PDA

View Full Version : Virilneus' Foraging

mgoddess
10-22-2007, 04:48 PM
From here (https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=102&category=18&topic=17&message=731):

In light of Greminty's removal of the Visual Foraging application, Virilneus' has written a new foraging guide/application.

http://www.virilneus.com/roomdata/room.php

He needs help finishing it though. Herb locations and rangers that can help fill in terrain/climate info for each room. People who want to help finish can email him (at virilneus@ the above website) so he can set you up with an account to add info to the site.
---

I think Virilneus' site looks cleaner and works better (so far) then Greminty's site did. If I recall correctly, Greminty's site didn't have the terrain/climate thing going on, which is one very large bonus to Virilneus' site.

Jolena
10-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Its really similar in design, but it does have some extra features that I enjoy. Thanks for posting it!

Xaerve
10-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Kudos to him for doing this.

I find it really funny especially given Grem's latest cry-baby post on his site.

Teavangelical
10-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Ohmygod yes.

:love:

SayGoodbye
10-22-2007, 07:34 PM
I love this person. I'll make sure to register my ranger asap.

Parkbandit
10-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Kudos to him for doing this.

I find it really funny especially given Grem's latest cry-baby post on his site.

I couldn't find it.. where was it posted?

Jayvn
10-22-2007, 07:55 PM
I have a feeling that the old visual foraging will die if he puts it back up or not, Just the fact this also lists the climate/terrain as well... lets you quickly check rooms with potential herbs in them.. you really need a ranger with a tome or 7 working on this.. zul is going to be one fun nightmare w/o sense.
FUCK I NEED FAIRY PRIMROSE

Xaerve
10-22-2007, 08:14 PM
I couldn't find it.. where was it posted?

http://gemstone.kthanks.com/forage.php

Be prepared for massive QQing.

Latrinsorm
10-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Man, it's a good thing they didn't give Greminty a Tsoran-esque title IG, huh? That would be pretty awkward now.

Tolwynn
10-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Oops.

<html>
<head>
<title>Visual Foraging is no more</title>
</head>
<body>
<p></p>
<p><h3><center><a href="http://www.virilneus.com/roomdata/room.php">Room Data</a></center></h3></p>
</body>
</html>

mgoddess
10-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Oops.

<html>
<head>
<title>Visual Foraging is no more</title>
</head>
<body>
<p></p>
<p><h3><center><a href="http://www.virilneus.com/roomdata/room.php">Room Data</a></center></h3></p>
</body>
</html>

*snort* Not surprising at all...

(I'm finding it very amusing to watch people throw tantrums and close up community-driven sites just because the GemStone staff is changing up a bit. It might be mean of me, but it's funny as heck.)

(And you're welcome to everyone... I just saw V's post on the officials and knew people here who would use it. :) )

Celephais
10-23-2007, 08:47 AM
http://gemstone.kthanks.com/forage.php

Be prepared for massive QQing.
:rofl: he left up a txt file of all the data from his site... so it actually wouldn't be a lot of work for someone to reassemble it... but if you look at the data there is an entry at the bottom:

8316 WL-gates wild gooseberry
8317 NULL greminty sucks NULL
8318 murdroot

Venom
10-23-2007, 11:36 AM
I had just happened to check the old visual foraging site to see if there had been any updates to it, and I noticed he has a link to Virilneus's site. .and I was on my way to post a great big THANK YOU! to Virilneus for all his hard work. :thanx: :thanx: But I see someone beat me to it.

I think I can safely say that people of Gremnity's integrity will not be sorely missed.

Celephais
10-23-2007, 12:04 PM
I think I can safely say that people of Gremnity's integrity will not be sorely missed.
Give him some credit.. he went all sandy vagina on us, but at least he's sort of cleared that fog a tad, posting his data in txt format and link to Viril's site while his site is still up.

You can't blame him for not wanting to continue to host the site if it's of no good to him though really.

CrystalTears
10-23-2007, 12:06 PM
And see, I take issue with someone who hosts a site that benefits everyone, then decides when they no longer play to just up and close it without at least giving other people the chance to host it.

Don't want to host it anymore because you don't play, that's fine, but especially with sites that other people contributed the information in it, I just find it really selfish. :shrug:

Celephais
10-23-2007, 12:18 PM
And see, I take issue with someone who hosts a site that benefits everyone, then decides when they no longer play to just up and close it without at least giving other people the chance to host it.

Don't want to host it anymore because you don't play, that's fine, but especially with sites that other people contributed the information in it, I just find it really selfish. :shrug:
That's a very good point, he easily could have forked over the codebase to someone willing to take over, but he is forking over the data at least, that's what the public contributed, if he wants to keep his "proprietary" code... that I guess is his choice.

At a fear of keeping people from providing nice services, I guess it's kind of an obligation to at least pass the torch, but really what kind of expectations do people have? What if Jamus quit, he'd probably pull PsiNet's plug in a heartbeat (heck he did it for a drunken day if I recall).

Drew
10-23-2007, 11:41 PM
The good thing about Greminty's site was no registration, and it worked just fine. The new one will grow as fast as Krakiipedia, that's to say, REALLY slow.

Some Rogue
10-23-2007, 11:49 PM
You only have to register to input climate/terrain.

Bobmuhthol
10-23-2007, 11:53 PM
<<And see, I take issue with someone who hosts a site that benefits everyone, then decides when they no longer play to just up and close it without at least giving other people the chance to host it.>>

In general, I wouldn't hand out my more important projects like that if I stopped developing them. It's not a matter of paying for bandwidth.

Tolwynn
10-24-2007, 12:24 AM
The good thing about Greminty's site was no registration, and it worked just fine. The new one will grow as fast as Krakiipedia, that's to say, REALLY slow.

Locations Marked: 14353 | Rooms Tracked: 12025 | Rooms with Climate/Terrain Data: 2001

Sometimes it's good to be wrong.

The Ponzzz
10-24-2007, 01:00 AM
He gave the location X,Y coordinates for each map, so I bet that was all loaded. Site looks great.