PDA

View Full Version : I'm smashed

Sthrockmorton
12-01-2007, 02:52 AM
Wow, I just got a cab back to my hotel in San Fran after interviewing for a merchant analyst position all day, and I'd just like to say I'm smashed.........

Anyways, I'm doing tons of interviewing lately and I'm mostly concerned with finding a company with lots of growth opportunities over a 5 year course, and I'm curious to know what people feel and have to say about locations.

I'm from Colorado, graduating from Indiana University with a few business degrees in 2 weeks, and I want to escape the midwest, what regions do people enjoy, and why?

Axhinde
12-01-2007, 02:55 AM
And here I thought I was going to read the ramblings of a totally drunk individual. I am dissapointed.

Sthrockmorton
12-01-2007, 03:03 AM
Haha, I'm totally drunk. Afraid I don't ramble much though :)

Sorry to disappoint, when I made the thread, I think rambling was my intent.

PS

Off to sleep to make sure I make my flight in 5 hours

thefarmer
12-01-2007, 03:19 AM
You're a boring drunk... Booo

Drew2
12-01-2007, 06:53 AM
Yeah, definitely a boring drunk.

Soulpieced
12-01-2007, 07:59 AM
DC area would be good for straight out of college business grads.

radamanthys
12-01-2007, 08:18 AM
That's where I'm probably headed- see if I can throw in with Accenture. I've heard good things.

Martaigne
12-01-2007, 09:25 AM
I worked for Accenture, in their technology division. Good company, but be forewarned... you're just a number in a company of that size.

Xaerve
12-01-2007, 10:36 AM
That's where I'm probably headed- see if I can throw in with Accenture. I've heard good things.

You'll want to sodomize yourself with a 2x4 after 6 months.

I'd strongly suggest looking at smaller firms, consulting, etc. Boston has a great selection.

radamanthys
12-01-2007, 10:50 AM
What's wrong with them? They just treat you like a warm body?

Latrinsorm
12-01-2007, 11:10 AM
New England is WICKED PISSAH!!!!!!!

Daniel
12-01-2007, 06:11 PM
Go into public service. The money is great and if you're anything like me you'll celebrate by staying out at the club until 3am when you have to be at work before 7.

drigore
12-01-2007, 06:31 PM
New England is WICKED PISSAH!!!!!!!

Hahaha, being from RI I found that hilarious.

Danical
12-01-2007, 07:04 PM
I've heard Accenture is bullshit from two of my friends that worked for them.

Sthrockmorton
12-01-2007, 07:05 PM
I almost interviewed with accenture last month.

Martaigne
12-01-2007, 07:06 PM
I was hired by Accenture as a Senior Programmer and got put in QA testing. So yeah, being a warm body is pretty accurate.

Danical
12-01-2007, 07:15 PM
I interviewed with both Accenture and Deloitte for Human Capital positions mostly for the interview experience.

I knew I didn't want to work for either company.

Anebriated
12-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Boston and DC seem to be the two best areas for recent grads. Im aiming to head up to the Boston area once I finish up my degree.

Daniel
12-01-2007, 07:35 PM
What Degree?

Sthrockmorton
12-01-2007, 07:52 PM
I was hired by Accenture as a Senior Programmer and got put in QA testing. So yeah, being a warm body is pretty accurate.

I should be getting an offer from EcoLab for a QA data analysis position this week. Based out of Chicago, not a bad place to go.

I'm a double major, both in business. One in Marketing and one in Operations/Supply Chain management

Danical
12-01-2007, 07:55 PM
I was a double major in Philosophy and Applied Social Psychology.

I had a fucking bitch of a time competing for jobs. :(

Took me over a year to finally find one I liked.

Numbers
12-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Find a small to medium-sized company where you can really make an impact, and everyone knows who you are. If it's a growing company, you'll only rise in importance and salary as it grows. Then, when you're ready to move on in a few years, you'll have some really good references.

The problem with starting out in a big company, as has already been said, you're just a number, and you're only known by your immediate peers and your boss. It's very hard to get noticed, and even if you do something to get you noticed, there's some much backstabbing and infighting in big companies that someone else will take the credit (probably your boss).

Boston, DC, San Fran, and Seattle are booming pretty rapidly for recent grads. NYC is always a good bet, but the cost of living is obviously huge, and the salary difference isn't usually enough to cover that gap.

Daniel
12-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Heh. Cost of living in DC and San Fran is just as bad as NYC (no numbers to back that up, but from my experiences). The cool thing about seattle is that it's close to Canada and you definitely have the option to live outside of the city for cheaper without having driving yourself batshit crazy.

radamanthys
12-01-2007, 09:45 PM
I've been consulting on my own and in the public sector for about... oh... 7 or 8 years now. I love it there. I have a feeling that Corporate life is really not my bag.

Yea, half of the kids I graduated high school with are headed to either DC or Boston. One of my good buddies is at Accenture now, and he's enjoying it, so far. He really just started, though, so we'll see. I don't really have a high tolerance for bullshit- things get real old, real fast for me. Meh, we'll see.

Luckily, I'm an MIS major. With 8 years consulting experience, and some really tight references, I'll be doing pretty well coming out of the gate. Well, as long as they don't look at my GPA, that is, heh.

Axhinde
12-02-2007, 04:43 AM
rofl @ Ecolab

Anebriated
12-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Seattle is a really cool city. Probably one of the cleanest major cities in the country. Flew there on the way to the San Juan Islands off the coast up there(also a really cool area) and it was a refreshing view of a city after being in Philly for so long.