PDA

View Full Version : Questions to ask an employer...

AestheticDeath
10-18-2007, 12:49 AM
Right, so I have some job interviews set up soon.

Any advice would be welcome, as far as what to say and not say.

But the main thing that I want to come up with is a questionnaire for the company interviewing me! :)

Yeah, sort of turn the tables on them, like why should I work for you? What can you do for me?!

But also more along the lines of normal things I should know beyond the wages, benefits and whatnot.. Obviously there are things that would need to be discussed at various places like dress codes and stuff.

Also stuff like, how long is the lunch break, what normal breaks if any do I get. I really only had a few things I was going to write down, but didn't have time. And now I cannot for the life of me recall what my questions were going to be.

So some extra input from all of you reading this would be great.

And what is best along the lines of profit sharing, 401ks and all that? Last place I worked all we had was a crappy profit sharing thing. So I have never really experienced what all the other things can do for me.

Warriorbird
10-18-2007, 01:15 AM
What company or type of company? It varies.

AestheticDeath
10-18-2007, 01:25 AM
Heavy industrial, construction, production lines.. different types of things depending on the company.

Won't be office type stuff though.

SpunGirl
10-18-2007, 01:25 AM
I would try to avoid asking questions about breaks. If you're interviewing with someone you'll be working directly under, I'd ask them what their leadership style is, and ask them to expand on it if they give you a too-short answer.

In addition, if they were promoted from within the company from a position like the one you'll be working in, ask about how it changed their perspective on the job. Ask them questions so that they know you're evaulating them as a manager, and make them want to please you with their answers.

Ask about advancement opportunities, because this will give them the idea you're committed to working there for a decent period of time. Of course, what Warriorbird said about the kind of place you're applying is true. So if you're interviewing with Jazuela at BK, disregard all above advice and ask about breaks.

-K

Satira
10-18-2007, 01:30 AM
HEEHAW @ POST AND SIG.

Lomoriond
10-18-2007, 02:26 AM
why should I work for you? What can you do for me?!

Avoid ambiguity when asking these kinds of questions.

"What can you do for me" might be construed as "I'm a pompous self-important asshole who just wants the biggest paycheck possible"

Whereas "What is the growth potential of this position... where could I end up 5 years from now? 10? 20?" shows that you are wanting to treat it like a career (and not just your job)

You might even do some research about higher-up positions within that company that appeal to you and question if the company supports a "promote from within" advancement philosophy (if your higher up quits, are they going to straight hire someone to replace them, or would they promote a subordinate?) or if they offer any kind of employee training/tuition reimbursement.

In that same thread, I'd ask about performance reviews... how often they occur and their impact on advancement in the company.

Also stuff like, how long is the lunch break, what normal breaks if any do I get.

Breaks are mandatory by law... ASKING about them in an interview will generally just make you look ignorant or lazy UNLESS you are going to be working in a job that will not specifically permit breaks (like being the ONLY clerk in a store)

Assume you'll get two paid 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute unpaid lunch roughly 2 hours apart from one another... and don't ask :-p

They might do something wonky with breaks to deal with your specific position, but generally that'll be something you figure out on the first day.

And what is best along the lines of profit sharing, 401ks and all that? Last place I worked all we had was a crappy profit sharing thing. So I have never really experienced what all the other things can do for me.

Asking your interviewer about too many details of the 401k plan has a great chance of backfiring if they turn out to be a super expert on it and you haven't the first idea of what s/he is talking about (and they quickly assume you asked to look good and not because you cared - whether that was your intention or not)

Lump the 401k question into your benefits question... ask (if they don't mention) what percentage of your 401k contribution (if any) they match. Try to avoid asking for too many details unless you are a 401k officianado.

Ask if they they offer any kind of profit sharing or employee stock purchase programs in a completely separate thread of thought.

Lomoriond
10-18-2007, 02:32 AM
So if you're interviewing with Jazuela at BK, disregard all above advice and ask about breaks.

-K

:yeahthat:

If it's a shitty 9 to 5 you don't plan to stay at... disregard everything I said, walk in the door and go "Well you're an ugly mother fucker aren't you...lets get this shit over with so I can go smoke a fatty" and put your muddy boots up in his desk.

Incidentally, that also works if you are only going on job interviews to keep your unemployment check coming in...

Androidpk
10-18-2007, 09:04 AM
You could ask your interviewer why he/she chose to work there and also what keeps them there.

Jorddyn
10-18-2007, 09:18 AM
You need to make your interviewer feel you're truly interested in both him and the company.

Ask him about his work history with the company, the growth in his career (as has been mentioned before), and what attributes he feels have helped him get there.

Ask about the company - is it public or private, how many employees/locations, is it growing?

Most of all, just have a good attitude. It goes a long way.

Oh, and if you're being interviewed by a female, don't tell her that you really prefer to work for men.*

*actually happened to me about a month ago.

Lomoriond
10-18-2007, 09:56 AM
You need to make your interviewer feel you're truly interested in both him and the company.

Ask him about his work history with the company, the growth in his career (as has been mentioned before), and what attributes he feels have helped him get there.

Ask about the company - is it public or private, how many employees/locations, is it growing?

Most of all, just have a good attitude. It goes a long way.

Oh, and if you're being interviewed by a female, don't tell her that you really prefer to work for men.*

*actually happened to me about a month ago.

It'll shock the pants off your interviewer if you research a lot of this before hand. I interviewed someone once who knew more about the company than I did!

Incidentally, if you're being interviewed by a male, don't tell them you're glad you're not working for a female. I've had to pass over very solid candidates on more than one occasion simply because I didn't want to risk any conflict with any of my female team coordinators.

Pretty much any reference to otherwise controversial material (race, gender, politics, religion) is going to throw a big red flag... employers don't want people who are going to cause conflict, so avoid it in an interview.

ElanthianSiren
10-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Also, take vacation time and health benefits into your consideration of your company lists; make sure you get that info. You might land a lesser paying job that covers med, dental, and vision, or you could get paid a few grand more a year, and end up spending more on those services.

CrystalTears
10-18-2007, 10:43 AM
I don't know, I would be apprehensive about discussing salary and benefits on the first interview. On the second interview, or when being offered the position, fine. On the first visit, unless they bring it up themselves? I wouldn't.

Sean
10-18-2007, 10:50 AM
topsy turvey the motherfucker!

Suppa Hobbit Mage
10-18-2007, 10:54 AM
If they ask you if you could be any planet, which would it be...

The correct answer is Uranus.

AestheticDeath
10-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Breaks are mandatory by law... ASKING about them in an interview will generally just make you look ignorant or lazy UNLESS you are going to be working in a job that will not specifically permit breaks (like being the ONLY clerk in a store)

Assume you'll get two paid 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute unpaid lunch roughly 2 hours apart from one another... and don't ask :-p

My last foreman said breaks were not required by law... So yeah I had thought they were but he claimed they weren't.

I don't know, I would be apprehensive about discussing salary and benefits on the first interview. On the second interview, or when being offered the position, fine. On the first visit, unless they bring it up themselves? I wouldn't.

Honestly I just see pay/benefits as something I need to know before I accept a job, not sure why I would need to wait on something like that. And how could they accept me without knowing before hand how much they would have to pay me?

So far so good - but more help is always welcome!

AestheticDeath
10-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Yeah DOL website says breaks are not required, but that IF they are given, they must be paid.

And on lunch breaks, how many people only get 30 minutes for lunch? I got an hour at my last place... Will suck only having 30 minutes.

CrystalTears
10-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Oh my bad, you're going for an industrial type job. I missed that. Yeah I guess ask about pay. I'm just used to the corporate environment that don't favor people who are there primarily for the pay and benefits.

Latrinsorm
10-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Ask him if he "digs Marley". No matter which way he answers, respond "whoa, man, cool" and stare off into space for a few minutes. :up:

AestheticDeath
10-18-2007, 11:45 AM
hehe

Methais
10-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Glance at the picture of his wife on his desk and be like "Damn dude who's this whore with the awesome rack? I would break my dick off in her any day of the week. God damn you need to introduce me to her. And are these your kids?"

If the interviewer is a woman, ask if you can pee in her butt. Even if she's ugly, though that could backfire on you. But then again it could land you the job in the end.

Bobmuhthol
10-18-2007, 02:28 PM
<<topsy turvey the motherfucker!>>

I was waiting for a Leon response.

Clove
10-18-2007, 02:36 PM
I was taught to never inquire about salary and compensation at the interview. After you're offered the job, you discuss it. A quick Google search turned up this.

http://www.interviewstuff.com/ask-about-benefits.html

So I'm not the only one.

Sean
10-18-2007, 02:46 PM
You can't pause toast!

AestheticDeath
10-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Good site there, thanks

btw I already got offered one of the jobs after todays interview...

Now I just have to decide if its 100% what I want, because its not a short term type thing. I have one or two more interviews I think, and then I have to make a choice...

Methais
10-18-2007, 04:31 PM
What is it?

AestheticDeath
10-18-2007, 04:43 PM
What the job I got offered? McDonalds baby!

Nah its working for Martin Sprocket & Gear, Inc. (http://www.martinsprocket.com/home.htm) running CNC machines.

Lomoriond
10-18-2007, 08:02 PM
My last foreman said breaks were not required by law... So yeah I had thought they were but he claimed they weren't.

Ah... maybe it varies by state... pretty sure they are required by law here. Or maybe it's just for minors... in any case, it's generally bad form to ask about them at an interview :-p

Sthrockmorton
10-18-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm too lazy to do the actual search in there, but I'm pretty sure OSHA requires 15 min break for every 4 hrs worked, and a 30 min break for 6 hours. It's something like that.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/searchresults.relevance?p_text=break&p_title=&p_osha_filter=STANDARDS&p_status=CURRENT&p_start=&p_finish=15&p_sort_order=SCORE&p_desc=DESC&p_direction=Next

Lomoriond
10-18-2007, 08:39 PM
http://www.dol.gov/esa/programs/whd/state/meal.htm

Required in Oregon, not in Texas... that's where I got thrown off, I just assumed it was federal law.