PDA

View Full Version : It's not that bad...

Soriel
01-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Reading through these boards I realized many of you have no idea what the time and money it takes to make a game. For instance, SIMU is creating an entirely new engine. It took Funcom's Age Of Conan, WoW killer/I'm funded by the Norweigan government, 12 years to produce their engine.

10 years to finish their engine from scratch is pretty good. And the engine is like 90% of the development process, the rest of the game is just drudge work by creative people. I'm about 99% sure this game will be out by next year sometime BECAUSE it usually takes 2 years after an engine is built for a game to come out. This was the same with Vanguard, WoW, and most other games currently out in the MMO market.

Shari
01-13-2008, 07:00 PM
:rofl:

Gelston
01-13-2008, 07:03 PM
WoW took four years. Thats way under ten.

Stanley Burrell
01-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Reading through these boards I realized many of you have no idea what the time and money it takes to make a game. For instance, SIMU is creating an entirely new engine. It took Funcom's Age Of Conan, WoW killer/I'm funded by the Norweigan government, 12 years to produce their engine.

10 years to finish their engine from scratch is pretty good. And the engine is like 90% of the development process, the rest of the game is just drudge work by creative people. I'm about 99% sure this game will be out by next year sometime BECAUSE it usually takes 2 years after an engine is built for a game to come out. This was the same with Vanguard, WoW, and most other games currently out in the MMO market.

That stripper needs bigger boobs, imho.

Soriel
01-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Blizzard used it's proprietary Warcraft III graphics engine for WoW, with adjusting it to a MMO and developing the game itself 4 + (the time for Warcraft III engine) is about right on the money.

Soriel
01-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Further,after reading through this section, I think a lot of you have this antagonism against HJ and hope it never comes out. I gathered this from the fact that many of you have worked so hard at getting your items/characters to high levels etc... and know the game well.... so naturally you don't want to relinquish all that and start over in unknown territory.

I on the other hand see it as another chance for me to min/max another game. Which I consider the best part about video games.

Gelston
01-13-2008, 07:23 PM
It took them about 10 minutes to make Warcraft 3

Stanley Burrell
01-13-2008, 07:24 PM
WarCraft sucked after II, at least comparatively.

Graphical MMORPGs will always get outdated. Jesus, I remember the DAoC coat-of-arms hype. Comical.

Text-based gaming is never outdated of its roleplaying element. I just buy console/PC games and harvest my brain cells for positive gaming.