PDA

View Full Version : Official: Status of Clerics

Fallen
10-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Status of Clerics

Hi, all. I just wanted to touch base and let you all know I'm still here even though I haven't been posting in this topic very frequently of late. I've been working on a lot of creature related things lately and clerics have been, unfortunately, at the back of my mind. I'd like to change that, though, so here I go.

301 Updates
In its current form, I have a lot of problems with Prayer of Holding. The mana cost is definitely too high and scales too fast. Currently, 301's mana cost is more expensive than Bind for a large level range. We'll be moving 301's mana cost to a summation cost based on the level of the target. The mana cost will be significantly lower for all levels (except level 1) and will never cost more than Bind's mana cost for the same target.

The factors for duration are odd, to say the least. Currently, duration is based primarily on level of the caster, rather than level difference and warding margin has barely any effect. This will be changing.

Additionally, the ability to imbed 301 into gems at the cost of 1 mana per charge when the spell costs much more mana when cast from the Cleric is an inconsistency that needs to be remedied. Magic items with Sleep have had this situation mitigated for a long time now, but when Holy Receptacle was released, 301 was merely overlooked. We're unsatisfied with Sleep's solution to deal with this situation, too (if you're curious what it is, read the documentation on the website - it's weird). Thus, we're going to be changing 301 to count as a higher level spell for purposes of imbedding and recharging.

Overall, the changes should go a long way to make the spell more useful to a wider range of clerics as well as bring the spell up to modern design paradigms. Against the undead, Prayer of Holding will become the spell of choice for Clerics (over Bind).

Sanctuary Updates
After the 301 updates, I will be doing a major overhaul of sanctuaries. What exactly this entails isn't fully decided and I can't release that much information yet, but here's what I can say: 220 will be getting deity specific room descriptions based on the CONVERT status of the caster. GM Thandiwe has been kind enough to write those descriptions for me.

Other Projects
On the horizon, we still have Alchemy Phase II and the Spiritual Lore Review. Both will be significant improvements to the Cleric profession. More information on those will come in due time.

Call to Action
More than anything, this post is to ask for your help. Let me know what your concerns are about the Cleric profession. Specifically, I would like to see if there are any little things that have been bugging you that would likely be a quick fix on my part. A good example would be the deity-based CHANT from earlier this summer. Let me know.

= - GM Oscuro - =

Empath/Cleric Team

TheEschaton
10-08-2007, 03:37 PM
So, as usual, lots of updates to a spell half of all clerics can't use if they're Bane aligned. Unless I'm missing something, and Bane aligned clerics can hold living things.

-TheE-

Makkah
10-08-2007, 03:40 PM
I thought only 302 was affected by Pantheon (Bane/Smith)

TheEschaton
10-08-2007, 03:54 PM
That's what I'm saying. 301 only works for undead, so any cleric aligned to Bane and therefore hunts living things, can't use it.

-TheE-

Insodus
10-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Unlikely, since 501 works on living and not undead. Nonetheless I agree with you, both spells should work on all critters, especially at their current (ridiculous) mana costs.

Celephais
10-08-2007, 04:13 PM
I can't imagine anyone actually hunting with 501... I use it occasionally if I'm messing around, but for the mana cost it's just not worth using something more potent that will injure and knock them down.

AestheticDeath
10-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Yeah its kinda funny when a bards level 5 sleep spell costs less than a wizards level 1 sleep spell.

I seriously HATE all the staggered costs for spells. It stupid. Confusing. And unneeded.

Your spells shouldn't grow in costs just because you are better able to control your spells. Calling a lightning bolt down on a hughmungo boss critter does't costs any more mana or effort than calling it down on a rock.

Why should sleep or any other spell vary in costs based on what your aiming it at?

They are taking the mechanics end way too far.

Insodus
10-08-2007, 04:18 PM
I can't imagine anyone actually hunting with 501... I use it occasionally if I'm messing around, but for the mana cost it's just not worth using something more potent that will injure and knock them down.

Exactly, such is the case with 301. Both spells need a revisit.

Stunseed
10-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Meh, I'm kinda in favor of increased mana for increased benefit in defensive spells.

Offensive as well, in regards to CHANNEL spells. Want more? Put more into it.

Latrinsorm
10-08-2007, 04:32 PM
220 will be getting deity specific room descriptions based on the CONVERT status of the caster.Implication: he expects empaths to be hybridized (and therefore monks to be out) by the time he finishes. INTRUIGING, STAR FOX.

AestheticDeath
10-08-2007, 04:41 PM
that would be nice

Makkah
10-08-2007, 05:21 PM
WANT ME SOME MONKS

Gan
10-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Thats good news for my cleric.

ViridianAsp
10-08-2007, 10:34 PM
So, as usual, lots of updates to a spell half of all clerics can't use if they're Bane aligned. Unless I'm missing something, and Bane aligned clerics can hold living things.

-TheE-

Actually, for me it's never worked against the living, I've think I've tried it with 301. It would be nice if they made it a spell for ALL clerics. Not just the ones who can smite.

I always thought the same thing with blessing, Hadya won't bless unless of course, she wants something in return.

Bane clerics kind of get the shaft when it comes to the cleric circle.

Sean
10-09-2007, 02:17 AM
Not really... why would a smite cleric really be using 301 anyway? to swing? to buy time? bolt? those things all apply to bane clerics too. 301 is just a stupid spell when it comes down to it. I can't see a change in mana cost making it anymore desirable a spell.

Aaysia
10-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Sanctuary Updates
After the 301 updates, I will be doing a major overhaul of sanctuaries. What exactly this entails isn't fully decided and I can't release that much information yet, but here's what I can say: 220 will be getting deity specific room descriptions based on the CONVERT status of the caster. GM Thandiwe has been kind enough to write those descriptions for me.

YAY. Sure it won't be done for ages...but I'm looking forward to the different descriptions.

Fallen
10-09-2007, 09:14 AM
Me too. I think this is very cool. However, I believe what is up in the air is the current (near) infallibility of the spell 213. That is just my opinion.

Gan
10-09-2007, 09:34 AM
I can see 301 being used in the younger years (up through 30's) since I use it with mine while swinging a blunt. Mana capacity is still a primary issue, and so is CS/TD with the things that I hunt. Ergo, I tend to use my weapon more than I use 302 simply because the mana runs out quickly.

Having it cost less mana will mean that I use it more than I normally do.

Rue
10-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Your spells shouldn't grow in costs just because you are better able to control your spells. Calling a lightning bolt down on a hughmungo boss critter does't costs any more mana or effort than calling it down on a rock.

I can understand it costing more at some point. At the lower levels casting at a rock can take alot of focus, the higher in skill, less. But to hit a so called 'boss critter' it will take more to draw from to make sure it is toast.

Sanctuary Updates

Sounds intersting, I love the personalization of diety choice.

Call to Action
More than anything, this post is to ask for your help. Let me know what your concerns are about the Cleric profession. Specifically, I would like to see if there are any little things that have been bugging you that would likely be a quick fix on my part. A good example would be the deity-based CHANT from earlier this summer. Let me know.

Most things are not quick fixes. For example making it so Cleric's have a reason to join the Cleric Guild besides nice shopping.

To be honest, I have never even tried to use 301 to bind critters. I have taken to 214, or 316 in swarms. Apparently teaching one-self to be a cleric has its disadvantages. Perhaps finding an Elder Cleric to show IC'ly how spells work and what is best for what situations would be something to place in the Guild works. Just throwing something out there.

WANT ME SOME MONKS
Get back over to the monk folder and yell there.

__________________________________________________ ________

The Dungeon master shall bring forth your greatest fears,your demons will awaken, look within your pain seek peace.

Shifted
10-15-2007, 12:47 PM
still waiting on 320 :(

and i'm gonna kinda miss being able to have a healer fog to me when i can't cast from those evil arm wounds.