PDA

View Full Version : Roaters

Cademus
10-02-2007, 11:19 AM
I'am above their level and fully doubled in CM/Dodge...and yet.

You feel a rumble come from beneath your feet.
Dirt and rock explode from the ground beneath you as a roa'ter erupts from underground and crashes onto the surface!
Rocks and dirt pelt you as you are thrown into the air!
... 60 points of damage!
Blow to back crushes your spinal column.
Talk about no backbone!
The silvery luminescence fades from around you.
You feel less confident.
The bright luminescence fades from around you.
The shimmering multicolored sphere fades from around you.
The glowing specks of energy surrounding you suddenly shoot off in all directions, then quickly fade away.
Your SIGN OF DEFENDING is no longer effective.
Your SIGN OF STRIKING is no longer effective.
Your SIGN OF SMITING is no longer effective.
The brilliant luminescence fades from around you.
You become solid again.
Your SIGN OF WARDING is no longer effective.
You feel your extra strength departing.
Your SIGN OF SWORDS is no longer effective.
Your SIGN OF SHIELDS is no longer effective.

Martaigne
10-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Encumbrance? Armor penalty?

Anebriated
10-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Sometimes you just get unlucky. My warrior would hunt those and with 2x dodge/CM, unencumbered and all that good stuff I would still get hit once in awhile.

Martaigne
10-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Yep, that too.

Cademus
10-02-2007, 11:37 AM
I'm unencumbered and got 80 ranks in armor use (fully trained for MBP). Still no use... maybe stance matters?

Donquix
10-02-2007, 11:42 AM
on a lot of maneuver attacks, if i recall, being in offensive is better than being in defensive.

Also, i don't even know if dodge is taken into account for roater attacks. physical training is, rather heavily. It is for a lot of maneuvers, as per GMs. (no post handy to cite, but they've said it multiple times.)

Savageheart
10-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Pretend it's weather...

Sometimes you just get shit luck. Worms are one of those things.

Savageheart
10-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Pretend it's weather...

Sometimes you just get shit luck. Worms are one of those things where when ask why you die, the game responds with because I said so.

Gan
10-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Stance is a big factor in my opinion. Almost as much as encumbrance is.

I've seen roa'ters take out capped characters who were trained in CM and light on their feet.

Roa'ters are the most dangerous critter in the game IMO, thank God there's not a capped version to deal with (except in invasions).

Rolis
10-02-2007, 12:14 PM
just being fully doubled in CM doesnt make anyone exempt from manuever attacks.. you are gonna have times where a roa'ter gets really lucky and you get not so lucky and you gonna bite it. The randomness in the game man...

Anebriated
10-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Roa'ters are the most dangerous critter in the game IMO, thank God there's not a capped version to deal with (except in invasions).

minotaur's imo.

Skeeter
10-02-2007, 02:29 PM
those cheater maneuver attacks are one of the things that drove me away from the game.

Gan
10-02-2007, 04:10 PM
minotaur's imo.

You can usually run from minotaurs. Trying that with a roa'ter (without abusing game mechanics) thats dove underground and its not happening unless you fog or sanct (minor or major).

Minotaurs cant suprise ambush you, unlike the roa'ter attack with no preamble rumble.

Otherwise I'd agree with you.

Anebriated
10-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Ive had the warriors just roll into the room and kill me before iirc.

Plus with roa'ter if you are hunting em in varunar anyway you can just run on the other side of the grass if you are really worried.

Donquix
10-02-2007, 04:32 PM
just crossing the drawbridges is enough.

Gan
10-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Plus with roa'ter if you are hunting em in varunar anyway you can just run on the other side of the grass if you are really worried.

I consider that mechanics abuse since there's a barrier that prevents them from following.

Maybe thats just me.

(ps. by saying thats mechanics abuse doesnt mean that I have not done it before)

Much like logging out when my character got stuck in the pool/water on the way to OTF to keep from drowning. (when you log back on your character is back on land) ;)

:shrug:

Gan
10-02-2007, 04:55 PM
just crossing the drawbridges is enough.

They'll follow you to the grass. btw

Methais
10-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Call it a fumble and save yourself the headache.

Donquix
10-02-2007, 06:20 PM
They'll follow you to the grass. btw

Well they must not like you. Because in a combined probally 40 levels hunting varunar between 3 or 4 different characters i've always crossed the draw bridge, and never have I been roa'tered after doing so.

also, it's not mechanics abuse, i'm pretty sure it's intended. You just crossed a drawbridge, assume the moat was deeper than the roa'ter wanted to dig.

Gan
10-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Well they must not like you. Because in a combined probally 40 levels hunting varunar between 3 or 4 different characters i've always crossed the draw bridge, and never have I been roa'tered after doing so.

also, it's not mechanics abuse, i'm pretty sure it's intended. You just crossed a drawbridge, assume the moat was deeper than the roa'ter wanted to dig.

I'm on my 3rd character hunting through Varunar. Everytime I've decided to run, or when I'm heading into Varunar I've either had them follow me outside the outer drawbridge or I've had to kill one outside the outer drawbridge. In fact, if you were to add up the time in all the hunting areas from rats to OTF, I've spent the most hours (second to OTF) in Varunar. There's no better place for a 30ish level character to gain favor, the roa'ter skins are sick if you get a trained skinner to get the skins, and the boxes that are dropped are pretty good. In fact, I remember when I used to cash hunt the monks in the inner ward simply because the gem drops were insane when the treasure system refreshed. I've pretty much been in Varunar since right after Solhaven opened.

Perhaps you're just mistaken.

Gan
10-02-2007, 08:25 PM
>go draw
[Castle Varunar, Barbican]
The stone barbican surrounds you, with a massive portcullis standing at each end. The walls are covered with scorching and brownish stains that might be blood. Above you, numerous murder holes have been cut into the ceiling and you can imagine the destruction that might have rained down on any invader unlucky enough to find themselves trapped between the closed gates. To the north you see the inner drawbridge spanning the castle moat. To the south you see the outer drawbridge.
Obvious paths: south
>s
s
[Castle, Outer Drawbridge]
You are on an iron banded, fel wood drawbridge. Looking east and west you see the defensive ditch that surrounds the castle. In the ditch you see remnants of broken siege engines, rusted shields, and the occasional bit of sun-bleached bone. To the north you see the barbican.
Obvious paths: north
>You can't go there.
>go draw
[Castle Varunar, Approach] [OUTER DRAWBRIDGE]
Looking north you see a great castle. Once a bastion of justice on the caravan route, it now appears empty and abandoned. A sturdy iron-banded fel wood drawbridge sits lowered and spans a large ditch that surrounds the castle.
Obvious paths: south
>s
s
You feel the ground shake violently and hear something move from deep underneath your feet.
>[Plateau, Abandoned Road]
The last signs of the ancient road are swallowed up by the grassland, but northward, against the backdrop of Zeltoph Mountain, the angled lines of peaked roofs and crenellated turrets can be seen.
Obvious paths: north, southwest
>
You can't go there.
>sw
[Plateau, Abandoned Road]
A rocky spur of Zeltoph Mountain reaches down from the north, forcing the road tight against the stream's bank. Beyond the spur the road turns northeast, where strangely symmetrical formations are just visible above the intervening ridge.
Obvious paths: northeast, west

__________________________________________________ _____

Definately past the outer drawbridge, seems the cutoff for one buried is past the first room after the outer drawbridge.

Waited a moment then went back in:

Dirt and rock explode from the ground beneath you as a roa'ter erupts from underground and crashes onto the surface!
You make a stunning maneuver in the air avoiding the majority of the debris and landing on your feet!
... 35 points of damage!
Massive blow removes your right forearm at the elbow!
You are stunned for 6 rounds!
You come crashing back into the ground!
... 20 points of damage!
Good blow to your chest!
A roa'ter charges at you!
AS: +244 vs DS: +185 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +48 = +142
... and hits for 6 points of damage!
Hit glances off your hip.

Instant eruption. Then two more slid in.

I wonder if any GM's were/are reading this thread...

:thinking:

Donquix
10-02-2007, 08:31 PM
seems the cutoff for one buried is past the first room after the outer drawbridge.

well, i knew you didn't have to go to the grass.

use of the location verb explains this. Location at the drawbridge exit still returns varunar

location 1 south returns zeltoph. :)

i knew you didn't have to go passed the grass though :)

Bobmuhthol
10-02-2007, 08:34 PM
There have been instances of roa'ters following people to the Caravansary or whatever that place was called.

Anebriated
10-02-2007, 08:36 PM

use of the location verb explains this. Location at the drawbridge exit still returns varunar

Yeah I know you dont have to go through the grass but instead of trying to explain to people looking for something to nitpick that you have to go to at least the area between the grass and the drawbridge I decided to be lazy and just say the grass.

Gan
10-02-2007, 08:38 PM

Nobody ever said they go past the grass, until Bob just chimed in.

I've always seen them follow me underground past the outer drawbridge and I've also seen them follow me in the open further than that... or just wandering around between the outer drawbridge and the grass.

Because in a combined probally 40 levels hunting varunar between 3 or 4 different characters i've always crossed the draw bridge, and never have I been roa'tered after doing so.

Thanks for clarifying.

GuildRat
10-02-2007, 09:06 PM
One south of the drawbridge is definitely safe, if you wait long enough. I've saved my ass many a time running from burrowers to that spot when I was a volner<gag>. They may rumble, but they won't pop out and hand you your ass.

Stanley Burrell
10-02-2007, 09:14 PM
I stood one south of the caravansary after getting one (a roa'ter) to follow me all the way from Varanur. They won't go past the bridge into Trollfang and you lose your pet Dune worm past that point, though :(

GuildRat
10-02-2007, 09:16 PM
I stood one south of the caravansary after getting one (a roa'ter) to follow me all the way from Varanur. They won't go past the bridge into Trollfang and you lose your pet Dune worm past that point, though :(

Yea, they tend to go home, whereas if you hop back past the drawbridge, they tend to toss you into a heap of rock and snap your head mount or crush your squash.