PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of switching over.

Teavangelical
11-09-2007, 11:50 PM
My love-hate affair with Gemstone has finally run its course. I want something new.

I've been researching WoW and it looks fun. My only concern right now is my computer, which is a laptop over two years old. I've managed to run Second Life on it but it's pretty damn lagged. Would those of you who have played say the requirements for WoW are about the same?

If so I might have to wait until I get a new computer, which will be... god only knows when.

As far as servers, what's recommended? I'm thinking an RP server because while I wouldn't mind engaging in PvP, I'm not the type of person who'd want to have to worry about it constantly.

Horde looks fun, but I'm not set on anything yet. I don't think I know enough to make a set decision.

Skeeter
11-10-2007, 12:29 AM
w/o the specs of your lapper it's hard to say as I've never played second life. WoW sucks up the memory so that's a good place to start.

I still play on Argent Dawn server where all of the PC people started, I'm pretty much the only one left on there so I wouldn't reccomend it. Some of the other pc'ers are on Dunemaul which is pvp and great if you don't mind being repeatedly ass raped by 12 year olds as you try to level up.

You picked a great time to start w/ patch 2.3 dropping on Tuesday. The patch lowers the xp requirement for lvls 20-60 and increases the amount of xp you get from quests. Makes it easier to go single player mode until the higher levels with such a late start.

Teavangelical
11-10-2007, 12:42 AM
w/o the specs of your lapper it's hard to say as I've never played half life. WoW sucks up the memory so that's a good place to start.

I still play on Argent Dawn server where all of the PC people started, I'm pretty much the only one left on there so I wouldn't reccomend it. Some of the other pc'ers are on Dunemaul which is pvp and great if you don't mind being repeatedly ass raped by 12 year olds as you try to level up.

You picked a great time to start w/ patch 2.3 dropping on Tuesday. The patch lowers the xp requirement for lvls 20-60 and increases the amount of xp you get from quests. Makes it easier to go single player mode until the higher levels with such a late start.

I'm sort of against the ass-raping, but I suppose some of it is inevitable.

AMD Turion 64 Mobile, 1.5 ghz, 384-ish RAM on a good day. ATI Mobility Radeon Express 200 graphics card... god I hate integrated graphics.

We have another computer in this house that purrs when you run graphics-heavy games, but it's not mine. Sigh.

That patch sounds like good incentive to at least try playing on it and maybe try to avoid heavy combat. Walking around would be slow but not that bad.

Shari
11-10-2007, 12:43 AM
Heh. My laptop is almost seven years old and it runs pretty well on it. Now...I haven't done any 40+ person raids so that could be problematic, but for average quests and shit it works fine.

Teavangelical
11-10-2007, 12:50 AM
Heh. My laptop is almost seven years old and it runs pretty well on it. Now...I haven't done any 40+ person raids so that could be problematic, but for average quests and shit it works fine.

That's good news. It might just be Second Life that makes my computer want to hack and die. Still, there's just nothing like running a graphics-heavy program on a dual-core desktop... smooth sailing and good times, man.

I might as well try. Nothing to lose, eh?

Skeeter
11-10-2007, 01:17 AM
nope. It's a really fun game, especially when you're learning it.

Teavangelical
11-10-2007, 01:29 AM
nope. It's a really fun game, especially when you're learning it.

I remember Second Life was the most fun when it was new to me too. Eh, but that's always the way it is.

And hell, grinding won't be any big surprise. Now with pictures to look at as you do it!

Tsa`ah
11-10-2007, 02:02 AM
While you're out grinding, you're not going to have much of a problem unless the area is crowded.

Any major town is going to be lag city for you. 10 man raids and higher will be iffy the more people that are in the raid.

Your load times are going to suck ... so time them with breaks.

Sean of the Thread
11-10-2007, 02:08 AM
If you're getting ass raped on Dunemaul or anywhere else pvp then you deserve it.

Kainen
11-10-2007, 03:16 AM
Wow really is a lot of fun. I joined an Rp server and engage in plenty of PVP. But you dont HAVE to.. which is nice.

Skeeter
11-10-2007, 09:00 AM
If you're getting ass raped on Dunemaul or anywhere else pvp then you deserve it.

because a lvl 30 vs a lvl 70 is a fair match-up. I didn't mean to give the impression that it's continuous ass raping, but it will happen.

Hanksbane
11-10-2007, 09:18 AM
https://signup.worldofwarcraft.com/trial/10dayfreetrial.htm

Give it a whirl.

Just a warning though, as a trial account, you can't mail things or trade or level past 20, but you can get a good taste of the world. I'd try a few different classes and perhaps try out both sides (Alliance and Horde)

TheEschaton
11-10-2007, 01:35 PM
And now I'm downloading the whole 3gb game. Damn it.

Nieninque
11-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Some of the other pc'ers are on Dunemaul which is pvp and great if you don't mind being repeatedly ass raped by 12 year olds

It really doesn't happen like that.

Sean of the Thread
11-10-2007, 02:02 PM
He's a carebear his knowledge is limited.

Skeeter
11-10-2007, 02:51 PM
I have a char on dunemaul :(

Teavangelical
11-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Bought the game today. I'm installing it right now.

It told me up front my computer doesn't meet minimum RAM requirements, but right now I don't care.

Still not sure about server or even what faction to play...

Skeeter
11-10-2007, 07:28 PM
beautiful thing about Wow is you get 50 chars to spread through as many servers as you would like

Sean of the Thread
11-10-2007, 07:33 PM
That is sweet.

Teavangelical
11-10-2007, 08:01 PM
beautiful thing about Wow is you get 50 chars to spread through as many servers as you would like

Beautiful. So they aren't all limited to one realm?

That makes my choice easier. :)

Skeeter
11-10-2007, 08:23 PM
nope you can have a max of 10 chars on any one server

Teavangelical
11-10-2007, 08:44 PM
nope you can have a max of 10 chars on any one server

Still plenty good enough for me.

What I am curious about though, is how a certain area can be contested or belong to one side or another in reference to game-wide standings when everyone is on a different server. How does that work?

Sean of the Thread
11-10-2007, 09:12 PM
All the servers are clones of each other.

All the areas are identical.

Teavangelical
11-10-2007, 09:16 PM
All the servers are clones of each other.

All the areas are identical.

Well, I figured that, yeah. But PvP between characters on one server can't be the same as between other characters on another server.

I'm having a hard time explaining what I'm confused about... never mind. :/

*goes to be WoW n00by*

Sean of the Thread
11-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Oh I get it now. I think. Well you've confused me as well.

BUT maybe this is what you're talking about.

PVP server is free for all excepted in home areas. If you're horde in a home area (nub area) you'll have to initiate combat with the alliance or they can't touch you.

Carebear servers are for pussies so don't even bother learning about it.

Some Rogue
11-10-2007, 10:40 PM
FOR THE HORDE!

P.S. Fuck those alliance gaylords.

TheEschaton
11-10-2007, 11:02 PM
So, I now have a third level troll rogue, or something.

Teavangelical
11-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Oh I get it now. I think. Well you've confused me as well.

BUT maybe this is what you're talking about.

PVP server is free for all excepted in home areas. If you're horde in a home area (nub area) you'll have to initiate combat with the alliance or they can't touch you.

Carebear servers are for pussies so don't even bother learning about it.

Now that we're both confused, I'll drop the question. :)

Day One: I am impressed with myself. I hit up a RP server and began my career as a Tauren druid. GO HORDE!!

Insert much gawking as I try to figure out:

A) How the hell do I get my weapon off my back to fight!...Oh. Okay.
B) Many whelps like female Tauren! Many whelps must invite female Tauren to group/duel!
C) Um, how do I talk?
D) HOLYSHIT aggro'd by some growly beast
E) FOR GOD SAKE WHERE IS THE INN

In short, I am not in Gemstone anymore.

Also: Lag in WoW is not at all like lag in Second Life. So far everything renders and scrolls nicely whereas moving two feet in a non-populated area of SL takes three minutes. More data must be gathered when I move to populated area.

I'm going to play some more!! Bye!!!

Shifted
11-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Gah, now i wanna try WoW. I have to wait till tomorrow, though, cause all the stores are closed in this country on a sunday.

Sean of the Thread
11-11-2007, 08:46 AM
RP SERVER? GAG

They should rename it to "be begged to cybersex with men and 12 year olds and get reported or bitched at for being out of character in between cyber sessions server"

Do yourself a favor start on a pvp server from the get go.

Skeeter
11-11-2007, 09:33 AM
RP SERVER? GAG

They should rename it to "be begged to cybersex with men and 12 year olds and get reported or bitched at for being out of character in between cyber sessions server"

LOL you know it's not like that at all. I wish they would've had the pvp/rp servers opened when I started. at least the rp servers cut down on the stupid ass names.

TheEschaton
11-11-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm now level 6 on Dunemaul. Ha.

Sean of the Thread
11-11-2007, 11:44 AM
rofl noobies.

Takes like 15 minutes to get to level 10.

TheEschaton
11-11-2007, 12:07 PM
:(

You make me sad panda.

Asha
11-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Taken me over a yr to get my main to 38 :(
No time for grinding really.

Sean of the Thread
11-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Lvl 38 maybe 3-4 days.

Asha
11-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Shit in a bag and all that. Yeah.

Skeeter
11-11-2007, 12:46 PM
My first char took probably 4 or 5 months to get to cap. Take your time and enjoy it, some of the quest lines are really cool.

Nieninque
11-11-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm now level 6 on Dunemaul. Ha.

Name? Class? Faction?

TheEschaton
11-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Adhoc. I'm now a level 7 troll rogue, Horde, I suppose.

I keep dying to those stupid centaur things. Grrr.

-TheE-

Teavangelical
11-11-2007, 03:04 PM
RP SERVER? GAG

And the "be assraped for being level 1 LAWL ROFLCOPTER NOOB" servers are better? :rofl:

So far I've just ignored everyone who offered a group. It's worked so far.

Though I think I might start over as a male character just to throw people off the scent.

Yeah, I'm a chick. Playing a dude-dominated game. This should be fun. :D

Sean of the Thread
11-11-2007, 03:11 PM
And the "be assraped for being level 1 LAWL ROFLCOPTER NOOB" servers are better? :rofl:

And like I said you're not going to get assraped on a pvp server. Most will agree that it's the way to go.

I don't know the actual stats but I know PLENTY of women who play.

Whimsi
11-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Huh...everyone knows there are no women on the internet...

Sean of the Thread
11-11-2007, 03:20 PM
errr okay

Whimsi
11-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Guess I forgot the italics.

Skeeter
11-11-2007, 04:20 PM
don't just dismiss groups out of hand. It can make some of the quests go so much faster. Most people have the courtesy of the whisper before though.

Nieninque
11-11-2007, 05:03 PM
And like I said you're not going to get assraped on a pvp server. Most will agree that it's the way to go.

The fact is that if you are on a trial account and cant level past level 20, you are unlikely to encounter any PvP anyway, given the fact that contested areas (for Horde) kick in around level 20. Prior to that, you are in Horde owned territory anyway and wont be flagged for PvP. If you are not on a trial account, you still wont encounter any situation where you are likely to be in a PvP situation unless you choose to do so, for the same reasons as above (i.e. up to level 20 you are in your own faction controlled territory and therefore not flagged for PvP).

If you die in PvP, therefore, whilst in your own territory it means either:

a) You are hardcore (like me) and permanently flag yourself for PvP whatever your level and wherever you are.
or
b) You were stupid enough to attack an enemy player in your territory which flagged you for PvP and enabled you for 5 minutes of asswhopping.
or
c) You are an idiot and got lost.

Teavangelical
11-11-2007, 05:24 PM
don't just dismiss groups out of hand. It can make some of the quests go so much faster. Most people have the courtesy of the whisper before though.

No one has so far.

I'm just... being selective. And cautious. And confused.

Also: Just because plenty of women play doesn't mean it isn't dude-dominated. 'M just sayin'. ;)

Nieninque
11-11-2007, 05:37 PM
No one has so far.

I'm just... being selective. And cautious.

Some of the quests are easier for you if you are in a group. It might be worth accepting an invite from time to time and seeing what happens. Joining a group in WoW isnt like in GS where you automatically follow the leader. You dont have to do anything, even in a group.

And confused.

Yeah that happens.

Also: Just because plenty of women play doesn't mean it isn't dude-dominated. 'M just sayin'. ;)

I dont understand what you are saying, tbh. No-one knows what sex you are when you are playing wow unless you tell them. Then they wont believe you unless you send them pics. Dont listen to them. Your sex doesnt matter. Just enjoy the game.

Teavangelical
11-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Some of the quests are easier for you if you are in a group. It might be worth accepting an invite from time to time and seeing what happens. Joining a group in WoW isnt like in GS where you automatically follow the leader. You dont have to do anything, even in a group.

Yeah that happens.

I dont understand what you are saying, tbh. No-one knows what sex you are when you are playing wow unless you tell them. Then they wont believe you unless you send them pics. Dont listen to them. Your sex doesnt matter. Just enjoy the game.

Okay! I will. :D

For what it's worth, there's currently a "bring back so and so's head!" quest in my list waiting to be done that seems to be impossible to accomplish alone. So, yeah...working on the people skills.

Sean of the Thread
11-11-2007, 05:48 PM
MY BULGING VULVA ALWAYS GIVES AWAY MY WOW CHAR'S SEX!

Nieninque
11-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Adhoc. I'm now a level 7 troll rogue, Horde, I suppose.

I keep dying to those stupid centaur things. Grrr.

-TheE-

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/4483/sean2ob6.jpg

Sean of the Thread
11-11-2007, 06:13 PM
hahaha awesome.

Skeeter
11-11-2007, 06:14 PM
ROFL

Teavangelical
11-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Okay, so I compromised and started over on a (RP)PvP realm.

Is this also lame?

TheEschaton
11-11-2007, 09:43 PM
I'm about halfway to 10 now, based in Razor Hill. Some of these things are hard without groups, but people generally seem willing to accept help/give help in various quests.

-TheE-

Skeeter
11-11-2007, 11:49 PM

Is this also lame?

nah, have at it. I enjoy my carebear server even though I have never even considered RPing at any point in time ever.

Skeeter
11-11-2007, 11:51 PM
I did get my 2nd char to 70 last night. 6 months break really slowed me down.

Teavangelical
11-12-2007, 01:24 AM
Some of these things are hard without groups

No shit. I accepted a quest to kill X number each of three similar creatures. Well, all went well until I had to go off and kill the last set, located deep in this cave thing. The first time down there was this assraping glitch that let the monsters attack me but wouldn't let me attack back. Died to that. And then the cockmanglers killed me again when I came back to revive and try to Hearthstone back to the inn. NOPE! NOT YOURS.

Third time was the charm, but only by luck. Fuck that quest.

Other than that it's been pretty fun.

Nieninque
11-12-2007, 02:54 AM

Is this also lame?

No, RP/PvP is the same as PvP

Asha
11-12-2007, 05:34 AM
My rogue is PVP (Dunemaul) which I'm finding quite fun. Nothing like stealthing in STVale then watching 10 lvl 70 horde gallop inches past.
I started a druid on RP/PVP (Ravenholdt) and was just wondering if anyone knew how seriously the RP was enforced.
Or if it's no different, to be fair.

Nieninque
11-12-2007, 05:40 AM
RP isnt enforced, but there are stricter conventions on naming and suchlike.

The names on PvP servers make me want to stick sharp implements into my eyes.

Nieninque
11-12-2007, 05:44 AM
My rogue is PVP (Dunemaul) which I'm finding quite fun. Nothing like stealthing in STVale then watching 10 lvl 70 horde gallop inches past.
I started a druid on RP/PVP (Ravenholdt) and was just wondering if anyone knew how seriously the RP was enforced.
Or if it's no different, to be fair.

Who is your rogue?
And is that US or Euro servers?