PDA

View Full Version : Twins separated at birth meet, get married to EACH OTHER

Sylvan Dreams
01-11-2008, 06:57 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22612314/?gt1=10755

LONDON - Twins who were separated at birth got married without realizing they were brother and sister, a lawmaker said, urging more information be provided on birth certificates for adopted children.
A court annulled the British couple's union after they discovered their true relationship, Lord David Alton said.
"Everyone has a right to knowledge about their lineage, genealogy and identity. And if they don't, then it will lead to cases of incest," Alton said during a telephone interview Friday.

Alton first revealed details of the unusual case last month during a five-hour debate about a bill that would change regulations about human embryology.
"I was recently involved in a conversation with a High Court judge who was telling me of a case he had dealt with," Alton said according to a transcript of the Dec. 10 debate. "It involved the normal birth of twins who were separated at birth and adopted by separate parents.
"They were never told that they were twins," Alton said. "They met later in life and felt an inevitable attraction, and the judge had to deal with the consequences of the marriage that they entered into and all the issues of their separation."
Alton gave no additional details and would not reveal the name of the judge who told him about the case.
The High Court's Family Division declined to discuss or confirm Alton's account about the twins.
A child's right to know
Alton, an independent legislator who works at Liverpool's John Moores University, said the siblings' inadvertent marriage raises the wider issue of the importance of strengthening the rights of children to know the identities of their biological parents, including kids who were born through in vitro fertilization.
Under British law, only a mother has to be named on a birth certificate. Such certificates also are not required to identify births that result from IVF or to identify the sperm donor.
In addition, British law does not require parents to ever tell children that they were the result of donated sperm.
Alton believes this should be changed.
Alton said he favors an amendment to the Human Fertility and Embryology bill — which is still being debated in the House of Lords — that would require birth certificates of children born from donated sperm to say that and to identify the genetic father.
Referring to the twins' case, he said: "If you start trying to conceal someone's identity, sooner or later the truth will come out. And if you don't know you are biologically related to someone, you may become attracted to them and tragedies like this may occur."

Suppa Hobbit Mage
01-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Are they hot?

Sean of the Thread
01-11-2008, 07:05 PM
United Kingdom is our Alabama.

Drew
01-11-2008, 07:19 PM
How bizarre.

thefarmer
01-11-2008, 07:28 PM
I pictured that scene from the Crying Game... only doubled.

Snapp
01-11-2008, 07:29 PM
:weird:

Necromancer
01-11-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm skeptical of the timing of the issue and even more so of the conclusions drawn. Ultimate

Necromancer
01-11-2008, 10:59 PM
I'm skeptical of both the timing and the conclusions drawn by the situation. There's no logical connection between a case of incest and the 'necessity' for sperm donors needing to be on the birth certificate.

Just more evidence for the insanity that is juridical incest prohibitions.

CrystalTears
01-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Hey here's a fun fact...

... you kissed your sister, man!!

Latrinsorm
01-11-2008, 11:22 PM
I don't get how incest is still considered creepy.

01-14-2008, 02:50 AM
I don't get how incest is still considered creepy.

It is not nearly as creepy as the mutant childen that results from it.

http://aycu17.webshots.com/image/39056/2003019584035379282_th.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2003019584035379282)

ViridianAsp
01-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Hey here's a fun fact...

Apparently, it was more than kissings....Eww.

CrystalTears
01-14-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm going to get a lot of slack for this, I can already tell, but what the hell...

Why is this so ew? They didn't know they were twins, they didn't grow up together, they didn't know that they had a twin to begin with.

Now if you want to say well they didn't care and wanted to stay married and have children, that's another issue. But it looks like that marriage was annulled.

So how is it so awful if they had no knowledge of their relationship prior to their courtship?

Skeeter
01-14-2008, 11:34 AM
knee-jerk reaction.

Drew2
01-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Hey here's a fun fact...

Unlike everyone else, I appreciate your Eurotrip quote, CT.

CrystalTears
01-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Unlike everyone else, I appreciate your Eurotrip quote, CT.
OMG :heart: U! Thank you!

Jayvn
01-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Instead of annuling the marriage one could have simply learned to play the banjo.

Skeeter
01-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Or they could've borrowed my new book.

Your Mouth can't get Pregnant.

01-14-2008, 12:20 PM
I'm going to get a lot of slack for this, I can already tell, but what the hell...

Why is this so ew? They didn't know they were twins, they didn't grow up together, they didn't know that they had a twin to begin with.

Now if you want to say well they didn't care and wanted to stay married and have children, that's another issue. But it looks like that marriage was annulled.

So how is it so awful if they had no knowledge of their relationship prior to their courtship?

Because they still went there.

Sure, the fact that they eventually found out the truth and put it to and end relegates the incident to a Farrelly's Brother's comedy (Say it Isn't So) instead of a horror show like The Hills Have Eyes or the infamous X-Files episode "Home."

However the fact that it happened still merits a certain level of "ick."

Kyra231
01-14-2008, 12:50 PM

Put yourself in their place and then tell me you wouldn't say ew, family reunions, holidays, etc...here is the person you thought you'd love forever, married...had SEX with them & it's your BROTHER just across the way at the table.

Think anything could be more uncomfortable or it would be easy getting rid of that slimy feeling ?(or years of therapy depending on your threshold for emotional trauma)

~K.

CrystalTears
01-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Put yourself in their place and then tell me you wouldn't say ew, family reunions, holidays, etc...
And if this happened to me, there would be a fat chance in hell I'd even go to anymore family functions since this is the family who deceived me and kept a sibling from me.

I'm saying more "aw" because these poor people found love, something that isn't as common as people want to make it out to be, only to find that they're already related. I feel really bad for them.

TheEschaton
01-14-2008, 01:05 PM
yeah, that fucking blows.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
01-14-2008, 01:11 PM
I think if either one of em got "fixed", or they ensured they never had children, they should feel free to continue loving one another. I'm with CT, cause it is kind of sad.

Celephais
01-14-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm saying more "aw" because these poor people found love, something that isn't as common as people want to make it out to be, only to find that they're already related. I feel really bad for them.
How do you know they have a marriage of love? Maybe they're just really good at boning each other because they know what the other wants.

It might be, and then that really sucks that now it's been "tainted" in the public eye, but it's still really gross.

I'd be curious what peoples takes are compared to if they have a sibling of the opposite sex. The fact that I have a sister makes me shudder to think something like this could happen to someone. Obviously if they never knew and even if they had a kid and he turned out fine, no one would care/no harm done. But the revelation certainly put a damper on things for them.

TheEschaton
01-14-2008, 01:50 PM
I have a little sister, and the thought grosses me out so badly I kinda want to shower.

-TheE-

Jayvn
01-14-2008, 01:51 PM
did anyone ever watch the old horror movie bleeders? it involved twins and stuff.

Skeeter
01-14-2008, 01:54 PM
mmm hot lesbian twins.

And no I don't have a sister.

Clove
01-15-2008, 07:23 AM
They really are the worst twins ever.