be brought down.

Methais
02-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Write to Feedback. SGMs can even be brought down.

http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=27855&highlight=khaladon

In case he doesn't believe you.

Elvenlady
02-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Are you British ?

What's that got to do with it?!

(Proud of her Britishness)