PDA

View Full Version : Official: Lothwyn on Plat

Fallen
10-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Apparently this was posted on the plat folder by Lothwyn, then later deleted:
----

>I know people are talking about past comments I have made regarding disliking Plat, and something about what I said at SimuCon. And, of course, the natural question is... if someone dislikes Plat, what are they doing taking over?<

>I honestly don't remember many conversations at SimuCon, but I have said before--prior to being hired when Plat first was introduced, and after as a GM--that I disagreed with the concept of Plat and didn't like it. After being hired, I had trouble rousing the attention of players in the game in order to do events or merchants. I admit it was incredibly frustrating.<

>So yes, I've expressed that opinion, and there's no reason to deny it. I'm definitely not going to lie or try to somehow cover them up. I've expressed it to many friends, and it would be fully dishonest to say my opinions were miraculously changed.<

>That said, opinions are just opinions. I try not to let them bias me if I'm asked to do a job. Now that it is my responsibility to see that Plat thrives and is a success, I must and will do everything I can to see that it happens. Maybe getting closer to Plat will change my opinions, which were made at a distance.<

>I'm always happy to be corrected.

Fallen
10-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Eh, tried to edit out the "Official" part from my post, but no luck.

Michaelous
10-18-2007, 08:28 PM
this is the reason gemstone sucks

Suppa Hobbit Mage
10-18-2007, 08:29 PM
How much did you spend on the game again?

Fallen
10-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Can someone from plat clear this matter up? From what I gathered of the post on the officials I copied this from, I would rather this be a bit more reliable.

Michaelous
10-18-2007, 08:33 PM
i didnt spend that much, all the stuff i got tsin created for me.

That Jay
10-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Basically someone commented that Lothwyn had said some anti-Plat comments at the recent Simucon. That post was pulled. Shortly afterwards Lothwyn posted the post at the beginning of this thread which generated more outrage because he basically admitted that, yes, his does not have a good opinion of Platinum and that hopefully his opinion will change. As you noted he did state that the opinion would not affect his performance (although I find that a bit delusional) and most took offense at the fact that no only did they remove Khaladon but they replaced him with someone that basically thinks the Platinum instance should not exist in the first place.

DRPlayer
10-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Let's see:

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=35&category=2&topic=3&message=49432

A moment of your time · on 10/18/2007 2:03:40 PM
Hello everyone,

I realize everyone is still processing emotions from yesterday, and I don't want to get in the way and make you feel like you can't vent. So, I'm going to try to keep this short for now.

I cannot fill Khaladon's shoes, nor am I going to try to fill his shoes. But I will do my best, for those of you who do stick around, to keep Platinum full of the energy and fun that Khaladon breathed into it.

Platinum has a strong community and you also have a strong team that was dedicated to you. Today, the team has grown in size, and while no one can truly replace Khaladon, the dedication is still present to keeping Platinum as vibrant as ever. I only ask that you give us a chance to prove it.

I'm afraid I currently do not have any full plans for Platinum, or even Premium, to discuss with you now. This is as sudden to me as it is for you. My mind was completely focused on Ebon Gate yesterday, and until EG is over with I won't be able to sit down with the team and formulate ideas. That said, I did plan on involving you, the Platinum community, in any future plans or discussions. It is your community, after all, you should have the ability to have a say in what goes on around you.

As we go forward, I hope you feel that you all can be honest with me, and I hope to be able to be honest with you. Some of you may dislike me, simply because I'm now the 'other guy', and some of you may like me. But I hope that all of you will be able to come to trust me. If you ever need to vent, scream, shout, need help, or otherwise need someone to listen, my e-mail is always open if you don't want to post.

As for the name of the team, Events and Promotions, it's just a name. All we did was squish the Events and Festivals team and Upsells team together, but thought Promotions was a better word to use. Platinum and Premium is still part of the team's focus, nothing can change that. But, since the team name means a lot to you all, I've gone ahead and asked permission to change the team name to Events, Promotions, and Platinum.

Anyhow, I'm getting long-winded here so I better cut off now. Those of you who are going to Ebon Gate, I hope you enjoy what we're planning. We're getting a list of everything Khaladon was going to release at EG so we can still release it--I know he would want you all to be able to still enjoy his year's efforts.

Once Ebon Gate is behind us, and I've had time to consider everything, we'll sit down again and discuss how we can make Platinum just as fun, and maybe even a little bit a more fun.

Thanks,

Lothwyn

buncha posts and then:

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=35&category=2&topic=3&message=49453

*kicks Emeradan for pulling his post*

Stop that!

To rephrase my last post...

I know people are talking about past comments I have made regarding disliking Plat, and something about what I said at SimuCon. And, of course, the natural question is... if someone dislikes Plat, what are they doing taking over?

I honestly don't remember many conversations at SimuCon, but I have said before--prior to being hired when Plat first was introduced, and after as a GM--that I disagreed with the concept of Plat and didn't like it. After being hired, I had trouble rousing the attention of players in the game in order to do events or merchants. I admit it was incredibly frustrating.

So yes, I've expressed that opinion, and there's no reason to deny it. I'm definitely not going to lie or try to somehow cover them up. I've expressed it to many friends, and it would be fully dishonest to say my opinions were miraculously changed.

That said, opinions are just opinions. I try not to let them bias me if I'm asked to do a job. Now that it is my responsibility to see that Plat thrives and is a success, I must and will do everything I can to see that it happens. Maybe getting closer to Plat will change my opinions, which were made at a distance.

I'm always happy to be corrected.

L

Hope that helps you guys :)

Kyra231
10-19-2007, 02:05 AM
Basically someone commented that Lothwyn had said some anti-Plat comments at the recent Simucon. That post was pulled. Shortly afterwards Lothwyn posted the post at the beginning of this thread which generated more outrage because he basically admitted that, yes, his does not have a good opinion of Platinum and that hopefully his opinion will change. As you noted he did state that the opinion would not affect his performance (although I find that a bit delusional) and most took offense at the fact that no only did they remove Khaladon but they replaced him with someone that basically thinks the Platinum instance should not exist in the first place.

Yadda yadda, I'm Jay(the plat expert) & I will cry that Khaladon is gone yet prior to him being gone I cried he needed to step down because he was burned out.

I R hypocrite along with half the plat population who did the same thing.

~K.

FinisWolf
10-19-2007, 02:34 AM
I agree with TheJay in one instance of his post.

If someone does not find what they are doing to be enjoyable, and does not like/love it, then their output towards what they are doing will never be 100%, let alone exceed expectations.

As many know, if you want to excel, and exceed expectations you need drive, in order to have drive, there needs to be a feeling of want. If you lack that feeling all the rest of the points crumble.

Can he do the bare minimum, sure. Will he excel, and exceed expectations? Not with his current outlook.

My two cents, and own opinion.

Finis

That Jay
10-19-2007, 02:38 AM
Yadda yadda, I'm Jay(the plat expert) & I will cry that Khaladon is gone yet prior to him being gone I cried he needed to step down because he was burned out.

I R hypocrite along with half the plat population who did the same thing.

~K.

I feel sorry for Tlor's player. Such a shame what he has to come back to after such fine service overseas. Please tender my him my condolences.

~Jay

::shrug yawn shrug yawn::

Some Rogue
10-19-2007, 09:18 AM
I feel sorry for Tlor's player. Such a shame what he has to come back to after such fine service overseas. Please tender my him my condolences.

~Jay

PWNT

Celephais
10-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Can he do the bare minimum, sure.
How many piece of flare do you want him to wear then? If you want him to wear 15 pieces of flare like your pretty boy Khaladon, make the minimum 15 pieces of flare. Okay?

Heh, anyway, I don't think the fact that he dislikes plat will affect his performance. If he's someone who loves the game (and I'm sure he does) he'll do his best to make plat a enjoyable experience, personally as someone who enjoys the game I think plat is a terrible idea, essentially splitting an already strained community and taking some of the 'better' or more dedicated players away from the "new" players (something new players NEED is the type of warm atmosphere a lot of plat players generate).

Now if I were suddenly shoved into plat (be it just moving my character, or having a job w/ simu) I would still enjoy the game with the same fervor, infact I might enjoy it more. As a professional I think he'll be able to make the distinction that he has new expectations and if he's the type of person who likes to exceed expectations no matter the challenge, I think we'll see him step up to the plate.

Kyra231
10-19-2007, 10:03 AM

~Jay

Awww I'm crushed, I truly truly am. Sorry you had no comeback that was relevant to what I said, oh yeah that's right, because it was the truth.

Btw if he was in need of condolences I doubt he would want them from a pathetic meter maid so addicted to gs he lost his family...but since he's such a good guy he'd take them out of politeness.

Off to the ocean for a nice long weekend sweetness, bash on, bash on it's all you're good for.

~K.

Gummy bear hugs & sugar filled kisses your way.
:love: :hug2: :tumble: :tumble:

Fallen
10-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Ahh, Platinum quality tit-for-tat. So THAT is what those people are paying more for.

I likes it.

That Jay
10-19-2007, 11:26 AM
My apologies.

It was wrong of me to tender condolences. It would appear congratulations to him are in order instead! Your oral skills must be phenomenal (probably the removable teeth). It is the only explanation.

Enjoy your time at the ocean! That must be where the sand comes from.

~Jay

::smoochie poo koochie koo::

Some Rogue
10-19-2007, 11:37 AM
My apologies.

It was wrong of me to tender condolences. It would appear congratulations to him are in order instead! Your oral skills must be phenomenal (probably the removable teeth). It is the only explanation.

Enjoy your time at the ocean! That must be where the sand comes from.

~Jay

::smoochie poo koochie koo::

:rofl: x100

Alfster
10-19-2007, 12:34 PM
If someone does not find what they are doing to be enjoyable, and does not like/love it, then their output towards what they are doing will never be 100%, let alone exceed expectations.

Get a fucking clue man. I hate 3/4 of what I do for a living, but it doesn't mean that I wont give it everything I possibly can.

Much like I fucking hate the actual process of cleaning. I do however enjoy a clean house...so I fucking clean until the place is spotless.

Methinks this GM has a passion for gemstone. Maybe he doesn't necessarily like the idea of plat, but he's not hiding the fact from anyone. He's being upfront and honest, and by doing so, he'll be under the radar more than if he had just ignored it. I believe he'll give it more attention than any of us realize BECAUSE he knows people won't appreciate what he does until they get over the Khaladon brown nosers.

Doughboy
10-19-2007, 12:38 PM
Damn this thread got good quick. Hurry up and get back from the ocean, I need some more toilet material to read. :)

Izalude
10-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Lothwynn taking over Plat is a BAD idea... He's mercilessly attacks anyone's RP that doesn't strictly conform to Game Lore, and pretty much all of his posts on the Elf Forums have been nothing but inflamatory.

You should have seen his flame aimed against my militant anti-Faendryl Ashrim Character back in April. It was really aggrivating and surprising, that he would try to snuff out GOOD (though controversial) RP. Though not surprisingly, he's also the Faendryl Guru, and god forbid something doesn't conform to the way the Faendryl docs are laid out, IT CANNOT BE POSSIBLE!!!111!

His quests are too long and drawn out. He has a disdain for the player population which is obvious by his posts on the forums. In all honesty, I think he should either step down or do stuff behind the scenes with minimal player interaction, because he's just going to make plat either stagnate or ruin it.

Fallen
10-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I wasn't all that thrilled when he took over the position of Dark Elf guru.

Nieninque
10-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Lothwynn taking over Plat is a BAD idea... He's mercilessly attacks anyone's RP that doesn't strictly conform to Game Lore, and pretty much all of his posts on the Elf Forums have been nothing but inflamatory.

You should have seen his flame aimed against my militant anti-Faendryl Ashrim Character back in April. It was really aggrivating and surprising, that he would try to snuff out GOOD (though controversial) RP. Though not surprisingly, he's also the Faendryl Guru, and god forbid something doesn't conform to the way the Faendryl docs are laid out, IT CANNOT BE POSSIBLE!!!111!

His quests are too long and drawn out. He has a disdain for the player population which is obvious by his posts on the forums. In all honesty, I think he should either step down or do stuff behind the scenes with minimal player interaction, because he's just going to make plat either stagnate or ruin it.

You want another GM to step down?

That can only be good for the game.

CrystalTears
10-19-2007, 03:56 PM
No GM would have been good enough, it seems.

That Jay
10-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Actually most of Platinum would have been at least semi-mollified if Bazar or Varulv were put in the post or even both as a joint stewardship.

At least that seems to be the sentiment going around.

DCSL
10-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Varulv would be an even worse customer service/diplomacy nightmare than Khaladon was viewed as. The only difference I ever saw between Brauden's customer interaction and Varulv's was that Varulv is a much wittier misanthrope than Brauden ever was. He's quite esteemed in Plat but I don't think he'd make the effort necessary (or see it as necessary) to attract new people to that instance of the game.

Warriorbird
10-19-2007, 06:38 PM
I think Lothwyn's going to do great things for events in Gemstone. He certainly has a stored reserve of creativity that's greater than most any other two or three GMs.

As fas Plat goes, maybe he'll be sold on turning it into The Fallen. I don't think much more CAN be done for Premium.

Izalude
10-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Lothwynn and I just don't see eye-to-eye. I respect his authority, but don't agree with his philosophy towards the game, and his strict adherance to game lore. (Meaning NOTHING COULD POSSIBLY EXIST THAT DEVIATES FROM GAME LORE)

And as I stated before... He rarely has anything nice to say on the Official Forums, and personally attacks people's RP if he doesn't like their style.

His quests, while certainly creative, aren't well planned. It seems like he just kind of wings it, which draws it out for too long, and he gets sidetracked, so the quest stagnates for months or even years (see the GSS).

Latrinsorm
10-19-2007, 08:39 PM
He has a disdain for the player population which is obvious by his posts on the forums.It'll be like Khaladon never left!
He's quite esteemed in Plat but I don't think he'd make the effort necessary (or see it as necessary) to attract new people to that instance of the game.That's WHY he's esteemed in Plat, hello!

/ba dum ch

Zanagodly
10-19-2007, 09:05 PM
heh