PDA

View Full Version : Monks and Unarmed Combat

Hunter D
01-16-2008, 08:22 PM
After reading through the official monk forums I was curious if there will be any monk only specific moves or actions they can access through the new unarmed combat system. Or will all their monk powers be through their spells? Whats your opinion on the matter?

AestheticDeath
01-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Wait for them to come out, and find out.

But somehow I really doubt unarmed combat means casting spells for everything. That would just be another pure. I see it as a form of semi, with some physical fighting prowess from martial arts, and some mental spells to give them more focus and supplement their martial arts, perhaps and hopefully with a haste effect(yeah right) but more than likely just a few cheesy AS boosters, assuming the new unarmed combat even works with AS/DS or AvD junk.

With the time they spent coding it, I can only assume they are making something that is not based off the normal systems, like AS/DS or Voln Fu.

But I haven't read anything about them, cause I never really anticipated them coming out before I leave or die. So its all guess work.

Danical
01-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Do you REALLY think monks will be out in 2008?

EDIT: Just curious and not targeting anyone.

Stanley Burrell
01-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Monks took a while because being able to walk across the Tibetan mountain precipices, without ever setting a foot on lowground, suspended by only a thin sheaf of unrolled rice paper r 4 realz important.

Soriel
01-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Wait, I don't understand why any of you voted for monks to derive their power entirely from spells...that means like a warrior would be able to get monk like martial arts skills at the same level as a monk, which doesn't make much sense. Why not just roll up a warrior then?

Stanley Burrell
01-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Why not just roll up a warrior then?

Because anything not Warrior = anything not Warrior?

Griffith
01-16-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm abot 95 % sure monks will be out by 08'. I know a lot of you make the Monks coming 2004! arguement, but that works both ways...it literally has been 4 years now since they promised it. Although, Simu is poor at keeping schedule they usually do get stuff out eventually.

Hunter D
01-16-2008, 09:48 PM
I think many people want access to the unarmed combat system without any other profession being able to gain more access, so they can be the "best" without having reroll into a monk. I think this is a bit selfish.

Lysander
01-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Definetly want to do some cool monk moves. Flying tiger lion kick to your face!

Savageheart
01-17-2008, 11:27 AM
PSIONS!

BigWorm
01-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Rather than all AS boosters, I think unarmed combat should have DF boosters, like the Paladin spell Arm of the Arkati, but it should only work with monk-style weapons (unarmed, staff, some brawling weapons).

Hunter D
01-17-2008, 01:13 PM
How bout combos?

Like Grapple, head lock, pummel... or side wind kick, takedown, neck break or whatever. And why derive all their power from spells? Wouldn't that make them boring?

Stunseed
01-17-2008, 05:14 PM
They will be semi's. Like all semi classes, you can be physical, mental or mix. I'd imagine like all semi's, Monks will have the same opportunity.

Hunter D
01-17-2008, 10:12 PM
I hope monks are made for unarmed combat though. Like they couldn't exist without it and are the only ones capable of fully utilizing it. Else they would just be a warrior with some funky spells imho.

Axhinde
01-18-2008, 02:27 AM
I think Monks, as semis, should derive their prowess from the physical and utilize spells as enhancements. Or they could incorporate them into the basic structure of the Monk, whereas certain combos of unarmed combat would benefit from different spells.

I still would like to see the Savant class scrapped in favor of a Druid pure class.

thefarmer
01-18-2008, 06:21 AM
What would be the difference betwen savant and druid? The name?

CrystalTears
01-18-2008, 07:31 AM
I don't believe savants would have been anything like druids.

Soriel
01-18-2008, 09:37 AM
You can sorta roll up a druid already by rolling up a ranger.