PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD Player - HDMI, 720p/1080i

Dwarven Empath
01-12-2008, 06:27 AM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3304908&sku=T24-9148&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM1543C

Gelston
01-12-2008, 06:31 AM
Now if I had a HD TV

kheldarin
01-12-2008, 06:42 AM
HD-DVD is pretty much going down the drain..

Gelston
01-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Do you work for Sony?

Revalos
01-12-2008, 09:19 AM
No, kheldarin just sees the same writing on the wall that a lot of people see right now. After Warner Brothers/New Line jumped on the Blu-Ray bandwagon, I agree that it is only a matter of time before Paramount goes too, and that would be the ball game.

I'd say by November, we'll be seeing some kind of HD-DVD trade in for Blu-Ray deal and this stupid war will finally be over.

BigWorm
01-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Agreed. Blu-Ray outsold HD-DVD big time this holiday season, and it looks like all the major studios that picked HD-DVD only are jumping ship. Other knowledge people I've talked about see this as a good thing as well. The technologies really aren't that different, so lots of people were just waiting for one or the other to win out before committing to a major purchase like that. I thought it might end up like the DVD+/-R thing and we would see dual-format players everywhere, but it really looks like Blu-Ray will end up on top.

Gelston
01-12-2008, 08:52 PM
I like HD-DVD because it doesn't have regions.

The Ponzzz
01-12-2008, 09:08 PM
No, kheldarin just sees the same writing on the wall that a lot of people see right now. After Warner Brothers/New Line jumped on the Blu-Ray bandwagon, I agree that it is only a matter of time before Paramount goes too, and that would be the ball game.

I'd say by November, we'll be seeing some kind of HD-DVD trade in for Blu-Ray deal and this stupid war will finally be over.

Yea, because there was a trade in for Laser Discs.

Revalos
01-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Yea, because there was a trade in for Laser Discs.

If VCDs had been out then, or DVDs competing with it, I bet there would have been.

There was a beta to vhs trade in deal.

Gelston
01-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Laser Discs were trying to be an upgrade from the long established VHS... They failed miserable.

Numbers
01-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Even if Bluray win the format war, it'll be kind of an empty victory, since a huge majority of customers couldn't care less about it. For one, most people don't own HD sets. For two, Bluray players are stupidly expensive. For three, most people are perfectly content with DVD's.

The reason DVD's were so successful is that you just needed to buy a relatively inexpensive DVD player, it worked with your current equipment, and they were vastly superior to VHS, both in quality and features.

Bluray is pretty much the opposite of all of that. You need to buy new, very expensive new equipment, the players are expensive, the movies are expensive, and aside from the picture quality, they have no advantages over DVD.

On the bright side, there are already Bluray burners out, and once the blank discs drop in price (they're currently around $7 per disc), it will be very nice having data backup discs that can hold so much.

Drew
01-12-2008, 09:38 PM
I have a laser disc, still use it sometimes, was the only way to watch scarface for a long while and the best way to see the original cut of star wars until last year.

fallenSaint
01-12-2008, 09:39 PM
They actually had some report about how many folks own digital sets now a days. Anyway the format war is mute, downloadable content is the way its going to go before the either format can hold the market for long. And HD DVD is certainly not looking long lived.

Sean of the Thread
01-12-2008, 09:49 PM
In the business section of the StPete Times today it says 15-17 million homes have still have analog only.. no digital.

There's a first come first serve coupon program to get up to two $39.99 coupons to purchase converter boxes before the nation goes completely digital by law by next FEB.

Interesting.

Gelston
01-12-2008, 10:10 PM
I don't care which way it goes eitherway. I don't have HD TV. If I did, I still have a PS3 for Blueray.

The Ponzzz
01-12-2008, 10:22 PM
I have an HD DVD player and I have a PS3, soI'm good either way.