PDA

View Full Version : Emotions in sentences

Soulpieced
07-01-2003, 04:49 PM
Keeda warmly says, "Open"....flashing the brightest of smiles at you..." lower 50s and under"

All I can say is wow.

Ramos
07-01-2003, 05:15 PM
It's less screen scroll than:

Keeda warmly says, "Open, lower 50s and under."
>
Keeda smiles brightly.

Caels
07-01-2003, 05:24 PM
lol, Keeda? Was that picking?

Next time ya see her, tell her Caels says hi.

[Edited on 7-1-2003 by Caels]

Vesi
07-01-2003, 06:31 PM
Actually, I would cringe more at the 'lower 50's and under' than the fact she tried to smile in the middle of a sentence. I've seen people who can incorporate actions nicely in a sentence with the use of proper punctuation.

Vesi the punctuation impaired

[Edited on 7-1-2003 by Vesi]

Caels
07-01-2003, 09:33 PM
Keeda was never the best grammatically, but in the RP sense you wouldn't see her punctuation as she speaks it anyhow.

Morstanya
07-01-2003, 10:18 PM
I have to agree with Vesi. It's nice to see people taking the time to imbed actions in the middle of phrases. However, in an attempt to rp, you shouldn't insert something like 50's.

I know how to imbed those sort of phrases but I choose not to because I'm lazy about things like that, and I get my points across without it.

More power to those that do excercise such devices. It's a great way to expand rp if you use it correctly.

Edaarin
07-01-2003, 10:27 PM
I don't see what the big problem here is. What I can't stand are emoticons and smilies. Few things annoy me more in game than seeing

XXXX [subdued]: buying a crystal amulet, TTM ;)

Bobmuhthol
07-01-2003, 10:51 PM
I don't think it's acceptable, along with emoticons and deciding to put things within colons, making it look even stupider.

Idiot [subdued]: "I am an idiot colon colon grin colon colon."

I read things as they are, if someone says, "smiles at you", I'm going to assume they're unfathomably stupid and I should immediately blacklist them/harass them. It's just not roleplaying, no matter how much you want it to be.

A few days ago, someone thought they'd be a great roleplayer and say, "What's mail?" (Someone said something about a mail-order bride, which isn't too OOC, let alone the fact that it could exist in Elanthia.) In fact, there's no evidence that there is no mail in Elanthia, and people are always trying to roleplay by calling e-mail an e-scroll. People should always remember one thing: If you're going to try and be a good roleplayer, don't be an idiot about it. Try actually roleplaying.

--I'm using Quick Reply and I have no idea what I just said.