PDA

View Full Version : Vulturing?

Wezas
12-11-2003, 10:30 PM
My bard character walks into TSC, and not 3 seconds later (I was in the middle of typing something to ask for healing) I get this:

Transfusion whispers, "Say might you be wanting a touch a healing?"

I guess technically he wasn't vulturing, but "looking" at everyone who walks in the door to see if they have injuries and then whispering?

I ended up asking one of the other empaths if they had a moment to heal me.

Opinions?

Camri
12-11-2003, 10:33 PM
At least he asked. I've walked in there before and been jumped on by more than one healer, without even the courtesy of asking me if I wanted it.

Snapp
12-12-2003, 12:46 AM
That's kinda odd.. and I'd feel kind of annoyed too if it was really that quick. But as Camri said, at least he asked?

Kitsun
12-12-2003, 02:07 AM
I'd call it service, heh! He's someone that could've just nabbed all the wounds but probably has a macro to ask folks instead. I usually appreciate some attention fast rather than asking and getting silence for 20 minutes.

longshot
12-12-2003, 04:27 AM
I think that was fine. He asked.

I used to get pissed if people started healing me without saying anything... but if they asked, it wasn't a problem.

One person wouldn't accept tips because they had asked me. I thought that was a classy thing to do.

Kurapira
12-12-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by longshot
I think that was fine. He asked.

I used to get pissed if people started healing me without saying anything... but if they asked, it wasn't a problem.

One person wouldn't accept tips because they had asked me. I thought that was a classy thing to do.

My rule of thumb is this..

If I ask - no tips.

I nod - give people the warning and time to react to my movements.

I am not going to get started on vultures. I just want to kill them all. I HATE them!

Transfusion did ask though before grabbing at you. So it's not as bad as it could have been. Be thankful he did that much.

Ilvane
12-12-2003, 06:51 AM
I don't think that's being a vulture, he was at least nice enough to ask you about healing.

-A

StrayRogue
12-12-2003, 07:01 AM
He asked. How the fuck is that vulturing?

Miss X
12-12-2003, 07:05 AM
Well, its not vulturing but can be annoying. There is one empath in Ta'Il, when shes healing in the Dais she asks everyone whos injured if they want healing, as soon as they walk in. She's a nice girl, but it gets a bit much when she's healing everyone without giving the rest of us a look in.
Fair enough, I hunt more than heal these days but there are some empaths there who only heal, and they get pretty pissed with her too.

StrayRogue
12-12-2003, 07:18 AM
The way I see it, if she is quick enough to look at you, then have the courtesy to whisper, good game to her.

Miss X
12-12-2003, 07:28 AM
Well, as someone who doesnt play an empath you would see it that way!!! ;-)

StrayRogue
12-12-2003, 07:36 AM
As someone whom gets hurt often while hunting (and I can say I am speaking for a good proportion of the game here), in all honesty, what I care about most, or what I think matters most to me, is how quick I can be healed and back out in the field.

Vestarr
12-12-2003, 08:14 AM
As a warrior who also gets hurt quite often huntin i like to know people are watchin. But if they just heal me as i walk into a room thats just wrong ...i have another problem with empaths that dont do a complete heal .Maybe ,not being an empath im wrong, but isnt taking blood a part of the healin practice .theres a few empaths that will heal you if you ask but dont bother with the blood ...if yer down low ye cant hunt .That doesnt help anyone either

Czeska
12-12-2003, 08:19 AM
Before I had an empath, I'd hate it when someone would leave me low on blood. Now that I have an empath, I find I have to heal myself for a moment and then try to get the blood and the person's gone. Ah well.

In regards to vulturing..
I agree with "at least he asked". No biggie. TSC has been so insanely busy the last few nights, it's been pretty much a free for all. We were nodding at the beginning, but then when there are 4 people yelling "Healing please!" and the scroll is insane, well we just pretty much healed whoever asked. If any empath there wasn't fried, I'd be shocked.

At least people weren't dropping dead, which is the goal, I would say.

Vestarr
12-12-2003, 08:23 AM
I agree with you on the waitin til they heal themselves down for the blood ,if you wait and then ask "when you fix yerself can ya gets me blood also" and they sigh and say "if i must" that is not right either ...and i apologise for getting slightly off topic

HarmNone
12-12-2003, 08:45 AM
Heh. I would refuse to be healed by anybody named Transfusion! :D

HarmNone

Czeska
12-12-2003, 08:47 AM
How about Ewthanasia (sp)

Myshel
12-12-2003, 08:54 AM
I don't think that is vulturing if he asked. He was polite, and I just want to get healed quickly. I always like it when the older empaths work with the young ones, the older ones take the wounds while the young ones give blood.

HarmNone
12-12-2003, 09:08 AM
Another thing that MIGHT explain the "overlooked" bloodloss is an invasion. If there are a lot of wounded, many times the empaths would concentrate on getting the wounds to stop the loss. Characters will regain the lost blood on their own, but if they keep bleeding they are dead meat.

Also, if the little ones are assigned to get blood, they often fall behind. They are not as experienced as the older healers and definitely not as fast. Yet, getting blood is a way for them to be useful during the more trying times. If you are not currently bleeding, you will recoup the bloodloss over time. It is not as important as keeping you alive by getting the actively bleeding wounds.

HarmNone

longshot
12-12-2003, 12:16 PM
Maybe this deserves its own thread...

but what is the proper ettiquette for an empath?

I think there are three classes.

1. straight vulters.

2. young empaths who are scared to do anything at all or get bitched at by characters that are many trains higher.

3. those that loathe the profession and desperatly try to distance themselves through some strange twist of mechanics that they call RP. They tend to look down on everyone but themselves.

What should an empath do?

Wezas
12-12-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
He asked. How the fuck is that vulturing?

First of all, why the fuck do you need to be so rude?

Secondly, I didn't say "Look, he's vulturing". I asked for opinions.

I walked into the room and 2.3 seconds later he whispers to me, likely not enough time to type that up, probably using a macro. Something about it just rubbed me the wrong way. To me it almost seemed like he was trying to undermind the other empaths there.

Do I mind being asked if I'd like to be healed? Of course not. It was just the almost bot-esque second-I-walked-in whisper that seemed odd.

StrayRogue
12-12-2003, 12:33 PM
Ah, the whining never ends.

I may start a thread: Lockpick Vulturing

"I walked into the east tower where one person was sat. He instantly declared he could pick anything under thirty trainings. What a bastard. I feel defiled that someone not only can comply to player imposed RP protocol, but has the audacity to use a macro to say a phrase he most likely uses all day as well! Again, what a bastard".

[Edited on 12-12-03 by StrayRogue]

HarmNone
12-12-2003, 12:36 PM
Heh. Hopefully, there is another class - a class that serves those who really enjoy healing and interacting with people, not just grabbing wounds for the sole purpose of gaining levels. There was once such a class, and it contained many enjoyably played empaths.

I played an empath only rarely, and it was not my own character. ;) Nevertheless, I did learn a little bit; although, the empath I played was very young at the time.

Proper etiquette was to acknowledge the person you were about to heal, whether with a nod, or a word of greeting, or some sympathy for their sad state. Then, assess the wounded individual and remove the wounds. Bloodloss could be left to younger empaths; although, some good empaths believed that they were responsible to heal all the wounds and the bloodloss, and did not share their "patients". One came to know who these empaths were and to respect their way of healing, as the good ones were not greedy.

Conversations were held between the wounded and the healer. Good wishes accompanied the newly healed back into the fray, as did spells of protection if they were needed or desired. All and all, everybody seemed to have a good time of it all.

By the time I left, much of this was no longer seen, especially in TSC. The new wave of heal-o-matics had taken over the scene in the wake of Banauge. It came quickly to the point where, if my ranger set foot in TSC, she was healed before she could blink by several mute empaths. Not a word was exchanged, and the screen scroll associated with trying to take wounds that were not even there was appalling.

So, what is etiquette today? I have no idea, to tell you the truth. However, from what I am hearing there is no etiquette. It is a meat market in TSC, and in many other of the common healing areas. Sad, really. :(

HarmNone

Czeska
12-12-2003, 12:41 PM
In my experience, it's the crowded places that generally lack ettiquette. Which considering the volume of "patients" is to an extent understandable.
When I heal in the crypt, it's been courtesy, RP, and pleasant guild speak for the most part. Voln usually isn't too bad.

Silversi
12-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Agree'd.. the public healing places are always pretty bad about vulturing, as much as I'm against vulturing, it does seem kind of hard to heal without doing that if you're going to learn anything in those places. When I'm in the Landing, I prefer to heal at voln, normally there is much more attention paid to ettiquette there. At the statue in Teras, I haven't noticed much vulturing, course... when there's only 30 people living in town, not much chance for it to happen, and I think most paitents have a personal physician that cares for them on the isle when they're available.. just my observation.

Jonty
12-12-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Wezas
Transfusion whispers, "Say might you be wanting a touch a healing?"

Ask him why the hell he's getting so close to your ear and whispering, and why he can't speak up like a normal person or whatever he is.

I hate when empaths whisper to try to get wounds, even if it's polite. I see it as a sneaky way to get more wounds than the other empaths and trying to hide their greed.

- Me

Czeska
12-12-2003, 01:07 PM
I'll whisper if there is a deader and it's crowded. Otherwise it gets lost in the scroll often, and they're laying there waiting.

Wezas
12-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Ah, the whining never ends.

I may start a thread: Lockpick Vulturing

"I walked into the east tower where one person was sat. He instantly declared he could pick anything under thirty trainings. What a bastard. I feel defiled that someone not only can comply to player imposed RP protocol, but has the audacity to use a macro to say a phrase he most likely uses all day as well! Again, what a bastard".

Again, I didn't say he was vulturing, it just rubbed me the wrong way. Obviously all of you feel differently, and perhaps I am wrong. As for whining? You attacked my question, I tried to clarify.

I knew not everyone would agree with me, but I try not to be one of those people who will only post if I feel that everyone will back me up.

Jonty
12-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Czeska
I'll whisper if there is a deader and it's crowded. Otherwise it gets lost in the scroll often, and they're laying there waiting.

In an invasion, I understand. If not, I just don't like it. I'll just ignore them, pretend I didn't hear them since they're speaking so low.

-Me

HarmNone
12-12-2003, 01:17 PM
Heh. There was once a time when an empath could take a stroll through the catacombs, or kobolds, pulling the wounds off youngins. These days, one would probably have one's head bitten off for healing them. After all, they are probably just the younger character of some empath somewhere! :D

HarmNone

Wezas
12-12-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by HarmNone
Heh. There was once a time when an empath could take a stroll through the catacombs, or kobolds, pulling the wounds off youngins. These days, one would probably have one's head bitten off for healing them. After all, they are probably just the younger character of some empath somewhere! :D

HarmNone

And maybe that's the reason I didn't like the situation I'm in. The fact that Wezas wouldn't do something like that. I asked for opinions, and I got opinions, and one person who loves to tell people they're wrong.

HarmNone
12-12-2003, 01:26 PM
I hear what you are saying, Wezas. In these times, if an empath went around pulling the wounds off of youngins, the empath would be accused of doing so only to increase his/her experience/levels. That was not the case, long ago. It was done to be helpful. Spells were given, conversations ensued, and friends were made. I do not think that would work in today's GemStone. More's the pity. :(

HarmNone

Nakiro
12-13-2003, 04:27 AM
Hi Wezas, good to see you around.

If anyone wants to know what the "problem" with empaths is now adays, all you have to do is read this thread to understand the huge diversity of opinion about JUST ONE form of practice.

Does it matter what I think? No. I don't really care to be blunt, mainly because I don't know anything else about that day. Was it slow? Where there any other empaths? had he just arrived? Did the other person say they were sleeping? Was he just trying to get some quick exp before he had to leave for work/school/whatever? Does it matter in the end anyway?

Empaths are whores! Blast them all to hell! All they want to do is heal me to advance, those scum-sucking bastards!

No in all seriousness, I'm not attacking your question Wezas. I'm just admiring the variety of responses it's produced.

That variety, like I said, is the "problem" with empaths. There is no clear definition on what is to be expected, and while some see this as a simple act of kindness, others view it as a frecious attack.

Which is it? Neither. Just some guy trying to play Gemstone 4 like he wants to to have some fun. Just try to keep that in mind next time you get "vultured", or "healed", whichever you think it is.

Nak

Praefection
12-13-2003, 02:07 PM
I am trying out an empath and when it's quiet I don't mind healing. Town central in the Landing is a three ring circus with ten acts during peak hours. What I find to be the most annoying thing to me (now as a new and young healer) when someone asks for healing I TRY and nod, say something or generally aknowledge they are there. Empaths who jump right on a person/body without saying or doing anything that I can see pisses me off. Maybe it's done in whispers but that's my biggest pet peeve. And since I don't really use healing macros (hell, I HATE computers for the scripting shit and so forth) I put it off. I try and type things in by hand but it doesn't work that well. So often times my girl is left watching and waiting for the more respectful healers who will let little ones in.

On a side note, all the long time healers have my respect for putting up with all this crap. I woulda killed someone. ;)

Meos
12-13-2003, 02:26 PM
i've stood in TC asking for healing for 10 minutes.... if they ask me if I want healin I shit my pants with joy

Myrianna
12-13-2003, 03:00 PM
Two points were brought up that I'd like to address...

1. I agree that it may have seemed wrong if there were other healers in the room, asking someone if they want healing immediately upon entrance to the room when there are other healers around doesn't seem right in my eyes. I'm not sure if it's considered "vulturing," but it does share the characteristics of it. Personally the only people Myr whispers to are those she knows well, or those she sees are bleeding all over the place and have been standing there, not getting healed. She doesn't care for the experience as much as she doesn't wish to watch someone die from not realizing how badly they are injured.

2. Regarding the empaths that are not taking bloodloss, at least one of the ones that Vestarr is refering to does not take it because it "regenerates," which is all well and good I suppose, if the person you are healing is not a giantkin who is down 200 blood and the regeneration of which will take ten minutes rather than the two minute regeneration of the empath's mana. He doesn't do it to help younger empaths, he does it because he doesn't feel it's worth it to finish the process. I understand not taking blood during invasions at times when empaths are fighting to keep themselves alive, but on a slow afternoon, it seems pointless to me.(I've been healed by the same person, and was down to 4 blood when he healed me, i asked a young empath to take my blood at that point, but not everyone knows who the younger empaths are to do so.)

Just my two cents... Mainly brought up because TC in the Trace is becoming like TSC in the landing, and I hate it.