PDA

View Full Version : Death by Sanctuary? wtf?

cronuss
09-05-2007, 03:09 AM
>ho PERSON
You reach down and tenderly cradle PERSONS's lifeless hand in yours.
>pre 220
You trace a sign while petitioning the spirits to bestow their aid with the Major Sanctuary spell...
Your spell is ready.
>cast
You gesture.
A column of flame erupts around you in a brilliant flash, disappearing as fast as it came.
... 40 points of damage!
Neck consumed in flame and charred to a crisp.
A white glow rushes away from you.
You suddenly feel less protected.
The air calms down around you.
You feel less confident.
The dim aura fades from around you.
The brilliant aura fades away from you.
The deep blue glow leaves you.
The powerful look leaves you.
Your sense of faith and conviction wanes.
The light blue glow leaves you.

It seems you have died, my friend. Although you cannot do anything, you are keenly aware of what is going on around you...

You mentally give a sigh of relief as you remember that the Goddess Lorminstra owes you a favor.

...departing in 14 mins...
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)
DEAD>
* YOU just bit the dust!
DEAD>'awesome
You quietly say, "Awesome."
DEAD>'very much awesome
DEAD>
You quietly say, "Very much awesome."
DEAD>
The ghostly voice of PERSON says, "That was strange."

Drew
09-05-2007, 03:12 AM
Spell failure ftw.

cronuss
09-05-2007, 03:13 AM
Spell failure ftw.

Never ever heard of Major Sanct failing, and especially killing someone, in my 14 years of playing.

Is this actually something that can happen?

What's involved in the check?

The spell description doesn't even mention a chance of failure...

thefarmer
09-05-2007, 03:27 AM
I've seen major sanct fail before. It's happened to my cleric once or twice.

Drew
09-05-2007, 04:43 AM
I know with MIU versions of the spell it does it more often, so my guess is that failure is just very rare for people trained correctly for it.

Fallen
09-05-2007, 08:27 AM
I've seen it often enough. I BELIEVE the main factor is Major Spiritual ranks. I know that Mana Control ranks were made the major factor in 740, and Wizard gate, and that Major Sanctuary is up for a major overhaul. This spell is going to see a lot more use soon. Oscuro is altering many spells with the spiritual review. Should be pretty neato keen.

Anailea
09-05-2007, 08:49 AM
I've had it fail, with my empath, more than once. Luckily, I've never died.

FinisWolf
09-05-2007, 09:31 AM
They revamped 220 about a year ago? Maybe longer. Anyway, it now requires you to training in the 200 circle for lower chances of a failure.

Finis

TheEschaton
09-05-2007, 09:43 AM
I've died from failing a major sanct before, but it was right when I got the spell.

Fallen
09-05-2007, 09:56 AM
They are trying to separate level from all of the trasnport/movement spells. It used to be the main factor in Familiar Gate, and I guess 220. When 740 came out they moved it all to spell ranks and Mana control. I dont remember the thresholds, but being 1x basically means you are AT level. So if you 2x in the required skill/spell rank, you can cast the spell more reliably sooner.

FinisWolf
09-05-2007, 10:05 AM
That still keeps it tied to level. (essentially) Meaning, who are the chars that have the tp's that can dump tp's into 2x anything? The char's with levels. :shrug: Same difference really.

My observations with familiar gate is that when I was 27 levels lower and before the changes I was able to more reliably cast 920 then I can now. Back then I would get a failure 1 in 10 casts, now I get a failure 1 in 3 casts. And my training plan has remained constant, and it's all core (a pure wizard).

Finis

ViridianAsp
09-05-2007, 10:41 AM
I've had it not work for me, but I've never had a major fail. Can't wait. ;)

Celephais
09-05-2007, 11:02 AM
That still keeps it tied to level. (essentially)

Nah, it just screws over the warrior mage types, who wouldn't bother getting more than 24 ranks of EMC. It also gives another benefit to the runestaff or others who are willing to 2x it at cost of something else. Sure this is all limited by level, but it just means that a lvl 50 warrior mage trained wizard has less chance of gating than a lvl 50 trained for recharging mage. :shrug:

Khariz
09-05-2007, 11:11 AM
I never had it happen for like 13 years, and then in the last 2 months, it's failed 4 times for my level 89 cleric. I think they messed with something.

Fallen
09-05-2007, 11:16 AM
You can have far more effectiveness at lower levels than you could if it was based solely off them. If you play a mutant,expect difficulties in higher level spell usage. ::Shrug::

Gan
09-05-2007, 11:49 AM
220 failure has fucked up my young cleric several times, but never that bad.

:lol:

Krendeli
09-05-2007, 01:03 PM
I killed my PC once trying to imbue a stick. I win.