PDA

View Full Version : Monk Armor and Weapons

Monk
01-29-2008, 08:51 PM
What kind of cool weapons and armor will us monks get? And what will they do? They better be uber or I will definetely *not* play.

Monks rule!

http://www.thefunnycats.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/ninja-cats1.jpg

Khariz
01-29-2008, 08:59 PM
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=2699

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
01-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Monks get weapons called fist, and armor called flesh. One shuts you up via punching your jaw, the other makes you cry and run away, then beat off for nine hours wishing you had super-ripped Iron Jacket-reinforced l33tness.

If monks don't get an Iron Jacket maneuver, I'll be pissed. Add +25 to physical DS, allow for a new outright damage negation via some sort of damage absorbing coolness, and only allow it while meditating, which monks should somehow be able to do while fighting. w00t w00t

Lucas
01-29-2008, 10:43 PM
Monks get weapons called fist, and armor called flesh. One shuts you up via punching your jaw, the other makes you cry and run away, then beat off for nine hours wishing you had super-ripped Iron Jacket-reinforced l33tness.

If monks don't get an Iron Jacket maneuver, I'll be pissed. Add +25 to physical DS, allow for a new outright damage negation via some sort of damage absorbing coolness, and only allow it while meditating, which monks should somehow be able to do while fighting. w00t w00t

lol ftw.

He should be able to float while meditating like that guy from street fighter. Also should be able to control weapons telekinetically.

Watch @ 3:00 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5WXS5KLok8&feature=related

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
01-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Uhm, buddy, Savants are also scheduled for release soonish... Redirect your entire post there. Monks are -real-, therefore, they should be given real techniques. Not turning monks into the lamest bard ripoff ever FTW

Makkah
01-29-2008, 11:26 PM
lol @ "soonish" GTFO n00b

Lucas
01-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Savants won't be out till 2010 at the very earliest. Not really looking forward to them. Same thing, different messaging imho. Play a sorc. Monks at least have a entirely new combat system that comes with them. Will be very interesting.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
01-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Right, but not only would levitation and telekinesis be completely out of place for monks, why would you assign two basic abilities of a profession that is already in development, to one that is in no way shape or form capable of it in any degree?

Lucas
01-29-2008, 11:41 PM
Eh, I have a different vision of a monk. I would also like to throw Chi Fireballs, like this....

http://images.elfwood.com/art/c/h/chenj/kamehameha.jpg.rZd.90854.jpg

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
01-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Chi... fireballs? Ok, I know this is a fantasy game, but geesh. I'd rather see major self-buffing and a well-versed set of offensive maneuvers. Chi may aswell be the same as spirit points, as far as Elanthia goes. Suppose monks may be able to harness it better, say, +2 Spirit Regen base, +1 per 10 ranks of blessings lore, when unarmed?

Lucas
01-30-2008, 12:07 AM
God, nomore "buffs", nomore +10 with angus lore and +20 to DS/TD/CS/ABCDEF/MICROSOFT/BBC. Lets do something new, rather then regen bonus of +10! Comeon you don't get another chance like this.

Anebriated
01-30-2008, 12:07 AM
Im gonna make a monk named walker texasranger. I will then proceed to oneshot everything with a roundhouse kick to the face. damn straight.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
01-30-2008, 12:19 AM
Sorry to disappoint, Lucas, but these are Monks, not dragonball characters. Monks focus their chi, and mentally prepare themselves to achieve tremendous things. They don't throw balls of mental energy, or regenerate instantly, much less levitate. Don't turn the potentially coolest class in game into some lame party-trick flashing weakling.

Massive self-cast, or better yet, maneuver-based defense and offensive buffs based off of increased focus, mental toughness, and muscle control should be the end-all of Monk "flash". Not sure there's anything cooler than being able to put cinder blocks on your head, have a guy with a sledgehammer break said blocks, and walk away unharmed.

dszabo
01-30-2008, 01:26 AM
In defense of the Chi Fireball...it could be a high rank ability, level 25 spell or something costing Chi, not mana, to use, 1sp or something per bolt. It also wouldn't be a fireball, it would be a wave of force. This would work out great with a hypothetical +to spirit regen for monks...just a thought.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
01-30-2008, 02:09 AM
Again, more along the lines, actually, exactly along the lines of what Savants will be involved with. Savants do all that mental sort of stuff, Monks are just guys with an extremely high mental threshold, and a ridiculous amount of training and focus.

AestheticDeath
01-30-2008, 02:39 AM
Honestly I would prefer monks have very limited need of spells. I see them as more of a physical type. Square, or at best semi. The less buffs the better.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
01-30-2008, 04:51 AM
What I'm saying is, since lord knows they wont develop a chi system or anything, allow for Monks to have spirit-based self-buffing passive, and activated "abilities", similar to cmans, that raise their agility, dex, str to a modest degree, constitution quite a bit, and overall defense capabilities. Make lore a big factor, since ACTUAL monks -do- require more and more knowledge of their own capabilities, to become stronger, and stronger. Something along the lines of a muscle mastery cman would be perfect!

thefarmer
01-30-2008, 06:20 AM
Honestly I would prefer monks have very limited need of spells. I see them as more of a physical type. Square, or at best semi. The less buffs the better.

Agreed.

I'd actually like them to be a truncated version of a semi, with only one spell list with a large portion that would mimic the ranger Assume Aspect.. more internal aspects.. but not as lame. So, basically you pray, or whatever and get +Con, +St, -AU to your stats, and possibly a passive effect like increased dodge ranks. Instead of just a flat +ST like the strength spell adding +15, it's all based on your initial stats.

I'd also like to see a huge number of (GOOD) Cman/guild skills that would take advantage of the (Upcoming soon!) unarmed combat mechanics or whatever they're calling it (something like 3x brawl would be fun), to balance out the lack of two spell lists, like normal Semis.

Lysander
01-30-2008, 09:15 AM
I agree with everyone and want Monks more square then semi. Would like their power to come from martial art styles and tactical situational combat rather then prep 101, you are surrounded by a silver cloud or some such nonesense.

Stat boosts are a great idea too, especially if they can become "super human". Actually envision monks like a Captain America, a super human person able to achieve superhuman feats.

I would like to see monks *not* use any weapons and armor.

Instead, I would like to see monks progress their characters through meditation or killing certain critters and ultimately improve their skills in a respective school. It'll be the same thing as getting weapons and armor, at least in terms of the time factor, but I think it'll be more fun and more RP intensive.

Oh, and Chi Fireballs or Mana Fireballs is a absolute must. Sometimes DBZ just gets it right.

Latrinsorm
01-30-2008, 11:20 AM
"He should be able to float while meditating like that guy from street fighter."

That guy??? You're asking for a Yoga fuckin' Wet Willy, pal.

If monks get chi fireballs I'd like to get a feature alteration to "he has eyes like ^_^ OMG KAWAII".