PDA

View Full Version : Bergeron Knocked Unconcious

Anebriated
10-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Dont know how many hockey fans are here but figured id ask. Im getting a lot of flak on various boards for calling this a clean hit with a bad ending. Couple things I learned when playing hockey.. Its a players responsibility to protect themselves by the boards, never leave your back exposed and dont hit the brakes going into the boards(or lower your head) when a defender is chasing you down.

That being said he was carted out of the rink still unconscious. After the game went by with no diagnoses of his injuries I read that he escaped with only a concussion and a broken nose. Im glad he wasnt hurt more severely.

Heres the hit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xAEetam6HQ

TheEschaton
10-28-2007, 11:50 AM
That's like the definition of boarding. It's not dirty, but it's definitely not in the rules of the game - you're not supposed to ever hit people from the back. Crosschecking and boarding are penalties all about this.

-TheE-

Anebriated
10-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Yeah, and he got penalized for boarding. I just dont think that he deserves any sort of additional time off the ice than what he already got. Seems the majority of the public thinks he deserves a suspension and is trying to put him with the likes of Downie and Boulerice(who werent even going to make the final flyers squad anyway).

Skeeter
10-28-2007, 11:59 AM
I thought he got a game misconduct for that hit. But that is definately bording and therefore a dirty hit.

Anebriated
10-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Alright so I shouldnt have worded it as a clean hit. It was a hit that is part of the game, and was done with no ill intent. He got the penalty for it, but deserves no suspension. I dont know if every sportswriter is biased against Philly(i think they are), but they are loving this hit and making Philly look like a dirty team. I dont know, last time I checked hockey was a physical sport. Im just bitter because I have no way of calling out the sportswriters.

TheEschaton
10-28-2007, 12:18 PM
I agree with you to an extent. The only difference between this and any other "normal" boarding call was on the defensemen and what he did (and didn't do). That being said, the game misconduct was probably adequate. He shouldn't be suspended for that, but then again, the NHL has gotten completely pussified ever since Craig McTavish retired. Not that I'm complaining, that helps speedy skill teams like the Sabres succeed.

-TheE-

Dwarven Empath
10-28-2007, 05:52 PM
That hit was just part of the game. It just happened to be on one of the bruins' best players.

He got his nose broken, and he's sore, but he will be back. The guy that hit him was actually given the game misconduct to protect himself.

I was watching the game, the hit looked worse then it actually was.

Go Bruins!

Matt/Medi...