PDA

View Full Version : A story from the north

Xcalibur
12-07-2003, 12:33 PM
2 days ago, we bought a christmas tree and put on the top of the car and hurried back home.

So arrived at home, I do what the guy (expert) told me to do to the tree to have a good healty christmas tree

I shuffle my 7 foot tall christmas tree, cut some part of the base of its trunk, et cetera.

Living on the third floor, I had to bring the tree and all the gifts we bought at home.

Bring the tree up, place it, let the door open, go outside, take gifts, repeat 7 times.

Exhausted, I close the door.

Time pass, we wrap the gifts with some good looking christmas paper, put balls and those christmas stuff, wowow it's really near!

That was in the morning. The next day, my son and I were in the kitchen preparing breakfast. He then says (will translate so you'll understand) "Cat.. cereal" (he calls the cat's food cereal).

I notice there is still some in it. Well, THE damn cat (castrated and without any claws left) left when I was doing my trip to bring the stuff in our home.

Since it's like -20, we officialy considered him dead (and my son shed some tears).

Well, we'll have to buy him an other "gift"!

p.s. cats are stupid

Kurili
12-07-2003, 12:37 PM
I wouldnt give up hope of finding the cat just yet, X. Go outside and look and call. Check places that a cat might go to keep warm too-garages, under bushes.

Good luck finding him.

And your baby is adorable!!

Acolyte Kurili

[Edited on 12-7-2003 by Kurili]

Weedmage Princess
12-07-2003, 12:41 PM
First..your son is a little doll..very cute :)

Secondly, I agree with Kurili, don't give up on the kitty yet. Cats are truly survivors...unless he/she was old and sick, my advice is put a little dry cat food outside...(not near the street or a driveway though..heh) and see what happens. I'd wait like a week. If your cat doesn't return by then...then yeah...something probably happened.

Hope your cat returns!

Xcalibur
12-07-2003, 12:45 PM
it's -30F... and there's that HUGE park just near here, even got a lake in it.

I think i'll get a dog, a boxer... really really better.

(Am I saying I'm happy my allergies are finaly over?:lol: )

Wezas
12-07-2003, 12:49 PM
Cats will try to find someplace warm. Especially a warm engine.

<remembers working at the gas station and seeing kitty pieces under the hood one winter day>

Weedmage Princess
12-07-2003, 12:55 PM
:::groans::: Wezas!!

Wezas
12-07-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Weedmage Princess
:::groans::: Wezas!!

Come on, you're telling me in all your years you never heard of that happening? Cars have been around most of your life.

HarmNone
12-07-2003, 02:21 PM
I am so sorry about your cat, Xcalibur. Do give it some time. Cats are very able to take care of themselves, even in the cold. The cat may return if you put some food out for it.

As for getting a boxer (if the cat does not return), you may find that a big dog like that does not do very well in a third floor apartment. They really need room to run. What you will end up doing is taking the dog out all the time, and that gets tiring after awhile. ;)

HarmNone hopes you find your little fellow's cat

GSLeloo
12-07-2003, 02:24 PM
get a golden retriever! We could be dog twins! I always had cats growing up but now that we no longer have one.. not really sure I want another. They throw up, the litter box smells... it's just a bit too much.

Xcalibur
12-07-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by HarmNone
I am so sorry about your cat, Xcalibur. Do give it some time. Cats are very able to take care of themselves, even in the cold. The cat may return if you put some food out for it.

As for getting a boxer (if the cat does not return), you may find that a big dog like that does not do very well in a third floor apartment. They really need room to run. What you will end up doing is taking the dog out all the time, and that gets tiring after awhile. ;)

HarmNone hopes you find your little fellow's cat

Yeah, I thought about that, but there's really BIG parks here (around what, 10 kiometers square park)

I am disapointed in that cat, serisouly, he is rather spoiled, good food, some milk, A LOT of attention from my boy..

And that stupid cat just run away, EVEN if he is castrated and without claws.

Look at my son's picture, imagine him 22 months older and crying, damn cat! (exagerating a bit, of course)

Xcalibur
12-07-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by GSLeloo
get a golden retriever! We could be dog twins! I always had cats growing up but now that we no longer have one.. not really sure I want another. They throw up, the litter box smells... it's just a bit too much.

hmmm, I was thinking more of that dog in the first place... but.. hmm, heard they lose their hair (fur?) a lot but they are a charm with children...

hmmm decision decision

Artha
12-07-2003, 02:51 PM
Yeah, dogs shed alot in the summer. I try to bathe mine once every few years. They don't stink too bad.

GSLeloo
12-07-2003, 02:52 PM
She is the best dog. Yeah she loses fur but she's cuddly and loves every one of us, she's a clown and sweet. Just get males cause they calm down faster.

Wezas
12-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Xcalibur

Originally posted by GSLeloo

Those look like Bernese Mountain Dogs, close relative to my Newfoundland. Great dogs, especially if you're looking for one of the kindest breeds.

hmmm, I was thinking more of that dog in the first place... but.. hmm, heard they lose their hair (fur?) a lot but they are a charm with children...

hmmm decision decision

CrystalTears
12-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Aw, sorry about the kitty. I don't know what I would do if our baby walked out in this horrid weather. The poor thing. But they are rather resilient and look for a warm spot, and yes under cars is one of those areas. Around here we tend to look under our car before driving off in case one of the many strays appeared. So don't despair.

Around here we call the cat food her meat cereal. :D

[Edited on 12/7/2003 by CrystalTears]

Xcalibur
12-07-2003, 05:13 PM
Been 2 days now, 2 full night, I searched with a flash light, a laser light (you know, those little kind of tube that do a kind of red dangerous light, cats adore em) and i searched everywhere.

2 full days, domestic cat, never been outside.

R.I.P.
Menon
2003-2003

Kurili
12-07-2003, 05:41 PM
Bernese Mountain Dogs (in pic) ARE nice dogs! Very good temperament, and a bit smaller than the Newf. Considerably smaller than the Saint, which they also resemble. And a lot fewer health problems than Saints, due to the smaller size. They do shed, but then all dogs do. Some, like Poodles, shed little, and what is shed is held by the live hair.

But a Bernese would be a good choice for children. Not so sure it'd be a good choice in a walk-up apartment though.

Acolyte Kurili, still missing dogs

12-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Wezas
Cats will try to find someplace warm. Especially a warm engine.

<remembers working at the gas station and seeing kitty pieces under the hood one winter day>

thats how I got my first cat!
::sniffs:: I miss ragidy

Drew2
12-07-2003, 05:45 PM
Raggedy.

Xcalibur
12-11-2003, 10:48 AM
Damn! this morning while doing stuff I hear faint "miaou... miaou"...

Open the kitchen door, it's MENON!

1 week being outside, clean and big as he was before... strange

Wezas
12-11-2003, 10:55 AM

He probably found a better home and is just coming back to say "goodbye"

Ben
12-11-2003, 10:55 AM
Boxers are great dogs for children, very protective and loyal.

HarmNone
12-11-2003, 01:53 PM

Cats are known for being highly resourceful. Glad yours got home none the worse for wear! :)

HarmNone

Xcalibur
12-11-2003, 01:59 PM
Been sleeping for like 10 hours now, and he ate 2 full bowl of food.

Had to «tie» my son so he wouldn't jump on him in extacy...

I'm really surprised still.

Drew2
12-11-2003, 02:01 PM
He probably survived by eating all the FROGS.

Xcalibur
12-11-2003, 02:02 PM
There's no frogs here. Too cold. We have no dangerous spiders, no snakes, NO scorpions at all, et cetera.

I think he got some birds, there's a lot in the vicinity

Ben
12-11-2003, 02:40 PM
He meant frogs like french people.

HarmNone
12-11-2003, 02:42 PM
Of course frogs like French people. Frogs like everybody. Remember Kermit?:D

HarmNone slinks back into hiding

Xcalibur
12-11-2003, 02:56 PM
Yeah I know..

For some reason, the French have been given the nickname Frogs...There are many different theories about how this came to be...

The story I had always heard was that the nickname dates waaay back to sometime around the 18th century, when Paris was surrounded by many swamps...The French nobility that would visit Versailles apparently tended to refer to Parisians as frogs because of the swampy surroundings...and only later did the term get picked up to describe the French in general.

Another story I've heard was that American soldiers adopted the nickname for the French during the World War II because they ate frog legs and hid well when camouflaged.

I've also heard that a frog used to be on the French Flag, before the Fleurs de Lis was adopted when King Clovis took the throne....

So.. if here isn't France and you have the «right» to call us Frogs, that means we can call you «bad teeth» since you speak english and you were part of England before

Damn logic huh?

Menon keeps on sleeping

[Edited on 11-12-03 by Xcalibur]

longshot
12-12-2003, 12:30 PM
I'm glad your cat is alive.

There.

I said something nice to the frog.

Remember: Berlitz is your friend.

Wezas
12-12-2003, 12:32 PM

Check it out, even the cat cat speaks French