PDA

View Full Version : ROLEPLAYING TIP: RACE PART I

theotherjohn
12-09-2003, 06:42 AM
Why do they keep looking at me funny?

Races in GemStone IV are a lot more than a collection of numbers and stat bonuses. They are the foundation upon which all roleplay is based. Each race has its own unique history and culture within the world of Elanthia, and the history of Elanthia as a whole is a huge story about the different races interacting over thousands of years.

As you play, you will run into NPC's and other player characters who may interact with you in unexpected ways. Maybe you just got overcharged at a town shop, or someone insulted you because of your race. None of that will make much sense unless you have a basic understanding of the history behind the various races.

The easiest and quickest way to gain some of the basic understanding needed to truly immerse yourself into the GemStone IV world is to look at the Timeline of Elanthian History. Even after reading it the first time, it is a good idea to bookmark it in your web browser to use later as a quick reference guide.

The Timeline can be found at: http://www.play.net/gs4/info/tomes/timeline.asp

Kitsun
12-09-2003, 11:48 AM
For some reason I think this is aimed for the dark elves in Ta'Illistim that keep complaining that the jeweler won't give them good prices. For some unexplainable reason, they feel that the hatred for dark elves is unfounded! Why the dark elves should be loved and embraced for who they are!

I just can't get over people constantly trying to imbue 20th century equality values into a game in which the setting is SUPPOSED to have marked racial hatred. While I hope this hits the target audience, witnessing a billion people on the net fumble about with no idea how to find the bonuses of the new wood types is disheartening.

Wezas
12-09-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Kitsun
For some reason I think this is aimed for the dark elves in Ta'Illistim that keep complaining that the jeweler won't give them good prices.

Good, those dirt elves should be treated as such.

Kurili
12-09-2003, 01:37 PM
My Dark Elves dont like the EN. BECAUSE they arent wanted there, and are treated badly. The timeline supports the reasons why, and my girls just avoid the area whenever possible. Of course, when one is there, for some reason, she spends a lot of time grumbling about the miserable Elves there. Quietly of course, so they cant hear her.

Acolyte Kurili

Moist Happenings
12-09-2003, 01:45 PM
About 90 percent of the people in the game need to read that a few times.

edit to add: Especially this part - aces in GemStone IV are a lot more than a collection of numbers and stat bonuses.

[Edited on 12-9-2003 by Neff]

Latrinsorm
12-09-2003, 03:36 PM
Yeah.. you can't get into Cavernhold if you're tall.. and, uh... Shops cost stuff! and.. uh...

Ok, races are just stat bonuses. RP if you feel like it, don't expect anyone else to, we're sure as hell not going to stop any of the OOC madness.

^
That should be an announcement. I would instantly buy five more accounts in support. Well not really. But Neff said Aces. Heh heh.

Fallen
12-12-2003, 03:57 PM
I laughed out loud when I read this Official announcement on the boards. I wholeheartedly believe the bulk of the GS population is completely oblivious to race histories and documentented racial tensions.

Staceyrain
12-12-2003, 04:20 PM
Well, there has always been two sides to this arguement
Being a long time rolepalyer, I am more for the second than the first

The first arguement is pure RP: paying more attention to race hatred due to RP envirements. But my thought is this just can't work due to the fact that if you have an overpopulation of a race, you have a takeover effect.

The second is that culture is something to give our charectors flavor, and a way to ad to the depth of our charector. When I was young I used to argue with this english teacher I had, and point to how mathmatically, it worked best for a DnD party to carry several races, so that the group as a whole worked better, and taught other kids to forget racist trash and work together. I will not argue someone playing race to the hilt BUT... how will I get to interact with an elf if as a human I encounter only scorn?
Antipathy is good, I dont mind other races saying things like, Wow, your actually a smart human. That creates interest in both cultures, but the hatred part, and I have encountered it, really only serves to corrupt what could have been an interesting interaction.

Fallen
12-31-2003, 02:05 PM
Antipathy is good, I dont mind other races saying things like, Wow, your actually a smart human. That creates interest in both cultures, but the hatred part, and I have encountered it, really only serves to corrupt what could have been an interesting interaction. >>

You would be surprised how quickly someone will jump back into character when you attack their PC on a racial level. Nothing brings fence-sitters into an IC roleplaying situation better than righteous racial hatred of another.

Kurapira
12-31-2003, 02:45 PM
I try to read anything and everything about races. Kurapira is the main character I play, and the most picky about whom she frats with. (She just recently had a huge change over, whole other story.)

Like...
Half-(insert your race here) Is someone she will not speak with, well, prefers not too.
Kurapira is a dark Faendryl elf, she just tries to stick to her kind..because anyone other then her race doesn't know chit like a Faendryl. So yeah.

IE: She does like VERY FEW races, you'll just have to rp with her and figure out what kind. Good luck..heh.

Fallen
12-31-2003, 03:31 PM
Try looking for certain traits to like in the elven races based on their culture. Illistim elves for their intelligence, Vaalor for their combat effectiveness, ect.

DeV
01-02-2004, 02:44 PM
i dont like the term darkie..other than that the racism in game is to be expected.