PDA

View Full Version : Back to Britain you go..

Crazy Bard
12-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Floyd Mayweather, faster, more skilled and far more accurate with his punches, dominated Hatton and knocked him out in the 10th round to retain the welterweight championship at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on Saturday night.

After that knock out ..I strongly suggest Ricky Hatton to retire.

Sean of the Thread
12-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Was hardly domination.

Would have been Hatton by decision had it finished.

Skeeter
12-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Did you even watch the fight? Mayweather completely outclassed and destroyed Hatton.

This isn't the MMA you actually have to land punches to win.

Crazy Bard
12-09-2007, 02:12 PM
True ..The Judges were favoring Mayweather even before he got the knock out punch.

stallion4
12-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Hatton won some of the earlier rounds but started to lose it as it went. Mayweathers hands are filthy fast and started popping him pretty good the longer the fight went. You could see Hatton losing any type of control and it was just a matter of time until he got stuck.

Hulkein
12-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Was hardly domination.

Would have been Hatton by decision had it finished.

Hahahaha. What fight were you watching?

Sean of the Thread
12-09-2007, 03:06 PM
I only saw the first three or so rounds at the winghouse. It looked like floyd was up to his dance and only counter punch and milk a decision shit all over again.

They both need to retire.

Hulkein
12-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Why would an undefeated fighter who just KO'd another undefeated fighter need to retire?

Sean of the Thread
12-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Why would an undefeated fighter who just KO'd another undefeated fighter need to retire?

Because floyd whines more than tom brady on the rag and I think he's a queer.

And just looked up some scorecards. Hatton was leading up to the halfway point.. I know floyd is an iron man so I'm not surprised he ended up running circles around him down the stretch.

Asha
12-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Was supposed to go to the pub at 1am to watch it. Glad I didn't.

Hulkein
12-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Because floyd whines more than tom brady on the rag and I think he's a queer.

And just looked up some scorecards. Hatton was leading up to the halfway point.. I know floyd is an iron man so I'm not surprised he ended up running circles around him down the stretch.

You might dislike him but he's the best boxer out there right now. I thought Hatton was winning the fight after the first five or so rounds, but it was clear that he was out of gas. Even if he didn't get KO'd he would've lost in a UD.

I was rooting for Hatton kind of (despite him being from the UK) until the punk British fans booed our national anthem.

Ignot
12-09-2007, 07:07 PM
I was rooting for Hatton kind of (despite him being from the UK) until the punk British fans booed our national anthem.

thats how i felt! why the fuck are they booeing the national anthem? Hatton should not retire and i would like to see him in some other fights. Too bad it sounds like we may not see Cotto/Mayweather

good fight though

Drew
12-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Overall Hatton won the first 7 rounds of the fight easily, but I give Floyd a lot of credit, he's The Borg of boxers. After a while he adapts and you are screwed. I don't like Floyd at all and I was hoping Hatton would teach his liver a lesson he'd never forget but that knockout was something else. If they rematch it has to be fought at 140 or Ricky has no chance, he's too small for welter.

I'd like to see Floyd fight Cotto or even a guy like Margarito but I don't see him doing it. Hatton is in an unfortunate situation in that he is clearly the man at 140 and there is no competition for him there. 147 is the best it's been since Leonard, Hearns, Hagler and Duran were all fighting in and around that weight in the 80s. Unfortunately for Hatton at 5'6 he's just too short to fight at 147, he's really a great 140 fighter, but like I mentioned, there is no one at 140 that he wouldn't eat alive.

Hulkein
12-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Overall Hatton won the first 7 rounds of the fight easily

No he didn't.

At the time of the stoppage, Mayweather was comfortably ahead on the scorecards, 89-81 twice, and 88-82, although it seemed like a much closer fight.

http://www.hbo.com/boxing/events/2007/1208_mayweather_hatton/news/instant_update.html

I thought it was closer than that but Hatton didn't win a majority of the first 7 rounds, and he didn't win any round 'easily'. He had ineffective pressure, that's about it.

Drew
12-09-2007, 08:13 PM
I'm not saying what the official score cards reflected, just reality.

Hulkein
12-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Reality? The reality is that Hatton won maybe 3 rounds in the fight. He did absolutely no damage to Mayweather, landed less punches, no jabs, etc, etc. Yeah he pressured him but he got hit on the way to get inside and once he got inside he got worked.

Sean of the Thread
12-09-2007, 08:18 PM
He won at least 5 of the first 6.

He needed to end the fight early or get it ended on his noggin.

Drew
12-09-2007, 08:22 PM
once he got inside he got worked.

If "getting worked" consists of Floyd arm-barring Ricky's neck and putting his head under Ricky's arm when he got hit, then yes, Floyd worked him on the inside. Before round 8 I think I gave Floyd 2 rounds and 9-9 on the round Cortez took the point. PBF should have been penalized before Hatton in my mind, he's a head turner and he sold that rabbit punch to Cortez, but Floyd was doing all the holding in the early goings.

Once Floyd started moving and using his jab to punch out I started scoring his effective aggression, but not when he was hugging Ricky while Ricky attacked.

Hulkein
12-10-2007, 08:16 AM
He won at least 5 of the first 6.

He needed to end the fight early or get it ended on his noggin.

Not one of the three judges saw it that way. Not even Lederer saw it that way. Didn't you say you only barely watched the first three rounds at a bar?

Hulkein
12-10-2007, 08:18 AM
If "getting worked" consists of Floyd arm-barring Ricky's neck and putting his head under Ricky's arm when he got hit, then yes, Floyd worked him on the inside. Before round 8 I think I gave Floyd 2 rounds and 9-9 on the round Cortez took the point. PBF should have been penalized before Hatton in my mind, he's a head turner and he sold that rabbit punch to Cortez, but Floyd was doing all the holding in the early goings.

I don't know what to say. You like a fighter who presses the action like we all do, but if their pressing isn't leading to any punches then it's foolish to give them the round for that.

Drew
12-10-2007, 03:55 PM
I don't know what to say. You like a fighter who presses the action like we all do, but if their pressing isn't leading to any punches then it's foolish to give them the round for that.

I was openly rooting for Hatton and had no real need to watch it objectively, I'll rewatch it sometime and maybe I'll see something different but all the inside work I recall in the early rounds was Ricky with Floyd arm-barring and not moving.

Skeeter
12-10-2007, 04:02 PM
How could you root for Hatton after his fans booed the national anthem? You must hate mayweather because he's black.

Warriorbird
12-10-2007, 04:08 PM
The whole fight counts. Mayweather played his defensive scheme and then landed punches. Nothing wrong with it. I enjoyed it.

Drew
12-10-2007, 04:41 PM
How could you root for Hatton after his fans booed the national anthem? You must hate mayweather because he's black.

I still root for America even though we shamefully booed the O' Canada last year during the NHL playoffs. I've liked Ricky for a long time now, and I've never liked Floyd. Ricky is a funny down home type of guy. Floyd is an arrogant prick.

Kefka
12-10-2007, 04:59 PM
8 out of 9 rounds sounds like domination to me. Mayweather switched his style and faced Hatton on the inside. He proved he's just as dangerous inside as he is outside. Not only is Floyd fast, but he's accurate. By the time it hit the midway point, Hatton's head was rocking back with each punch. No way this fight was anywhere near close.

Methais
12-10-2007, 05:07 PM

He said he was going to retire after the De La Hoya fight, which he fought like a little bitch like Sean2 described.

I liked how even Mayweather's dad said after that fight that Oscar shoulda won. Course he was Oscar's trainer, but still funny.

Hulkein
12-10-2007, 05:10 PM
He said he was going to retire after the De La Hoya fight, which he fought like a little bitch like Sean2 described.

I liked how even Mayweather's dad said after that fight that Oscar shoulda won. Course he was Oscar's trainer, but still funny.

No one should have told him to retire then either. He may do it just so he can enjoy his millions and millions of dollars without training all day and keeping a strict diet, etc, but you usually only tell someone to retire when they can't get it done anymore. That's not the case.

Methais
12-10-2007, 05:15 PM
I don't really keep up with it much so I don't know who told him to retire. I just heard him say he was definitely retiring when they interviewed him right after the fight.

On an unrelated note, are there any white boxers anymore?

Warriorbird
12-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Yeah. They're usually not from America though.

There's nothing wrong with defensive fighting either.

Methais
12-10-2007, 05:31 PM
Yeah. They're usually not from America though.

The last white American boxer I can think of was Tommy Morrison. Has there been anyone since him that actually got anywhere?

There's nothing wrong with defensive fighting either.

Yes there is. Every boxing match should be straight out of a Rocky movie.

Defense should be illegal.

Hulkein
12-10-2007, 05:34 PM
I don't really keep up with it much so I don't know who told him to retire. I just heard him say he was definitely retiring when they interviewed him right after the fight.

Yeah I knew what you meant. I was just trying to clarify my statement. The actual boxer can decide to retire whenever the hell he wants, it is his choice.

No third person should say any athlete should retire, though, unless he can't get it done anymore.

Skeeter
12-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Tommy Morrison wasn't a real boxer

The great white hope was the last real white boxer.

Crazy Bard
12-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Braddock = White

Hulkein
12-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Balboa.