PDA

View Full Version : Ranged ranger template?

Kyrandos
09-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Im looking to make a ranger who uses either a bow or xbow, skins and has trading skills. Anyone have a good template suggestion, stats as well?

TheEschaton
09-05-2007, 10:56 PM
What's with this template shit?

Celephais
09-05-2007, 11:32 PM
What's with this template shit?
RNI - Retarded Newbie Infusion. Happens every couple months.

Kyrandos
09-06-2007, 12:21 AM
RNI - Retarded Newbie Infusion. Happens every couple months.

Suck a D. I'll bet a trumpet I've been playing longer than you, dweeb.

Celephais
09-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Suck a D. I'll bet a trumpet I've been playing longer than you, dweeb.
Comments like that don't exactly help your situation. Duration of play is not an indicator of intelligence. I was refering to new to these boards, and so far you've certainly played the role of the retarded newbie with what I can only classify as experience; at being a retarded newbie.

Kyrandos
09-06-2007, 02:15 AM
Comments like that don't exactly help your situation. Duration of play is not an indicator of intelligence. I was refering to new to these boards, and so far you've certainly played the role of the retarded newbie with what I can only classify as experience; at being a retarded newbie.

Yawn.

(tosses another thread argument into the "MY POST COUNT TRUMPS YOUR LOLOLOLOLOL basket)

Deathravin
09-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Who says, "suck a D." on PC boards? This ain't Allakhazam, you can curse. So please do. I don't want to see any more pansy shit from you, alright Kyrandos?

CrystalTears
09-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Thing is that you pretty much answered your own question at conception... ranged, first aid and/or survival for skinning, and trading. Everything else is up to your preference as a character, or you can refer to past ranger trainings for suggestions to supplement what you already want.

Kyrandos
09-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Who says, "suck a D." on PC boards? This ain't Allakhazam, you can curse. So please do. I don't want to see any more pansy shit from you, alright Kyrandos?

Deal. Wasn't sure the rules and didn't want to read them.

To rephrase for the guy who got all snooty on me:

"Suck a DICK, fuckwit."

Kyrandos
09-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Thing is that you pretty much answered your own question at conception... ranged, first aid and/or survival for skinning, and trading. Everything else is up to your preference as a character, or you can refer to past ranger trainings for suggestions to supplement what you already want.

constructive, and about what I figured. Thanks

mgoddess
09-06-2007, 05:55 PM
It would help if you said what race you want your ranger to be, too...

Anebriated
09-06-2007, 06:04 PM
2x perception, 1x ambush.

Kyrandos
09-06-2007, 06:50 PM
It would help if you said what race you want your ranger to be, too...

good call. I was going to make Aeleotoi, but it really doesnt matter. Im open with making a giant bow user

mgoddess
09-06-2007, 07:42 PM
FWIW, an Aelotoi can only get up to a 20 STR bonus, while a giant can get 40. This only matters for bow firing RT (which is very nice to have as low as possible).

Here's what I have for stat negative/positive's for each race:

Race STR AGI INF WIS AUR CON DEX DIS LOG INT HPF Max TruMax Sp/Min
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Human +5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 +5 +5 6 150 175 2 / 3
Giant +15 -5 +5 0 -5 +10 -5 0 0 -5 7 200 235 2 / 3
Half-Elf 0 +10 +5 0 0 0 +5 -5 0 0 5 135 155 1 / 2
Sylvan 0 +5 0 0 +5 0 +5 -5 0 0 5 130 155 1 / 2
Dark Elf 0 +5 -5 +5 +10 -5 +10 -10 0 +5 5 120 140 2 / 5
Elf 0 +10 +15 0 +5 0 +5 -20 0 0 5 130 155 2 / 5
Dwarf +10 -10 -10 0 -10 +15 0 +10 +5 0 6 140 180 4 / 5
Halfling -15 +10 -5 0 -5 +10 +15 -5 +5 +10 4 100 135 4 / 5
Aelotoi -5 +10 -5 0 0 0 +5 +5 +5 +5 5 120 145 2 / 3
B-Gnome -15 +10 -5 0 +5 +10 +10 -5 +10 +5 4 90 125 2 / 3
F-Gnome -10 +10 -5 +5 0 +10 +5 +5 +5 0 4 100 135 4 / 5
Half-Krol +10 +5 -5 -5 0 +10 0 0 -10 0 6 165 200 1 / 2
Erithian -5 0 +10 0 0 0 0 +5 +5 0 5 120 145 1 / 2

These numbers are added or subtracted from each stat bonus.
HPF is your Hit Point Factor.
You gain this many HPs when you train in Physical Training, +/- one HP per 10 +/- what your CON Stat Bonus is.
You can gain HPs up to your Max, modified by your CON bonus.
If you have a 100 Constitution, you may have up to TruMax hit points.
Spirit refers to your spirit regen rate while on a node, in spirit/minute. Offnode, it is half this.

Mana recovery is currently 15% of max mana when off node and 25% of max mana when on a node.
Mana Control training will increase that total by a fixed value (BMR), regardless of whether on-node or not.
One sphere of power: BMR = +1 per 10 ranks, rounded down.
Two spheres of power: BMR = Eval higher MC. Eval lower MC, divide by 2 (round down), and add to first result.

Stat at 50 will have bonus of 0 (+/- racial bonuses, see above). Every +/-10 to stat = +/-5 to bonus

For skills training:
-2x ranged & perception
-1x ambush, dodging, survival, first aid, ranger spells, harness power.
-CMan's if you feel like them
-30-60 armor (depending on what armor you want to wear)
-20-ish ranks of climbing & swimming until late game (when you'll probably want more)
-MIU or Arcane Symbols as you want (I usually suggest 20-40 ranks of one or the other... these skills help with holding spells in spellburst areas)
-Spirit Lore (Summoning or Blessing), if you want the bonuses they provide
-Minor Spirit spells if/when you have extra points (get 101 right away, since you have an extra "level" of training when you first roll)

Anebriated
09-06-2007, 07:47 PM
For a ranger id say ditch the CM until later levels. Other than that goddess' writeup is good advice.

for spells, id get 601, 103, 618, 107, by that time you should know better where youd like to be.

I was a big fan of the ranged/brawl route with voln. Made my old ranger nearly unstoppable but I had to give up the survival and first aid to make it all work.

Stunseed
09-06-2007, 07:49 PM
The old ranger was nice, too.

I agree with the 0 CM archer build, until stat growth allows the TP's.

Kyrandos
09-06-2007, 07:55 PM
how do you guys recommend stat placement?

Deathravin
09-20-2007, 06:23 PM
**** The following is meant to be a joke on Kyrandos's inability to take a hint that people are goofing on him ****
one of two ways...

20 in strength, dexterity, agility, aura and discipline
100 in constitution, wisdom, influence, logic, and 160 in intitution

OR

66 in all 10 stats.**** The preceeding was a (very poor and ill-thoughtout) joke on Kyrandos's inability to take a hint that people are goofing on him ****
**** It was mildly funny because it's designed to be very bad for ranged in general. The 160 Int I thought was especially humurous, since the humor was due to the fact no stat can be above 100, let alone 60% higher - but aparently it wasn't noticibly funny to most of the... uniquely minded, FBI-esque fun natzis that patrol PC forums ****

mgoddess
09-21-2007, 01:27 PM
20 in strength, dexterity, agility, aura and discipline
100 in constitution, wisdom, influence, logic, and 160 in intitution

Uh, do you even know what you're talking about?

You can't have 160 in any stat (100's the max).

And those 20's? You know how GIMPED a person with those stats would be? Especially for ranged?

(Unless, of course, you're joking... or you're suggesting these stats for a capped character using a fixstat potion. But I doubt both cases.)

AestheticDeath
09-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Yeah he was spouting off bad numbers on purpose.

Deathravin
09-22-2007, 12:24 PM
I am well aware of the limitations on stats. Man, you just take all the fun out of anything (albiet midly) funny... I'll revise my previous post so people of your... unique mental abilities can understand it better.

mgoddess
09-22-2007, 02:33 PM
LOL

Ok, now it's funny and humorous.

(ETA: I've got a head-cold currently, which is seriously hindering my normally-humor-understanding brain.)

Emran
04-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Thought it'd be easier to just bump this thread instead of making a new one. Was wanting some input for a training plan, I'm looking to go ranged, and maybe brawling (in CoL at the moment, but considering switching to Voln). Right now, this is what I have (at work so can't post stats):

2x ranged
2x perception
2x hiding
2x dodging
1x survival, first aid, combat maneuvers, harness power
24 ranks of SMC
30 ranks of armor for brig

Spells I have 630 and 102

I've noticed some people favor taking brawling along with ranged (I'm guessing to have something for puncture resistant critters, by going with Voln), which seems like a good idea. I don't worry much about skinning (master in CoL already) and a few ranks of first aid to chew herbs is more than enough.

The main questions I have are:
Does it matter whether or not to hide/snipe or just aim from the open with the bow (I have an alt for spellups, so the minor spirit will probably be taken off, also) ?

Also, cmans - how important/necessary is it to train in this skill?

Sean
04-30-2008, 12:09 PM
no ambush?

Emran
04-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Sorry - 2x ambush right now.

mgoddess
04-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Thought it'd be easier to just bump this thread instead of making a new one. Was wanting some input for a training plan, I'm looking to go ranged, and maybe brawling (in CoL at the moment, but considering switching to Voln). Right now, this is what I have (at work so can't post stats):

2x ranged
2x perception
2x hiding
2x dodging
1x survival, first aid, combat maneuvers, harness power
24 ranks of SMC
30 ranks of armor for brig

Spells I have 630 and 102

I've noticed some people favor taking brawling along with ranged (I'm guessing to have something for puncture resistant critters, by going with Voln), which seems like a good idea. I don't worry much about skinning (master in CoL already) and a few ranks of first aid to chew herbs is more than enough.

The main questions I have are:
Does it matter whether or not to hide/snipe or just aim from the open with the bow (I have an alt for spellups, so the minor spirit will probably be taken off, also) ?

Also, cmans - how important/necessary is it to train in this skill?

First thing I see is the 2x in Dodging. As a Ranger, with 618, you shouldn't need to 2x... Dodging is fairly expensive past 1x, and those extra TP's would be useful in other areas (like Brawling or Ambush). CMan's are also another area that you could gain TP's with... Ranger CMan's aren't all that useful, until fairly late in the game I believe (when you can afford to sink lots of TP's and the CMan points into Shadow Mastery and/or MFire).

If you plan on hiding, you'll want Ambush to snipe with, if you plan on switching to Voln, you'll want Brawling for Voln Fu.

Emran
04-30-2008, 12:59 PM
I was looking at (off the top of my head, can't plan too well here at work with no access to the game):

Open aiming:

2x ranged, brawl, perception
1x harness power, survival, ambush and dodge
24 ranks of SMC
30 ranks of armor (maybe 35)
Ranger spells to 50
Toss in AS and MIU to 20 or 25 when possible
10 ranks of first aid
Add in cmans when I can.

Any idea how feasible it is to use ranged weapons from the open if spelled up? I normally have my AC fighting with me when the room allows, and hiding tends to slow that down, which is why I was considering dropping hiding.

CrystalTears
04-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Hiding may slow you down, but it's SO worth it sniping and seeing that DS pushdown. It's easier to get a one-shot kill from hiding.

Personally, I think it's a waste of time to not include sniping when using ranged. From the open is feasible, sure, but I don't think it truly captures the greatness of archery.

I have my AC with me all the time as I don't hide while traveling. I normally don't have him attack unless there is more than one critter in the room with me anyway.

Emran
04-30-2008, 03:09 PM
I don't mind the hiding, other than having to re-group and keep forgetting about leaving my AC behind when I sneak (which is my old age kicking in, I guess).

The main reason I was considering dropping some things and adding brawl (or edged) was for things that archery couldn't do the trick on, as I've seen on some other threads. I had considered going TWC/brawling, just for kicks, but again it's not something I've ever tried, although I've heard it's a pretty viable path with mobility.

Emran
04-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Okay, here's what I have now for skills:

XXXXX (at level 35), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 120 30
Combat Maneuvers...................| 138 39
Ranged Weapons.....................| 172 72
Ambush.............................| 132 36
Physical Fitness...................| 120 30
Dodging............................| 126 33
Arcane Symbols.....................| 25 5
Magic Item Use.....................| 10 2
Harness Power......................| 130 35
Spirit Mana Control................| 102 24
Survival...........................| 124 32
Stalking and Hiding................| 170 70
Perception.........................| 169 69
Climbing...........................| 70 15
Swimming...........................| 35 7
First Aid..........................| 105 25

Spell Lists
Minor Spirit.......................| 2

Spell Lists
Ranger.............................| 30
Training Points: 55 Phy 0 Mnt (210 Phy converted to Mnt)

Any suggestions on where to cut back to pick up brawl? Not sure if it can be done, but I've been gone a while and not sure what is absolutely necessary anymore.

Trouble
05-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Any idea how feasible it is to use ranged weapons from the open if spelled up? I normally have my AC fighting with me when the room allows, and hiding tends to slow that down, which is why I was considering dropping hiding.
I do open archery and I have little problem with it but then again I'm OTF age. I cast 607, wait for them to swing, and then aim for the eye. If the mob is spelled up or the DS is too high, I'll spike to get it down/stunned and then kill it. And there's always 117, 608, or 119 if I need it.

I'm not sure how well it would work with a younger ranger though.

Anferis
05-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Guess I'll ask my question here too..

I made my ranger alt finally and I have some training and stat placement questions (of course I know well enough not to do the plan jokingly mentioned earlier in the thread)

Until I can use brig, I
2x Ambush
2x Perception
1.5x AU
1x Stalking and Hiding
1x Harness Power
1x Ranger Spells
1x Dodging
1x Physical Fitness
1x Survival

I'm going for hiding and ranged, but until I got 30 AU for brig, I was going to 1x hiding and when I got 30 AU up it to 2x. Is there anything completely objectional to this that I'm overlooking? I was thinking 608 could get me through the rough patches until whatever level I'd be using brig.

On the other hand, if I've got it all wrong, what are your suggestions?

Race : Elf
Strength (STR): 81 (15) ... 81 (15)
Constitution (CON): 51 (0) ... 51 (0)
Dexterity (DEX): 92 (26) ... 92 (26)
Agility (AGI): 71 (25) ... 71 (25)
Discipline (DIS): 71 (-5) ... 71 (-5)
Aura (AUR): 71 (15) ... 71 (15)
Logic (LOG): 51 (0) ... 51 (0)
Intuition (INT): 91 (20) ... 91 (20)
Wisdom (WIS): 72 (11) ... 72 (11)
Influence (INF): 25 (-2) ... 25 (-2)

Here are my current stats, rolled up by the automatic stat placement thing when you create your character. Still have 5 replaces so I'm not worried about it. As of now I'm level 5.

graysun
05-13-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm going for hiding and ranged, but until I got 30 AU for brig, I was going to 1x hiding and when I got 30 AU up it to 2x. Is there anything completely objectional to this that I'm overlooking? I was thinking 608 could get me through the rough patches until whatever level I'd be using brig.

On the other hand, if I've got it all wrong, what are your suggestions?

Never played a sniper, but have done hiding with sword/boarders and have a voln-brawling open archer that I never play.

You could probably get away with 1.5x ambush and 2x hiding, but others may advise against it. Mana supply might hinder constant use of 608 at earlier levels unless you're sticking in one spot during your hunts.

Stat placement is chiefly a decision between optimizing for stat growth or for training points, which comes down to how far he plans to go. Placing high values in your primary stats, which are often the fastest-growing (counter-intuitive) seems to yield a lot more points.

In my opinion, don't completely optimize stats for growth unless you're shooting for cap and are completely opposed to spending BP/silver on a fixstat potion. The early levels will go much more smoothly than they will if your hunting stats are sitting around waiting for 50 levels' worth of growth to be decent, and you'll have more TP to boot.

Constitution is nice to have for the natural crit padding aspect of it, and logic helps absorb faster. Aura placement is more important for Council members than others. Both of my rangers optimized for TP, tanking DIS and INF with nice-looking stats everywhere else. The older one will probably fixstat at 80th or 90th into a growth build and by that time the TP difference should be negligible. I think his TD is suffering for my decision, but that's by far his greatest weakness and a common one for rangers it seems.

Get the Tsoran Trainer spreadsheet if you have Excel - it's really helpful for showing stat growth vs. training point tradeoffs, and in determining what you'll be able to afford and when.

Trouble
05-13-2008, 04:16 PM
There used to be optimizer websites for stat placement. You'd enter in your race/class and a target level and it would give you the stat placement to give the most TPs based on your criteria (e.g., must have a minimum DEX and STR of 90 at the target level). You could even give PTPs or MTPs a weighting. I used it to give my ranger many more MTPs than usual because I chose a very magic-heavy build.

I'm not sure if those sites still exist though, they were set up around the transition from GS3 to GS4.

Anferis
05-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Are there any exact formulas on Archery RT? I'd like to minimize it. Also would you prefer a composite or longbow?

Trouble
05-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Longbows have a 7 sec rt, composite have a 6.

each 10 STR bonus reduces the RT by 1 sec (to a min of 3)
hiding or aiming both increase the RT by 1 each.

You need +50 STR to aim from the open and have a 3 sec RT with a longbow.

Anferis
05-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Well if I get spells I have no problems hunting at all, every once in a while a critter catches me after a shot but that's about it. The mana at 1x harness power suffices for 608'ing when i really need to. Otherwise, I can open until I can 2x hiding in a few levels

Anferis
05-15-2008, 06:20 PM
The only real problem I'm having is my DS is super mega extremely ridiculously low

AS: +68 vs DS: +45 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +95 = +150

That's at level 8 with 1x dodging. Is there any way I can get that up? I didn't have any spells except 601, 602, and 606.

I don't want to have to be completely dependent on people to hunt something 3-4 levels lower than me.

CrystalTears
05-15-2008, 06:22 PM
That in offense? Cause at level 8 as a halfling that's how much mine was.

Anferis
05-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Yeah it's offensive.. Kind of bad that I can't even underhunt O_O

CrystalTears
05-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Yeah, which is why I didn't really do archery until the teen levels because hunting is that much harder.