PDA

View Full Version : VA Tech

senorgordoburro
09-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Who wants to see them go all the way, and who wants to see them loose all the rest. They almost lost to ECU.......

Drew
09-02-2007, 08:45 PM
How bout neither? I think they'll just do ok.

Sean of the Thread
09-02-2007, 09:06 PM
I agree with so/so.

They're mediocre at best.

RichardCranium
09-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Yeah, they won't win them all because they play LSU next but they definitely won't 'loose' the rest.

Your poll sucks a lot of ass.

Marl
09-03-2007, 12:27 PM
They will more than likely win the ACC and get a bowl game but other than that I dont see them getting into the top 10

TheEschaton
09-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Errr, BC is winning the ACC, didn't you know?

chillmonster
09-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Miami will win the ACC.

TheEschaton
09-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Miami will suck a cock when Matt Ryan lights them up for 500 yards.

senorgordoburro
09-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Alright, I was mainly wondering how you would like to see them do. They are basically using this season as a big sympathy fest and going with the "We are Virginia Tech" thing, so I was wondering if you want them to pull it off, or just flop.

RichardCranium
09-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Lol at 'sympathy fest'.

I know that being bitter and cynical is the hip thing to do now but fucking give me a break. There's nothing better to take people's minds off of a tragedy than football. And some psycho gunning down 32 people in cold blood is quite the fucking tragedy.

senorgordoburro
09-03-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm not trying to be bitter and cynical just so that i "fit in" or so that people like me. And I'm not one of those wierd ass emo kids either. I say it because being a Marine Infantry man with multiple deployments to Iraq, including multiple ones in Ramadi (which for 3-4 years was the deadliest city in Iraq) that I have experienced loss, and so my buddies and I think that it is amusing that still, 5 months later, being treated the way it is. Especially considering that after the events of 9/11/2001, when we invaded Iraq with the full support of the American public in 2003, and within a year that support was gone.

That is my point

RichardCranium
09-03-2007, 09:28 PM
I understand your point and I agree with it. But you and I both know that the media hypes the things that people care about and people are fucking stupid. I support all of our troops regardless of the reasons they are deployed to wherever they are right now.

Then again, I still support our president.

TheEschaton
09-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Not when psychos gun 32 people down every day in parts of the world where we simply just don't give a collective damn.

Gan
09-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Not when psychos gun 32 people down every day in parts of the world where we simply just don't give a collective damn.

You're right, we should invade all of those countries. Kill em all and let God sort em out.

oooohrah!

Sypher
09-04-2007, 09:29 AM
To put some perspective on everything, there was another 35 or so dead from murders on that day. The average daily murder rate is about 40 for the US.

chillmonster
09-04-2007, 09:39 AM
I just don't feel comfortable feeling sorry for people. The families of those who died definitely deserve sympathy, but everyone else should get up and keep moving forward. They are not victims; they're lucky. It's an insult the momories of those who died and in insult to their families to claim victimhood when you were fortunate enough to survive.

Ilvane
09-04-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm sorry, but in a small community like a college(consider it like a small town) when there are 32 people gunned down, it's hard NOT to have sympathy. There is seriously something wrong if you DON'T feel sympathy.

That being said, nothing wrong for rooting for the football team. They may not win it all...but at least you can wish them well, no?

Angela

chillmonster
09-04-2007, 10:30 AM
I'm sorry, but in a small community like a college(consider it like a small town) when there are 32 people gunned down, it's hard NOT to have sympathy. There is seriously something wrong if you DON'T feel sympathy.

That being said, nothing wrong for rooting for the football team. They may not win it all...but at least you can wish them well, no?

Angela

I'm not going to get into specifics, but I had it really hard growing up. I spent a long time going it alone in secret and I also spent time relying on friends and strangers. Through it all, I gained some perspective that most Americans apparently never get and I learned a few things.

First, going it alone is never the best option. Work hard and rely on self, but trust people; there are always those who are willing to help when you persevere. And there is no shame in accepting that help.

Second, people help victims, but they don't respect them. Identifying yourself as a victim will garner much more sympathy and a lot of more support. Many people will assist you, but very few will respect you, and eventually you'll start losing respect for yourself. Nomatter how much you get for free, the cost is still too high.

Third, feeling sorry for yourself doesn't EVER solve shit, and expecting others to feel sorry for you is even worse. Get up and keep it moving.

Last, nomatter how bad you have it ,there's always someone who has it worse. The best thing someone who's been through a lot can do is find someone who's going through a lot and help them out. Besides the obvious reasons for the other person, it's the very best way to heal.

When I see peope celebrating victimhood, it sickens me. If you saw someone get killed, I don't want to hear about how hard it was for you, because you really haven't had it that bad. Go home and kiss a loved one, or better yet write a letter to a victim's family. Tell them how much their loved one's sacrifice has made you value life; because it may not seem it now, but extending a hand to someone else is a lot more cathartic than having one extended for you.

Anebriated
09-04-2007, 10:34 AM
This isnt much different from when the Saints were the "feel good" story of the NFL last year despite Katrina ravaging the city a year before. Well it is different but its the same effect.

Skeeter
09-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Karma correction for Marcus and Michael Vick?

Latrinsorm
09-04-2007, 10:49 AM
If you saw someone get killed, I don't want to hear about how hard it was for you, because you really haven't had it that bad.How does this not contradict with "going it alone is never the best option."? Certainly you agree that being involved in a rampage of this magnitude is extremely traumatic even if it's not the most traumatic thing ever. Do you think the VA Tech people are at fault for being on TV?

chillmonster
09-04-2007, 10:57 AM
How does this not contradict with "going it alone is never the best option."? Certainly you agree that being involved in a rampage of this magnitude is extremely traumatic even if it's not the most traumatic thing ever. Do you think the VA Tech people are at fault for being on TV?

Absolutely not. But there's still no reason to be celebrating victimhood. Building a dozen memorial or having everyone in the world tell you how hard it must have been and how sorry they feel for you doesn't do a damned thing. All of this attention is just more incentive to feel like a victim.

And I'm not faulting these kids. This kid of thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Atlanteax
09-04-2007, 01:09 PM
if anything, at least VA Tech played better than UM.

TheEschaton
09-04-2007, 06:31 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with chillmonster.

And I thnk it should apply to 9/11 as well.

-TheE-