PDA

View Full Version : Going hurling

Lysander
11-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Gonna mess around a bit with hurling. Got a couple of questions.

* Hurling aiming from the OPEN is based on perception and has nothing to do with ambush skill?

* Whats with all the negative talk with hurling? I don't have one of those insta returners, but warrior bonding seems just as viable. I hurl it returns in 5 seconds? If something wierd happens I have a spare hurler in my backpack? Whats wrong hurling?

Gordd
11-12-2007, 12:23 AM
Yeah, open hurled aiming is based solely off perception. I'd recommend at least 1.5x to be mostly effective.

Negatives to hurling are numerous. Lack of DS once a weapon is hurled, encumbrance issues, etc. Sure, you can use your bonded weapon as a returner, but it won't be as effective as a returner, bandolier, or throw away weapon. Why? Because bonded weapons don't return to dead hands. I lost my bonded weapon three times hurling it in forest ogres due to lack of weapon DS and a well timed attack on the part of an ogre. It was recovered each time, but that was more then enough for me to know I'll not be trying that one again.

Hurling as the ONLY weapon style is going to be completely ineffective in the later levels for all the reasons above.

That said, hurling is fun, it's great, I'd never give it up unless they nerf my big weapon hurling (which I entirely expect at some point). Just make sure you have a backup weapon style as well...preferably one in the same class of weapon you intend to hurl.

Lysander
11-12-2007, 12:37 AM
Yeah, open hurled aiming is based solely off perception. I'd recommend at least 1.5x to be mostly effective.

Negatives to hurling are numerous. Lack of DS once a weapon is hurled, encumbrance issues, etc. Sure, you can use your bonded weapon as a returner, but it won't be as effective as a returner, bandolier, or throw away weapon. Why? Because bonded weapons don't return to dead hands. I lost my bonded weapon three times hurling it in forest ogres due to lack of weapon DS and a well timed attack on the part of an ogre. It was recovered each time, but that was more then enough for me to know I'll not be trying that one again.

Hurling as the ONLY weapon style is going to be completely ineffective in the later levels for all the reasons above.

That said, hurling is fun, it's great, I'd never give it up unless they nerf my big weapon hurling (which I entirely expect at some point). Just make sure you have a backup weapon style as well...preferably one in the same class of weapon you intend to hurl.

I'm also doing brawling. So, once I'm empty handed I still retain my DS, and surprisingly my ability to parry which is wierd parrying with your empty hand. I use two sorta throw away weapons 1 6x handaxe and another 4x hcw spear. My big question is what are the mechanical benefits to throwing? Is it just the ability to cut through parry DS? If so, how big is the DS drop? 10, 20,50? This is the big determining factor between going hurling and just staying where I'am.

The Ponzzz
11-12-2007, 06:53 AM
My big question is what are the mechanical benefits to throwing? Is it just the ability to cut through parry DS? If so, how big is the DS drop? 10, 20,50? This is the big determining factor between going hurling and just staying where I'am.

The ability to skip the height system. Extremely tall creatures such as yeti, Illoke or flying creatures like griffins can now be hit in the head or out of the air.

Parry DS is cut through as well, to a certain degree. I swear some creatures maintain it. So they will generally have a lower ranged(thrown) DS against you.

A few other negative things that G-o-r-d-d didn't say is there isn't a crit modifier for thrown weapons when sniping like arrows. Nor when aiming. So ambushing will always give better crit results. TWC combat is exremely buggy with RT. It doesn't seem to follow any reason. Due to that I dropped TWC and picked up a shield. There are no thrown CMANs as of right now. There is no simulated (read: DS) after you throw a weapon like ranged. So, when you throw a weapon, you're basically sitting in melee distance from the creature instead of a good 30-50 feet away.

Even with all that said, I won't give up thrown weapons with my main characters. Ever.

thefarmer
11-12-2007, 07:42 AM
If I had the fancy thrown weapons that you two had I wouldn't either...

Lysander
11-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Anyone have any clips of the throwing net in action? Anyone know what kind of weapon they are, do they immobolize everytime?

Latrinsorm
11-12-2007, 11:31 AM
It's a throwing net base. You do more damage sneezing on the screen, but I'm sure the immobilization stuff is really nifty.

The Ponzzz
11-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Nets alone don't do anything. You would need the flares that were special to make them worth it. Ensnare crit table loses...

As for my thrown weapons... I have lots in Platinum. The only thing I've never owned that I always wanted to is a returner hammer.

Lysander
11-12-2007, 12:42 PM
R>hurl rol
With a quick flick of your wrist, you deftly send a vultite-laced throwing net into flight.
You throw a vultite-laced throwing net at a rolton!
AS: +83 vs DS: -45 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +85 = +238
... and hit for 9 points of damage!
The rolton's left leg jerks momentarily.
The throwing net ricochets away from a rolton, landing nearby.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

Most + ridiculous + weapon + ever... Why even have this? Shouldn't all nets come with immobilization flares and it should flare almost everytime. This isn't a weapon, not even a RP tool.

The Ponzzz
11-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Welcome to my world. I've offered countless ideas to make the ensnare/grapple table a bit more pleasing... Latrin disagrees with my ideas.

Latrinsorm
11-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Shouldn't all nets come with immobilization flares and it should flare almost everytime.When I suggested this after immob flares first came out, the official response was that they would be "less special" if everyone had them. Seriously.
Latrin disagrees with my ideas.As I'm sure I said at the time, the problem has never been the crit table. We're talking sub-.100 DFs versus SKIN here, you could have death crits at rank 2 and it would still be pretty pathetic.

Lysander
11-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Some final question(s).

Are most of the returner weapons non-hurl defined weapons? Meaning do you need to train in edged or blunt etc. to get the parry DS?

How big of a DS drop is it to not have parry especially in stance O? Say a capped warrior fully trained in her OHE weapon will lose 20 DS? more?

Gordd
11-12-2007, 11:51 PM
I don't know the exact numbers, but I know my DS drops from around 240's, to 160-180 range depending on encumbrance and injuries (which of course stack up that much quicker with no weapon). I do believe most of the returners in game right now are in fact non-hurling weapons since hurling base weapons suck mucho ass. So yes, you would need to train in that weapon base to get the parry DS.

Lysander
11-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Also unless I'm mistakened, bandoliers seem horrible. You throw a axe, and your stuck in RT without a weapon...sure you can rub your bandie to get a new axe, but why not just eblade a whole bunch of store bought handaxes?

The only nice thing about returners is that you get both DS and parry ability. Brawling doesn't give you outright parry ability, although you get the DS. Ah well...

Donquix
11-13-2007, 12:04 AM
encumbrance, for one.

and you don't have to worry about losing the weapons, so its more convenient. and if you get some of the better bandoliers, the weapons are higher than 4x.

Gordd
11-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Returners would be the "best" hurling weapon option in that the weapon technically never leaves your hand.

Bandoliers are nice because of encumbrance and weapon dissolving. So trying to chase down a lost weapon isn't an issue.

That said, it's certainly doable with e-bladed or imflass weapons. You'll need to carry at least 5 of them (again, encumbrance issues) and you'll have to deal with the "can't quite reach it" simulated distance when trying to retrieve recently hurled weapons.

Fallen
11-13-2007, 12:31 AM
I would rather have you try to get your weapon on the ground and get 5 seconds of RT of you running over to pick it up BUT you have the weapon in your hand. Would go a long ways towards fixing the common man's problem.

Lysander
11-13-2007, 08:24 PM
If you're bonded you would need only 2 weapons possibly 3 max. A high strength race a couple of weapons won't be too big a problem I usually carry around one weapon and a backup anyway.

A bonded weapon will return even if it gets into the environs?

Lysander
11-13-2007, 09:06 PM
One more quick question, does race affect Voln Fu. I heard taller races get an advantage to voln fu attacks, any merit to this?