PDA

View Full Version : Scripting is for the intelligent, enjoy the log. Smartest thing I ever did was quit

Jeurth
01-05-2008, 04:51 PM
[Valley]
From this hillcrest you can see much of the middle meadowlands and the hilly crests above the city of Wehnimer's Landing. Rocky ledges lie to the northeast with the meadows in every other direction. You also see a manticore, a sturdy modwir coffer, a rusty spoon and a flail.
Obvious paths: north, east, southeast, south
>kill
You swing an elegant blue mithril falchion at a manticore!
AS: +141 vs DS: +30 with AvD: +36 + d100 roll: +44 = +191
... and hit for 45 points of damage!
You ripped a chunk out of the manticore's right leg with that one.
The manticore is stunned!
Roundtime: 5 sec.
R>
*** ATTENTION: It appears that you might not be fully attentive to the gaming environment while using a script to gain experience, silver, and/or reps. This is a violation of GemStone IV's POLICY 18. If you are at the keyboard, please respond to this message by speaking aloud or using REPORT. Thanks. ***

Roundtime: 10 sec.

R>
A manticore stirs groggily.
R>
A manticore swings a closed fist at you!
You gracefully avoid the attack!
R>kill
AS: +141 vs DS: +32 with AvD: +36 + d100 roll: +29 = +174
... and hit for 34 points of damage!
Smash to the kneecap.
R>
A manticore limps southeast.
R>kill
You currently have no valid target. You will need to specify one.
>look
[Valley]
From this hillcrest you can see much of the middle meadowlands and the hilly crests above the city of Wehnimer's Landing. Rocky ledges lie to the northeast with the meadows in every other direction. You also see a sturdy modwir coffer, a rusty spoon and a flail.
>exp
Level: 13 Deeds: 3
Experience: 226892 Death's Sting: None
Exp. until next: 3108 Recent Deaths: 2
Mental TPs: 42 Fame: 322449
Physical TPs: 0 Mana: 6/6 max
(158 Mnt converted to Phy)

Your mind is becoming numbed.
>s
[Valley]
This shallow run is littered with large boulders that lead up to a stone wall to the west. Animal bones, bleached by the intense sun, lay in a pile near the wall.
Obvious paths: north, northeast
>look
[Valley]
This shallow run is littered with large boulders that lead up to a stone wall to the west. Animal bones, bleached by the intense sun, lay in a pile near the wall.
>ne
[Valley]
Dead and burned tree stumps hide playfully among the tall grasses of this rolling meadow country. The thorny undergrowth takes its toll on cloth garments and exposed flesh.
Obvious paths: northeast, south, southwest, northwest
>look
[Valley]
Dead and burned tree stumps hide playfully among the tall grasses of this rolling meadow country. The thorny undergrowth takes its toll on cloth garments and exposed flesh.
Obvious paths: northeast, south, southwest, northwest
>ne
[Valley]
Each footstep is swallowed by the sea of grass that flows across the meadows and hills around you. High above you see gulls dancing on the ocean breezes. You also see a flail.
Obvious paths: north, southwest, west
>look
[Valley]
Each footstep is swallowed by the sea of grass that flows across the meadows and hills around you. High above you see gulls dancing on the ocean breezes. You also see a flail.
Obvious paths: north, southwest, west
>w
[Valley]
From this hillcrest you can see much of the middle meadowlands and the hilly crests above the city of Wehnimer's Landing. Rocky ledges lie to the northeast with the meadows in every other direction. You also see a manticore, a sturdy modwir coffer, a rusty spoon and a flail.
>look
[Valley]
>look
[Valley]
>kill
AS: +141 vs DS: +98 with AvD: +36 + d100 roll: +67 = +146
... and hit for 20 points of damage!
Slash to the manticore's left leg hits high!
Kinda makes your knees weak, huh?
The manticore falls to the ground and dies.
R>
*** ATTENTION: This is your last chance to make it clear that you are actively at the keyboard. ***

Roundtime: 10 sec.

R>
A manticore just arrived.
R>
A manticore swings a closed fist at you!
You evade the attack by a hair!
R>stance defensive
>store weapon
You are now in a defensive stance.
>
You put an elegant blue mithril falchion in your leather sheath.
>loot
You search the manticore.
It had 135 silvers on it.
You gather the remaining 135 coins.
It had nothing else of value.
A manticore decays into compost.
>gird
>stance forward
>
You remove an elegant blue mithril falchion from in your leather sheath.
You are already holding a blackened vultite kite shield.
>
You are now in a forward stance.
>look
[Valley]
>look
[Valley]
>look
[Valley]
>kill
A manticore claws at you!
AS: +112 vs DS: +147 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +21 = +21
A clean miss.
A manticore heads south.
>
You currently have no valid target. You will need to specify one.
>look
[Valley]
From this hillcrest you can see much of the middle meadowlands and the hilly crests above the city of Wehnimer's Landing. Rocky ledges lie to the northeast with the meadows in every other direction. You also see a sturdy modwir coffer, a rusty spoon and a flail.
>exp
Level: 13 Deeds: 3
Experience: 226892 Death's Sting: None
Exp. until next: 3108 Recent Deaths: 2
Mental TPs: 42 Fame: 322545
Physical TPs: 0 Mana: 6/6 max
(158 Mnt converted to Phy)

Your mind is becoming numbed.
>s
[Valley]
This shallow run is littered with large boulders that lead up to a stone wall to the west. Animal bones, bleached by the intense sun, lay in a pile near the wall. You also see a manticore.
>look
[Valley]
This shallow run is littered with large boulders that lead up to a stone wall to the west. Animal bones, bleached by the intense sun, lay in a pile near the wall. You also see a manticore.
>look
[Valley]
>kill
AS: +141 vs DS: +40 with AvD: +36 + d100 roll: +9 = +146
... and hit for 16 points of damage!
Deft slash across chest draws blood!
The manticore takes a deep breath.
R>
Darioth just appeared.
You feel yourself being pulled away...
[Consultation Lounge]
The cozy surroundings of this simple conference room provide a much-welcomed respite from the chaos just outside its walls. You notice several plush chairs arranged casually around the room in a comfortable grouping. You also see a polished obsidian mirror.
Obvious exits: none
R>kill
Be at peace my child, there is no need to fight here.
>
You have just been awarded -665 experience points.
>

Darioth, this is your SECOND official warning, that long-term scripting is against GemStone IV policy. Further warnings could result in your being temporarily locked out of the game.

If you feel this warning was received in error, please speak to a GameHost by typing ASSIST REQUEST.

You can also learn more about GemStone IV policies online, by typing POLICY while in the game or by visiting http://www.play.net/gs4/gamepolicy.asp.

>
You have been awarded -135 silvers.
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
The cozy surroundings of this simple conference room provide a much-welcomed respite from the chaos just outside its walls. You notice several plush chairs arranged casually around the room in a comfortable grouping. You also see a polished obsidian mirror.
>kill
>
[script aborted]
>'huh
You say, "Huh."
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>sigh
You sigh.
>who

Active Players: 513

Staff on duty:
Senior GameHost Valyrka

Use WHO HELP for more options.
>'I am going to go nuts
You say, "I am going to go nuts."
>'seriously
You say, "Seriously."
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>report can you please get me out of here? Thanks
REPORT should only be used to notify the GemStone IV staff of emergency situations or gamewide technical errors. Please use ASSIST for general support.

Message sent to all online game staff. While no staff members are currently on duty, there are likely to be several lurking behind the scenes to investigate your report. If you feel the need to speak with the staff, please type ASSIST for a list of options.

>

SEND[Emeradan] Someone will be with you shortly.

>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>report Why did I get a warning without even being spoken to? I am here
REPORT should only be used to notify the GemStone IV staff of emergency situations or gamewide technical errors. Please use ASSIST for general support.

Message sent to all online game staff. While no staff members are currently on duty, there are likely to be several lurking behind the scenes to investigate your report. If you feel the need to speak with the staff, please type ASSIST for a list of options.

>Report that is unfair

REPORT {message}
Please rephrase your report to include a message, not just one word or a name. Thanks!

>

SEND[Emeradan] Someone will be with you shortly.

>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>who

Active Players: 509

Staff on duty:
Senior GameHost Valyrka

>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>who

Active Players: 514

Staff on duty:
Senior GameHost Valyrka

>whistle
You whistle tunelessly to yourself, remembering days past.
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>
Emeradan just arrived.
>
Emeradan says, "Good afternoon."
>nod
You nod.
>'Afternoon
You say, "Afternoon."
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
Also here: GameMaster Emeradan
>
Emeradan says, "I have a few concerns about your recent displays of unattended scripting in violation of POLICY 18."
>
Emeradan says, "GM Hunterleigh noticed this two days ago, at which time you received an official warning for it."
>
A tiny pterodactyl lifts its head and nuzzles Emeradan's ear before warbling a heart-rending melody.
>
Emeradan says, "Today, you were yet again unresponsive to multiple tests over a period of time, resulting in your second warning."
>
Emeradan asks, "Why is this?"
>'I didn't see them. I am here
You say, "I didn't see them. I am here."
>
Emeradan says, "Yes, you are here now."
>
Emeradan nods.
>
Emeradan says, "Twenty minutes ago, you were not."
>
Emeradan says, "And for a period of no less than ten minutes, you were not."
>'Just because I didn't see your messages doesn't meant I wasn't here
You say, "Just because I didn't see your messages doesn't meant I wasn't here."
>
Emeradan says, "When running a script of this nature in GemStone, you must remain attentive to the game environment."
>i
You are holding an elegant blue mithril falchion in your right hand and a blackened vultite kite shield in your left hand.
You are wearing a voluminous black stalking cloak, some sleek black stalking leathers, a plain gold ring, a fine golden topaz earring, a malachite studded steel clasp, a leather sheath and a crystal amulet.
Click INVENTORY HELP for more options.
>
Emeradan says, "You can see the first paragraph of POLICY 18 for clarification."
>store weapon
You put an elegant blue mithril falchion in your leather sheath.
(Change your default item by selecting store list.)
>store shield
You sling a blackened vultite kite shield over your shoulder.
(Change your default item by selecting store list.)
>'I'm sorry, but this is seriously pathetic
You say, "I'm sorry, but this is seriously pathetic."
>
Emeradan says, "You've received two official warnings for unattended scripting in two days."
>'I am not disrupting game play, and I am here
You say, "I am not disrupting game play, and I am here."
>
Emeradan says, "At this point and time, I'll be requiring you to review our game policies in full before considering your return to the game."
>

Please read the policy file at this time by typing POLICY and the page number that you wish to read. Once you have finished reading all of the policies, a GameMaster will return to answer any questions you may have.

>
Emeradan says, "When you've finished, I'll return to complete our consult."
>
Emeradan nods.
>
Emeradan walks away.
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>policy
Usage: POLICY {page}

GemStone IV Player Policy

Topics Page Topics Page
------------------------------ --------------------------------
Introduction.................1 Score Lists...................11
Role-Play....................2 GameMasters, Sages and Hosts..12
Abusive/Disruptive Behavior..3 Repair/Replacement Of Items...13
Player vs Player Conflict....4 Unique Items..................14
Solicitations................5 Game Mechanics and Changes....15
Character Names..............6 Quests And Special Events.....16
Bug Abuse....................7 Privacy.......................17
Delays Or Slowdowns..........8 Scripting.....................18
Transferring Characters......9 Violations Of Policy..........19
Character Purges............10 High Maintenance Guests.......20

Your next unread page is page 1.
>policy 18

GemStone IV Player Policy: Scripting Policy

ANY experience-gaining activity while being unresponsive to the gaming environment will be considered against policy. AFK scripting of ANY kind is entirely against policy and is an immediately warnable offense. In addition, ANY activity that allows you to gain NEW experience while using Rest Mode may result in a warning. If your attention is not in the game window, you should log out of the game or stop any experience, skill, or potential and/or actual money-making activities (e.g. fletching arrows for sale), to avoid being warned. The excuse that you looked away from the keyboard or left your desk only for a few minutes will not prevent you from gaining a warning since the Staff will have no way of verifying that fact.

Warnings for scripting or any unresponsive activities are based on the Staff's observation of the character, and the Staff's judgment may vary from instance to instance. Therefore, each instance of long term scripting will be judged independently. Furthermore, GMs have the right to verify any and all characters are following this policy at any time.

Exceptions: In general, if you are running a script or are in Rest Mode and are not gaining any NEW experience, skills, money, or an in-game advantage, it does not fall under this policy. Being AFK or in Rest Mode while absorbing experience you have already gained is not a violation of this policy. However, ANY activity that's deemed by staff to be disruptive or not in the best interest of the game or its players can be warned when discovered. (e.g., if you script moving in and out of a room, a warning may be issued because it causes undue screen scroll. If you are gaining skills passively, a warning may be issued based on your being unresponsive to the gaming environment. If your "Rest Mode" message is determined to be inappropriate, a warning may be issued based on the message being Out Of Character (OOC) or disruptive.)

For the purposes of this policy, all offenses by any character on an account can be treated as having occurred to the same character. As with other policy violations that lead to lockouts, accounts that are "linked" by any method including but not limited to name, address, or other billing information can be treated as the same account in regards to disciplinary action.

First offense: Player receives a formal warning, is moved to a consultation room, loses ALL field experience (unabsorbed experience) and an experience inefficency penalty is added, and must reread and agree to policy before being released. If the character was scripting an Artisan's Guild skill or Adventurer's Guild task, would lose HALF of their current bounty points or 50 ranks in an artisan's or professional guild skill.

Second offense: In addition to the second warning, substantial penalties may be assessed including experience inefficiency penalties, and the loss of all current outstanding bounty points. The character may also be removed from the Adventurer's Guild for 30 days, and lose up to HALF of ALL ranks in artisan or professional guild skills.

Third offense: The account, plus other related accounts, can be locked out for 30 days. In addition, substantial experience inefficiency penalties can be assessed, all Artisan's or professional guild skill ranks may be removed, and all characters on the account may be removed from the Adventurer's Guild for at least 30 days and forfeit all current rewards.

>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 25 seconds before reading the next page.
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Introduction

This policy is in addition to the overall TERMS AND CONDITIONS that every user of Simutronics services agrees to follow. Included in the Terms are topics like use of accounts, use of vulgarity, and use of the service. We strongly recommend that every Player read the TERMS and CONDITIONS on the web site, as every user is required to follow them and this Policy. Our goal is to provide an enjoyable experience for the majority of our Players. If you have any questions about either the TERMS AND CONDITIONS or this policy after reading them, you may put in an assist to speak with a staff member.

By using GemStone IV, players agree that Simutronics reserves the sole right to make the final determination of what is and is not in violation of any part of this policy. Other policies in addition to the ones listed here may occasionally be necessary (such as unique rules for a quest). Therefore, Simutronics also reserves the right to make special-case adjustments to its policies and the steps it takes concerning violation of these policies.

Your next unread page is page 2.
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 31 seconds before reading the next page.
>report why do I have to read the entire policy? Is this supposed to be funny?

>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Role-playing

GemStone IV is a Role-playing Game. This means that players interact in the world playing the part of their characters in a medieval fantasy environment. This is known as "in character" (IC) and means that the player is acting out the part believably. The term "out of character" (OOC) means that the player is behaving inconsistently with their character's situation in the game (such as discussing the latest sports event, singing the latest music release, playing the part of a starship captain, or communicating in French, Swahili or any earthly language other than English (Elanthia's Common tongue).

Players are expected to remain in character. Generally, if someone wants or needs to be OOC (such as explain game mechanics to another player), they may do so in ways that are not in public. Using a private room (one with a locked or latched door) or talking in whispers is recommended. Note that tables are considered in public.

When one individual is reducing the enjoyment of other players by out-of-character behavior (be it by speech, actions, ESP messages, or any other method of communication within GemStone IV), this may be considered disruptive behavior. Private rooms, whispers, direct thoughts to another player through ESP, or any other methods of communication are not excluded from this if one of the participants involved objects.

Staff Member Characters (GMs, Sages, and Hosts) are necessary to keep the game running smoothly and to assist players with working out problems and are inherently OOC entities because of the nature of their tasks. Because of the reasons a Player may need the assistance of a staff member, interactions with staff characters are not required to be IC. It would be extremely difficult for a high elf to describe the details of a serious game mechanics calculation bug that the character would never see, but the Player has to talk about the numbers involved. This only applies to Staff Member characters, not interactions with Non-player characters (merchants, creatures, royalty, or other NPCs). These should be IC.

Your next unread page is page 3.
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 31 seconds before reading the next page.
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 29 seconds before reading the next page.
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 21 seconds before reading the next page.
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 20 seconds before reading the next page.
>

SEND[Emeradan] Please cease using REPORT and continue to read POLICY. Thanks.

>'You're not welcome
You say, "You're not welcome."
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Abusive Or Disruptive Behavior

Because GemStone IV is a multi-player game, there can sometimes be a conflict between an individual player's idea of entertainment and that of the majority of the players as a whole. In such situations, the majority will be given the greatest weight.

GemStone IV is designed for the enjoyment of everyone, and as a general rule, any behavior which is specifically targeted to lessen that enjoyment for another player may be in violation of GemStone IV policy. While what is disruptive is an extremely long list, it includes things such as harassment, sexual advances, and actions specifically targeted to be disruptive.

Your next unread page is page 4.
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 33 seconds before reading the next page.
>'You are so professional
You say, "You are so professional."
>'And this must make your day
You say, "And this must make your day."
>'It is really sad that the most productive thing you are doing as a GM is trying to police for scripting
You say, "It is really sad that the most productive thing you are doing as a GM is trying to police for scripting."
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Player vs Player Conflict

There are elements in GemStone IV that promote a competitive environment. GemStone IV has been designed to promote competition as player vs. creature, or player vs. puzzle, and not generally player vs. player.

Some events (such as the Gladiatorial Games), encourage player vs. player combat in a structured setting. Also, some players will choose to role-play a competitive situation between themselves, and will combat each other, which is acceptable. What is not acceptable is to initiate combat against unsuspecting victims, especially to prey upon weaker players for the singular enjoyment of the attacker. As a rule of thumb, Character vs. Character (role-playing -CvC) combat is acceptable, while Player vs. Player (OOC or disruptive - PvP) is not.

There are many gray areas in terms of defining what is acceptable competition, and what is abusive behavior. For example, a pickpocket stealing items or silvers. This *can* be considered an open invitation for CvC, but losing 25 silvers isn't exactly cause for death. Losing large amounts might be though. Another example, the classic duel (Character 1: You have insulted my honor and I must defend that to the death! Character 2: Have at thee Knave!) is on the surface acceptable, but on the other hand saying dueling (Player 1: Wanna duel? Player 2: Yeah) isn't as it can be considered OOC.

In general, Simutronics will not get involved in a conflict confined to a small group of players unless it threatens to overlap to others or cause a generally disruptive influence on the game.

Your next unread page is page 5.
>'Especially considering that I DO roleplay, and am NOT being disruptive
You say, "Especially considering that I DO roleplay, and am NOT being disruptive."
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>'But then again, I guess every little person in this world has to feel like they are better than someone somehow
You say, "But then again, I guess every little person in this world has to feel like they are better than someone somehow."
>'Even if it is in a roleplaying game
You say, "Even if it is in a roleplaying game."
>'Must be a sad life
You say, "Must be a sad life."
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Solicitations

GemStone IV may not be used as a venue for promotion of competing products or services. Casual discussion of the genre (such as saying "The Lord of the Rings is a great book") is acceptable as long as it falls within the role-playing section of policy (such as in whispers, locked rooms, etc).

Your next unread page is page 6.
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 29 seconds before reading the next page.
>'if it takes 30 seconds to read a sentence, the person should just jump off the goldengate right now
You say, "If it takes 30 seconds to read a sentence, the person should just jump off the goldengate right now."
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Character Names

The following guidelines are in place to ensure a high level of consistency among the names of the adventurers within our community. Players consistently creating names that violate the guidelines may be formally warned or face suspension of playing privileges.

- Vulgarity of any sort will not be allowed.
- Racist or racist related terms are clearly unacceptable. (Klan, Towelhead)
- Names clearly in bad taste will not be allowed. (Lykmi Pihole or Monkeyspanker)
- Names of well-known historical or religious figures. (Hitler, God, St. Peter, Gandhi)
- Copyrighted or trademarked names. (Nintendo, Lucasfilm, Chevy)
- Famous Out-of-genre literary figures or well-known literary terms. (Buck Rogers, Chewy Bacca)
- Names taken from movies, cartoons or video games.
- Technology based names. (Laserbrain, Jetfighter, Mouseclicker)
- Names of current or past well-known personalities. (Madonna, Goldberg, Cronkite)
- Garbage names. (xxbdgscy , yyyzzz)
- Names with repetitive letters. Two may be allowed, three will not. (xxfredxx, Ghannndalf, Marrrisa)
- Phrases. (Ima toasteroven, Worldsgreatest Treeclimber)
- Names with titles in them. (Knight Blackness, Mistress Bombshell)
- Silly or out of genre names. (Frogeater Tongueodeath, Bumblebee Tunahead)
- Names created specifically to mock current players.
- Names too similar to names of Staff members or NPCs in game.
- Odd punctuation or capitalization. (Fragel DeLYon)

There may be names within the lands that do not adhere to the above guidelines. The fact that these names were created prior to this revision has no bearing on the creation of new names. We will not argue or debate names currently in the game, if we feel a newly created name violates our guidelines.

If you were sent to re-create your name, but feel your name is acceptable, and you wish to appeal, you must file the appeal in writing to feedback@simutronics.com. Your request will be submitted to the senior staff for review. Be prepared to wait 1 to 2 weeks for a review of your appeal.

If an existing name is found to be a blatant violation of our guidelines, the senior staff may either request or force a name change depending upon the severity of the guideline breech or disruption among the community.

Your next unread page is page 7.
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 27 seconds before reading the next page.
>'blah blah blah
You say, "Blah blah blah."
>'Tick tick tick
You say, "Tick tick tick."
>'Top 10 things I will be doing... Canceling my trial before it is over
You say, "Top 10 things I will be doing... Canceling my trial before it is over."
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Bug Abuse

Attempts to gain an unfair advantage which circumvents the letter or spirit of the rules presented in the documentation and version notes, as judged solely by Simutronics, are a violation of policy. Types of abuse range from sending special characters or signals to the software to obtain an unusual result, to using normal game mechanics in ways they are clearly not intended.

Examples of serious bug abuse: Disconnecting from the merchant manager to avoid paying the purchase price of an item; finding a "feedback loop" with spells or mana points, which allows spells to be cast multiple times with little or no cost; repeatedly injuring yourself (or another character) in order to generate experience for an empath or cleric; finding a special circumstance in which to use a potion whereby its quantity is not decremented when it is used; abusing game mechanics to cause duplication of items or silver.

Abusing bugs disrupts the balance of GemStone IV and reduces its effectiveness to remain an entertaining product. Sometimes there will be a great temptation to abuse a bug for personal gain because the negative effect is not readily apparent. Therefore, Simutronics will exercise no tolerance whatsoever for anyone participating in this type of activity.

Bugs should *always* be reported. Serious bugs should be REPORTed and BUGged, while minor ones should be BUGged. If you observe someone else abusing a serious bug, or discussing a plan to abuse one, and fail to report it, you are subject to the same penalties as they are. Serious bugs should be reported through GemStone IV Feedback.

Benefits obtained from bug abuse may be confiscated. Failure to cooperate with Simutronics as to the extent or nature of a bug, or failure to be honest about the benefits obtained from bug abuse, is grounds for immediate lock-out from GemStone IV.

Your next unread page is page 8.
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 32 seconds before reading the next page.
>'blah blah
You say, "Blah blah."
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 4 seconds before reading the next page.
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 2 seconds before reading the next page.
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 1 seconds before reading the next page.
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Delays Or Slowdowns

Some delay between commands is a normal consequence of playing a game on a network. Delays are typically only a few seconds, but may occasionally be longer. Additionally, some delays may affect only one player, because he or she is having problems with a local network node.

If a character is harmed because of a delay (or "slowdown") which was caused by a Simutronics system-wide delay which affected all users, repair or replacement of the damage may only be authorized if three separate criteria are met: 1. The damage was related directly to the slowdown; 2. The slowdown was at least 10 seconds in duration; and 3. The slowdown is verifiable by Simutronics.

Your next unread page is page 9.
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 23 seconds before reading the next page.
>who
You are currently tasked with reading the POLICY file, please click POLICY 9.
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>'So are you two like seeing each other?
You ask, "So are you two like seeing each other?"
>'You and hunt?
You ask, "You and hunt?"
>'You got the hots for her?
You ask, "You got the hots for her?"
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Transferring Characters

Under no circumstances will Simutronics transfer an existing character from one online service to a different service. If you decide to switch online services, you will have to either roll up a new character from the new service, or continue to use the old service to play your old character.

Even within the same service, characters generally cannot be transferred from one account to another, except in certain specific situations. For example, if a user moves, he or she may require a new account, which would require the transferring of the player's character from the old account to the new one.

To request the transfer of your character from one account to another, use the GemStone IV Feedback option. All requests to transfer a character to another account must be approved by the management of that particular service.

Transferring Characters (Platinum Specific)

Due to the extent of disruption caused when a character changes ownership within the Platinum community, any account owner wishing to transfer his or her character to a new account, or any account owner who wishes to transfer his account ownership to a new person, must first gain the approval of the Platinum Guru.

Approval may be gained by consulting the Platinum Guru, either from within the product or via e-mail. The Platinum Guru will endeavor to determine whether the character or account transfer is legitimate.

Legitimate transfers include, but are not limited to:

* Situations where a family started playing on one account, however, they are interested in playing simultaneously and wish to split the account in order to allow access to Platinum to all members of the Family at once.

* Situations where members of a family are parting ways for any number of reasons (going to college, or divorce, etc.) and responsibility for account payment is being passed from the breadwinner of the family to the actual controller of the characters.

* Situations where members of a family, for one reason or another, wish to consolidate all of their characters into one account.

* Any other legitimate situation where multiple people individually controlled separate characters on a single account and wish to split those characters up in legitimate ways into multiple accounts.

Once the Platinum Guru is consulted, the Platinum Guru must have his decision seconded by one of the following people: The Platinum Gurus Senior Manager, the Producer, or the Customer Service Manager.

Should Simutronics determine that the owner of an account is attempting to bypass this policy (either via transfer of credit card or other means); Simutronics reserves the right to confiscate any account or character involved in the transfer.

Your next unread page is page 10.
>policy
>'Loser
You say, "Loser."
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>i
You are currently tasked with reading the POLICY file, please click POLICY 10.
>POLICY 10
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 15 seconds before reading the next page.
>POLICY 10
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 14 seconds before reading the next page.
>POLICY 10
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 12 seconds before reading the next page.
>POLICY 10
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 11 seconds before reading the next page.
>POLICY 10
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 10 seconds before reading the next page.
>'Well, just know that I am in California right now
You say, "Well, just know that I am in California right now."
>'And you are probably in some miserable place, and hate your life, and are probably like 300 lbs
You say, "And you are probably in some miserable place, and hate your life, and are probably like 300 lbs."
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Character Purges

Certain inactive characters may be removed from the database to make room for active characters. The rules are as follows:

If someone just logs into the game once or twice for a few minutes, and then never returns, their character may be removed.

The criteria are, if a character's TOTAL playing time in the game is under an hour, and they have not visited the game for at least 15 days, they may be removed.

ANY character, even a high-level one, that has not visited the game for 6 months or more may be removed from the database.

If this happens, your only option is to start a new character, as nothing from the old one (stats, silver, fame, inventory, etc.) will be replaced or re-created.

Your next unread page is page 11.
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 27 seconds before reading the next page.
>'While I will more than likely be hooking up with a hot lady and partying tonite
You say, "While I will more than likely be hooking up with a hot lady and partying tonite."
>'You will more than likely be policing the mean streets of gemstone
You say, "You will more than likely be policing the mean streets of gemstone ."
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Score Lists

Simutronics is the sole judge of the accuracy of any high score lists and other event score listings. An announcement by Simutronics as to the winners of an event, is final.

Your next unread page is page 12.
>'You should really just slit your wrists and save your friends and family the trouble of having to put up with your worthless self
You say, "You should really just slit your wrists and save your friends and family the trouble of having to put up with your worthless self."
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 6 seconds before reading the next page.
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 4 seconds before reading the next page.
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 3 seconds before reading the next page.
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 1 seconds before reading the next page.
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: GameMasters and GameHosts.

GameMasters are the equivalent to the GM in tabletop role-playing games. They create the world that characters live in, the events that occur within it, and the non-player characters and creatures that populate it.

GameMasters have several roles: Guest Service Representative, Technical Support for game mechanics, and World Builder.

As Guest Service Representative, GameMasters are frequently on duty to answer any calls for technical help or to address Policy issues that arise. GameMasters will ONLY contact players in an official capacity through email from a play.net e-mail address OR in person in-game. They will NOT use any other methods (for example - AIM, ICQ or MSN Messenger). Do NOT share your password with anyone claiming to be a GameMaster, Sage, or Host. They have no need for that information and will NEVER ask you what it is.

Type HELP first, since many questions are answered within the extensive HELP system. If you still have difficulties or a technical problem with game mechanics, type ASSIST for additional sources of information, one option of which will notify on duty staff members that you have a question.

If it is an emergency or technical problem that will affect the integrity of the game, type REPORT and the specifics of the emergency. Also, while we encourage you to instantly inform us where you feel there is an important issue that may require our immediate attention, please try and limit REPORT to one time and then follow-up with an ASSIST.

Instant action and results should not be expected when reporting. Understand that every report is heard even though there may not be someone on duty and the issue will be addressed. While Staff Members try to answer each REPORT, keep in mind that they may need to focus on taking care of the issue (such as stopping a programming loop so that the game doesn't crash or preventing a character from being corrupted in the database time is of the essence) and fixing the problem takes priority over everything else. Therefore, you may not receive an answer to your REPORT.

Unless a staff member requests additional information through REPORT, please try and give additional information through ASSIST. Additional REPORTs can be distracting when the staff is trying to fix a problem. Over-use or misuse of REPORT can result in a warning.

While able to handle Technical Support in depth for game mechanics issues, GameMasters may not give solutions to puzzles or give out details which Players are supposed to discover for themselves. For example, a GameMaster could examine a locked chest to see if it was constructed properly, but would not typically be allowed to tell you its exact difficulty level, or what number you would have to roll in order to be able to open it.

GameMasters may not make personalized items for players. NPC GM-run characters running special events such as merchants may. GameMasters may not show favoritism towards one player or another. Specific concerns about favoritism or in-game decisions about policy enforcement should be directed to the Senior GM staff.

VERY IMPORTANT: Although one of the roles that a GameMasters fills is Customer Service oriented, their main responsibility is to preserve the integrity of the game's rules and balance. In situations where customer service may conflict with preserving the integrity of the game, the GameMaster is required to put the rules first.

GameHosts

GameHosts are volunteer staff members who assist Players with basic mechanics questions, assist with finding help sources and aid with simple trouble shooting. GameHosts can not handle involved Policy enforcement situations or mediate disputes, but can record concerns and bring issues to the attention of Sages and GMs. Often, GMs will ask Players to put in an assist so that a GameHost may record their side of a problem and/or get a REFER. GameHosts may not replace items nor give out game secrets.

Your next unread page is page 13.
>'Read more fully, aka, continue to banter and wait for the time to run out so I can cancel my account
You say, "Read more fully, aka, continue to banter and wait for the time to run out so I can cancel my account."
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 8 seconds before reading the next page.
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 5 seconds before reading the next page.
>policy
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 3 seconds before reading the next page.
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 2 seconds before reading the next page.
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Repair Or Replacement

Simutronics is not obligated to credit or replace losses for any user if their use is interrupted by a software failure or other service interrupt. Simutronics' sole obligation is to make a reasonable effort to fix a software problem or to return service as quickly as possible (except in cases where the service interrupt is not related to the GemStone IV product itself). Simutronics has no control over and is not responsible for hardware or software that it does not own (internet routers or a user's ISP for example).

If it appears that your character is missing some points or that something about your character or its inventory has changed unexpectedly, you may inform us by typing ASSIST and speaking to a GameMaster directly. Simutronics will attempt to investigate the problem, and may, at its sole discretion, authorize adjustments to your score or inventory. GameMasters are empowered to make many on-the-spot decisions about replacement, but some situations will require approval from Simutronics management. GameMasters will inform Players about these situations when further research or approval is required.

Some missing items are caused by normal means, such as a weapon which is broken in combat, silver lost to a pickpocket, or a mis-typed line. For example, if you were to type PUT SWORD IN SACK, this would normally put the sword into your own sack, but if there were to be a sack on the ground (perhaps left there by another player), your sword would instead go into that sack, and when you reached for it later, you might think it had just "disappeared." In any case where an item is lost or damaged through this type of normal game mechanics, repair or replacement may not be authorized. Items lost due to sharing passwords or accounts will not be replaced.

In many instances, Simutronics' only recourse in determining the cause of a problem a user may experience, is to verify that the programming involved is reliable. If specific game mechanics function correctly, and repeated tests under similar circumstances as the reported problem yield correct results, then we must rule that what the user saw is attributed to some type of communication problem or a misunderstanding of the output.

If Simutronics cannot verify that an error in programming has occurred or cannot verify the construction of the missing item, then the replacement request will be declined. Characters will ONLY be replaced due to an error in Simutronics programming. Players may help verify construction of items by registering their items regularly. See the town registrar to register your items. Also see the Unique Items section.

Note that some items may change the way they work from the last time they were handled. See the Game Mechanics section for more information about these instances. Compensation or replacement requests will be declined in cases where mechanics balance adjustments have been made and are working properly.

Your next unread page is page 14.
>'Do you think it's possible to script read the policy?
You ask, "Do you think it's possible to script read the policy?"
>'Here, I'll try to make one up while I'm waiting
You say, "Here, I'll try to make one up while I'm waiting."
>policy
>'haha, got it
You say, "Haha, got it."
>'Here, let me start it up for you
You say, "Here, let me start it up for you."
>.policy
[Script policy is running, Esc to cancel, Shift-Esc to pause]
>policy

Topics Page Topics Page

Your next unread page is page 14.
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Unique Items

Because of the volume of items and the wide range of distribution methods used for items that exist within GemStone IV, Simutronics cannot, and does not, maintain detailed records of the types of items, and who claims them.

It is possible that there will be mistakes in item creation from time to time. These mistakes may be technical, invalid or unreasonable parameters, or elements which are outside the guidelines and mythos of the game environment.

Items vary widely in their scope, concept, and usefulness. Some items of similar or exact appearance may have different powers.

Therefore, the following policy is imposed on these items:

- Simutronics will not replace or repair unique items under any circumstances other than bug fixes we initiate at our sole discretion. Therefore, if you lose one of these items in a crash, we may not be able to replace it because we will not have any documentation on what it was, or how it really worked.

- Simutronics can and will, at its sole discretion, make adjustments or repairs to these items as needed. In most cases, if an error represents a clear imbalance, you will not lose the benefits you acquired while the item was working the way it was. The exception to this is if it was a mistake that has an effect on world balance.

- Simutronics is not required to make any notification that a change has occurred. If you see that an item suddenly shifts its operation, then the reason is either due to a repair, or that the item was programmed to do what it does for some reason. Items should never be trusted to ALWAYS behave perfectly predictably.

- In very rare instances, an item may have to be confiscated if it is seriously in error. GameMasters may replace it at their discretion with the next item in the unique item queue (though this will probably not have any relationship to the benefits/powers of the one removed).

Your next unread page is page 15.
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 32 seconds before reading the next page.
>'I am script reading the policy
>policy
You say, "I am script reading the policy."
>
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 25 seconds before reading the next page.
>'haha
You say, "Haha."
>'I am script reading the policy, and you need to get a life
>policy
You say, "I am script reading the policy, and you need to get a life."
>

Topics Page Topics Page

>'I am so glad I quit this game back in 1998
You say, "I am so glad I quit this game back in 1998."
>policy
>

Topics Page Topics Page

>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Game Mechanics and Game Changes

Simutronics reserves the right to make modifications to any and all game mechanics and rules at any time, without notice.

Simutronics has a responsibility to preserve the balance of the game for the majority of the players, and furthermore, to maintain a level of challenge that is adequate for this type of product. Therefore, Simutronics will routinely add new rules, modify existing rules, and even go back and change new additions that did not function as expected.

These changes can impact your character in a variety of ways. If you feel that the change unfairly penalizes your character, or your character type, given the requirements of balance, challenge, and the general good of the game, then you may make your views known to Simutronics via GemStone IV Feedback (not ASSIST or REPORT).

Simutronics maintains a longer range view which may IV in conflict with short-term and character-specific interests, but Simutronics will always attempt to make the best decision for the overall good of the game.

Your next unread page is page 16.
>policy
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 23 seconds before reading the next page.
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 21 seconds before reading the next page.
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 15 seconds before reading the next page.
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 14 seconds before reading the next page.
>policy
>
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 8 seconds before reading the next page.
>policy
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Quests And Special Events

Quests and special events may happen at any time. Simutronics is not required to give warning that a quest will be run. Some quests are announced ahead of time, while others are run spontaneously. The intent is to involve characters and players in a living story, much as they would if the world was real and the character was truly living and breathing within.

Because of this, quests and special events have inherent dangers in them over and above the normal dangers to your character while playing GemStone IV. This could mean the death of your character, the loss of inventory, the threat of kidnapping or capture, and many other possibilities due to choices your character, someone elses character or even a staff NPC makes. Not every quest or event will end up working out in your favor, so be careful with choices and actions with your character, as they will have repercussions, both good and bad.

You have the option of choosing not to participate in an ongoing quest, by typing ASSIST and requesting that you be removed from the quest. This must be done as soon as you are aware that there is a quest in progress. Once you have become involved, it is up to the GameMaster running the quest as to whether your request to be removed should be honored.

Some quests and special events have a limited capacity. For these limited space quests and events, not everyone who shows up will be able to participate. Most quests and events will be run again at a later date, but there is no guarantee of the frequency of these quests, or that any particular player will be able to participate in any of them.

If you participate in a quest, please do not discuss the details of the puzzles with other players, because this can decrease their own enjoyment of it when their turn comes around. Also, please do not broadcast puzzle solutions or other spoilers over general means of communication, such as the ESP network, or the public Message Board topics.

Awards may be given out at the end of quests and other events, but participation in an event does not guarantee an award. Even though a player may have contributed to the solution of a puzzle, or role-played well, their actions at those times may not be monitored. Simutronics is not required to monitor all quest participants.

Quest participants who are being disruptive may be removed from the quest at the discretion of the GM running the event and will not be eligible for any refunds. Examples of disruptive behavior in addition to the normal disruption definition are:
- Making disparaging comments about the quest or the people involved.
- Actively thwarting the progress of other participants.
- Players who have participated in a quest before or by players who have received puzzle solutions from other participants who lessen the enjoyment of other players who wish to discover the solutions for themselves (Such as solving the quest or giving out answers just to get to the next step).

Your next unread page is page 17.
>policy
>
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 9 seconds before reading the next page.
>'I am script reading the policy, and your mom is an ogre
You say, "I am script reading the policy, and your mom is an ogre."
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Privacy

Staff members may not eavesdrop on private conversations unless there is a reasonable concern that such conversations relate to breaking policy, disruptive behavior, or ongoing events. In general, we try to respect player privacy as much as possible, however no area in the game is completely private. All actions and conversations within GemStone IV are subject to monitoring at any time.

Your next unread page is page 19.
>policy
>
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 26 seconds before reading the next page.
>policy
You need to read each section fully, you must wait 12 seconds before reading the next page.
>
[script aborted]
>policy
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Violations Of Policy

Anyone found to be in violation of the GemStone IV policies or Simutronics Terms and Conditions, at the sole discretion of Simutronics, may be warned or removed from the game. Please keep in mind that GameMasters may not rely on a Players word alone when handling possible Policy violations, however a Players history may be taken into account on any given violation decision.

This list is used as a general guideline by GameMasters in determining steps to take. The actual decision will vary based upon the severity of the decision and the history of violations on *any* accounts connected to a players account.

1. First violation: The user will receive a warning describing the breach of policy Simutronics believes they have committed, either onscreen or in e-mail. Incidents of scamming and serious bug abuse may be locked out for a minimum of two months on the first violation. Scamming is deliberate use of game mechanics to bilk another player (for example, selling mystery notes and getting a note of a value lower than the sale from the bank after the sale is made, or deliberately stealing items or silvers from one account to transfer to another.)

2. Second violation: The user may be locked out of GemStone IV for a period of up to one month, and will be notified via Email. A second violation for bug abuse or scamming may result in a permanent lockout.

3. Third violation: The user may be locked out of GemStone IV for any duration up to and including permanent.

4. In certain circumstances, such as extremely abusive behavior, a user may be locked out without warning or notice of any kind.

If the user has more than one account, all accounts, on all services, may be simultaneously subject to the above actions.

Any account that is being used by a person who has already had a lockout issued on them may also be locked out. This includes accounts that are not registered to the person who is locked out. The lockout for *both* accounts will be re-started from the date that the second account was removed.

If anyone is locked out of one Simutronics product, for any reason, Simutronics may choose to lock that user's accounts out of ALL Simutronics products, on all services. This includes current and future Simutronics products. If a user is discovered to be playing on an account which is registered to a fraudulent or incorrect name, address, or billing method, that may also be grounds for immediate lockout.

Players are also always subject to the policies of the online services that provide the connection to GemStone IV. If a player violates the policy of the online service, then that is also considered to be a violation of GemStone IV Player Policy. Reports of such policy violations may be forwarded to the online service involved.

Players wishing to appeal a warning may do so through GemStone IV Feedback (found on the website or through e-mail at gsfeedback@simutronics.com).

Players wishing to dispute a lockout may do so through lockout@simutronics.com. Once a lockout request has been put in place, GameMasters may not handle requests for information or appeals.

Simutronics, at its discretion, will have the Senior GM staff review decisions on warnings or lockouts and take appropriate action. Note that all situations will not merit a Senior GM review.

Your next unread page is page 20.
>'I am script reading the policy, and I will not appeal
You say, "I am script reading the policy, and I will not appeal."
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: High Maintenance Guests

In certain situations, the overall pattern of behavior on an account or a set of linked accounts may be determined to be disruptive or abusive, even if no one single act clearly violates any specific policy.

In such cases, Simutronics reserves the right to determine what patterns of behavior are defined as "high-maintenance" or "disruptive" and may take action against the account(s), ranging from a simple request to moderate/control the high-maintenance behavior, to total lockout of all linked accounts.

You have completed reading the policy file.
>'blah blah blah, crack cocaine, blah blah blah
You say, "Blah blah blah, crack cocaine, blah blah blah."
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>who

Active Players: 495

Staff on duty:
Senior GameHost Valyrka

>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: High Maintenance Guests

In certain situations, the overall pattern of behavior on an account or a set of linked accounts may be determined to be disruptive or abusive, even if no one single act clearly violates any specific policy.

In such cases, Simutronics reserves the right to determine what patterns of behavior are defined as "high-maintenance" or "disruptive" and may take action against the account(s), ranging from a simple request to moderate/control the high-maintenance behavior, to total lockout of all linked accounts.

>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Introduction

This policy is in addition to the overall TERMS AND CONDITIONS that every user of Simutronics services agrees to follow. Included in the Terms are topics like use of accounts, use of vulgarity, and use of the service. We strongly recommend that every Player read the TERMS and CONDITIONS on the web site, as every user is required to follow them and this Policy. Our goal is to provide an enjoyable experience for the majority of our Players. If you have any questions about either the TERMS AND CONDITIONS or this policy after reading them, you may put in an assist to speak with a staff member.

By using GemStone IV, players agree that Simutronics reserves the sole right to make the final determination of what is and is not in violation of any part of this policy. Other policies in addition to the ones listed here may occasionally be necessary (such as unique rules for a quest). Therefore, Simutronics also reserves the right to make special-case adjustments to its policies and the steps it takes concerning violation of these policies.

Your next unread page is page 2.
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Role-playing

GemStone IV is a Role-playing Game. This means that players interact in the world playing the part of their characters in a medieval fantasy environment. This is known as "in character" (IC) and means that the player is acting out the part believably. The term "out of character" (OOC) means that the player is behaving inconsistently with their character's situation in the game (such as discussing the latest sports event, singing the latest music release, playing the part of a starship captain, or communicating in French, Swahili or any earthly language other than English (Elanthia's Common tongue).

Players are expected to remain in character. Generally, if someone wants or needs to be OOC (such as explain game mechanics to another player), they may do so in ways that are not in public. Using a private room (one with a locked or latched door) or talking in whispers is recommended. Note that tables are considered in public.

When one individual is reducing the enjoyment of other players by out-of-character behavior (be it by speech, actions, ESP messages, or any other method of communication within GemStone IV), this may be considered disruptive behavior. Private rooms, whispers, direct thoughts to another player through ESP, or any other methods of communication are not excluded from this if one of the participants involved objects.

Staff Member Characters (GMs, Sages, and Hosts) are necessary to keep the game running smoothly and to assist players with working out problems and are inherently OOC entities because of the nature of their tasks. Because of the reasons a Player may need the assistance of a staff member, interactions with staff characters are not required to be IC. It would be extremely difficult for a high elf to describe the details of a serious game mechanics calculation bug that the character would never see, but the Player has to talk about the numbers involved. This only applies to Staff Member characters, not interactions with Non-player characters (merchants, creatures, royalty, or other NPCs). These should be IC.

Your next unread page is page 3.
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Abusive Or Disruptive Behavior

Because GemStone IV is a multi-player game, there can sometimes be a conflict between an individual player's idea of entertainment and that of the majority of the players as a whole. In such situations, the majority will be given the greatest weight.

GemStone IV is designed for the enjoyment of everyone, and as a general rule, any behavior which is specifically targeted to lessen that enjoyment for another player may be in violation of GemStone IV policy. While what is disruptive is an extremely long list, it includes things such as harassment, sexual advances, and actions specifically targeted to be disruptive.

Your next unread page is page 4.
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Player vs Player Conflict

There are elements in GemStone IV that promote a competitive environment. GemStone IV has been designed to promote competition as player vs. creature, or player vs. puzzle, and not generally player vs. player.

Some events (such as the Gladiatorial Games), encourage player vs. player combat in a structured setting. Also, some players will choose to role-play a competitive situation between themselves, and will combat each other, which is acceptable. What is not acceptable is to initiate combat against unsuspecting victims, especially to prey upon weaker players for the singular enjoyment of the attacker. As a rule of thumb, Character vs. Character (role-playing -CvC) combat is acceptable, while Player vs. Player (OOC or disruptive - PvP) is not.

There are many gray areas in terms of defining what is acceptable competition, and what is abusive behavior. For example, a pickpocket stealing items or silvers. This *can* be considered an open invitation for CvC, but losing 25 silvers isn't exactly cause for death. Losing large amounts might be though. Another example, the classic duel (Character 1: You have insulted my honor and I must defend that to the death! Character 2: Have at thee Knave!) is on the surface acceptable, but on the other hand saying dueling (Player 1: Wanna duel? Player 2: Yeah) isn't as it can be considered OOC.

In general, Simutronics will not get involved in a conflict confined to a small group of players unless it threatens to overlap to others or cause a generally disruptive influence on the game.

Your next unread page is page 5.
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Solicitations

GemStone IV may not be used as a venue for promotion of competing products or services. Casual discussion of the genre (such as saying "The Lord of the Rings is a great book") is acceptable as long as it falls within the role-playing section of policy (such as in whispers, locked rooms, etc).

Your next unread page is page 6.
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Character Names

The following guidelines are in place to ensure a high level of consistency among the names of the adventurers within our community. Players consistently creating names that violate the guidelines may be formally warned or face suspension of playing privileges.

- Vulgarity of any sort will not be allowed.
- Racist or racist related terms are clearly unacceptable. (Klan, Towelhead)
- Names clearly in bad taste will not be allowed. (Lykmi Pihole or Monkeyspanker)
- Names of well-known historical or religious figures. (Hitler, God, St. Peter, Gandhi)
- Copyrighted or trademarked names. (Nintendo, Lucasfilm, Chevy)
- Famous Out-of-genre literary figures or well-known literary terms. (Buck Rogers, Chewy Bacca)
- Names taken from movies, cartoons or video games.
- Technology based names. (Laserbrain, Jetfighter, Mouseclicker)
- Names of current or past well-known personalities. (Madonna, Goldberg, Cronkite)
- Garbage names. (xxbdgscy , yyyzzz)
- Names with repetitive letters. Two may be allowed, three will not. (xxfredxx, Ghannndalf, Marrrisa)
- Phrases. (Ima toasteroven, Worldsgreatest Treeclimber)
- Names with titles in them. (Knight Blackness, Mistress Bombshell)
- Silly or out of genre names. (Frogeater Tongueodeath, Bumblebee Tunahead)
- Names created specifically to mock current players.
- Names too similar to names of Staff members or NPCs in game.
- Odd punctuation or capitalization. (Fragel DeLYon)

There may be names within the lands that do not adhere to the above guidelines. The fact that these names were created prior to this revision has no bearing on the creation of new names. We will not argue or debate names currently in the game, if we feel a newly created name violates our guidelines.

If you were sent to re-create your name, but feel your name is acceptable, and you wish to appeal, you must file the appeal in writing to feedback@simutronics.com. Your request will be submitted to the senior staff for review. Be prepared to wait 1 to 2 weeks for a review of your appeal.

If an existing name is found to be a blatant violation of our guidelines, the senior staff may either request or force a name change depending upon the severity of the guideline breech or disruption among the community.

Your next unread page is page 7.
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Bug Abuse

Attempts to gain an unfair advantage which circumvents the letter or spirit of the rules presented in the documentation and version notes, as judged solely by Simutronics, are a violation of policy. Types of abuse range from sending special characters or signals to the software to obtain an unusual result, to using normal game mechanics in ways they are clearly not intended.

Examples of serious bug abuse: Disconnecting from the merchant manager to avoid paying the purchase price of an item; finding a "feedback loop" with spells or mana points, which allows spells to be cast multiple times with little or no cost; repeatedly injuring yourself (or another character) in order to generate experience for an empath or cleric; finding a special circumstance in which to use a potion whereby its quantity is not decremented when it is used; abusing game mechanics to cause duplication of items or silver.

Abusing bugs disrupts the balance of GemStone IV and reduces its effectiveness to remain an entertaining product. Sometimes there will be a great temptation to abuse a bug for personal gain because the negative effect is not readily apparent. Therefore, Simutronics will exercise no tolerance whatsoever for anyone participating in this type of activity.

Bugs should *always* be reported. Serious bugs should be REPORTed and BUGged, while minor ones should be BUGged. If you observe someone else abusing a serious bug, or discussing a plan to abuse one, and fail to report it, you are subject to the same penalties as they are. Serious bugs should be reported through GemStone IV Feedback.

Benefits obtained from bug abuse may be confiscated. Failure to cooperate with Simutronics as to the extent or nature of a bug, or failure to be honest about the benefits obtained from bug abuse, is grounds for immediate lock-out from GemStone IV.

Your next unread page is page 8.
>policy
>

GemStone IV Player Policy: Delays Or Slowdowns

Some delay between commands is a normal consequence of playing a game on a network. Delays are typically only a few seconds, but may occasionally be longer. Additionally, some delays may affect only one player, because he or she is having problems with a local network node.

If a character is harmed because of a delay (or "slowdown") which was caused by a Simutronics system-wide delay which affected all users, repair or replacement of the damage may only be authorized if three separate criteria are met: 1. The damage was related directly to the slowdown; 2. The slowdown was at least 10 seconds in duration; and 3. The slowdown is verifiable by Simutronics.

Your next unread page is page 9.
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Transferring Characters

Under no circumstances will Simutronics transfer an existing character from one online service to a different service. If you decide to switch online services, you will have to either roll up a new character from the new service, or continue to use the old service to play your old character.

Even within the same service, characters generally cannot be transferred from one account to another, except in certain specific situations. For example, if a user moves, he or she may require a new account, which would require the transferring of the player's character from the old account to the new one.

To request the transfer of your character from one account to another, use the GemStone IV Feedback option. All requests to transfer a character to another account must be approved by the management of that particular service.

Transferring Characters (Platinum Specific)

Due to the extent of disruption caused when a character changes ownership within the Platinum community, any account owner wishing to transfer his or her character to a new account, or any account owner who wishes to transfer his account ownership to a new person, must first gain the approval of the Platinum Guru.

Approval may be gained by consulting the Platinum Guru, either from within the product or via e-mail. The Platinum Guru will endeavor to determine whether the character or account transfer is legitimate.

Legitimate transfers include, but are not limited to:

* Situations where a family started playing on one account, however, they are interested in playing simultaneously and wish to split the account in order to allow access to Platinum to all members of the Family at once.

* Situations where members of a family are parting ways for any number of reasons (going to college, or divorce, etc.) and responsibility for account payment is being passed from the breadwinner of the family to the actual controller of the characters.

* Situations where members of a family, for one reason or another, wish to consolidate all of their characters into one account.

* Any other legitimate situation where multiple people individually controlled separate characters on a single account and wish to split those characters up in legitimate ways into multiple accounts.

Once the Platinum Guru is consulted, the Platinum Guru must have his decision seconded by one of the following people: The Platinum Gurus Senior Manager, the Producer, or the Customer Service Manager.

Should Simutronics determine that the owner of an account is attempting to bypass this policy (either via transfer of credit card or other means); Simutronics reserves the right to confiscate any account or character involved in the transfer.

Your next unread page is page 10.
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Character Purges

Certain inactive characters may be removed from the database to make room for active characters. The rules are as follows:

If someone just logs into the game once or twice for a few minutes, and then never returns, their character may be removed.

The criteria are, if a character's TOTAL playing time in the game is under an hour, and they have not visited the game for at least 15 days, they may be removed.

ANY character, even a high-level one, that has not visited the game for 6 months or more may be removed from the database.

If this happens, your only option is to start a new character, as nothing from the old one (stats, silver, fame, inventory, etc.) will be replaced or re-created.

Your next unread page is page 11.
>policy

GemStone IV Player Policy: Score Lists

Simutronics is the sole judge of the accuracy of any high score lists and other event score listings. An announcement by Simutronics as to the winners of an event, is final.

Your next unread page is page 12.
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>who

Active Players: 496

Staff on duty:
Senior GameHost Valyrka

>report I have completed my quest

>'And your mom is an ogre
You say, "And your mom is an ogre."
>find zodier
Brave Adventurer Questing:

Zodier

>rub my amulet
You rub your crystal amulet.
There is a small power ebb, but then it fades.
>'damn
You say, "Damn."
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>'jflkdsjalkjalkjsla
You say, "Jflkdsjalkjalkjsla."
>'That is chinese for let me out of here
You say, "That is chinese for let me out of here."
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>who

Active Players: 490

Staff on duty:
Senior GameHost Valyrka

>l at mir
You see nothing unusual.
>l in mir
There is nothing in there.
>
Emeradan walks in.
>
Emeradan says, "Hello again."
>nod
You nod.
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>l at emer
You see GameMaster Emeradan Karooks.
He looks like he either just woke up or hasn't slept in days.
His short, straight dark brown hair is in a state of disarray, and his dark eyes look a little bloodshot.
He is wearing a small lizard, a blooming white anemone handflower, a deeply-hooded black leather longcloak trimmed with silver-threaded runes, a small lizard, a warped platinum star, some supple doeskin leather trousers, a soft kitten bag, Teh Pwn, an antique silver armband, a thick black leather belt, a tooled black leather satchel, a small silk coin pouch, a star sapphire ring, a translucent glaes spider charm, a white silk poets shirt, a tiny wings-spread pterodactyl charm, a floresiensis skull, a carved stone fortress locket, some black leather thigh-boots, a matte black dagger harness, a Rose McGowan doll, and a brilliant white crystal pendant.
>'That is a sexy flower you have
You say, "That is a sexy flower you have."
>
Emeradan says, "Well, while I appreciate your having completed the reading of our game policies, it's quite clear that, by your statements during the reading, you have little to no intention of following them."
>'What? Lies
You say, "What? Lies."
>
Emeradan says, "Furthermore, your lack of respect for both those policies and our staff lead me to believe that you simply do not belong here."
>'I have read your policy
You say, "I have read your policy."
>'Take me to your leader
You say, "Take me to your leader."
>ready weapon
You remove an elegant blue mithril falchion from in your leather sheath.
(Change your default item by selecting ready list.)
>'Prepare to die
You say, "Prepare to die."
>att emer
>l
[Consultation Lounge]
>laugh
You laugh out loud!
>
Emeradan says, "Therefore, I'm going to be submitting a formal request to remove your game access based on your behavior since returning to the game."
>'Congrats
You say, "Congrats."
>
Emeradan says, "Take care."
>
You feel yourself being pulled away...
[The Cell]
You are in a specially-created exitless room. This room was created because of your unacceptable activities in GemStone, which will no longer be tolerated. Please contact us at lockout@simutronics.com for further information, if you desire.
>'I will be submitting a formal request to beat you up
You are not allowed to talk now.
>report I am submitting a request for you to kiss my ass. You are so much more disruptive to the game by harassing people using scripts.

>report Now I am going to get back to this thing I like to call life, you should try it sometime. "Take care"
Your ability to use REPORT is currently blocked. You will have to use FEEDBACK or ASSIST to communicate with GemStone IV staff.
>assist
You have been entered into the referral queue at position #4.
You have been placed in the Referral Queue to speak with a GameMaster. To check your place in the Referral Queue, please type REFERRAL.
>

Gan
01-05-2008, 05:03 PM
hahah... PWNND.

I rescued you yesterday and you were comatose througout the rescue, healing, and raising.

Thanks for the experience gained from the raise. ;)

And rest assured you wont be missed.

:bye:

Sean of the Thread
01-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Kiss my ass is the best you could come up with?

Summertime
01-05-2008, 05:05 PM
So.. you got busted a SECOND time for being AFK while scripting.. and looking at that makes if very clear you WERE AFK... you acted like an insufferable asshole while getting your earned lecture.. and got locked out for it. You didn't quit... Simu actually got SO SICK of your stupidity they locked your ignorant ass out for fear that your brain syphilis (or whatever ails you) might be contagious, rather then make money off you.

Congratulations, U r teh winnar, mon kapiton fucktardo

Joe
01-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Not to mention you're bragging about living in Hayward, of all places. Loser.

Snapp
01-05-2008, 05:07 PM
You say, "Well, just know that I am in California right now."

You say, "And you are probably in some miserable place, and hate your life, and are probably like 300 lbs."

You say, "While I will more than likely be hooking up with a hot lady and partying tonite."

You say, "You will more than likely be policing the mean streets of gemstone ."

That you Seany? Or just a wannabe?

Jeurth
01-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Actually, I DID quit in 1998.

Jeurth
01-05-2008, 05:12 PM
No, this is the real Jeurth, not the person I sold him to when I quit.

Summertime
01-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Not to mention you're bragging about living in Hayward, of all places. Loser.

Wait... Hayward.. as in Union City / Fremont Hayward??? Holy SHIT what a dump

ROFL.... I need to find out where this guy is.. send a few pals from ATB to visit his ass. ;)

Joe
01-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Funny as hell to watch losers come here to try and win favor for talking crap about the game when... OMG... they're losers and whatever happened... they deserved? ROFL

Jeurth
01-05-2008, 05:16 PM
What are they going to do? Stun maneuver me? I'm insulting your stupid fucking game, not picking fights in real life.

Jeurth
01-05-2008, 05:18 PM
It is storming pretty bad right now, I really don't have much else I can do. I am actually hanging out with friends right now while writing this, what are you doing?

Jeurth
01-05-2008, 05:23 PM
And yes, I am currently living in Gayward for the time being until I complete my graduate degree, at which time I will be moving to L. A. or San Diego, but I guess that is a shitty area too, huh? And the point is not where I am, the point I was making is it is lame that a gamemaster could actually be interacting with players rather than policing scripting.

Sean of the Thread
01-05-2008, 05:25 PM
It is storming pretty bad right now, I really don't have much else I can do. I am actually hanging out with friends right now while writing this, what are you doing?

Besides laughing at your pathetic ass?

Watching the playoffs :)

Amaron
01-05-2008, 05:51 PM
You are a moron. End of story.

Stop wasting our GM time.

Don't break policy and you won't get busted.

J

FinisWolf
01-05-2008, 06:10 PM
The idiocy of trying to tell Emeradan that he was present and didn't see the messaging was retarded as hell too.

Hey, numb nuts, they have a script that sees if you are utilizing key strokes.

LOL

Good riddance.

Please feel free not to waste anymore of your time with us losers here on the PC and in GS.

And kudos to Emerada for not bolting you and holding it together, since I am sure he realized you would be a waste of time.

Finis

Anebriated
01-05-2008, 06:31 PM
when finis is telling you that youre an idiot for going up against a GM then you know its bad.

no offense finis.

Stunseed
01-05-2008, 06:37 PM
< You say, "Blah blah blah, crack cocaine, blah blah blah." >

You are a tool.

Here's a new game for you, it's called Runescape. It's awesome and you will fit in perfectly! You can script, and can use your obvious superior vocabulary to great ends!

www.runescape.com

B2
01-05-2008, 06:38 PM
The messaging wasn't all "The wind howls angrily, making you think you should respond to your surroundings as soon as possible."

You don't usually get TWO * * * REPORT NOW * * * messages. Looks like he was being nice.

And Emeradan lives in Cali too, so...kind of failed on that dig.

Danical
01-05-2008, 06:50 PM
1 star.

Unimpressed.

Gelston
01-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Yes, San Diego is a shitty area, and California is a shitty state for its gun laws.

CrystalTears
01-05-2008, 09:41 PM
I stopped reading his bullshit when I saw that he never responded to either of the two warnings. I knew this was going to be an "omg they're so stupid for kicking me" posts. What a waste of that GM's time.

Get in your RX7 and GTFO. Good riddance.

Davenshire
01-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Jesus, PLEASE let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Why even come back if all you do is AFK scirpt anyways?

Thanks for wasting the GM's time with your idiocy. Please don't come back.

:tool:

Stanley Burrell
01-05-2008, 11:02 PM
I FUCK LIKE TWELVE BITCHES A DAY

Tolwynn
01-05-2008, 11:38 PM

What, do you work at a kennel or something?

FinisWolf
01-05-2008, 11:57 PM
What, do you work at a kennel or something?

PWN'd

Methais
01-06-2008, 12:30 AM

What are you doing? Something along the lines of this in GS translation...

[Jeurth's House, Room With Computer]
There's shit all over the house, you can see the kitchen and other housely things, like TVs and stuff. You also see Jeurst's desk with his monitor on it.
Also here: Jeurth, Jeurth's friends

Speaking to his friends, Jeurth exclaims, "Hey guys come look at this shit! Watch me insult these people on this message board about an internet text game I got kicked out of."

Jeurth begins typing a bunch of stuff. Jeurst clicks the post button.

Jeurth's friends look closely at the monitor and see:

Jeurth's friends say, "You're stupid, we're leaving."

Jeurth's friends just left.

Sometimes 64: http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=13623

FinisWolf
01-06-2008, 12:42 AM
That's COLD! :lol:

But spot on.

Finis

Davenshire
01-06-2008, 01:26 AM
->

What are you doing? Something along the lines of in GS translation...

[Jeurth's House, Room With Computer]
There's shit all over the house, you can see the kitchen and other housely things, like TVs and stuff. You also see Jeurst's desk with his monitor on it.
Also here: Jeurth, Jeurth's friends

Speaking to his friends, Jeurth exclaims, "Hey guys come look at this shit! Watch me insult these people on this message board about an internet text game I got kicked out of."

Jeurth begins typing a bunch of stuff. Jeurst clicks the post button.

Jeurth's friends look closely at the monitor and see:

Jeurth's friends say, "You're stupid, we're leaving."

Jeurth's friends just left.

->

PWN'd

Anebriated
01-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Yo my hollywood agent says I should do some of this member journal shit saying that cause I'm so awesome that it'll be worth fucking humongous shitloads of money in a couple years cause I'm such a huge star I was even on MTV and that pretty soon arnold schwarzenegger is gonna be serving me french fries wearing one of those stupid paper hats that look like a boat I made in 1st grade, except mine was the shit cause it looked like an RX-7 with a sail.

ROFLROFLROFL

ViridianAsp
01-06-2008, 01:40 AM
Wait... Hayward.. as in Union City / Fremont Hayward??? Holy SHIT what a dump

ROFL.... I need to find out where this guy is.. send a few pals from ATB to visit his ass. ;)

Hayward is a dump, Fremont isn't.

For the record, srsly?

You violated policy, obviously. It isn't about being smart it's about staying alert. Which you didn't do, you can't be upset about it because EVERYONE knows you need to be alert and watching the screen while you use a script.

He was right to call you on your AFK scripting. Insulting him, because you got caught, not smart...But that doesn't matter, because you don't want to play anymore anyway right? So why post it here?

Dyslexia
01-06-2008, 02:16 AM

I'm actually hanging out with 10 supermodels and writing my autobiography about my incredibly cool and interesting and exciting life and all my friends are outside waiting for me to walk by the window in my unbelievably expensive and cool pajamas cuz they want to see what im wearing cuz I get my cool fashion sense from europe.

Summertime
01-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Hayward is a dump, Fremont isn't.

Agreed... Freemont is NOT a dump.. I used to live over by the aquaducts on Paseo Montalban.

*sigh*

I was teh sad when they tore down the Fremont Hub Movie Theater... then they built that secondary strip mall with the postage stamp theaters.. *BARF*

My dad has a picture of him with George Takei at the Hub when he was doing a book signing for 'Mirror Friend, Mirror Foe'... its neat.

Ignot
01-06-2008, 11:15 AM

this was the funniest part. Nobody believes that anyone playing Gemstone is going to be hooking up with any hot ladies. Who the fuck says Lady nowadays anyways?

ViridianAsp
01-06-2008, 11:17 AM
I live really close to Ohlone College I love it, I'm super close to the hills. I do miss that theater too, lots of memories, heh. I've lived here most of my life, I'm going to miss it when we move. :(

Summertime
01-06-2008, 11:23 AM
I live really close to Ohlone College I love it, I'm super close to the hills. I do miss that theater too, lots of memories, heh. I've lived here most of my life, I'm going to miss it when we move. :(

ULTRALITES FTMFW!!!!

***ZZZZZOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!!*** (wooosh!)

Methais
01-06-2008, 11:57 AM
ROFLROFLROFL

That's Analog, not Digital.

Stanley Burrell
01-06-2008, 01:44 PM

I couldn't find the original reference :-\ Or the some [most] (all) whazzit neither.

Now then, I have to get back to pooperscoopin' Cocker Spaniel doodoo for the ASPCA. Bah.

Friendly Edit:

I HAVE TO TYPE WITH MY TONGUE BECAUSE I'M A DISEMBODIED HEAD

Good times. Wish the search function wasn't nerfed.

Sthrockmorton
01-06-2008, 02:26 PM
What are they going to do? Stun maneuver me? I'm insulting your stupid fucking game, not picking fights in real life.
Umm, a stupid fucking game.... that you played

:rofl: You must have some pretty cool friends.

Whimsi
01-06-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm actually hanging out with 10 supermodels and writing my autobiography about my incredibly cool and interesting and exciting life and all my friends are outside waiting for me to walk by the window in my unbelievably expensive and cool pajamas cuz they want to see what im wearing cuz I get my cool fashion sense from europe.

Hef!!

Asha
01-06-2008, 04:44 PM

You're hanging out with your friends and you don't have much you can do but play GS?
And that's supposed to make you look cool?

''OMFG:rofl:THISISWIN!!! Dude you're totally PWNIN them manticores, FUCK YEAH!''
<hi five>
''We're fuxin cool!!''

Sean of the Thread
01-06-2008, 04:54 PM
THE WHEELS ON THE RX-7 GO ROUND AND ROUND.. ROUND AND ROUND VROOOOOOOOOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv4m41viy4I

B2
01-06-2008, 06:28 PM
You know...I lived in the Bay Area for two years, and never ONCE did I see any thunder or lightning storms.

It drizzled for four months, and then it didn't for eight months.

I never saw anything I'd call "storming pretty bad".

Necromancer
01-07-2008, 12:58 AM
The worst part wasn't the fact that you posted a log of you *clearly* AFK scripting; it was that you posted half of GS policy and made us wade through it.

HEY JERKOFF WE ACTUALLY KNOW POLICY

Have a good life.

FinisWolf
01-07-2008, 01:04 AM
I are is the winner bestest all of.

The above sentence makes just as much sense as whatever point the OP was trying to make. At least to me.

Finis

alexrate
01-07-2008, 02:46 AM
quittin is the smartest thing to do

p.s.
toga here

Celephais
01-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Whilst the original poster was unbelievably stupid, threats/boasts of power over the internet are about the dumbest thing you can possibly do (not like he didn't do it either, but you kinda joined him with "send a few pals")

Deathravin
01-07-2008, 10:04 AM
I guess the OP doesn't understand what the meaning of 'Here' is.

If you script, you just need to keep the window active and as long as possible to make sure you can see things that are out of the ordinary. If you don't catch them, you certainly will see the big red letters that occur after them. I almost got 'caught' once just because I had the screen really short and wide rather than tall and skinny so I couldn't see their requests for attention.

Being 'here' doesn't mean you're on the planet, in the state, around the city, in the vacinity of the building, or even walking around your room. It means you're actively paying attention to the screen. I don't like the policy, I wish there was a Fallen server, I'd script all damn day on it. But it is the policy and you just gotta follow it; it's a LOT better than it used to be.

Asha
01-07-2008, 10:31 AM
But it is the policy and you just gotta follow it; it's a LOT better than it used to be.

Exactly. And if you manage to get caught and barred with the more lenient rules you are an idiot.
Furthermore, acting like you did, you deserved no less.

Methais
01-07-2008, 01:18 PM
THE WHEELS ON THE RX-7 GO ROUND AND ROUND.. ROUND AND ROUND VROOOOOOOOOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv4m41viy4I

Hahahaha that's great.