PDA

View Full Version : Two Foraging Q:

Stanley Burrell
10-10-2007, 12:42 PM
I wasn't sure whether to post this in the mechanics folder or not, my bad otherwise:

DOES KNEELING HELP ME FIND SHIT QUICKER?

Also -- Two open hands > one?

Thank you :)

CrystalTears
10-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Yes kneeling helps, along with having two open hands.

Stanley Burrell
10-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Muchas gracias.

CrystalTears
10-10-2007, 12:56 PM
De nalgas. ;)

Although I will note that if you're playing a halfing or gnome, the kneeling isn't as necessary, seeing as those races are so close to the ground already.

Stanley Burrell
10-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Although I will note that if you're playing a halfing or gnome, the kneeling isn't as necessary, seeing as those races are so close to the ground already.

(For real?)

CrystalTears
10-10-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm not sure, no. Just saying that as I play a halfling, I haven't noticed much of a difference when kneeling, however my half-elf can't find squat without kneeling first.

Izzy
10-10-2007, 08:58 PM
I'm not sure, no. Just saying that as I play a halfling, I haven't noticed much of a difference when kneeling, however my half-elf can't find squat without kneeling first.

Do you actually know this to be true? Or have you, like me, always been told that kneeling helps and just accept it to be true? I don't mean to say you're wrong or anything, just curious if you (or anyone) have (has) any actual proof. It seems logical enough, but that often doesn't matter when it comes to gemstone.

Stanley Burrell
10-10-2007, 09:01 PM
I think she basically said it right there that she wasn't totally sure, heh.

All I know is that I want/it is my destiny to be a foraging ninja.

CrystalTears
10-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Not completely, 100% totally for sure, no. However I've read it and I've somewhat tested it. I didn't notice much of a difference with my halfling, however as my rather tall half-elf, if she kneels she has better chances at successful finds.

Izzy
10-10-2007, 10:02 PM
I think she basically said it right there that she wasn't totally sure, heh.
I probably used the wrong quote when I posed my question.
My request for specific proof was actually supposed to be directed at kneeling in general, not at halflings/gnomes not needing to kneel. She said she wasn't sure about the latter, if I read her post correctly. :)

Stanley Burrell
10-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Ah.

B2
10-12-2007, 10:19 AM
I had a few cusp rolls today that proved this point. Here they are...

Foraging, in offensive, kneeling, with one free hand:

KR>forage blue poppy
d100(Open): 49
You forage around but find nothing of interest.
Roundtime: 6 sec.

KR>stow all
You put a blue poppy in your slate blue wool burnoose.
K>

Foraging, in offensive, kneeling, with two free hands:

KR>forage blue poppy
d100(Open): 44
You forage briefly and manage to find a blue poppy!

Standing, offensive, two free hands:

>forage blue poppy
d100(Open): 47
Roundtime: 7 sec.

Standing, Defensive, two free hands:
d100(Open): 60

(My lowest successful roll was then 72, but I think that something in the 60s would have worked)

So you can see that kneeling with two hands free gives you a lower threshold than kneeling with one hand free, and a much lower threshold than standing.

I'll have to get more mid-range rolls to test if offensive-defensive matters, but I'm fairly sure answer=yes.

~Becca

Some Rogue
10-12-2007, 10:37 AM
The thing that bugs me is when I roll say mid 70's and not find anything, then forage again with a roll in the upper 60's and find something.

Celephais
10-12-2007, 10:38 AM
I've certainly seen kneeling to be beneficial... I've foraged, not found anything, kneeled, rolled lower (not much) and found what I was looking for. But keep in mind that once you find something in a room I believe the threshold increases... and then obviously the room can deplete after a few findings.

So to really "test" stances you'll need to let a room refresh or go to another room, but be careful that the room itself isn't part of the equation... It almost really needs to be a "get a failure in defensive, get a success in offensive with a lower roll" ... not the other way around.

B2
10-12-2007, 11:48 AM
The 44 was actually the 5th forage (flora found) in the room...the 47 and the 60 were the first in the second room.

I wondered if I should have included that.

I find that casting light, with my empath, helps as well.

~Becca

Drakam
10-16-2007, 12:48 AM
I can forage standing up with my bow in my hand and still find the herbs I'm looking for with little problems. the only times I can't find one is when I roll negative number of single digit. But then I'm 1x in survival.

TheEschaton
10-16-2007, 09:01 AM
Ha, if anyone needs help, I have an empath specifically for foraging. Finds stuff on -4 rolls for all my AG bounties.

Stanley Burrell
10-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Ha, if anyone needs help, I have an empath specifically for foraging. Finds stuff on -4 rolls for all my AG bounties.

...How?

TheEschaton
10-16-2007, 09:54 AM
I dunno. All I know is that kneeling, with empty hands, I've always found AG foragables on a positive roll, even supposedly tough things like sovyn clove. I even found sovyn clove on a -4 roll.