PDA

View Full Version : WTB a lump of grey ambergris

Beguiler
10-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Haven't had any luck finding any on my own. Willing to pay very well for 6-9 lumps of the stuff.

PM me, plz

CrystalTears
10-03-2007, 09:40 AM
What is that used for? I have to admit, it's always an item I would trash with the box or never pick up in a hunt. I'm not much into whale poo. :D

Elvenlady
10-03-2007, 10:12 AM
It's an ingredient in the cure potion. You need three of them and ironically for being what is essentially a lump of shit , it's the hardest damn thing to find!

Martaigne
10-03-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm not much into whale poo. :D

It's actually whale vomit.

[/know-it-all]

Tolwynn
10-03-2007, 10:38 AM
It's also a component of some women's perfumes, hence the value attributed to it.

[/ditto]

Elvenlady
10-03-2007, 10:40 AM
It's also a component of some women's perfumes, hence the value attributed to it.

Did not know that ... ewww!

Sean of the Thread
10-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Leon Wright and his wife took home a 14.75kg lump of ambergris, found in the innards of sperm whales and used in perfumes after it has been vomited up.

Sought after because of its rarity, ambergris can float on the ocean for years before washing ashore.

Worth up to $20 a gram, Mr Wright's find on a South Australian beach could net his family US$295,000 (£165,300).

300K??!?!?! FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Martaigne
10-03-2007, 10:49 AM
And, just to be helpful, I found this crap by the boatload in River's Rest.

Fallen
10-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Beguiler, if you can wait until Friday, Evarin plans on brewing the cure then. If you can score more Ambergris, I can brew a second batch, possibly a third.

Beguiler
10-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks, I can hang in there, have two chars needing the cure. I actually have all the components for the cure except the ambergris. Will gratefully accept 'cure', and happy to turn over components if you wish to make more, just still need that lovely whale puke.

RR? eeeew!!!! Nice place, nice folks, but eeeew!!! <grin>

CrystalTears
10-03-2007, 11:04 AM
You find it a lot in the beaches and Foggy Valley of Solhaven.

Beguiler
10-03-2007, 11:48 AM
in about three evenings of hunting those areas, haven't found any grey ambergris, one lump of black. So, I'm sure it's out there, I'm just not finding it. Thus the LTB, if someone is finding it and not making the cure, I'm buying. Better than throwing it away, neh?

CrystalTears
10-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Well now that I know, I'll make an effort to hang onto them. I'll let you know if I find any.

Nilandia
10-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Not sure if you're aware, Beguiler, but each batch of the cure makes 4 doses, so you'd only need 3 bits of ambergris if you just want your two characters cured.

Gretchen

Beguiler
10-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Heh. Yes, I'm aware. I guess I want to cover my bets, in case I blow one, can try again. If I can make more than one, I'll make the others available to those who need it. Not an awful lot of the cure out there for folks not doing alchemy. I'll take what I can get, certainly. Thanks, Nilandia

Elvenlady
10-03-2007, 02:00 PM
I had no luck finding it in RR at all. Found all mine on the beaches in Solhaven or in the Bog. Try the shelfaes, Beguiler, they drop tons of boxes so it increases the odds.

Sean of the Thread
10-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Bah I was all ready to go check the beaches for this shit after the next storm IRL and read that it's against the law. What a crock of shit that you can't possess washed up whale vomit.

Stanley Burrell
10-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Bah I was all ready to go check the beaches for this shit after the next storm IRL and read that it's against the law. What a crock of shit that you can't possess washed up whale vomit.

I know you have me on iggy, but seriously:

:wtf:

There were so many so many looking-for-pieces-of-fallen-off jewelry happywads going around the beaches off of Lil' Neck. I guess it's government-approved as long as it doesn't interfere with ... the economic aspects of marine wildlife preservation.

You should get a head start on harvesting beach glass for tetanus crops before the CDC runs out of much-coveted boosters.

Stanley Burrell
10-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Oh. And skeletal warriors, bog trolls and lesser wights right before Oteska's drop these the most often.

Edited to add: I haven't tried hisskras, but if there's an RP element that somehow goes into their drop rate (despite their [ambergreases'] being pelts and not newly-coded location-specific alchemy drops) but maybe check there. Yeah :shrug:

TheEschaton
10-03-2007, 03:16 PM
We actually studied ambergris in a property hypo - if it's floating at sea, how much control do you have to exert over it before you can be said to have title?

-TheE-

Sean of the Thread
10-03-2007, 03:17 PM
We actually studied ambergris in a property hypo - if it's floating at sea, how much control do you have to exert over it before you can be said to have title?

-TheE-

Within international water limits or?

TheEschaton
10-03-2007, 03:20 PM
In international waters, obvi.

Stanley Burrell
10-03-2007, 03:21 PM

-TheE-

I'd say a whale is an unmarked vessel.

Sean of the Thread
10-03-2007, 03:45 PM
In international waters, obvi.

That's what I thought but how fucking hard would it be to find/harvest for crying out loud.

Even still it's illegal to possess buy or sell in the U.S.A. which I find fucking stupid.

Beguiler
10-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks, Elvenlady, shelfae it is, hopefully ftw...