PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Pizza Recalls

Apathy
11-01-2007, 10:34 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/01/pizza.recall.ap/index.html

MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota (AP) -- General Mills on Thursday recalled about 5 million frozen pizzas sold nationwide under the Totino's and Jeno's labels because of possible E. coli contamination.

The problem may have come from pepperoni on pizzas produced at a General Mills plant in Ohio, the suburban Minneapolis-based company said.
CHECK YOUR FREEZER
The recall involves the following frozen pizzas and product code numbers:

• Totino's Party Supreme, 42800-10700
• Totino's Three Meat, 42800-10800
• Totino's Pepperoni, 42800-11400
• Totino's Pepperoni, 42800-92114
• Totino's Classic Pepperoni, 42800-11402
• Totino's Pepperoni Trio, 42800-72157
• Totino's Party Combo, 42800-11600
• Totino's Combo, 42800-92116
• Jeno's Crisp 'n Tasty Supreme, 35300-00561
• Jeno's Crisp 'n Tasty Pepperoni, 35300-00572
• Jeno's Crisp 'n Tasty Combo, 35300-00576

Source: The Associated Press

It said the pepperoni came from a separate supplier, not produced at the plant itself, but it declined to release the name of the pepperoni distributor.

The voluntary recall covers pizzas containing pepperoni that have been produced since July, when the first of 21 E. coli illnesses under investigation by state and federal authorities emerged.

Nine of the 21 people reported eating Totino's or Jeno's pizza with pepperoni topping at some point before becoming ill.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that eight of the victims have been hospitalized, and four have developed a type of kidney failure.

Eight of the cases were reported in Tennessee, with the other cases found in smaller numbers in Kentucky, Missouri, New York, Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Wisconsin and South Dakota.

"We took action on that basis as a precaution, because of the possibility that a link might exist," said General Mills spokesman Tom Forsythe. "However, to date we have found no E. coli in our plant, and we have found no E. coli in our products."

General Mills said it is cooperating fully with the investigation, which is continuing. The company said it is not naming the pepperoni supplier because the source of the E. coli is still under investigation.
Don't Miss

* USDA: View labels of the recalled pizzas
* FDA: Information on the recalled pizzas

The company asks consumers to throw away recalled pizzas. They can get replacements by clipping the bar code from the box and mailing it with their name and address to Totino's/Jeno's, P.O. Box 200 -- Pizza, Minneapolis, MN 55440-0200.

Symptoms of E. coli can include stomach cramps and diarrhea. People typically are ill for two to five days but can develop complications including kidney failure.

In late September, the Topps Meat Co. recalled 21.7 million pounds of frozen hamburger patties after 40 people in eight states got sick from contaminated beef believed to have been imported from Canada.

The New Jersey-based company shut down several days later

---

I was just going to post this as a head's up, but the article bothers me in two places. One - they should be REQUIRED to disclose the name of their distributor. Two - if there's no E.Coli in your products why are you recalling them????

Bobmuhthol
11-01-2007, 10:37 PM
<<One - they should be REQUIRED to disclose the name of their distributor.>>

To the public? No. To the police? Yes.

<<Two - if there's no E.Coli in your products why are you recalling them????>>

"We took action on that basis as a precaution, because of the possibility that a link might exist," said General Mills spokesman Tom Forsythe. "However, to date we have found no E. coli in our plant, and we have found no E. coli in our products."

Numbers
11-01-2007, 11:28 PM
O shit, I had some of that pizza for din

Apathy
11-01-2007, 11:49 PM
To the public? No. To the police? Yes. You are so wise in the way of the world, why should we not know?

Awesome, I read the article too. Do you have a point to make or did you just get excited you figured out how to use quotes on the bulletin boards?

TheEschaton
11-02-2007, 12:16 AM
Because the masses are fickle, and might burn down the plant without ever reading "but we ain't found shit".

-TheE-

Jayvn
11-02-2007, 03:19 AM
I heard if your cover it in ranch dressing it kills the e coli

Tsa`ah
11-02-2007, 04:33 AM

To the public? No. To the police? Yes.

Most vendor contracts include NDAs that work in either direction. Thus the likely reason they declined to disclose the name of the vendor. Even if such a clause doesn't exist between GM and the vendor, it's just bad business if the incident is isolated ... and this sounds like an isolated incident. Not to mention if you read ...

The company said it is not naming the pepperoni supplier because the source of the E. coli is still under investigation.

Which translates into ... we're not exactly sure when, where, and how the product became contaminated, just that some contaminated product belonged to a vendor we're not naming ... because it is entirely possible that they shipped uncontaminated product.

If they named the vendor and in doing so, caused said vendor to lose business ... and it was later discovered that some grubby ass trucker pulled over, popped open a container, and then chowed down with the hand he just scratched his 6 day dirty crotch with ... well GM becomes liable for the loss.

There isn't any legal precedent I'm aware of that would require them to release the name anyway ... not even to the police.

The police don't give a shit one way or the other unless there is suspicion of criminal activity or if legal charges have been filed and the DA wants names ... which would require a warrant.

Better safe than sorry.

I'm not exactly sure what the coding indicates .. but likely it indicates a plant and line number ... the format doesn't make sense for time and date ... though it could plant and batch number.

Simple logic. Everything from said vendor's batching is matched with their batching. Anything produced with suspected contamination is subject to recall ... logistically it makes more sense than trying to narrow it down further.

All said and done ... it's infinitely more than any automotive manufacturer has ever done in the realm of recalls. Think about it ... 21 people, 5 million pizzas. They could have just recalled the specific product these 21 people ate, instead they recalled anything produced that has even the most remote chance of contamination.

Methais
11-02-2007, 07:48 AM
I heard if your cover it in ranch dressing it kills the e coli

I heard the same thing about Andraste.

CrystalTears
11-02-2007, 08:12 AM
I heard the same thing about Andraste.
You sicken me. Literally.

Methais
11-02-2007, 08:51 AM
:lol:

Sean of the Thread
11-02-2007, 08:56 AM
We only buy the cheese totino's in this house hold.

Celephais
11-02-2007, 09:03 AM
Considering the distributor could be providing pepperoni to other vendors you would think they would need to inform the public for saftey concerns. That just doesn't seem like the type of thing an NDA should be able to protect a company from. (Kind of like how if a contract requires someone to do something illegal it's not actually a legal contract).

Latrinsorm
11-02-2007, 10:36 AM
People have seriously bought 5 million frozen pizzas SINCE JULY?

Sean of the Thread
11-02-2007, 11:12 AM
They only cost a buck at most places. Shrug

Clove
11-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Because the masses are fickle, and might burn down the plant without ever reading "but we ain't found shit".

-TheE-

Lesson:

If a company repos your dog... you should incite the public against them.

If a company may have provided you with contaminated materials... you should protect them from the public.

Lomoriond
11-02-2007, 11:53 AM
People have seriously bought 5 million frozen pizzas SINCE JULY?

People don't realize the sheer volume of what we consume as a society...

300,000,000+ people who average 2.5 meals a day... that's 750,000,000 meals PER DAY for the last 120 days...

90 BILLION meals since july... 5 million cheap ass frozen pizzas doesn't surprise me in the least bit.

All numbers in this post were made up on the spot... but you get the idea

CrystalTears
11-02-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm not exactly sure...
Someone mark this in the calendar. Tsa`ah wasn't sure about something. Still had a big ass opinion about it, but may not be exactly sure all the same. :tongue:

Clove
11-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Someone mark this in the calendar. Tsa`ah wasn't sure about something. Still had a big ass opinion about it, but may not be exactly sure all the same. :tongue:

I was wondering when we'd hear from our resident recall expert.

Tsa`ah
11-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Considering the distributor could be providing pepperoni to other vendors you would think they would need to inform the public for saftey concerns. That just doesn't seem like the type of thing an NDA should be able to protect a company from. (Kind of like how if a contract requires someone to do something illegal it's not actually a legal contract).

You would have a point if there were more reporting of e coli contamination. They certainly could, and are likely, to have other customers outside of General Mills. But considering the scope of production and the relatively small number of infected end customers ... well it's an issue of common sense if you have any experience in the field.

The vendor wasn't pumping out mass volumes contaminated product. Routine testing (were they doing it as required) would have shown production side contamination of that scale.

Since we're talking about 21 people, it's likely it was a contaminated batch or container as a result of someone's bare hand somewhere between packaging and unpackaging.

Go back and reread specifically why they're not disclosing ... namely because they're investigating the source. Translation ... the vendor may not be the source.

http://www.sarasota-asg.com/images/Halloween/Cheer%20Leader.jpg

Come back when you have 10 years experience working on the vendor side of things.

CrystalTears
11-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Come back when you have 10 years experience working on the vendor side of things.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/Jemah/smilies/cheer.gifAnd chemistry experience, and Princeton experience, and lie detector experience, and religion experience, and protest experience... what are you, like 100 years old?http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/Jemah/smilies/cheer.gif

Don't worry, I've added my own cheerleading pics because the ones of your wife are making me sick.

Clove
11-02-2007, 01:32 PM

Wow, you've been a food manufacturing supplier for 10 years? Illustrious. Now I know where you get all your keen insights on chemistry, electronics, international politics, law, medicine, economics and early childhood development. By the way if you have any extra pepperoni around (clean) could you cut me a deal? Love that stuff.

BUSINESSWOMAN: Which car company do you work for?

JACK: A major one.

-Fight Club

Tsa`ah
11-02-2007, 01:34 PM
You're an idiot as well ... here's one for you.

http://www.hot-screensaver.com/wp-myimages/cheerleader.jpg

Sean of the Thread
11-02-2007, 01:36 PM
This thread delivers.

Some Rogue
11-02-2007, 02:09 PM
This thread delivers.

A pizza thread that delivers....

Sean of the Thread
11-02-2007, 02:13 PM

Was wondering how long before some at least accused me of a bad pun.

Sean of the Thread
11-02-2007, 02:15 PM
I know that they're only recalling the meat style pizzas but what do you all think about just the cheese? Still safe considering they don't really know the source of the contamination (so it seems)?

I've got about 15 of these stuffed in the freezer and I'm debating on tossing them or not just to err on the side of caution. Only my daughters eat them and shit it's less than $20 worth of food. But I hate to waste money.

Tsa`ah
11-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Check the coding against the coding listed in the article.

If the first of the series is 42800 or 35300, they're likely from the same plant. Your call from there.

CrystalTears
11-02-2007, 02:18 PM
It'll probably be alright. Hell I don't think people should worry about the pepperoni, just flick them off. Not like they're really part of the pizza anyway. :D

Sean of the Thread
11-02-2007, 02:25 PM
It'll probably be alright. Hell I don't think people should worry about the pepperoni, just flick them off. Not like they're really part of the pizza anyway. :D

Actually I THINK the have shredded pepperoni in the sauce as well.

Not a chance in hell I'd eat one of the pizzas anyways.

Clove
11-02-2007, 02:27 PM
You're an idiot as well ... here's one for you.

That really hurts coming from someone with 10 years of vendor-side experience!

Jorddyn
11-02-2007, 02:45 PM
But I hate to waste money.

Waste money?

The company asks consumers to throw away recalled pizzas. They can get replacements by clipping the bar code from the box and mailing it with their name and address to Totino's/Jeno's, P.O. Box 200 -- Pizza, Minneapolis, MN 55440-0200.

Or, just find their 800#, and tell them you don't want to waste your money mailing in the barcodes.

Clove
11-02-2007, 03:08 PM
I've got about 15 of these stuffed in the freezer and I'm debating on tossing them or not just to err on the side of caution. Only my daughters eat them and shit it's less than $20 worth of food. But I hate to waste money.

Think of how much money a trip the ER will eat up... that could have been avoided with a .39 stamp a .50 envelope.

Sean of the Thread
11-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Waste money?

Or, just find their 800#, and tell them you don't want to waste your money mailing in the barcodes.

L2READPLZ

Clove
11-02-2007, 03:33 PM
L2READPLZ

What part of Jorddyn's advice don't you understand?

Methais
11-02-2007, 03:46 PM
This thread delivers.

It's not delivery
http://www.claytoncramer.com/pictures/pizzafront.JPG

Jayvn
11-02-2007, 03:59 PM
I suck at picture insertion =/

Sean of the Thread
11-02-2007, 06:31 PM
What part of Jorddyn's advice don't you understand?

This is no surprise but evidently you're just as retarded as her.

My pizzas are not on the recall list. They are not refundable.

You guys are dumb fucks. If you need to double check that fact please feel free to read the thread again and pay attention this time.

Clove
11-02-2007, 10:08 PM
My pizzas are not on the recall list. They are not refundable.

You're the retard worried about pizzas that aren't on the recall list. But you really should call the 800 number so the manufacturer can tell you what a dumb fuck you are too. I'm sure they never get tired of it:

GM CS Rep: *sigh* "No sir... it's only the pepperoni pizzas that are causing us concern at this time. No, we don't have any reason to suspect the public is in any danger from our plain cheese pizza."

Sean of the Thread
11-02-2007, 10:28 PM
You're stupid.

/end

Methais
11-02-2007, 11:24 PM
[QUOTE=Sean2;647428]Actually I THINK the have shredded pepperoni in the sauce as well.

I think that's the line everyone missed in this argument.

This thread is now over. Good day.

Tsa`ah
11-02-2007, 11:29 PM
You guys are dumb fucks. If you need to double check that fact please feel free to read the thread again and pay attention this time.

Dude, I only suggested you compare the first sequence of the coding and make that conclusion yourself if they matched.

Sean of the Thread
11-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Dude, I only suggested you compare the first sequence of the coding and make that conclusion yourself if they matched.

My comments were not directed towards you. They were in response to the tards that didn't take the time to read the thread.

Your response was actually the most pertinent of any to my question. For the record I decided to toss them. (Not yet however.. sanitation comes Monday and I don't want fucking raccoons tearing up my shit prior)

*Edit to say they were from the 42800 source.

radamanthys
11-03-2007, 12:19 AM
At least they didn't recall pizza rolls... I have half a bag left in the freezer

Clove
11-03-2007, 11:11 AM
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/246297/totinos_crisp_crust_pepperoni_party.html

And one more advantage to Tombstone Pizza Original Pepperoni. No bacteria.

Sean2 you're still a retard. You'd better stay away from all pepperoni pizzas just to be safe.

Sean of the Thread
11-03-2007, 11:31 AM
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/246297/totinos_crisp_crust_pepperoni_party.html

And one more advantage to Tombstone Pizza Original Pepperoni. No bacteria.

Sean2 you're still a retard. You'd better stay away from all pepperoni pizzas just to be safe.

http://forum.gsplayers.com/showpost.php?p=647599&postcount=39

Apathy
11-04-2007, 10:30 AM
And then...

INNEAPOLIS, Minnesota (AP) -- The giant agribusiness company Cargill Inc. said Saturday it is recalling more than 1 million pounds of ground beef that may be contaminated with E. coli bacteria.
art.beef.gi.jpg

Cargill says the beef being recalled was produced October 8-11.

The ground beef was produced October 8-11 at Cargill Meat Solutions' plant in Wyalusing, Pennsylvania and distributed to retailers.

Affected retailers include Giant, Shop Rite, Stop & Shop, Wegmans and Weis in Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia.

Cargill learned the meat may be contaminated after the Agriculture Department found a problem with a sample of the beef produced on October 8, the company said. The bacterium is E. coli O157:H7.

"No illnesses have been associated with this product," John Keating, president of Cargill Regional Beef, said in a statement. "We are working closely with the USDA to remove this product from the marketplace."

E. coli is harbored in the intestines of cattle. Improper butchering and processing can cause the E. coli to get onto meat. Thorough cooking, to at least 160 degrees internal temperature, can destroy the bacteria.
Don't Miss

* Millions of pizzas recalled
* Pot pies suspected in salmonella outbreak

E. coli O157:H7 is a potentially deadly bacterium that can cause bloody diarrhea and dehydration. The very young, seniors and people with compromised immune systems are the most susceptible to E. coli.

Cargill Meat Solutions, based in Wichita, Kansas, is the umbrella organization of Cargill's beef, pork and turkey businesses.

The Wyalusing plant produces 200 million pounds of ground beef annually.

Cargill Inc., based in Wayzata, Minnesota, is one of the nation's largest privately held companies. It makes food ingredients, moves commodities around the world and runs financial commodities trading businesses.

Stanley Burrell
11-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Real pizza is made in a brick oven that immolates any and all diseases. Located in a non-corporate corner pizza store. Managed by a 200 year old pizza chef. Who wields the mithril pizza cutter of the ages. Aite.

Stanley Burrell
11-04-2007, 11:43 AM
And then...

This is all because of the resident chef posting that link of girl poop-age.

Necromancer
11-04-2007, 03:59 PM
So that people are aware, nearly every recall for contamination is voluntary. The FDA has almost no authority to force a recall. E. Coli contamination is pretty common; they only do the recall if it looks like it's widespread enough to cause legal trouble, and if the damage from the contamination is deemed worse than the PR damage from a recall. Welcome to food in the US.

The FDA is not looking out for you =(