PDA

View Full Version : Everett to recover

Tsa`ah
09-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Kevin Everett might walk again after all.

The doctor who performed the spinal surgery on Everett told Buffalo TV station WIVB on Tuesday that Everett has voluntary movement of his arms and legs and as a result he is optimistic that Everett will walk again.

Dr. Andrew Cappuccino told WIVB that Everett's sedation levels were lowered on Tuesday, allowing him to respond to verbal commands. WIVB also reported that Everett's latest MRI shows only a small amount of swelling on his spinal cord.

Dr. Barth Green, chairman of the department of neurological surgery at the University of Miami school of medicine, agrees with the prognosis.

"Based on our experience, the fact that he's moving so well, so early after such a catastrophic injury means he will walk again," Green said.

more ... (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014742)

His career is over, but at least the guy didn't end up a quadriplegic. I think his accident is a good argument for neck rolls.

Latrinsorm
09-12-2007, 11:43 AM
wtg Andrew.

Doughboy
09-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Yay for him. I heard about it on the radio this morning. Good news. Those people at the UM school of medicine do some crazy stuff with sports related injuries. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

Anebriated
09-12-2007, 12:17 PM
That is very good news. Its always a humbling experience when something like this happens. I am glad that he is making good progress with his recovery, lets hope it continues.

Stanley Burrell
09-12-2007, 02:12 PM
wtg Andrew.

Word.

And I STILL don't understand how it wasn't just whiplash.

So... Unless someone is decapitated with a pigskin, a lot of sports/exhibition injuries will always be a mystery to me, maybe I need to upgrade to high def.

Tsa`ah
09-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Did you see the footage Stan?

The guy's head was rocked back very violently ... the posterior skull would have made contact with the cervical vertebrae had it not been for his helmet.

Hell, if it weren't for the helmet restricting how far his head could have bent on his neck, he'd be dead.

If he had been wearing a neck roll he would have just been stiff and sore for a week.

Stanley Burrell
09-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Did you see the footage Stan?

Only on low def.

The guy's head was rocked back very violently ... the posterior skull would have made contact with the cervical vertebrae had it not been for his helmet.

Hell, if it weren't for the helmet restricting how far his head could have bent on his neck, he'd be dead.

If he had been wearing a neck roll he would have just been stiff and sore for a week.

There have been lotsa times where guys lead with their head and don't suffer a spinal fracture. I don't understand what (he did wrong?) as opposed to the 99.99% of the other times where a lithe receiver manages to pummel a 400 lb. defensive blocker by doing something somewhat close (looking) to what it looks like it was that f'd up Ev' so badly, even on head to head contact.

Anebriated
09-12-2007, 02:46 PM
bad luck.

Stanley Burrell
09-12-2007, 02:50 PM
bad luck.

Nay.

It is secretly because SIMU made armor padding vary when GSIV rolled in.

:unfair:

Man, I need a nap.

Drew
09-12-2007, 03:41 PM
bad luck.

I've only seen the replay a couple times, but it seems like he made the tackle with his head down. I remember in high school they could not tell us enough to only tackle with your head up, there were about 800 posters in the locker room saying just that.

Anebriated
09-12-2007, 03:44 PM
If you make it to the pro's im pretty sure hes made a few tackles in his day. This one time he goes in with his head down and gets hit square in the noggin. Bad luck.

Skeeter
09-12-2007, 04:22 PM
http://www.sportsmedicineconcepts.com/uploads/images/poster-Proof.gif

Sean of the Thread
09-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Dislocated anything sucks ass.. x1000 for a neck.

Tsa`ah
09-12-2007, 05:38 PM
If by dislocating you mean breaking ... then you would be right.

Sean of the Thread
09-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Maybe you didn't see the live press conference today.

Stay up on current events.. it may help you in the politics folder as well.

Latrinsorm
10-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Update.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3066158

Pretty incredible stuff.

stallion4
10-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Great news for sure. I hope he continues to improve.

Sean of the Thread
10-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Bravo