PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted

Elvenlady
01-01-2008, 09:35 AM
I was contemplating putting one of my girls in a bodysuit i.e altering some fulls for her. I'd like to keep her inventory to an absolute minimum so would envisage her wearing her armor as everyday wear (she currently wears robes) but I don't want it to scream "Catwoman" or "whore".

Is it possible to wear form-fitting armor without this happening?

Over to you guys.

Aasterinian
01-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Could always go cenobite style.

To answer your question. Yes, it's possible. No I have nothing at the ready for you. I'm at work, my own notes for one of my characters own bodysuit type armors are there.

Best way to avoid catwoman or whore references are to go light on the "sensual" descriptive words. Touch lightly on the fact that it is, indeed, form hugging, but then describe the material and construction/adornment more then how it makes your boobs look.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
01-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Could always go cenobite style.

To answer your question. Yes, it's possible. No I have nothing at the ready for you. I'm at work, my own notes for one of my characters own bodysuit type armors are there.

Best way to avoid catwoman or whore references are to go light on the "sensual" descriptive words. Touch lightly on the fact that it is, indeed, form hugging, but then describe the material and construction/adornment more then how it makes your boobs look.

Pretty much. I wouldn't go on about how it clings and hugs to a curvaceous form and has a built in push-up bra. Really describing the utility and and the actual construction/color/and material will also go a long way.

I also recommend a color other than black, even if you want it to be really dark.

DCSL
01-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Definitely agree with Nick. It's possible, but avoid trying to make your character look sexy in it. No low-cut necklines (shockingly, I've seen women put that sort of thing on ARMOR) or anything like that. The fact that the noun is "bodysuit" will be a plenty big hint that it's form-fitting, so I wouldn't even put anything like that in the tap. I'm a big fan of the cenobite style that Nick mentioned, too.

This design is off the top of my head so it's crap, but it may at least help. Especially as I don't know the colors she wears or the style.

a simple smooth,dark leather,bodysuit
The leather of the bodysuit is like a shell, tailored to fit well and close then boiled hard to protect. After a nod towards defense, comfort becomes the primary objective, softening the leather slightly at the laced joints for ease of movement and adding a lining of quilted silk padding. From its high collar on down, the bodysuit has no adornment beyond the functional, relying on clean lines for aesthetics.

Elvenlady
01-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks! All good stuff and exactly what I was looking for.

So taking Dex's idea (definitely no low cut necklines for this elf but I'd like her to still have a touch of femininity about her ruthlessness) I came up with this, feel free to rip it apart.

a smooth ebon leather bodysuit ~ The finest quality leather, tailored to fit like a second skin, has been dyed the deepest ebon possible and boiled hard to protect. Comfort and practicality are the primary objective, achieved by the adjustable cross-lacing from the high collar to the small of the back and the addition of a lining of quilted silk padding. The bodysuit has no other adornment beyond the functional, relying on clean lines for aesthetics.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
01-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks! All good stuff and exactly what I was looking for.

So taking Dex's idea (definitely no low cut necklines for this elf but I'd like her to still have a touch of femininity about her ruthlessness) I came up with this, feel free to rip it apart.

a smooth ebon leather bodysuit ~ The finest quality leather, tailored to fit like a second skin, has been dyed the deepest ebon possible and boiled hard to protect. Comfort and practicality are the primary objective, achieved by the adjustable cross-lacing from the high collar to the small of the back and the addition of a lining of quilted silk padding. The bodysuit has no other adornment beyond the functional, relying on clean lines for aesthetics.

This is just a personal thing, but this is what I would do:

a smooth ebon leather bodysuit ~ Fine leather, tailored to fit like a second skin, is dyed to a deep ebon and boiled hard to protect. Comfort and practicality are the primary objective, achieved by the adjustable cross-lacing from the high collar to the small of the back and the addition of a lining of quilted silk padding. The bodysuit has no other adornment beyond the functional, relying on clean lines for aesthetics.

Elvenlady
01-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Yup, getting better, thanks.

Androidpk
01-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Still seems a little catwomanish with the ebon color and cross-lacing.

Elvenlady
01-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Cross-lacing is my attempt at feminine practicality, it has to be more comfortable and flexible than hard metal rivets or clasps and I'm somewhat limited in color schemes because I want it dark but not black. She's currently wearing ebony and I like that look on her. It's got to be better than scarlet though, right?

Androidpk
01-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Much much better then scarlet. My suggestion would be a color other then black, but something that would go good with the rest of your items, like a dark umber maybe?

Jazuela
01-01-2008, 01:12 PM
If you wanted actual practicality you'd have a snap crotch so you could (virtually) go to the bathroom without peeing on your pretty feminine practical leathers. It seems to me you're not going for practicality at all when you use "cross-lacing" in your description, you're going to femininity, period. Why not just call it what it is instead of pretending otherwise? If you wanted something functional without drawing attention to your character's curves and tits, you wouldn't have her wearing a bodysuit at all.

Aasterinian
01-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Charcoal grey, or something?

thefarmer
01-01-2008, 02:43 PM
If you wanted actual practicality you'd have a snap crotch so you could (virtually) go to the bathroom without peeing on your pretty feminine practical leathers. It seems to me you're not going for practicality at all when you use "cross-lacing" in your description, you're going to femininity, period. Why not just call it what it is instead of pretending otherwise? If you wanted something functional without drawing attention to your character's curves and tits, you wouldn't have her wearing a bodysuit at all.

:wtf:

Elvenlady
01-01-2008, 02:52 PM
rant

Who peed in your cheerios? Way to be helpful.

BriarFox
01-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Who peed in your cheerios? Way to be helpful.

I'm going to have to steal that and use it later. Anyway, perhaps something like this:

a dark green cuirbouilli bodysuit: Supple boiled leather dyed a green so deep as to be almost black has been shaped into a form-fitting suit of armor. The suit is obviously made for a woman, but the restrictive leather displays only a bare hint of curves. Tight cross-lacings draw the armor together and hold it in place, one extra loop of leather tied twice around the left bracer. The lacings form an attractive cross-hatched pattern across the back of the calves, up the inner wrists, and down the back.

I know there's cuirbouilli armor in the game, where it's oddly used as an armor type, but it technically just means "boiled leather." I think that emphasis on a slightly unattractive material and the dark green color might keep people from imagining that you're wearing a cat-woman suit (which is more spandex anyway).

The only problem I really have with the whole thing is that you're altering full leather into a "bodysuit," when it only covers the torso and arms. ;)

Xiandrena
01-01-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm going to have to steal that and use it later. Anyway, perhaps something like this:

a dark green cuirbouilli bodysuit: Supple boiled leather dyed a green so deep as to be almost black has been shaped into a form-fitting suit of armor. The suit is obviously made for a woman, but the restrictive leather displays only a bare hint of curves. Tight cross-lacings draw the armor together and hold it in place, one extra loop of leather tied twice around the left bracer. The lacings form an attractive cross-hatched pattern across the back of the calves, up the inner wrists, and down the back.

I know there's cuirbouilli armor in the game, where it's oddly used as an armor type, but it technically just means "boiled leather." I think that emphasis on a slightly unattractive material and the dark green color might keep people from imagining that you're wearing a cat-woman suit (which is more spandex anyway).

The only problem I really have with the whole thing is that you're altering full leather into a "bodysuit," when it only covers the torso and arms. ;)

That is very nice.

Androidpk
01-01-2008, 07:19 PM
I agree, very nice design there BriarFox. I'd still go with the umber color though :D

Hips
01-01-2008, 07:25 PM
My vote is for charcoal, it's sooo in!

Methais
01-01-2008, 07:27 PM
I was contemplating putting one of my girls in a bodysuit i.e altering some fulls for her. I'd like to keep her inventory to an absolute minimum so would envisage her wearing her armor as everyday wear (she currently wears robes) but I don't want it to scream "Catwoman" or "whore".

Is it possible to wear form-fitting armor without this happening?

Over to you guys.

Try this.

http://www.rovang.org/wg/pics/pinkranger.jpg

Androidpk
01-01-2008, 07:29 PM
http://www.matrices.net/images/bodysuit1.jpg

Charcoal??

Ilvane
01-01-2008, 07:43 PM
lmao..

BriarFox
01-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Gah. Furry! Kill it!

Stunseed
01-01-2008, 08:14 PM
< Who peed in your cheerios? Way to be helpful. >

Pfft. The real joke is the following.

Who shit in your Kix and told you it was Cocoa Puffs?

Elvenlady
01-02-2008, 06:00 AM
a dark green cuirbouilli bodysuit

Green, I like!

Fur and pink power ranger, meh, not so much but thanks for the giggles.

And you're right, they're actually doubles not fulls, I always get those around the wrong way!

/blonde moment

Who shit in your Kix and told you it was Cocoa Puffs?

I'd use that but it doesn't translate across the Atlantic I'm afraid, we don't have Kix. ;)

Martaigne
01-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Hit me up on AIM, I'll help get you sorted. Armor's my specialty. :D

CrystalTears
01-02-2008, 08:35 AM
Hit me up on AIM, I'll help get you sorted. Armor's my specialty. :D
Just remember that armor doesn't have plackets.

/hides

Elvenlady
01-04-2008, 12:39 PM
I am getting so pissed off with the GMs inconsistent approach as to what is and isn't acceptable for alters.

I put in the scroll to have the doubles altered to a pretty straightforward bodysuit (without the crotch snaps) and have received the following response:

The merchant's last response was: Hello xxxx, "Bodysuit" is not an acceptable noun for armor because it implies an item of clothing, rather than protective armor. For double leather the appropriate nouns are rather limited, but some are leathers, hunts, and armor.

Which is a complete crock of shit because there was a set of double leathers for sale at EG06: a padded dark grey leather bodysuit lined with silk.

I actually own a set of that armor but didn't submit that for alteration because it wasn't a high enough enchant. Perhaps I should, just to make a point.

In my frustration I've decided to take up the gauntlet and post on the officials asking for a reasoned explanation, which I know is likely to be in vain. Any bets on the likelihood of me getting a response to the effect of "just because it happened once doesn't mean it will happen again"? or "yeah sucks don't it?"

Savageheart
01-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Ask them if they will do Leotard instead? :)

Yeah there are a ton of these out there to point at both merchant bought and altered. I'm sure some even still have the merchant logs, doesn't Nilandia have everything ever made ever documented? Ever?

Elvenlady
01-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Nilandia's site is actually where I double checked the use of the noun because I remember them and wanted to be sure it was acceptable before submitting it! I've referred the scroll GM to that fact but I doubt it will do my argument much good. They're not likely to ever admit they were wrong ... heaven forbid.

And I believe Nilandia actually wears a bodysuit for her armor too. But I'm not about to point them openly in her direction, that wouldn't be fair in case they decide to be complete jerks and pull them. I apologise in advance Gretchen if the GM concerned reads this and does just that.

GuildRat
01-07-2008, 02:42 PM
She is wearing a padded dark grey leather bodysuit lined with silk, a velvety soft deep black rose tucked behind one ear, a slim crimson-veined obsidian collar clasped with a swirl of invar filigree, a half-buttoned deep black silk longcloak, a carved obsidian rose ring, a carved rosewood case, and some pointy-toed black leather boots.

If that's not you...you have a legit bitch...nice outfit on this sylph btw.

B2
01-07-2008, 02:52 PM
There are *hundreds* of bodysuits in the game. They've been released steadily over the years.

Elvenlady
01-07-2008, 02:52 PM
That isn't me but it's pretty damn close to the outfit I had planned.

And yeah, I think I have a pretty "legit bitch" given that Naos came out and openly admitted on the officials that he was responsible for the original bodysuits on sale at EG06. He doesn't have a problem with it and, unless I'm very much mistaken, Naos is fairly well respected as a GM.

GuildRat
01-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Whoever it was RP'd off the oogling I was doing in stride....kudos. Her bodysuit wasn't protective tho.

Speaking to XXXXX, you ask, "Is the suit protective at all?"
>
Speaking to you, XXXXX says, "Not yet, but soon I'm hoping."

GuildRat
01-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Yea, that came off as flaming as all get out...::mutter::

Elvenlady
01-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Speaking to XXXXX, you ask, "Is the suit protective at all?"
>
Speaking to you, XXXXX says, "Not yet, but soon I'm hoping."

They sold as 0x double leathers at EG which is why I didn't bother putting those up for altering, I assumed it would be easier to offer my 4x doubles instead ... big mistake!

GuildRat
01-07-2008, 03:01 PM
They sold as 0x double leathers at EG which is why I didn't bother putting those up for altering, I assumed it would be easier to offer my 4x doubles instead ... big mistake!

That would explain the lack of armor.

Beguiler
01-07-2008, 04:18 PM
I am getting so pissed off with the GMs inconsistent approach as to what is and isn't acceptable for alters.

I put in the scroll to have the doubles altered to a pretty straightforward bodysuit (without the crotch snaps) and have received the following response...

Of course, this just broke my heart. I had purchased (off these boards) a lovely 'bodysuit of close-cut black leather'..with a great show. On the final cast of the 7x enchant, it failed. Le sigh. But, wait! I had a second set of female only doubles, that I'm currently having enchanted, and I was just going to have the description and show done word for word through and alter scroll. Now..damn.

Does anyone have any ideas for an allowable description that comes anywhere near the spirit of the original? I'm spitting mad right there along ElvenLady...

B2
01-07-2008, 04:29 PM
I weep for my old bodysuit. I'm glad you liked it though.

GuildRat
01-07-2008, 04:30 PM
A set of form fitted, close-cut black leathers...that'd be the look...the show would be entirely up to you.

Elvenlady
01-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Does anyone have any ideas for an allowable description that comes anywhere near the spirit of the original? I'm spitting mad right there along ElvenLady...

Don't give up hope yet, I refuse to! I've taken this up on the officials under the Four Winds Isle Folder, Benefits and also written to feedback. Please feel free to join in and add your opinion there too, it can only help.

:rah:

A set of form fitted, close-cut black leathers...that'd be the look...the show would be entirely up to you.

That would fail too, it has a comma and I would venture the opinion that form fitted means the same as close cut. Besides, if Beguiler is like me, she wants to avoid the awful cliches of form-fitting, curvaceous, voluptuous all of which are apparently "acceptable" even though those adjectives can be summed up with one simple noun ... bodysuit.