PDA

View Full Version : Moving. Trial by fire.

Sean of the Thread
06-02-2005, 05:15 PM
I've come to a brave decision. This is going to sound outlandish but I've decided that I am going to go on a pilgrimage of sorts. Over the past few weeks all I have been thinking about is a need for a change and a want to be alone. Since losing my career job of almost 6 years last August and failing at marriage (my fault) due to a weak alcohol fueled depression I really want to take time off and find out who I really am as I feel completly lost. I am no where near what I aspired to be at this point in my life. So I feel a little soul searching is in order.

Starting manana I plan on selling almost (save some clothing and a vehicle) everything I own and going on a 6 month excursion out into the world. I'm not really sure how much I want to plan as I really want things to just unfold somehow. For some odd reason I feel really really relieved having decided this. Mebbe because I love adventure and maybe at the thought of being free for awhile. The idea of working jobs I would never work.. living where I would never live and experiencing things that right now I could never imagine intrigues me.

To get things started I wanted to consider a few things. First off I think that rather than throwing everything I have left from my fractured life into storage I should get rid of all these things. I'm not sure yet but that is the way I'm leaning. I need a new passport. I'm going to get a meat tag as I'm sure there are a million ways this could go entirely bad. For those not in the military a meat tag is a tattoo usually near the arm pit on your torso with ident info. What should I do about banking? Should I start/host a website to chronicle my adventure. I guess it would be easier cheaper to host a pHp forum and just update that from libraries/cafes. There are so many things I'm trying to think about that I want everyones input. I usually pack too much shit for a weekend camping trip.

Now that I'm sure you all think I'm even crazier than before..give me some ideas.

[Edited on 6-2-2005 by Xyelin]

KymberlynX
06-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Wow...that sounds amazing.

If you're not too attached to the material things, sell/toss them and start fresh when you get to where you're going to be...why not? The mementos you do have that you cherish, give to someone for safe keeping. I think the idea of being on a pilgrimage kinda loses something if you have bills to worry about.

If you're going to be working odd jobs to fund your journey, nix the bank and cash checks at the banks that they are issued from or ask for cash payments so you don't have to hassle with it. Also, investing in a money belt wouldn't be a bad idea so you will always have your cash and passport close by. IF you have the means, keep a little nest egg in your bank account for when you return to reality just in case.

And yes, by all means, keep a record of your journey, both the physical journey and the journey of your sobriety so that we can share it with you. Just make sure you watch out for hackers if you use cafes :lol:

I can't give advice on packing because I pack like I'm moving in or when I do try to keep it light, I wind up forgetting something important (ie: my daughter having to wear her sleeper sans onsie at Disneyland because her mother forgot to pack one for her to wear with her pants) Hopefully someone else will have some good advice for you in that area. ;)

Jolena
06-02-2005, 05:39 PM
I'm curious how your children factor into this journey you are planning. IE. financially and physically.

Sean of the Thread
06-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Jolena
I'm curious how your children factor into this journey you are planning. IE. financially and physically.

Financially they will be good.. my responsibilty to them has not changed. Physcially it will be my biggest loss. For them not so much so right now. I will still be able to speak to them on the phone and they are my biggest consideration currently.. I justify It by thinking it would be no different than if I were still in the USMC. Besides they only really want to come see me on days mommy spanks them. :lol: At least that is what my oldest told me the other day. I wasn't allowed to goto my youngest daughters birthday party because of teh C-BOMBS family was there. My older daughter told me I missed the party and I told her I know but it wasn't my fault. She didn't understand so I told her to ask mommy why. (which is prolly wrong but that bitch has to be accountable too.) Then my older daughter told me.. "next time mommy spanks me you can take me to chuck e cheese again if you want." I died laughing.

peam
06-02-2005, 06:12 PM
I'm envious, Xyelin.

If I didn't have financial obligations and a career, I'd do the exact same thing.

If you want to keep us updated on the boards as to where you've been and what you're doing, you can mail hand-written letters to me, and I'd be glad to post them for you.

Sean of the Thread
06-02-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by peam
I'm envious, Xyelin.

If I didn't have financial obligations and a career, I'd do the exact same thing.

If you want to keep us updated on the boards as to where you've been and what you're doing, you can mail hand-written letters to me, and I'd be glad to post them for you.

That is exactly where I find myself now and probally won't have the chance ever again once I get another career job. The only financial responsibility I have is my children and that is taken care of.

I'm going through the big D,
And don't mean Dallas.
I can't believe what the judge had to tell us.
I got the Jeep, she got the two bedroom,
Mortgage is due,
Side light-blue palace...

hhehe I love that song because my two bedroom house was light blue and I sold my jeep right after the split. FUNNY shit to me. But guess what I don't have any fucking bills anymore. Speaking of which I want to see Texas too. I want to actually see alot of college football games across the country.

I'm debating if I want to do this on a motor cycle. It would be a hell of alot cheaper but the disadvantages are obvious. But what is more free than a intra state on a bike?

Latrinsorm
06-02-2005, 09:45 PM
You always have someplace to sleep in a car. Not so much on a motorcycle. I realize you could just military it up, but that's more stuff you'd have to pack.

Good luck. :)

Artha
06-02-2005, 10:11 PM
You need to document this somehow. Electronically if possible (and I'm not even going to pretend it's because I don't want to see how this turns out). There's someone else doing something sort of like this, I'll see if I can find his blog. You might be able to glean something of what it'll be like from it.