PDA

View Full Version : Why GM Scribes is the Man: River's Rest Krakiipedia Madness!

Fallen
12-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Krakiipedia Challenge!

In hopes of prying information out of folks, I've decided to run a contest...yay!

The Krakiipedia Challenge will involve the website, www.Krakiipedia.org. Its probably the best source of information for Gemstone on the web. One of the great aspects of Krakiipedia is that its a great place to preserve player knowledge of history. What do I mean by that? I define player knowledge of history as knowledge of events and storylines that have occurred, but for any number of reasons, is not preserved physically in game or in any of the online documents on the website.

For example, what is the name of the town rabbit? How did he lose his ear? You won't find that in our documents, as its something only players with a long history of the town will probably know. When those folks move on, well then, the information would have been lost...except, thankfully, its on Krakiipedia!

All right, so I've hyped the website enough, what's the contest?

The contest will concern the posting and updating of information concerning the history of River's Rest, particularly, recent events and storylines, like Casler and Plakk the troll, on Krakiipedia. It is not restricted to just those topics, just to River's Rest in general.

Points will be given for contributions. Those with the most points will be eligible for alterations!

First Place - (most points) - Three Services - choose from Alteration/Feature/Lightening
Second Place - (2nd most) - Two Services - choose from Alteration/Feature/Lightening
Third Place - (3rd most) - One service - Choose from Alteration/Feature/Lightening

Services must be redeemed all in one sitting, at a time most convenient for myself and the winner!

The awarding of points will be based on a subjective (mine) scoring system:

1 point - For small paragraph (at least 3 lines!).

2 points - For two to five paragraphs (each at least 3 lines).

3 points - For creating virtually an entire multi-paragraph article.

*Note: For additions that can't be easily defined as a paragraph, I'll make my own judgment call on point quality (i.e. capture of character's appearance, or the saving of a post from the forums).

How will I know who did what?

1) You need to sign up to be an editor for Krakiipedia here : http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Krakiipedia:Becoming_an_editor if you haven't already. The process takes approximately 24 to 48 hrs.

2) When you sign up at Krakiipedia, which is run by GameMaster Naos, your account name will be the same as it is on the forums (this is to ensure that Krakiipedia remains the domain of players only - security concerns are addressed on above link). There are no anonymous edits on Krakiipedia!

Wait, the people who already have accounts will have a head start!

To make this contest as fair as possible, it will begin on Monday, Dec. 10th, giving those interested from tonight through to Monday the chance to get an account. :)

This wiki stuff sounds hard...

It really isn't. I do recommend looking at existing pages and their format (simple) to understand how to edit on Krakiipedia. In some cases, there's a format (this info here/that info there), but once again, can be learned simply by looking at pre-existing articles.

I will create a page on Wikipedia where I'll take questions for those involved.

What if someone comes in and changes what I did?!

I'll always be looking at the history of articles to see who did exactly what. Changes to existing content (or content put up by those in the contest) will be judged to see if they were beneficial or harmful. Beneficial edits will need to be rather encompassing for me consider them for points, so consider small corrections to be outside the realm of pointage.

Likewise, I can use the history section to see if anyone did any work prior to Monday. That work will not be considered part of the contest and not up for any points.

How long will it run?

The contest will run through the rest of this month (December), I will post on the to be created discussion page of mine on Krakiipedia, a running tally of who's in the lead, etc, and update it once a week until the end of the month. If there's a tie at the end of the contest for first, second, and third, I'll decide then on a tie-breaker, or if one is needed or not. :)

Otherwise, please feel free to ask any questions here about the contest, and on the soon to be created page (I'll post it here) on Krakiipedia.

GM Scribes

Fallen
12-06-2007, 07:40 PM
I have to say Scribes is proving to be the most active, impressive non-dev GM of the game.

thefarmer
12-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Someone better write about lemmings or I'd be mad.

Danical
12-06-2007, 07:55 PM
I expect something on The Boot.

thefarmer
12-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Lemmings would cover the boot.

The Ponzzz
12-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Too bad the KP is full of plagiarized work, or I'd actually use the thing.

Danical
12-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Stuff on there isn't even accurate at times.

And yeah, they don't properly cite or attribute the articles.

The Ponzzz
12-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Stuff on there isn't even accurate at times.

And yeah, they don't properly cite or attribute the articles.

Word.

Fallen
12-06-2007, 08:34 PM
It is actively frowned upon to claim anything as your own work outside of a guide. I took flak for the room compilation thing I did.

Nilandia
12-06-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm undecided. I have the same misgivings as was posted before, and I am also very leery of contributing to a site named for a single person, even if it was a joke. It's far too easy for people to assume that he's done everything, when that's not even close to being the case.

We'll see how things go.

Gretchen

ThatDamnTep
12-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Unfortunately, "actively frowned upon" hasn't been good enough in the past for me. It's a problem I have with most wiki sites. If someone claimed my research at any number of past jobs or in academia, they'd straight up be fired, expelled, or taking a physical beating.

Scribes is pretty damn sweet though.

Danical
12-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Unfortunately, "actively frowned upon" hasn't been good enough in the past for me. It's a problem I have with most wiki sites. If someone claimed my research at any number of past jobs or in academia, they'd straight up be fired, expelled, or taking a physical beating.

Scribes is pretty damn sweet though.

Absolutely.

As an Institutional Research Analyst, if someone took credit for my work I'd make sure they were fired within a week.

mgoddess
12-06-2007, 09:00 PM
2) When you sign up at Krakiipedia, which is run by GameMaster Naos, your account name will be the same as it is on the forums (this is to ensure that Krakiipedia remains the domain of players only - security concerns are addressed on above link). There are no anonymous edits on Krakiipedia!

Have I been wrong all this time in thinking that Krakiipedia is not run by Krakii, or is GM Naos and Krakii played by the same person?

So freaking confused now.

(On-topic: Scribes has been kicking major ass as of late. I hope he can keep it up.)

The Ponzzz
12-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Anything I come up with, in terms of data for GS, I don't CLAIM to be mine. But I'd like to be cited. Take Tep's thrown guide that most all thrown users live by. It's Tep's, when Turinrond (Bill) took it on his site, he gave credit. When I put it on GSGuide.net, Tep still takes all credit.

It discourages people who do research to post it publically.

Latrinsorm
12-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Encyclopedias aren't meant for personal credit though. They're supposed to be written from the disembodied impartial "area" (I guess). If there was a published(ish) Gemstone Journal or something then it would make more sense to be intense with citations (but I'm not sure the Internet could handle that level of nerdiness).

Fallen
12-06-2007, 09:14 PM
If you post a guide, you are fully allowed to claim it as your own. If you want something to be cited as your research, file it as a guide. If you just want to provide your work, or any important information to be saved, you can make a blurb about it being yours in the discussion section of the page.

Fallen
12-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Here is a blurb of me getting owned for vanity via a senior editor. This is on topic to the conversation.
----

As was stated, a work very much in progress. Bare with me, I will be using the "Minor edit" feature as much as is possible. - Me

Make the title mostly lower case except where proper nouns are involved. The proper title of this article would be Popular resting locations of Elanthia, though, I'd probably aim for making it a List of popular resting locations, since, considering that this is a GemStone Wiki, the location can be assumed as being in Elanthia and since it is a list, it would be properly labeled as a list. As such, apply the Lists category (Category:Lists). Lastly, avoid all caps in the headers. - Andy talk 17:12, 8 November 2007 (EST)
One more thing to add: you do NOT need to put your name in the article. The update history of the article has your name. Any more than that is redundant. You probably do not need to put your email address up for 'future update suggestions' as anyone can update this article if they've an account, or if they want to give suggestions, they'd do so here, like I am. That is all. - Andy talk 23:24, 9 November 2007 (EST)
Thanks for the information, and for the minor corrects. I like having my name on the article as I may one day change my handle away from Sardinus, yet still want people to know who to contact should they have suggestions for the site. Not everyone that views the krakiipedia is an editor. - Me

Regardless of this, you're not the only editor, and it is somewhat unprofessional to tag articles like you have. Now, if you wanted to make a guide, like you did with the spell collecting guide of yours, it would be handled differently. Guides are pretty much the property of those who wrote them, and any formatting would be up to the desires of the author. Normal articles, like the format this one is in (it doesn't have the 'guide' category or have 'guide' in the title) are handled as professionally as possible; that is, it is supposed to be written like an encyclopedia. If you do want to keep information like that available but keep the article a normal article and not a guide, it is best to put it at the top of the discussion page, which happens to be this page. I would probably prefer you use that method over a guide, as guides don't tend to get updated if the original author leaves GS. - Andy talk 17:36, 17 November 2007 (EST)
Fair enough. My only qualm with this is 1. Not everyone knows the Wiki engine like you do, and 2. Even if they do, they may not be editors. Not everyone will know TO look at the discussions page. Hell, I stumbled across this site when doing the scroll collecting guide someone else posted from one of my posts on the boards, and just went to work. I had no idea what I was doing, and learned as I went. I didn't even NOTICE the discussion section until after I had put hours and hours into updating. That being said, yes, I suppose it is pride that makes me want people to know I put the effort into gathering this data, and for that I apologize. Still, I think leaving the information up there increases the odds that Joe Everyman will notice that I am missing a room, and send me the info to update it. Versus Joe Everyman 1. Becoming an editor and fixing the page itself, or 2. Go to the discussion's link on the top of the page and see where my contact information is found. Hell, even if I get an OOC whisper in game saying, "Hey, ya dummie, you forgot soandso room on your guide. Fix it!", I would consider that worthwhile. If it is truly a point of contention, and goes against the spirit of this webpage as a whole, I will change it, though. - Me

Fallen
12-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Note that this conversation took place some time ago. Well before the announced competition by Scribes.

Nilandia
12-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Have I been wrong all this time in thinking that Krakiipedia is not run by Krakii, or is GM Naos and Krakii played by the same person?

(On-topic: Scribes has been kicking major ass as of late. I hope he can keep it up.)
The Krakiipedia was only named after Krakii as a joke. It's run, in tandem, by GMs Naos and Ildran. Krakii hasn't contributed to the Krakiipedia in over a year.

Gretchen

Edited to add: Krakii is also not Naos or Ildran.

mgoddess
12-06-2007, 09:24 PM

The Krakiipedia was only named after Krakii as a joke. It's run, in tandem, by GMs Naos and Ildran. Krakii hasn't contributed to the Krakiipedia in over a year.

Gretchen

Edited to add: Krakii is also not Naos or Ildran.

Thanks for the clarification Nilandia.

Fallen
12-06-2007, 09:33 PM
As for copywrite information, this warning is shown with each and every addition to the site. If you see something you KNOW to be wrong, you should join up and correct it.

Please note that all contributions to Krakiipedia may be edited, altered, or removed by other contributors. If you don't want your writing to be edited mercilessly, then don't submit it here.
You are also promising us that you wrote this yourself, or copied it from a public domain or similar free resource (see Project:Copyrights for details). DO NOT SUBMIT COPYRIGHTED WORK WITHOUT PERMISSION!

Drew
12-07-2007, 12:31 AM
You were being wiki-noobish there Fallen, I was watching as it happened. I think KP is pretty great since there's basically no better alternative.

Fallen
12-07-2007, 12:39 AM
I freely admit it. I came across work of mine posted by someone else and I simply worked to improve it. I had no concept of the wiki design or the mindset behind it. I just liked putting stuff I came up with up on the site. How else do we learn but to try?

Axhinde
12-07-2007, 12:59 AM
Whatever happened to GS4.org? I noticed it was down.

Drew
12-07-2007, 01:28 AM
I freely admit it. I came across work of mine posted by someone else and I simply worked to improve it. I had no concept of the wiki design or the mindset behind it. I just liked putting stuff I came up with up on the site. How else do we learn but to try?

Yeah I wasn't knocking you, I'm glad you're contributing. Only thing I can say is please sign (~~~~) your posts in the discussion threads.

Drew
12-07-2007, 01:29 AM
Whatever happened to GS4.org? I noticed it was down.

It's been down for a long time.

Donquix
12-07-2007, 01:57 AM
for all it's problems, it's still one of the best sources of information for gemstone, and in one of the best formats possible for the medium.

and lets be honest here....it's a game. Should information be cited? yeah....but it's just some reference material for a game. it's not like someones taking your english thesis off to a publisher.

Drew
12-07-2007, 02:11 AM
Lots of stuff you can't cite anyway. Who releases a scholarly paper for research they do in gem? If the play.net forums were permanant at least you could link to the post but those disappear after six months. Most of this stuff is just knowledge and lore and KP gives a place for it to gather and be refined.

Donquix
12-07-2007, 02:18 AM
people should be given credit when they put in work. Like if someone researched say, the properties of an item in depth.

or if say, someone put up nilandia's shop listing that should DEFINITELY be cited (i'd just link to her site, personally)

but other stuff...i mean, i've been doing the updates for messaging on 220 deity specifics. I didn't cite who gave what description. (WTB Kai messaging, pst)

The Ponzzz
12-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Let's be honest, how fucking hard is it to email someone through their play.net address and being like, "HEY KAN I PUT UR INFO ON KP PLZ?!" I have an epeen to maintain here people...

Donquix
12-07-2007, 02:28 AM
about as hard as it is to sign up for krakiipedia and add "Research compiled by THEPONZZZ" on applicable articles? :-P

honestly though, so much research gets passed around person to person that people have no idea who did it, nature of the beast.

The Ponzzz
12-07-2007, 02:50 AM
Oh, I've gone on there and deleted a shit load of my stuff that others stole.

Drew
12-07-2007, 03:04 AM
Oh, I've gone on there and deleted a shit load of my stuff that others stole.

Like what?

The Ponzzz
12-07-2007, 03:07 AM
EVERYTHING!

Oh, just a few posts of mine were there, and some thrown stuff. Was it. Not much really.

Drew
12-07-2007, 03:21 AM
I ask because even if you do the research, you don't own the knowledge. I don't know what you pulled, but if it was a formula you discovered, or anything like that, you shouldn't have pulled it.

The Ponzzz
12-07-2007, 03:25 AM
Nope, was just some info I had on thrown. I asked the person who put there to just ask, and he never responded. So I said fuck it. Adam put the Thrown AS formula up there, but it was wrong, so I gave him the correct one. I don't MIND anything I do up there. I just want to be asked. Takes just a moment to ask. Just like it takes me just a moment to delete when you don't.

Fallen
12-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Let's be honest, how fucking hard is it to email someone through their play.net address and being like, "HEY KAN I PUT UR INFO ON KP PLZ?!" I have an epeen to maintain here people...

I've certainly done this on multiple occasions. The updates I have for my scroll infusion guide I've cleared with Kardios/Hadiar before attempting, etc.

Nilandia
12-07-2007, 11:54 AM
I don't MIND anything I do up there. I just want to be asked. Takes just a moment to ask. Just like it takes me just a moment to delete when you don't.
That about sums up my thoughts on it. If there's something I've published that you want to put up there, just ask. The exception would be linking to my own site on an applicable page, which you can do as much as you like.

Gretchen

Skeeter
12-07-2007, 12:06 PM
People getting all butt hurt over their fake data not being sited for a game really makes me giggle.

You would think wasting that much of your life would be something that normal people would want to hide, not advertise.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
12-07-2007, 12:08 PM
People getting all butt hurt over their fake data not being sited for a game really makes me giggle.

Ditto.

The Ponzzz
12-07-2007, 12:25 PM
I'LL MAKE YOU BUTT HURT.

YEAH.