PDA

View Full Version : Alter Suggestions

War Angel
10-25-2007, 11:37 AM
So I am trying to have my alter idea's at the ready for this weekend, but I am admittedly poor at alterations.
I purchased the caul off the pawnshop table, and am in love with the look.
I am trying to piece together a hunting outfit loosely based on this image:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee206/warangel123/idea1.jpg

And have come up with :

You see Some Character.
She appears to be Elven.
She is wearing an alabaster vaalorn chain caul with pale water sapphires strung throughout, a flowing burgundy velvet cloak edged in white fur, a vaalorn pendulum necklace on a thick rope chain, a suit of gleaming alabaster vaalorn plated[scaled] armor, some pale alabaster gauntlets set with sharp water sapphire shards, some radiant vaalorn plated leggings with intricately fluted knee guards,and a pair of knee high vaalorn plated boots.

Alter pro's, help! Can I have leggings created that resemble armor? Boots?
What should I change or modify to make the outfit flow? Cloak and necklace will be EG purchases, the armor, gauntlets, leggings and boots are my ideas.
Any help on a beltworn container that would fit into the overall look?
Thanks!

TheEschaton
10-25-2007, 11:39 AM
I don't know that vaalorn can come in alabaster as a color.

War Angel
10-25-2007, 11:46 AM
I don't know that vaalorn can come in alabaster as a color.

Im going off the play.nets docs that state "Only the Vaalor elves know the secrets of dyeing the material, and the most common hues are white, blue, red and gold." The caul was bought as it is, alabaster color and all. Not that it'd bother me to take it out of the rest of my alteration, just the reason for my basing it on that color.

thefarmer
10-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Suggestions.

Buy leg guards. There have been vaalorn ones released, might be able to find some.

Main suggestion is to change your items to basics with long shows. It makes it easier to describe complicated items.

Stanley Burrell
10-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Alabaster makes me think of skin coloring (and lack thereof) for some reason.

Maybe use a hyphen. Alabaster-whorled? Use the word "burnished" because it is a good word to use.

Burnished, burnished, burnished, burnished, burnished, burnished, burnished.

War Angel
10-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Thank you all for your opinions.
Now ... I dont suppose anyone would wanna help me write shorts with long show descriptions based on the picture?
(Must be similar to the vaalorn caul, as I already own it.)
If anyone's bored and feeling creative, I promise to rave to everyone about your help with the alters. :)

Martaigne
10-26-2007, 09:03 AM
I'd really combine the greaves and such with the armor UNLESS you actually plan to wear accessories with a lower armor base than brigandine (which seems to be what you're describing). This can be edited slightly to change it to plate, as well. 502 characters for the long desc, well within the limit of 511, and fits the 15/15/15 rules for the short.

some alabaster|vaalorn|scalemail:
Black-laquered pauldrons, inset with forward-curving spikes, crest the shoulders of this impressive elven-forged armor. Leaf-thin platelets of vaalorn smoothly overlap across the cuirass, which is secured by side-bound black leather straps before continuing under a short chain fauld accented by a plate over the right hip. Intricately fluted vambraces and water sapphire-inlaid gauntlets protect the arms and hands, while matching greaves and gleaming vaalorn-plated boots shield the legs from harm.

War Angel
10-26-2007, 11:55 AM
some alabaster|vaalorn|scalemail:
Black-laquered pauldrons, inset with forward-curving spikes, crest the shoulders of this impressive elven-forged armor. Leaf-thin platelets of vaalorn smoothly overlap across the cuirass, which is secured by side-bound black leather straps before continuing under a short chain fauld accented by a plate over the right hip. Intricately fluted vambraces and water sapphire-inlaid gauntlets protect the arms and hands, while matching greaves and gleaming vaalorn-plated boots shield the legs from harm.

YOU are my hero! Thank you a million times. What you suggested really makes a lot of sense!

Stanley Burrell
10-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Capitalize "Elven" so that all shall know your unmistakable pointy-eared master race superiority.

And where is the word "burnished?" Armor must be burnished to protect it from tarnish, garnish, and ... Unburnishing? As such, I SHALL NOW SHED THE TEARS OF UNFATHOMABLE SADNESS. A pox upon the non-burnished! :rtfm:

Martaigne
10-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Dude, I'll burnish your ass with my foot...

Stanley Burrell
10-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Dude, I'll burnish your ass with my foot...

Damn right you will.

7Seconds
11-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Highjacking the thread, but only because of the name.

I've a cloth-of-vaalin shroud...

At present it is this. A cloth-of-vaalin shroud clasped at the shoulder by a trio of pentagram clasps.

Nice and all, I just don't like it(better then it was though.) So any ideas on cleaning it up. Short name w/ a show, or long name I care not I'm personaly not too keen on sentence long items.

War Angel
11-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Highjack away! The spinners hate my characters anyway. :)

Stanley Burrell
11-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Highjack away! The spinners hate my characters anyway. :)

For you have forsaken, foresworn and agroforested that which is burnished.

War Angel
11-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Had I known that "the burnished" held the power of winning Gemstone, I would not have done so. Le sigh. :(

7Seconds
11-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Burnished is over rated...that is all.

Kitsun
11-18-2007, 10:31 PM
What the demon spit is a caul?

I had to look it up and neither definitions seem to apply...

Quick definitions (caul)
# noun: the inner embryonic membrane of higher vertebrates (especially when covering the head at birth)
# noun: part of the peritoneum attached to the stomach and to the colon and covering the intestines

WTF?

Hips
11-18-2007, 10:33 PM
caul (noun)

1. a part of the amnion sometimes covering the head of a child at birth.
2. greater omentum.
3. a net lining in the back of a woman's cap or hat.
4. a cap or hat of net formerly worn by women.

Martaigne
11-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Highjacking the thread, but only because of the name.

I've a cloth-of-vaalin shroud...

At present it is this. A cloth-of-vaalin shroud clasped at the shoulder by a trio of pentagram clasps.

Nice and all, I just don't like it(better then it was though.) So any ideas on cleaning it up. Short name w/ a show, or long name I care not I'm personaly not too keen on sentence long items.

What else is the character wearing? Do they have any favored gems or metals? Any arms or symbol? Deity?

7Seconds
11-19-2007, 12:32 AM
Cover your Eyes...

This is what he wears normaly.

He appears to be a Faendryl Dark Elf.
He is average height. He has silver-flecked black eyes and ebon skin. He has very long, sleek silver hair caught in a casual roll at the nape of his neck by some twisted platinum hairsticks. He has angular pointed ears.
His face is concealed by a narrow-eyed expressionless facemask.
He has minor cuts and bruises on his back.
He has an old battle scar across his back.
He is holding an engraved wood runestaff with scorched vruul hide braided about its shaft in his right hand.
He is wearing a silver braided chain suspending a L'Naere charm, an onyx-bound bloodjewel amulet, a muddy brown finch charm, some twilight blue shoulder-guards, a cloth-of-vaalin shroud clasped at the shoulder with a trio of pentagram clasps, a silk-screened viridian tote, a tailored slate grey backpack, a silver-capped leather scroll case, some dark grey silver-insigiled casting gloves, a rainbow crystal-inset platinum ring, a shadowglass ring, a wide braided gold bangle, an ebonwood silver-veined locket, a black opal bracelet, some kiramon chitin vambraces, a trio of silver chains clasp, a silver-framed crest marked with a scarlet pentacle on a field of grey, some deeply hooded silk robes, an embroidered black linen shirt, a silver-laced rich ebony sash, a ring of golden keys dangling from an obsidian pin, a twice wrapped sharkskin sword-belt, a sigil-embroidered midnight black satchel, a shadow black leather banded scabbard, a leather components satchel clasped by a dagger-pierced pearl heart, some formal black linen trousers, a burnished leather ankle sheath, some kiramon chitin legguards, some black ankle-length split-toed socks, and a pair of black leather sandals.

I'm currently in the works of eliminateing 5 lines of text from this...some things are going and other are being replaced... A few like this shroud will be re-altered to a shorter name.

Character Info...
Is a Faendryl, does not follow ANY arkati. Though does have ties to the majority of Lornon spirits Greater/Lesser and Gosenea(sp,) more so Gosenea then the others. He is a Sorcerer, Classed: Harrower. The overal color scheme for the character(more later then now) is Black with blue/azure and silver accents.

I told you, Cover your eyes! But did you listen...nooooooo.

Stanley Burrell
11-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Cover your Eyes...

This is what he wears normaly.

He appears to be a Faendryl Dark Elf.
He is average height. He has silver-flecked black eyes and ebon skin. He has very long, sleek silver hair caught in a casual roll at the nape of his neck by some twisted platinum hairsticks. He has angular pointed ears.
His face is concealed by a narrow-eyed expressionless facemask.
He has minor cuts and bruises on his back.
He has an old battle scar across his back.
He is holding an engraved wood runestaff with scorched vruul hide braided about its shaft in his right hand.
He is wearing a silver braided chain suspending a L'Naere charm, an onyx-bound bloodjewel amulet, a muddy brown finch charm, some twilight blue shoulder-guards, a cloth-of-vaalin shroud clasped at the shoulder with a trio of pentagram clasps, a silk-screened viridian tote, a tailored slate grey backpack, a silver-capped leather scroll case, some dark grey silver-insigiled casting gloves, a rainbow crystal-inset platinum ring, a shadowglass ring, a wide braided gold bangle, an ebonwood silver-veined locket, a black opal bracelet, some kiramon chitin vambraces, a trio of silver chains clasp, a silver-framed crest marked with a scarlet pentacle on a field of grey, some deeply hooded silk robes, an embroidered black linen shirt, a silver-laced rich ebony sash, a ring of golden keys dangling from an obsidian pin, a twice wrapped sharkskin sword-belt, a sigil-embroidered midnight black satchel, a shadow black leather banded scabbard, a leather components satchel clasped by a dagger-pierced pearl heart, some formal black linen trousers, a burnished leather ankle sheath, some kiramon chitin legguards, some black ankle-length split-toed socks, and a pair of black leather sandals.

I'm currently in the works of eliminateing 5 lines of text from this...some things are going and other are being replaced... A few like this shroud will be re-altered to a shorter name.

Character Info...
Is a Faendryl, does not follow ANY arkati. Though does have ties to the majority of Lornon spirits Greater/Lesser and Gosenea(sp,) more so Gosenea then the others. He is a Sorcerer, Classed: Harrower. The overal color scheme for the character(more later then now) is Black with blue/azure and silver accents.

I told you, Cover your eyes! But did you listen...nooooooo.

Just burnish everything and you will ROLLIN' in those Sylvan sex slaves straight from the burnished harem. Word up.

7Seconds
11-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Die Burnished Die!!!

StabyStabyStabyStabyStabyStabyStaby

::Creepy music playing in background::

7Seconds
11-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Oh, the burnished ankle sheath is one of the items designated to be Removed... :)

thefarmer
11-19-2007, 04:18 PM
He is wearing a silver braided chain suspending a L'Naere charm, an onyx-bound bloodjewel amulet, a cloth-of-vaalin shroud , a silk-screened viridian tote, a silver-capped leather scroll case, some dark grey silver-insigiled casting gloves, a silver-framed crest marked with a scarlet pentacle on a field of grey, some deeply hooded silk robes, an embroidered black linen shirt, a shadow black leather banded scabbard, a leather components satchel clasped by a dagger-pierced pearl heart, some formal black linen trousers, some shoes.

Few things.
Cut down the shroud to a smaller base.
Is this a container? And does it really go with a robe?
If you need the robe to cover your armor, I'd loose the shroud.
Rings over gloves is silly, IMHO.
Do you need that many containers? Tote, case, sat is almost pushing it too. Also, I've always considered a 'tote' a womanly container. It might not be by definition, but it seems that way to me.
Sword-belt and scabbard is overkill and sharkskin works for pirates, only. And unless you swing, I'm not sure you'd need to advertise a weapon holder. Maybe a runestaff harness/backholder to hold your runestaff, but if it'll fit in your robes pocket, I'd just use that and leave it off.
Black socks, black sandals only belong on tourists at Disneyland, get some boots/shoes man!

That's one alter (and I'd even loose the caul) and a lot less scroll/fluff/junk. The more you keep that huge description, the more 'empuffy' you'll look. And what self-respecting sorc, which I assume Herod is, would want THAT impression?

thefarmer
11-19-2007, 04:19 PM
BTW, this isn't a bad post to keep up for continuous suggestions, for anyone.

7Seconds
11-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Satchels are 3/4 full so needed components/magical items/etc

Sandals are a Faendryl thing.

The Tote is the home for my Tubby Malicious Ivory Kitten, and isn't going anywhere. though will probably be altered in the future for sake of color.

Robes and a Cape/Shroud again a Faendryl thing. Shirt/Pants under robe again Faendryl thing to replace the normal under-robe worn by said race.

Swordbelt will be replaced or altered Sharkskin is nice and all but your right doesn't fit, the double wrapped part I really like though.

Scabbard is and "adventurer thing." Walking around without a sword on your hip is asking for trouble, etc. Regardless of not being able to swing it :)

Rings under the gloves, yeah, I'll be ditching those since I've the ring holder now.

The shroud is a container, but isn't used as one, its fluff.

The scroll case is 3/4 full, yay Scroll Infusion.

Backpack is my "Loot" Bag used while hunting.

The chain clasp is going bye bye as well, I've always thought of the crest as the "Clasp" for the robes. Which btw do hide "a set of closely laced leathers," 5x reinforced.

Given the coverage of the armour, the vambraces and leg guards are fluff, but I likes em I do. As are the shoulder-guards(which will be altered to kirimon chitten shoulder-guards/pauldrons/spaulders.) The leg guards will be changed to kirimon chitten suniate or shin-guards.

The EG components satchel I'll probably work on having the clasp moved to the show, so it will be shortened to a leather components satchel.

The shroud I'm planning on altering into "a cloth of vaalin shroud" with a show.

So then you would have this...

He is wearing a silver chain suspending a L'Naere charm, an onyx-bound bloodjewel amulet, an etherial blue nightengale, some kirimon chitten pauldrons, a cloth of vaalin shroud, a silk-screened azure tote, a tailored slate grey backpack, a silver-capped leather scroll case, some dark grey silver-insigiled casting gloves, an ebonwood silver-veined locket, a black opal bracelet, some kiramon chitin vambraces, a silver-framed crest marked with a scarlet pentacle on a field of grey, some deeply hooded silk robes, an embroidered black linen shirt, a silver-laced rich ebony sash, a ring of golden keys dangling from an obsidian pin, a twice wrapped faenor accented sword-belt, a sigil-embroidered midnight black satchel, a shadow black leather banded scabbard, a leather components satchel, some formal black linen trousers, some kiramon chitin suniate, a braided silver anklet, some black ankle-length split-toed socks, and a pair of black leather sandals.

7Seconds
11-19-2007, 05:11 PM
Even with those changes, the characters show is still too long.

thefarmer
11-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Satchels are 3/4 full so needed components/magical items/etc

Sandals are a Faendryl thing.

The Tote is the home for my Tubby Malicious Ivory Kitten, and isn't going anywhere. though will probably be altered in the future for sake of color.

Robes and a Cape/Shroud again a Faendryl thing. Shirt/Pants under robe again Faendryl thing to replace the normal under-robe worn by said race.

Swordbelt will be replaced or altered Sharkskin is nice and all but your right doesn't fit, the double wrapped part I really like though.

Scabbard is and "adventurer thing." Walking around without a sword on your hip is asking for trouble, etc. Regardless of not being able to swing it :)

Rings under the gloves, yeah, I'll be ditching those since I've the ring holder now.

The shroud is a container, but isn't used as one, its fluff.

The scroll case is 3/4 full, yay Scroll Infusion.

Backpack is my "Loot" Bag used while hunting.

The chain clasp is going bye bye as well, I've always thought of the crest as the "Clasp" for the robes. Which btw do hide "a set of closely laced leathers," 5x reinforced.

Given the coverage of the armour, the vambraces and leg guards are fluff, but I likes em I do. As are the shoulder-guards(which will be altered to kirimon chitten shoulder-guards/pauldrons/spaulders.) The leg guards will be changed to kirimon chitten suniate or shin-guards.

The EG components satchel I'll probably work on having the clasp moved to the show, so it will be shortened to a leather components satchel.

The shroud I'm planning on altering into "a cloth of vaalin shroud" with a show.

I'm never heard someone use the "it's a Faendryl thing' excuse for wearing too much fluff. Especially tacky tourist garb. But if you want to go with that, cool.

You're a sorcerer. Your runestaff should replace a (useless) scabbard in the "I'm an ADVENTURE MOFO" theme.

Unless you use all of those scrolls, and do alchemy tasks 24/7 stow them in a locker until you use them. I doubt you need so many containers 3/4s full all the time.

Since you're dead-set on wearing/carrying all that stuff, I wouldn't bother with how many lines you're going to use. In fact, if your alters go through, you'll be even long than you originally posted.

Which is fine, if you're cool with it. If you're more interested in reducing your description, I'd start giving up useless stuff. (extra containers, armor pieces, fluff pieces, extra clothing like a caul and cape over robes-which still seems odd)

DCSL
11-19-2007, 06:00 PM
The anklet-socks-sandals combination is just killing me. Sandals can be Faendryl, yes. But the rest.. The only thing that could make that picture more complete is a pair of tiny Speedos and some sock garters. Straight off a retirement community Florida beach, right there. That's just what springs to mind for me though, not necessarily everyone, of course.

7Seconds
11-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Doc Garb for Faendryl in general is odd, sandles, two robes, a cowl, and a sash/belt, maybe some form of wrist bling.

7Seconds
11-19-2007, 06:31 PM
He is wearing a silver chain suspending a L'Naere charm, an onyx-bound bloodjewel amulet, an etherial blue nightengale, some kirimon chitten pauldrons, a cloth of vaalin shroud, a silk-screened azure tote, a twighlight blue leather backpack, a silver-capped leather scroll case, some dark azur silver-insigiled casting gloves, an ebonwood silver-veined locket, a black opal bracelet, some kiramon chitin vambraces, a simple pentagram clasp, a sleevless black silk robe with a knee length hem, an ebon-worked dark azure linen shirt, a silver-laced rich ebony sash, a black leather swordbelt, a black leather satchel, a leather components satchel, some black-worked cerulean linen pants, some kiramon chitin suniate, a braided silver anklet, some blackend split-toed leather boots

This any better? removed a few things and added one to the "to be altered" list

Nilandia
11-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Yay for people using the fashion docs!

That said...

You're still wearing WAY too much. Let's try to bring it down to size, or at least smaller than a wall of text.

Stuff to go:

The L'naere charm - you're a Faendryl. Why are you wearing the charm of a dead Arkati that's associated with a race of slaves?
Bloodjewel amulet, finch charm, shadowglass ring, black opal bracelet - wear it only when you're using it.
Casting gloves, rainbow crystal ring, silver chains clasp, Faendryl crest, ring of gold keys, bangle - No matter how cool it might be, it's not needed.
Shoulder-guards, vambraces, legguards - You said the armor you're wearing already covers the arms and legs, so these aren't necessary.
Sword-belt - you're a caster, so you don't need a sword, or a belt for one.
Scabbard - sorry, no. It's not an 'adventurer thing.'
Ankle sheath - get a hiding sheath if you NEED one.
Containers - This one's an ideal, but I would like to limit to one, maybe two containers if necessary.
Tote - If it's just a kitten, you can put that away.
Shirt and trousers - With the robes, not really necessary.
Sock - What they said. You look like a tourist.

Pared all that down, here's what we're left with, which isn't too bad at all.

He is wearing an ebonwood silver-veined locket, a cloth-of-vaalin shroud clasped at the shoulder with a trio of pentagram clasps, some deeply hooded silk robes, a silver-laced rich ebony sash, a silver-capped leather scroll case, and a pair of black leather sandals.

Gretchen

7Seconds
11-19-2007, 07:05 PM
what about the trimed and altered show above you? Post 31? looking at it compaired to the original it's about 1/2 the size...

The reason he wears pants/shirt is to replace the under-robe normaly worn by Faendryl Males, running in robes just seems like it would be a bitch.

Nilandia
11-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Snipping down your proposed outfit, I'd leave...

He is wearing an ebonwood silver-veined locket, a cloth-of-vaalin shroud, a sleeveless black silk robe with a knee length hem, an ebon-worked dark azure linen shirt, a silver-laced rich ebony sash, a silver-capped leather scroll case, some black-worked cerulean linen pants, some blackened split-toed leather boots.

Some comments, though.

If you alter the armor hiding robes like you're suggesting, the pants and shirt make more sense, but I'd prefer to see a tunic rather than a shirt. As you start to move more into blacks and blues, though, the cloth-of-vaalin is starting to feel out of place, at least if you keep it as is. Dyeing it may bring it more into line with the color scheme, as vaalin is naturally a pale color like a pearl.

The shirt and pants seem a bit off. Both are 'worked' in their ornamentation, and the 'black-worked' might give people ideas that you don't want, because 'blackworked' refers to a specific embroidery style that was typically used on the edges of people's undergarments. ;) You could try something similar to a pair of pants I really like that I saw recently: some intense blue-black marbrinus trousers heavily streaked with ebon.

I'd love to see more lizard skin or the like, given that the Faendryl seem to enjoy it. Perhaps you could have strips of lizard skin binding the pants at the shins or some sort.

I actually liked the sandals better, but I'd prefer more description on them as well. Maybe make them out of lizard skin, if you don't like it on the pants.

Gretchen

Donquix
11-19-2007, 08:13 PM
if you aren't wearing "nothing special" you're wearing too much!

7Seconds
11-19-2007, 09:28 PM
As soon as my cobblers free I'll have some lizard skin sandals to toss on him, only problem w/ the sandals is, if you'll notice, showing skin. Which for my characters is a no-no which then means I'll need socks, and everyone hates socks w/ sandals seems.

The vambraces/shin guards have to stay since I'll not be able to alter a arm/leg/chest concealing robe to a sleeveless knee length one. So I'll end up needing to switch to light leathers and fill it out with the pieces.

If I where to go minimalistic(which I loath the lack of organization, IE containers) He would be left as this.

He is wearing an ebonwood silver-veined locket, an ethereal blue Nightingale, some kirimon chitten pauldrons, a cloth of vaalin shroud, a twilight blue leather backpack, a silver-capped leather scroll case, some dark azure silver-insigiled casting gloves, some kiramon chitin vambraces, a sleeveless black silk robe with a knee length hem, an ebon-worked dark azure linen tunic, a silver-laced rich ebony sash, a dark blue leather belt, a leather components satchel, some ebon threaded blue linen pants, some kiramon chitin suniate, a braided silver anklet, some black split-toed leather boots

I like the auto-scroll for the bird, hence the reason I keep it on the list.

The shroud will be replaced by an enveloping ash-black shroud

Probably leave sandals off him unless he's going to some formal function or another.

7Seconds
11-19-2007, 09:31 PM
hmmm, look at the above I'm thinking that might not be a bad idea. And though I like the idea of working lizard skin in the outfit more so then just boots/sandels I can figure out how unless I where to alters things like the belt, scroll case, etc.

a silver-capped lizard-skin scroll case
a twice-wrapped azur lizard-skin belt
some black split-toed lizard-skin boots/some black lizard-skin sandels

As for his runestaff, this is just a spare his current one is out for enchantment.

It is or rather will be once the alteration goes through(with hope,)

A shimmering faenor-caged staff

This staff, comprised of a length of mesile, has been covered by innumerable darkly hued vaalin scales. Varying in hue from deep blue to near black and cast off a shimmering nimbus of light. An intricate latticework of pure faenor overlays the entire staff, the weave loose at its center and increasing in density toward either end. The faenor lace rises away from one end to cage a etherial blue crystal.

DCSL
11-19-2007, 11:13 PM
I'm kind of bored at the moment, so I'm just throwing this stuff out there... I've taken more than a few liberties, but they're just suggestions. I went for a shorter long description for the robe using all the same words. Admittedly, it's still not as short as we all might wish, but I tried to respect your need for certain items.

He is wearing an ebonwood silver-veined locket, a jewel-tone nightingale charm, some kiramon chitin pauldrons, a knee-length sleeveless black silk robe, a high-necked deep blue linen tunic, some kiramon chitin vambraces, a twice-wrapped glistening ebony silk sash, a leather components satchel, a dark basilisk skin scroll tube, some ebon suede silver-buckled pants, some kiramon chitin suniate, a braided silver ankle cuff, and a pair of tall wrapped basilisk skin boots.

a jewel-tone,nightingale,charm
This tiny bird's exterior does justice to the classical beauty of its voice, looking like a lavish ornament fit to adorn the wealthiest nobility. Each immaculate feather is a glossy blue, deepening in color from aquamarine at its head to a rich sapphire across its tail and wing feathers.
(Nightingales are actually brown in real life... but it hardly matters in GS, heh. Also, I think I remember these bird charms have to keep the word "charm" at the end. I could be wrong, though.)

a high-necked,deep blue linen,tunic
Although it is crafted along simple lines, still the fineness of the linen and the evenness of the azure hue betray the high quality of the tunic. The only further adornment to the garment are touches of glistening black thread ringing the hem, high collar, and cuffs in a pattern of tiny scales.

a dark basilisk,skin scroll,tube
The material of the scroll tube is distinctive in its combination of reptilian skin and feathers, unmistakably from a basilisk. Tough skin forms the body of the cylinder with a pair of long tailfeathers trailing from the silver-capped mouth of the tube, glistening deep, bruised blue with an oily iridescence.

some ebon suede,silver-buckled,pants
Simply constructed and utilitarian, the pants have almost no extraneous adornment save a pair of matte silver buckles cinching wide leather straps across the supple suede on each thigh.
(I kind of dislike putting silver-buckled after ebon suede but GS tap rules constrain me.)

a braided,silver ankle,cuff
Bright silver has been braided together in a wide plait while still glowing hot, then pounded flat and curved to form a cuff.
(If you must wear ankle jewelry, cuffs sound infinitely more masculine.)

7Seconds
11-19-2007, 11:50 PM
The Charm part of the bird can be removed.

7Seconds
11-19-2007, 11:57 PM
The cuff will not work because of it having to fit over the shin guards. hence anklet.

I'd prefer to keep the under garments shirt/pants linen if possible, though the basilisk skin I like. Alot.

Scroll tube is a bit of a problem only because it is also where I keep any paper based item he owns, manifest, bankbook, rune book, alchemy journal, etc.

All in all though, thanks for the ideas, much obliged.

I'll defenently be going with the shirt. and aside swapping case with tube and the feathers, go with the scroll container.

Nilandia
11-20-2007, 12:51 AM
The vambraces/shin guards have to stay since I'll not be able to alter a arm/leg/chest concealing robe to a sleeveless knee length one. So I'll end up needing to switch to light leathers and fill it out with the pieces.

I wouldn't be too sure. :D

You determine that the charmeuse tunic is an armor concealing garment that will hide soft leather, rigid leather, chain mail and plate mail armor which covers torso, arms and legs when it is worn.

Gretchen

7Seconds
11-20-2007, 12:58 AM
Hmm just had an idea for the robe... Anyone think why bourde would be a bad choice of material?

A deeply hooded sleevless black bourde robe with a kneel length hem.

7Seconds
11-20-2007, 01:00 AM
>Gretchen

Always worth a shot I guess. :)

DCSL
11-20-2007, 01:12 AM
You know what bourde is, right? It's got to be two colors or tones. So it'd have to be something like... a deeply hooded sleeveless black and ash bourde robe with a knee length hem. I'd personally change that to a show, though.

7Seconds
11-20-2007, 01:13 AM
So then we now have;

He is holding a shimmering faenor-caged staff in his right hand.
He is wearing an ebonwood silver-veined locket, an ethereal blue Nightingale, some kirimon chitten pauldrons, an enveloping ashen shroud, a twilight blue leather backpack, a dark basalisk skin scroll case, some dark azure silver-insigiled casting gloves, some kiramon chitin vambraces, a deeply hooded sleeveless bourde robe with a knee length hem, a high-necked deep blue linen tunic, a wide cloth of silver sash fastened with an onyx clasp, a dark blue basalisk skin belt, a leather components satchel, some blue threaded black linen pants, some kiramon chitin suniate, a large plaited silver ankle cuff, some tightly-laced split-toed basalisk skin boots

so?

thefarmer
11-20-2007, 01:15 AM
Leg guards have been known to stop just at the ankle, for mobility reasons, so an ankle cuff isn't out of the realm of possibility.

7Seconds
11-20-2007, 01:21 AM
alright cut the color out of the robes to simply say,

a deeply hooded sleeveless bourde robe with a knee length hem.

Color become implied to match the overall color scheme.

Or simply a sleeveless knee length robe, with a show of;

Cut from ebony and deepest azure bourde and accented by trace amount of basilisk skin. This robes has been fitted for a male figure with wide shoulders, and a deep cowel. The hem of the robe has been trimmed back to knee length to allow for more freedom of movement. While maintaining the overall importance of class and custom.

7Seconds
11-20-2007, 01:22 AM
The type of guard suniate are run from a demi cop that covers the knee all the way down to the ankle and slightly dropping down on the sides to half cover the sides of the foot. So the area in question for a cuff is made inaccessible for a ring holder to be functional or even show.

With the additon of the Bourde, me thinks the cloth of silver sash is a bit much for the over all look. so back to a black one I guess. I've a many-layered folded waist-sash that would work I think.

Shari
11-20-2007, 01:30 AM
WTF is a sorcerer doing wearing armor such as greaves or shin guards! Your people are physically WEAK at attacking and defending. You need to unleash the power of your MAGIC and bring out the voids! Death to all who oppose you and someuch!

I'm not going to give anything constructive because Dex and Gretchen have already said what I would have. You either go with the advice or ya don't.

*flees*

DCSL
11-20-2007, 01:34 AM
Your robe is beginning to look more and more like a surcoat to me. Plus hood. If you say it's a surcoat, which those concealers can be, you won't have to mention the sleevelessness. It cuts down on length. So more like... a cowled and,hooded bourde,surcoat. I dislike leaving off colors in taps but it's late and I'm having trouble thinking.

Edited to add that that show will not pass. Minus typos, the overall importance of class and custom thing might not go over so well. I get what you're trying to say but more than a few GMs will veto it. Uh... lemme think of something.

a cowled and,hooded bourde,surcoat
The standard cut of the surcoat has been embellished by the addition of a cowl and deep hood, and the uniqueness of its material. Black and near-black azure hues stripe the bourde with an unusual third stripe of pebbled ebony basilisk skin along side the others, lending a different texture to a classic fabric.

7Seconds
11-20-2007, 01:37 AM
A surcoat is actually what the docs describe more then a robe... IE;

>A sleeveless, sideless tunic covers the underrobe and is tied at the waist with a sash. - play.net/gs4

7Seconds
11-20-2007, 01:47 AM
>Shari

What 7x hcp light leathers, chitten pauldrons, HCP vambraces, and HCP shin guards are too much for a sorcerer? Feh! Everyone needs armour, and as it is reinforced does nothing to hender his ability to wrend a swarm to crimson ash.

thefarmer
11-20-2007, 01:50 AM
HCP vambraces and shin guards are a waste.

You're already getting the padding on those parts. Whether or not padded piece armor interferes with your padded base armor, it's possible, but someone who keeps up with that can chime in.

And pauldrons are just fancy shoulderpads for dudes... Which, personally, seem odd over robes or whatever you're calling them.

7Seconds
11-20-2007, 03:26 AM
with only the HCP light leathers I'll not be getting any padding on the arms legs or head, so if I want that I'll have to use the pieces. As for odd, take a look at the picture posted for sorcerers as part of the profession read out on the GS web page. I probably will end up just leaving the should-guards just that and alter them to kirimon chitten.

thefarmer
11-20-2007, 03:31 AM
You should still be getting padding for the oncovered portions, but have the DF be based off of robes (lesser ASG)

7Seconds
11-20-2007, 03:34 AM
even if that is true...um robes? ick.

thefarmer
11-20-2007, 03:35 AM
It's true.

This is the reasoning that torso only pieces (especially MBP) is so popular in the HCW version. Plate protection on the torso, hauberk on everything else, with the padding for all body parts.

And it's the same df base you're getting with your piecemeal armor pieces. Since GS sucks when it comes to that stuff.

7Seconds
11-20-2007, 03:37 AM
your kidding me? The armour pieces are not bringing the asg of my characters arms and legs up to par with the light leather?! :wtf:

thefarmer
11-20-2007, 03:40 AM
Actually, it might.

I haven't worn seperate pieces in awhile.

However, the padding part, I'm sure of.

It's easy enough to test, though. Get hit in the arm with them, and without.

7Seconds
11-20-2007, 02:49 PM
It it helps with your line of thought DCSL I'm going to drop the hooded part from the surcoat/tabard/over-tunic/robe/etc due to the Shroud.

Donquix
11-20-2007, 03:05 PM
padding on your chest armor spreads everywhere on your person, regardless of if that armor covers it or not (i.e. heavily padded MBP = heavily padded from head to toe)

wearing padded accessories with non-padded chest armor means you get the padding in the place of the acceory only (i.e. plain robe + padded leg greaves = padded legs only)

pieces padded of the same type that overlap you take the greater of the two. i.e. lightly padded chest armor + heavily padded leg greaves = heavily padded legs, lightly padded to the rest of the body

if you have overlapping pieces of different padding types (damage padded leather with crit padded accesory) stop, take a deep breath, remove the damage padded accessory and punish yourself for acquiring it in the first place by hunting naked for a month.

if you wear armor accesories it DOES raise your overall ASG (as well as cva, hinderence, etc. it acts just like you are wearing a higher ASG chest armor) but it works kind of funky. for example, if you wear a metal breastplate and arm greaves, it will treat it as if you are wearing an aug breastplate. however, i believe, if you are wearing MBP and you wear a helmet it treat it as if you are wearing full plate because all it realizes is your head is covered and thats the only asg in plate with head coverage is 20, full plate.

7Seconds
11-20-2007, 03:10 PM
They relay need to work on the armour system... ick.

Just found out as well that the only way to compensate for the added weight of armour pieces is to lighten the base armour, you can't wear reinforced equiv piecemaille IE arm/leg greaves and light leather and get the same encumbrance as an actual suit of reinforced with the 8 ranks in AU, and you can't train away the wieght from the arm/leg coverage ither.

Donquix
11-20-2007, 03:18 PM
yup.

you can somehow carry more stuff in a suit of imflass platemail that weighs 53 lbs than you could in a "regular" set of light leather that weigh 10 lbs.

As someone who owns and will wear (in a couple levels) a set of imflass lightened full plate, i can't complain TOO much about this :)

thefarmer
11-20-2007, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I knew piecemeal was dumb, but I was right on the padding.

Still gonna wear the pieces?

7Seconds
11-20-2007, 06:27 PM
yes, just not going to pad them, I'll get them lightned instead.