PDA

View Full Version : HJ and GS

Simu Guy
01-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Hmmm, so most of you I doubt will join the online revolution when the church of Simu releases HJ. Mainly because theres a thousand graphical MMOs out there and all of you have decided to stick it out with GS. And many of you have tried those graphical games and have come back to GS.

but....but...BUT!

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/57/01/22610157.jpg

Do you believe that it can work the other way round? Do you think that graphical MMOers seeking a graphical game will be attracted to a text based game? And thus naturally will HJ's marketing and over game attraction actually filter down to GS DR and the other text based games? IF HJ completely bombs, is Simu's calculating even counting on some players moving to their many text based alternatives?

Drew
01-27-2008, 12:08 PM
It might help some, but if it does bomb I can't imagine it giving that much of a boost. The better it does the more players likely to try GS/DR.

Bobmuhthol
01-27-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm pretty sure there would be a nil yield of MMO players switching to GS. No one in their right mind plays video games, sees a MUD, and says, "Shit, I want to pay more every month to play GS than WoW!!"

The Ponzzz
01-27-2008, 12:32 PM
MUDs will always have a place for many people. GS/DR's main target segment for marketing would be table top RPGers. Followed by avid book readers who enjoy fantasy novels. And I'd rank people who just want to play an MMO online RPG as third. If you do a search, you will notice there are 1000s of text based RPGs ranging from fantasy to anime to even present day earth like games (like The Sims).

When I took a break from GS several years ago, I hopped over and played FFXI. I loved the game a lot, but my addiction only lasted until leveling my 4th job to level 30 and unlocking paladin, dragoon, ninja and beastmaster. The game lacked a huge entertainment piece I loved in GS. That was the interaction/RP of it all. Now there is interaction in most MMORPGs, but nothing you won't get from playing a single player RPG like any of the Final Fantasies and so on. Sure I made friends in the game and enjoyed doing the quests with them, but it was missing something for me.

So while on the break, I started a table top campaign for Rifts (Palladium Worlds RPG, by far one of the better games I've every played) with several of my friends. I GM'd as usual and we had some good fun. But I sort of get pissed off playing table top because everyone's attention goes elsewhere. Generally, most my friends had their laptops and we had a movie on in the background. So they would be surfing the web, email watching the movie or doing retarded shit. So again, I feel I'm missing something. FFXI brought the fun of an endless RPG to play while the table top brought the creativity that GS has, but I still found myself looking for another game. That is when I came back to GS.

The main issue with people all flocking to GS/DR is simply right down to the price. The majority of the text based games out there are free. I want to say there is only a small handful that have monthly fees, while the others who have dollar signs attached are strictly donation only. Most table top gamers are either A). Broke or B). Cheap. It's next to impossible to get them to pay $14.95 a month to play GS. And if they hear about Premium and Platinum's prices, they flip out. The issue is, they are paying for a game, which in my opinion, is a lot better than any of the free ones and the majority of the pay ones when it comes to text based games. This is why I think Simu as a whole needs to adapt to a subsciption package deal for paying for a year ahead of time or they need to offer more in terms of free and discounts to new (legit new) customers. But it's hard, I know this.

I don't think GS is just another MMORPG to play. I think it's a whole different entity from the graphic world in general. I'd honestly say, that GS and any graphic game could go together because they aren't the same. For example, playing WoW and GS together isn't crazy to do. So I don't think the market share is there with other graphic games to send them to GS. What it comes down to, is time management with your gaming hobbies. Most people can't juggle playing multiple online games. Because lets be honest, online gaming is a huge time sink. And once you're past college, there are only so many hours in the day if you work a career.

This post went a lot longer than I wanted it to go. And I most likely just responded to another Backlash name anyways...

crazymage
01-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Soriel/Backlash!?

Stanley Burrell
01-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Soriel/Backlash!?

Totally my first impression too, heh.

The Ponzzz
01-27-2008, 02:27 PM
My guess is CydeR, Soriel, Griffith and Hunter D are all Backlash, along with this person as well. But, I dunno. I've been saying it for weeks. Outside you old timers here on the PC, who the fuck would come here out of the blue and start up on the political threads.

7Seconds
01-29-2008, 02:33 PM
The only way I can see Simu getting MORE players to play their games would be to come up wit some kind of blanket subscription, that would alow of basic/premium access to EVERY game they currently host. This would lead to another problem though... Cost, where they to do this, I seriously doubt that the price for this new subscription would be lower then $50 and even then only basic access...

On a more intelengent note, where SIMU to allow for the $2.50 extra character slots to cover basic access for one character in other games awy from your primary, they may stand a chance of actualy getting some where.

Example: I is GSPremium, I pay 2.50 more for a single Premium Character in DR, yay! Now I'm paying 33.00 a month to simu for 2 games, where as before I was paying 30 for 1. Boooooo.

If you hold a standard account in one, you'll get a standard character slot.

If you hold a premium account in one, you'll get a premium character slot.

Then again, Simu could just drop the prices across the board by about $8 and net a return of probably 2x the buisness. ::Shrug::

Methais
01-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Hmmm, so most of you I doubt will join the online revolution when the church of Simu releases HJ. Mainly because theres a thousand graphical MMOs out there and all of you have decided to stick it out with GS. And many of you have tried those graphical games and have come back to GS.

but....but...BUT!

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/57/01/22610157.jpg

Do you believe that it can work the other way round? Do you think that graphical MMOers seeking a graphical game will be attracted to a text based game? And thus naturally will HJ's marketing and over game attraction actually filter down to GS DR and the other text based games? IF HJ completely bombs, is Simu's calculating even counting on some players moving to their many text based alternatives?

You forgot to add the correct answer as an option: It's a non issue since HJ is never going to come out.

Stanley Burrell
01-29-2008, 02:44 PM
You forgot to add the correct answer as an option: It's a non issue since HJ is never going to come out.

:blush: Yo, dude: I totally forgot, my bad:

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/2241/facepalm2ic7copyrl2.jpg

Methais
01-29-2008, 02:58 PM
:blush: Yo, dude: I totally forgot, my bad:

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/2241/facepalm2ic7copyrl2.jpg

Except you didn't make the poll, so what was there to forget?

Stanley is Backlash and forgot to switch to his Simu Guy account!

Asha
01-29-2008, 03:04 PM
No-one on this planet could encapsulate the traits of Backlash AND Stanley and survive.
Not as one single person.

Lucas
01-29-2008, 03:36 PM
No-one on this planet could encapsulate the traits of Backlash AND Stanley and survive.
Not as one single person.

They do speak of a chosen one that will come to this world born under the triple equinox... that can.

Stanley Burrell
01-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Except you didn't make the poll, so what was there to forget?

Stanley is Backlash and forgot to switch to his Simu Guy account!

Thought you wanted pacepalms for each post. Or was it a specific identity of his. I forget.

radamanthys
01-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Graphical MMOs are like watching a movie. GS is like reading a book. The book takes a whole lot longer to read, but it allows for more immersion than, say, a movie does. Also allows for more definition of character.

Sthrockmorton
01-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Graphical MMOs are like watching a movie. GS is like reading a book. The book takes a whole lot longer to read, but it allows for more immersion than, say, a movie does. Also allows for more definition of character.

And here I've been playing GS for so many years for its Wizard FE entrance music and quality images.

Methais
01-30-2008, 02:19 AM
Thought you wanted pacepalms for each post. Or was it a specific identity of his. I forget.

Oh that's right, my bad.

http://will.incorrige.us/facepalm/1166293700503.jpg

radamanthys
01-30-2008, 04:02 AM
I like books more than TV/Movies.

http://www.forumspile.com/Misc-FFS-Worf.gif

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
01-30-2008, 05:01 AM
You're the only one. Well, if I was saying that in a forum not-related to a MUD, I might have been right. Ahwell, was good for the three seconds I allowed it to last. BEGONE READER!

radamanthys
01-30-2008, 06:04 AM
You're reading this.