PDA

View Full Version : About Time for a Stand...

Clove
10-15-2007, 01:24 PM
http://www.funniez.net/funnynews/1-latest-news/76-CampaignAgainstSigns

English campaigners against senseless signs

On September, 2007.

London campaigners who fight for the effective use of English attacked a growing tendency for obvious and senseless public information posters and instuctions, such as a police sign: "Don't Commit Crime."
"They assume a lack of intelligence on the part of the reader - says their spokeswoman. 'Do not commit crime. Pay for your fuel' is hardly a deterrent to a criminal who has every intention of driving off without paying."
The Plain English Campaign cited other examples including:
"Warning: Platform ends here" on the end of rail station platforms,
"May cause drowsiness" on sleeping pills,
"Warning: contains nuts" labelled on packets of nuts,
"Caution: water on road during rain"
"May irritate eyes" on a can of self-defence pepper spray,
"Do not open door while airborne except in emergency" on emergency exit doors in planes,
"Removing the wheel can influence the performance of the bicycle" from a Dutch bicycle manual,
"Do not iron clothes on body" from packaging on a steam iron,
Supermarket Tesco - which also warns shoppers that cream contains milk and that salted butter contains milk and salt - defended itself, saying it gave customers "all the possible information they should need."
The Plain English Campaign said politicians were also guilty of the trend.
"Politicians declaring 'We are taking the terrorist threat very seriously', or 'We are committed to improving the health service' is just rhetoric," he said.
He added: "Our advice would be say what you need to plainly and simply then stop. If nothing needs to be said, say nothing."

Skeeter
10-15-2007, 01:33 PM
It's all about CYA so you don't get sued.

Numbers
10-15-2007, 01:37 PM
It's idiot insurance. Kind of like that Darwinian woman who spilled the McDonald's coffee on her lap and won millions. Anyone in their right mind should have told her, "No shit coffee's hot, you stupid bitch."

Now McDonald's has to put "CAUTION! HOT!" on all their coffee cups, because of dumbasses who have a few too many chromosomes.

CrystalTears
10-15-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm not going to get into a tangent about the McDonald's lawsuit, but the coffee WAS too hot.

However to stay on topic, I find it funny when you see Apple Nut muffins for sale on a stand and see a sign next to them that says "contains nuts". Oh and the tag on the hair dryer that says not to use it in the shower.

There's your sign.

Methais
10-15-2007, 01:49 PM
I love the sign at the end.

http://www.funniez.net/images/news/sharp_edge_sign.jpg

Clove
10-15-2007, 02:25 PM
It's idiot insurance. Kind of like that Darwinian woman who spilled the McDonald's coffee on her lap and won millions. Anyone in their right mind should have told her, "No shit coffee's hot, you stupid bitch."

Now McDonald's has to put "CAUTION! HOT!" on all their coffee cups, because of dumbasses who have a few too many chromosomes.

Always with the Stella Award:

1) The coffee temperature was inherently dangerous if it could cause 2nd and 3rd degree burns. What if it had been knocked off a counter onto a child?

2) Prior to her lawsuit, Stella offered to settle 3 times; her initial settlement offer was for 20k (she had approx. 12k in medical bills from the accident) - McDonald's counter-offered her 800 dollars. McDonald's refused two subsequent settlement offers.

3) The jury did find Stella 20% responsible for the accident.

4) Stella's actual award was 640k although the jury awarded her 2.7 million in punitive damages that was reduced to 480k by the judge.

5) The case was appealed by McDonald's until both parties settled out of court in 1994 for an undisclosed amount (translation: less than 640k).

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-15-2007, 02:51 PM
One of my chef instructor's was sued by a woman who paid her to make peanut brittle, and she did, and then the lady ATE the Peanut brittle and had an allergic reaction. She was allergic to peanuts but didn't seem to understand that peanut brittle had peanuts in it? Hell if I know- anyway, the packaging my chef instructor gave to the lady did NOT have a "warning: contains nuts" label on it. Luckily the lady did not win, but still- this is why people put stupid labels on their stuff, they have to cover their asses in this sue happy world.

Clove
10-15-2007, 02:55 PM
That's why I have all my ammunition etched with "CAUTION: DO NOT OBSTRUCT"

Methais
10-15-2007, 03:39 PM
One of my chef instructor's was sued by a woman who paid her to make peanut brittle, and she did, and then the lady ATE the Peanut brittle and had an allergic reaction. She was allergic to peanuts but didn't seem to understand that peanut brittle had peanuts in it? Hell if I know- anyway, the packaging my chef instructor gave to the lady did NOT have a "warning: contains nuts" label on it. Luckily the lady did not win, but still- this is why people put stupid labels on their stuff, they have to cover their asses in this sue happy world.

All businesses or food products should just put up a sign or label that says ENTER/EAT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Jorddyn
10-15-2007, 04:58 PM
All businesses or food products should just put up a sign or label that says ENTER/EAT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

... until someone switches the signs.

Methais
10-15-2007, 06:29 PM
... until someone switches the signs.

Call it EAT AT YOUR OWN RISK Restaurant

Celephais
10-16-2007, 12:58 PM
ROFL, some CA activists are trying to get iPhones taken off the market in CA because the earphone wiring is made from a chemical that can cause birth defects... They want a warning label on iPhones that inform you that eating it can cause birth defects.

Methais
10-16-2007, 01:13 PM
ROFL, some CA activists are trying to get iPhones taken off the market in CA because the earphone wiring is made from a chemical that can cause birth defects... They want a warning label on iPhones that inform you that eating it can cause birth defects.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a162/DoyleHargraves/8468a5a1-1.gif

Clove
10-16-2007, 01:23 PM

Heh. Would serve them right if Apple responded: No problem, we'll put the warning label on as soon as we're finished relocating our headquarters to Seattle.

Celephais
10-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Heh. Would serve them right if Apple responded: No problem, we'll put the warning label on as soon as we're finished relocating our headquarters to Seattle.
The same activist organization (CEH?) posted some ratings of greenness of companies, and Apple had their worst rating in the 2s (I want to say 2.3, but I'm not pulling the article back up) on a 1-10 scale. Odds are they're just doing this to be dicks to Apple.

Warriorbird
10-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Yeah. Apple's not exactly high on the "evil polluters" list.

Clove
10-16-2007, 01:29 PM
The same activist organization (CEH?) posted some ratings of greenness of companies, and Apple had their worst rating in the 2s (I want to say 2.3, but I'm not pulling the article back up) on a 1-10 scale. Odds are they're just doing this to be dicks to Apple.

Well of course they're not very green because it's a MacIntosh not a Granny Smith! Okay probably only funny to me because my wife has been on an apple-a-day kick for the past three months.

Celephais
10-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Yeah. Apple's not exactly high on the "evil polluters" list.

Last year, Greenpeace gave Apple a 2.7 rating on it's 1-10 scale of "greenness", behind all other major corporations in the report.
Other way around... they're saying Apple IS evil.

Warriorbird
10-16-2007, 01:50 PM
http://www.apple.com/hotnews/agreenerapple/

Celephais
10-16-2007, 02:05 PM
http://www.apple.com/hotnews/agreenerapple/
Lets try a source that's not apple...

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=hardware_and_devices&articleId=9042579&taxonomyId=140&intsrc=kc_top

Or how about greenpeace itself...
http://www.greenpeace.org/apple/itox.html

The article (first link) says greenpeaces most recent rating put Apple at 5.3... 2nd to last place in the category (ahead of Panasonic).

CrystalTears
10-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Okay so don't eat your phone but eat more apples. Lesson learned.

ELO
10-16-2007, 02:15 PM
My favorite "No Shit" sign I've seen was in a Greyhound bus station in Savanna, GA. The pillars on the loading dock had signs on them saying, "Caution: Stationary Pillars."

Some Rogue
10-16-2007, 03:08 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64/lrenzo2/sign.jpg

Clove
10-16-2007, 03:09 PM
I like this one. Australians have style....

http://www.break-fresh-ground.com/photos/785/673/35/42415.jpg

Hulkein
10-16-2007, 03:11 PM

I'm pretty sure her coffee was well beyond the normal temperature range for even hot coffee.

Why would anyone get mad that someone won money from McDonald's? Good for her.

Jorddyn
10-16-2007, 03:14 PM

And there, my friends, is the one word that explains what is wrong with the entire system of lawsuits.

Clove
10-16-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm pretty sure her coffee was well beyond the normal temperature range for even hot coffee.

Nobody... unless you're in McDonald's public relations department.

Clove
10-16-2007, 03:21 PM
And the winning sign is....

http://blog.constructionlawblog.net/archives/AussieConstructionSign%20(2).jpg

Numbers
10-16-2007, 03:53 PM

Whether her coffee was normal coffee temperature or "holy shit my vagina's on fire!" temperature, she would have sued anyway.

Coffee's hot. Don't put coffee on your lap. If you're in a position where you can spill coffee in your lap, move the coffee as far away from your lap as possible.

It's like walking in Central Park during a thunderstorm, going under a tree for shelter, and then suing the city when your ass gets hit by lightning.

Clove
10-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Whether her coffee was normal coffee temperature or "holy shit my vagina's on fire!" temperature, she would have sued anyway.

Coffee's hot. Don't put coffee on your lap. If you're in a position where you can spill coffee in your lap, move the coffee as far away from your lap as possible.

It's like walking in Central Park during a thunderstorm, going under a tree for shelter, and then suing the city when your ass gets hit by lightning.

Can you honestly say that food served at a temperature hot enough to give you second and third degree burns is safe? What color is the sky on your world? I've spilt lots of hot coffee and tea due to my own stupidity and purely by unavoidable accident; often I received MINOR burns. Could this be because the coffee wasn't too hot?

Would it have been alright for her to sue if the employee had accidently dumped the coffee on her lap in the drive-thru and caused the 2nd and 3rd degree burns? If so, would you say the damage resulted because the employee was careless... or BECAUSE THE FUCKING COFFEE WAS TOO FUCKING HOT BECAUSE IF IT HADN'T BEEN THE EMPLOYEE COULD HAVE DUMPED GALLON OF IT ON HER AND IT WOULDN'T HAVE DONE SHIT.

FFS.

Hulkein
10-16-2007, 06:51 PM

That really is just an opinion.

I'll take the risk and put coffee in my lap so long as I know it won't melt my skin if it spills.

No it's not.