PDA

View Full Version : Official Rolemaster Monk Spells/Skills/Unarmed Combat

Griffith
01-21-2008, 10:18 AM
I have noticed Simu's tendency to follow Rolemaster as a guideline for developing their game. Essentially, with some modifications, nearly all their implemented rules/professions what have you are from ICE law books (just delayed a decade or so later after they get printed).

Here is the official Monk spells,skills, Unarmed combat from Rolemaster. Enjoy.

Unarmed Combat:

http://www.geoste.com/dloads/crit_brawling.pdf

http://www.geoste.com/dloads/crit_grapple.pdf

http://www.geoste.com/dloads/crit_ma_strikes.pdf

http://www.geoste.com/dloads/crit_ma_sweeps.pdf

Monk Spells:

http://www.geoste.com/dloads/spell_description_guide.pdf

http://www.geoste.com/dloads/monk.pdf

Mentalist Spells:

http://www.geoste.com/dloads/mentalist.pdf

Similarities between spell lists (compare with play.net):

http://www.geoste.com/dloads/sorcerer.pdf

http://www.geoste.com/dloads/paladin.pdf

General Website for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.geoste.com/rpg_dl_rolemaster.htm

Stanley Burrell
01-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Holy crap. That would be so awesome if there were new stackable monk massies.

I'm embarrassed to say this, but I've never heard of Loremaster before -- You think, hands down, the devs and idea people are inspired by this? The monk's waterlungs and gaslungs special ability reminds me of "air spores" from D&D a little.

BigWorm
01-21-2008, 11:25 AM
You now the whole De-ICEing thing? That was when Simu removed all of Iron Crown Enterprise' intellectual property (RoleMaster) from the game. Originally, Simu licensed the content, but either they or ICE decided not to renew the contract, so Simu removed all the stuff. You can still see some remnants of its influence in some terms player's use: Alkars was the ICE name for 120; instead of DS, it had DB, hence DB items, etc.

thefarmer
01-21-2008, 11:36 AM
There aren't that many people who are still around from that time period, much less in Dev.

They might take some idea, but I doubt it'll be heavily based on them.

CrystalTears
01-21-2008, 11:38 AM
They may get ideas, but it won't be much like that, considering they're steering away from having more than one version of a spell. They'll just have it increase in mana through the levels or something. And some spells there won't even make sense in GS anyway.

AestheticDeath
01-21-2008, 04:27 PM
I hate pdfs

Celephais
01-21-2008, 04:38 PM
I hate pdfs
Me too... PDFs suck, F'n hate them.

That and I looked at the links and first thing I read was goatse, not geoste... That's just a bad sign.

Soriel
01-21-2008, 05:14 PM
I do see your point on Paladin spells being similar to the GS paladin spells. Some key spells are directly taken and translated to GS mechanics. Some spells however are not, 1640 comes to mind. But that spell is super idiotic and they are considering getting it replaced (it was a filler spell plain and simple).

The sorcerer spells are directly taken from the Rolemaster version. BUT sorcs have been around before the DeICEing.

Hunter D
01-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Considering, that the monk folder is fairly devoid of suggestions I don't know how exactly they will be trying to get ideas for monks.There are many creative people on staff, but making unique spells is fairly difficult. I think they'll take the "theme" or "feel" from the original rolemaster so "mind and body" theme spell or "Body Alteration" spell etc. Then they'll add a couple of player thought out spells. Then maybe a spell or two from some other super popular MMO. Then Wham! they got a spell list.

I'm actually more interested in what the minor mental list is going to turn out as.

AestheticDeath
01-21-2008, 06:06 PM
I'd be interested in seeing some sort of spell resistance for monks, as a static ability.. not a spell. And some sort of concealment, 50% of the hits miss etc...

Wisdom bonus adding to DS along with reflexes.

Becoming immune to non-enchanted weapons... HAH

Monks are one of my favorite classes in other games, but somehow I doubt Simus version will stand up to my expectations.

Drew
01-22-2008, 06:27 AM
You now the whole De-ICEing thing? That was when Simu removed all of Iron Crown Enterprise' intellectual property (RoleMaster) from the game. Originally, Simu licensed the content, but either they or ICE decided not to renew the contract, so Simu removed all the stuff. You can still see some remnants of its influence in some terms player's use: Alkars was the ICE name for 120; instead of DS, it had DB, hence DB items, etc.

The funny part about DB items is that DB used to refer to DS as you said, but a "DB" item wasn't a wearable item that helped you defend like it is now. A DB item could be a shield, armour, or whatever. Kinda funny how DB stuck for the non standard cloaks, pinworns, boots, etc. but not for regular defensive items.

Warriorbird
01-22-2008, 08:55 AM
There were a fair amount of early good Monk ideas... then the class didn't happen for years. Ideally they'll have kept some.

The Ponzzz
01-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Wulfhen's player and I came up with a pretty good spell list idea just for monks. I posted it, but with the post count cut offs, and a new computer, I don't have the text I wrote.

GM Estild, GM Oscuro and GM Mestys talked with us a little bit at SimuCOn at the round tables. But they all got good heads on their shoulders. I know the idea of "phantom" ranks of dodge were out of the question. But who knows!

I look forward to unarmed combat and monks like whoa! I am against converting if the only requirement would be brawling... With fixskills available anyone can do it and that just don't sit right. Atleast with paladins, you had to be a certain class (profession).

BigWorm
01-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Mario, this kind of ties into that whole conversation we were having at Simucon about the viability of lighter armors. While there may be some disagreement about whether rogues should be able to wear plate and hiding and shit, I think most people will agree that monks shouldn't be in full plate. However, while monks are on the list of thinks for 2008, I didn't see anything about armor changes (or the hiding changes that are waiting on armor changes...).

Is Mestys still the only GM for Semis? I know Oscuro seems like he was the one taking the lead at least for the monk spell list, but four semi professions including the release of one under the guruship of one person seems like a lot to put on Mestys plate to me.

Latrinsorm
01-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Mestys is the only guy listed under Semis, but there are 5 other GMs (1 full, 1 contributing, 3 assistant) and 3 apprentices listed under the Combat/Magic/Tech section. I would assume he is not alone.

The Ponzzz
01-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Mestys does rock a whole bunch. And BigWorm, WHO R U?! Heh! Assuming we met at SimuCon...

Warriorbird
01-22-2008, 01:12 PM
I'd love to see monks get some of the mostly-legendary inner kung abilities that get referred to in Kung Fu books occassionally. Red Sand Palm...Iron Stomach...it'd be hilarious if monks could make themselves immune to Groin Kick for a mostly non useful ability.

I think it'd be totally awesome if monks got alternate ways to avoid attacks or to make more than one attack in a single round. Reactive combat would be very sweet too. IE: Make a responding attack whenever swung at.

The Ponzzz
01-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Yea, counter strikes would be pretty awesome. Even if a spell is needed to start that...

Warriorbird
01-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Yeah...it'd be worth even a 60 second duration thing.

The Ponzzz
01-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Then they could rock out some lores to add more awesomeness to it. I'd keep that up.

I hope to make a monk my secondary main character.

AestheticDeath
01-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Monk class does have the potential to become one of the better classes if they do it right.

I sincerely hope they do not allow ANYONE to convert for any reason. Everyone should start from level 0.

BigWorm
01-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Mestys does rock a whole bunch. And BigWorm, WHO R U?! Heh! Assuming we met at SimuCon...

I'm Charlie, which probably won't help you much. We went to Panera with Michiko (i think?) the first day I was there (friday, I think). You guys were cool because it was my first Con and you kind of showed me the ropes.

thefarmer
01-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Attending your first Con is always a fun time. It's nice to put a RL face to the virtual names you've seen for years.

I haven't been able to go to another one in years. Maybe I'll see about attending the next one.

Who knows? Maybe there'll even be monks then.

The Ponzzz
01-22-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm Charlie, which probably won't help you much. We went to Panera with Michiko (i think?) the first day I was there (friday, I think). You guys were cool because it was my first Con and you kind of showed me the ropes.

Hahah, Charlie! I remembered you by name! Mickiko didn't go to SimuCon. Was Anatae from Platinum. Fuck, you and I got hammered outside.

BigWorm
01-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Hahah, Charlie! I remembered you by name! Mickiko didn't go to SimuCon. Was Anatae from Platinum. Fuck, you and I got hammered outside.

Gotcha, Anatae. I'm so bad with putting names to faces, which is why I kept calling you Tony the first day. We weren't the only ones who got hammered outside. That game lead to an obscene amount of Jaeger shots, so we're lucky we all didn't end up passed out on the side of the hotel.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
01-23-2008, 11:46 AM
I wasn't even playing and I got fucked up.

BigWorm
01-23-2008, 12:59 PM
I wasn't even playing and I got fucked up.

Which one were you?

Celephais
01-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Damnit... I need to try attending a con, I want to get hammered w/ Mario.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
01-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Which one were you?

I'm the one that got the 2 bottles of yager.

BigWorm
01-23-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm the one that got the 2 bottles of yager.

Gotcha. If I remember correctly, those were liberated from the clutches of some DR players, but I could easily be confused considering the amount of consumption we all took part in that night.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
01-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Yep, I did indeed liberate them.

Makkah
01-23-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm so glad there's so much talk of monks and spells here!

Stanley Burrell
01-23-2008, 06:43 PM

MONKS AND SPELLS

BigWorm
01-23-2008, 06:50 PM

Hey guys, remember when we were talking about monks and spells at Simucon? That was fucking awesome!