PDA

View Full Version : Internet inpersonation

Solkern
11-09-2007, 05:45 PM
How serious of a crime is this, and what can I do?

This is what happened
I sold this guy a car part on ebay, sent it to him, with a sig required, he got the item, emails me, claims he never got it.

Demands his money back, I say, as soon as i get the part back, you can have the money back.

No answer
then today, I check my email
he sends me an email, He made a fake Facebook account of me, (showed me the link) claims he's going to Add everyone in my area, and all my friends
(the new facebook account has my pictures and so forth edited so i appear gay), so he can ruin my reputation, with the intent to cause harm. unless i give him his money back, What can i do?

Warriorbird
11-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Talk to a lawyer.

oldanforgotten
11-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Eh, if he said that to you in writing, that's pretty stupid of him.

On the other hand, if you don't have a receipt showing he signed for the part, or from a carrier confirming delivery, he can get the money back from you extremely easily.
________
Buy no2 vaporizer (http://no2vaporizer.net)

Soulpieced
11-09-2007, 06:05 PM
This is why I don't use eBay.

Kranar
11-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Making a phony Facebook account impersonating you is not illegal and not really a big deal anyways.

If he never got the part and wants his money back, then he can just file a complaint with eBay. eBay will investigate the matter and can issue him a refund (eBay's insured). If you did everything on your part to deliver the item, then you have nothing to worry about.

Solkern
11-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Yeah I have it in writing, of what he's already done and what he's going to do

Yes, I did send him the part, yes I have his sig, claiming he got said part...
So, is there eanything i can do?

The money isn't the issue, is the point of him impersonation me, trying to ruin my reputation in the town i live in.

Fallen
11-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Write to facebook's staff or whatever and tell them what is going on? Perhaps they will take the crap down, and at best ban him.

Solkern
11-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I've already sent the request to facebook.

what's to stop him from doing this again, and again?

Parkbandit
11-09-2007, 06:18 PM
You have his address...........

:shrug:

Solkern
11-09-2007, 06:19 PM
You have his address...........

:shrug:

he's in a different state, and I don't have the time to go down there, and beat his ass.

thefarmer
11-09-2007, 06:27 PM
he's in a different state, and I don't have the time to go down there, and beat his ass.

If he continues, I would make time.

Solkern
11-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Well, I decided to call the cops.

They said this is impersonsation, it's also slander, They took down his information and said they will contact him.
They looked over all the information i had, showed them the emails, the facebook account.

They said if he makes any more emails to me, to notify them again, and they will take it to the next step.

Celephais
11-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Arent' you moving to russia? Why are you worried about your rep in this town.

Solkern
11-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Cause I still live here?
:P

Sean of the Thread
11-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Let's see his crappy facebook account just for shits and giggles

Skeeter
11-09-2007, 11:32 PM
Man I couldn't even get the cops to show up when our office got robbed.

Tsa`ah
11-10-2007, 01:57 AM
Well, I decided to call the cops.

They said this is impersonsation, it's also slander, They took down his information and said they will contact him.
They looked over all the information i had, showed them the emails, the facebook account.

They said if he makes any more emails to me, to notify them again, and they will take it to the next step.

It's libel, not slander ... and it's a civil matter so I really don't see what the local PD can do other than try to make a case of identity theft.

There are really only three things you can do.

1. Six pack, pack of smokes, half tank of gas .... baseball bat/brick to face.
2. Keep all e-mails and contact each service as he puts up fake accounts. Print screen and save to disk each page of each fake account ... mail it to yourself and don't open it (USPS = average person's public notary).
3. Keeping #2 in mind, contact a lawyer and take his ass to court for libel and anything else your lawyer can think of.

Option one is really if you believe you can get away with it or if the prospect of dancing with Bubba doesn't make you blink.

Sean of the Thread
11-10-2007, 02:07 AM
It's libel, not slander ... and it's a civil matter so I really don't see what the local PD can do other than try to make a case of identity theft.

There are really only three things you can do.

1. Six pack, pack of smokes, half tank of gas .... baseball bat/brick to face.
2. Keep all e-mails and contact each service as he puts up fake accounts. Print screen and save to disk each page of each fake account ... mail it to yourself and don't open it (USPS = average person's public notary).
3. Keeping #2 in mind, contact a lawyer and take his ass to court for libel and anything else your lawyer can think of.

Option one is really if you believe you can get away with it or if the prospect of dancing with Bubba doesn't make you blink.

4. Hire Tamral

Alfster
11-10-2007, 02:07 AM
I'm throwing the bullshit flag on Solkern

Tsa`ah
11-10-2007, 02:25 AM
4. Hire Tamral

Score!

Nieninque
11-10-2007, 06:41 AM
4. Hire Tamral

I was so thinkng that when I was reading Tsa'ah's post.

ROFL.

The Ponzzz
11-10-2007, 07:21 AM
I just searched FaceBook. I was unsuccessful in finding your fake one... Granted, I don't know much about you...

Stanley Burrell
11-10-2007, 12:41 PM
I ... Want to say that I think? FaceBook? ...And the e-popo recently made a statement about a sort of unique third party quality control legal/criminal service. Something like that, I can't remember. But that they'll be able to pursue criminal behavior more betterly. Or something like that.

Everyone told me to get a MySpace and I'm like, "Nah yo, listen here my fellow internet savvy acquaintance; I'm busy being all FaceBook and using The Zombie Application to build trendy teenybopper e-armies."

And they were all like, "MySpace man."

Later that day, I was telling someone that I play a text-based game and they were all, "I just lost all my respect for you."

That FaceBook ninja/zombie/vampire application is the hot shit, though. Especially from my perspective; because I have no life outside of my AIM list, which already has three quarters of its screen names beginning with either "Lord" or "Lady."

In the words of Strong Bad describing Senor Cardgage, "I'm so cool, you don't even know I'm cool."

But yeah, you need to snitch to the e-Five-O because these streets is evil, but the internet lets you hide behind a firewall. Mebbe tell them they tried to solicit sex from your 5-year-old Russian nephew. Might as well turn it into an international incident, c'mon now.

Amaron
11-10-2007, 02:38 PM
And once again Stanley makes my head hurt.

J