PDA

View Full Version : Alteration idea

Savageheart
01-04-2008, 01:58 PM
I am wondering if I can use a scroll to get some sort of Animal Head Epaulet created out of a shoulder worn satchel or harness... Saw someone with a pocketed single shoulder poldron and its pretty much a blatant rip from that save this one was racial in nature.

Thoughts?

Hips
01-04-2008, 02:08 PM
You'd probably be better off finding a pauldron or other shoulder-worn armor that's pocketed. I highly doubt you'd be able to find a merchant willing to make a satchel or other container into what is essentially an armor accessory/ornament.

Savageheart
01-04-2008, 02:17 PM
were it pauldron I'd agree but epaulet are entirely ornamental in nature theirs no actual protective function of them. Its a shoulder worn fluff item.

Hips
01-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Main Entry:
ep·au·let
Variant(s):
also ep·au·lette \ˌe-pə-ˈlet; ˈe-pə-ˌlet, -lət\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
French épaulette, diminutive of épaule shoulder, from Old French espalle, from Late Latin spatula shoulder blade, spoon, diminutive of Latin spatha spoon, sword — more at spade
Date:

: something that ornaments or protects the shoulder: as a: an ornamental fringed shoulder pad formerly worn as part of a military uniform b: an ornamental strip or loop sewn across the shoulder of a dress or coat

Regardless of what it does, you're going to have a very hard time finding a GM willing to alter a CONTAINER into wearable fluff. GMs can't change the essence of what an item is... so changing a satchel into an epaulet is a no-no.

Savageheart
01-04-2008, 02:57 PM
I was going to post a wikipedia link but I realized you just want to be contrary, I mean this is PC. You win the internet champ, tomorrow we'll work on your self esteem.

Too the useful and possibly correct portion of your post I'll concede your probably right, though you've demonstrated that your knowledge is circumspect so I'll probably try anyway.

Oh what the hell I'm feeling indulgent. Here you go sailor.

Epaulette (pronunciation: /ˈɛpǝlɛt/) is a French word meaning "little shoulder" (from épaule, meaning "shoulder"). Epaulettes are a type of ornamental shoulder piece or decoration used as insignia or rank by the military and other organizations. Colloquially, the word has also come to refer to some types of shoulder strap.

Epaulettes are fastened to the shoulder by a passant, a small strap parallel to the shoulder seam and the button near the collar, or by laces on the underside of the epaulette passing through holes in the shoulder of the coat. The placement of the epaulette, its color and the length and diameter of its bullion fringe are used to signify the wearer's rank. At the join of the fringe and the shoulderpiece is often a metal piece in the form of a crescent. Although originally worn in the field, epaulettes are more common today on dress or ceremonial uniforms. Shoulder straps are also found on civilian clothing that derives from military uniforms such as the trench coat, the safari jacket and other garments.

Savageheart
01-04-2008, 03:04 PM
PS I just quit smoking if we start a flame war I will make disparaging references to both your sexuality and your resemblance to a member of the opposite sex, and possibly a wombat.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go find a table leg to gnaw on.

Celephais
01-04-2008, 03:14 PM
First, you're an idiot.

Second, noun changes always require a little bit of prying, and to change the entire form and function of the noun you're really going to have to stretch. I'm not saying it's impossible (worse has been done), but it'll be tough.

Third, How on earth do you think that a satchel is closer to an epaulet than a pauldron? ... and MW trumps Wiki any day of the week on word definitions (especially when you're Wiki entry is the french version and you originally asked with the english version)

Savageheart
01-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Well to reply in order:

First

No, I'm what passes for intelligent these days, but hell that probably isn't saying much. I blame MTV.

Second Agreed, whole heartedly

Third

Quibbling verbal masturbation. French versus English? Same item. Either way I certainly added fuel to the fire by being catty, its Friday and I'm bored and edgy until at least 5. All that being said, you are going to have to come up with a better qualification than YOU SPELLED IT FRENCH. Same thing, less deodorant.

Its a shoulder decoration, not armor... We can keep going back and fourth on that though, its providing some entertainment. I'm sure someone else will agree with you too. You know who else some people agreed with?

HITLER!

When we are done with this though, I would appreciate any interest into trying to figure out how to get said shoulder ornamentation affected. I really don't care about the pockets, but there are not generally shoulder worns that are not containers of some sort, and I wanted it to be shoulder worn not pin worn. Any thoughts on that matter would be appreciated.

Hips
01-04-2008, 03:35 PM
I was going to post a wikipedia link but I realized you just want to be contrary, I mean this is PC. You win the internet champ, tomorrow we'll work on your self esteem.

Wrong. I have no issues with you as a player, therefore there is no need for me to be contrary. As a matter of fact, considering I, as a player, like your character, I have been purposely less scathing than I normally would be if an average person suggested a similar idea. I merely told you the truth. If you choose to interpret that as being "contrary," well, so be it.

To add to my initial point, I spoke with a GM, and their answer was as I said. She said, and I quote, "they can't be altered into that anyhow. We can't change the essence of what an item is. So we can't change a satchel into an epaulet."

Also, I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish with that particular quotation from wikipedia, as a container such as a satchel is not an "ornamental shoulder piece or decoration used as insignia or rank by the military."

Did you know that epaulettes can also be found on Elizabethan and Victorian women's clothing? Along with shoulder rolls, they were used to make bodices or sleeves of gowns look more sumptuous.

Then again, I don't think you're going for that particular look either. :)

Hips
01-04-2008, 03:38 PM
As for getting the shoulder ornamentation itself, I would suggest finding a shoulder-worn pauldron or actual epaulet. They do exist in game. I know Lysistrata had one altered into a demon's visage (if I'm remembering correctly, anyway) so an animal's head would be perfectly acceptable.

If you're looking for someone to purchase one from, I know that Jaysehn has one lockered somewhere. You could try asking him.

Savageheart
01-04-2008, 03:44 PM
When someone posts a definition in response to me I assume they are being snide in general. It comes from my general perception that I know everything.

As such I reacted in shall we say a rather inhospitable manner, assumptions can be the death of you though or me rather.

In any event, looking back I was much pissier than your post warranted. Please note the post refering to the table leg and nicotine withdrawals. I do not believe this excuses my behavior but it at least adds context. I apologize, (but not to Cele he called me an idiot, I'm going to cry about that instead).

Anyway, so how do I get a shoulder worn item made into this, any ideas. I have an exceptional outfit in my head (I keep other things in there too) and enough PP to script at least half of it (I never know what to do with these things, mine as well blow it on fluff). But the shoulder piece is leaving me blank.

I'm really not sure if I could ask Jay for anything without attempting to strangle him with his cravat. We prefer to regard each other with subdued open insults. However it's good to know some of these items exist SOMEWHERE... now I must find them.

Hips
01-04-2008, 03:54 PM
If you're dead set on having it shoulder-worn instead of pin-worn, I would suggest looking around (once playershops is up again, anyway) for pauldrons, spaulders, and epaulets. I'm not sure what kind of shoulder-worn fluff there is otherwise that would be suitable and still fit within GM alter rules.

Unfortunately, the "wickedly spiked silver pauldron" which I was originally thinking of are pinworn (sold in A Gill Too Far, on the Wavedancer)... so those are out.

Anebriated
01-04-2008, 03:56 PM
i apparently cant read, i blame the percs.

Savageheart
01-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Yes playershops are down, as for the shoulder worn idea, it just comes from my general laziness about organizing pinworn items so that they appear in order. Auto-Sort!

But I'm sure they'd alter the pauldron at least. Looks like I'll be finding one of those again the pocketed idea was unimportant, was just a vehicle to get at something shoulder worn.

Now all I need is the rubber pants...

Hips
01-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Yes playershops are down, as for the shoulder worn idea, it just comes from my general laziness about organizing pinworn items so that they appear in order. Auto-Sort!

But I'm sure they'd alter the pauldron at least. Looks like I'll be finding one of those.

Now all I need is the rubber pants...

Just put your outfit in proper order, and use SORT AUTO REVERSE when you log in/out. That way you don't need to sort stuff up and down or auto sort.

And do I even want to know about the rubber pants? :wtf2:

Savageheart
01-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Also purely decorative...

Hmm, ok well when playershops comes back up I can see if those items are reasonably had.

DCSL
01-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Eh, mine (Lysistrata's) was a sleek eahnor aishan head pauldron with a show of: Several tones and shades of eahnor have been used to form the pauldron, and thick spidersilk straps are meant to secure it to the shoulder. The aishan's head shape, from narrow muzzle to flared ruff, has been distorted beyond even its normal demonic countenance; the wolfish face has far too many sharp teeth and a sinuous jointed tongue serves to curl around the wearer's arm. The demon's eyes are particularly well done, rendered in a range of metals designed to distort a viewer's mirrored image.

I'm relieved that you let go of the idea of having something like that (only much smaller as an epaulett doesn't even cover the entire shoulder) made out of a satchel. From personal experience, you'll have much more luck getting it altered from a non-armor pauldron.

And... if you can't get it from an alter scroll, I wouldn't be entirely disappointed, depending on the design. The alter scrolls can be a real bitch. The rules for alters from the scrolls are much tighter and you never know what a GM will refuse on them. Getting it from a live merchant would be much easier, if you're refused the first time by a scroll.

Elvenlady
01-04-2008, 06:20 PM
The alter scrolls can be a real bitch.

Ain't that the truth!

Hips
01-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Ain't that the truth!

Did you ever get a response about the bodysuit?

Asha
01-04-2008, 06:46 PM
I'm all over this shit.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i191/shimmisking/green-bodysuit.jpg

GuildRat
01-04-2008, 06:54 PM
AHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Elvenlady
01-05-2008, 04:42 AM
Did you ever get a response about the bodysuit?

I got the standard bullshit response.

"It actually looks like the response from the attending GM was in line with current QC standards. You'll probably want to consider an email to Feedback if you have further questions about the issue. I'll make the appropriate logs to point them in the right direction should you choose to do that.

~
GM Emeradan"

Feedback, here I come!

I'm all over this shit.

Damn I look good!

:heart: U Ash for making me laugh this morning.

Gelston
01-05-2008, 04:49 AM
Epaulettes denoting rank weren't worn until the 1700s. Go with a gorget, which denoted officer rank before the epaulette. Hell, the British Army didn't even adopt the epaulette until 1768.

Drew
01-05-2008, 06:27 AM
Although I'd prefer a gorget as well, there are lots of 1700s (and 1800s) inventions in GS.

DCSL
01-05-2008, 11:19 AM
I would cast my vote for the gorget as well. Love 'em. But maybe the guy's already wearing too much in the area.

7Seconds
01-05-2008, 12:39 PM
ever worn a gorget IRL? a properly fitted one is no fun :( the fact they help keep your neck from snapping however is. :)

Blud
01-09-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm all over this shit.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i191/shimmisking/green-bodysuit.jpg

HA! Good one!