PDA

View Full Version : AFK scripting at public service ALREADY?!

Betheny
11-29-2003, 08:12 AM
What the hell, public service as a punishment option JUST came out and I'm already seeing people script it -- AFK. They don't respond to me... nothing.

I find this amusing but disturbing. anyone else think this is wrong?

Xcalibur
11-29-2003, 08:29 AM
I encourage any form of scripting, if something wasn't boring to do and not repeatitive, there wouldn't be much scripting.

Try doing guild without any form of scripting, good luck.

StrayRogue
11-29-2003, 10:00 AM
I have mastered sweep without scripting. But then Xcalidoof, Queen of RP would have that opinion wouldn't he.

Zeyrin
11-29-2003, 10:07 AM
I think scripting is just pure laziness. I am lazy; therfore, I have no problem with it.

Artha
11-29-2003, 10:31 AM
Report them. I script guild work and rat hunting, but when I do it, I'm at the keyboard paying atleast some attention.

Xcalibur
11-29-2003, 11:46 AM
while reading a book, watching a movie, playing some roms..

Scripting makes you earn exp while you do something else. Scripting rocks

Latrinsorm
11-29-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Xcalibur
while reading a book, watching a movie, playing some roms..

Scripting makes you earn exp while you do something else. Scripting rocks

That's blatantly, BLATANTLY against policy. So don't do that if you don't want to get an uppity GM on your case.

The only time I script is during lag when I'm trying to pick something up or go somewhere. Never tried guild work yet. And I've never understood why people hunt rats.

Xcalibur
11-29-2003, 02:06 PM
Because it's worth it, simply

Chelle
11-29-2003, 02:58 PM
But she is referring to AFK scriping, though. So am I understanding that they are allowing this now?

StrayRogue
11-29-2003, 03:01 PM
No. It means that a particular punishment is being scripted by several people. Doesn't make it any less legal or illegal.

Dighn Darkbeam
11-29-2003, 03:05 PM
I script traveling. Its boring. Recently wrote a tiny script to spell myself up, but im watching as it runs, so its legal.

[Edited on 11-29-2003 by Dighn Darkbeam]

Weedmage Princess
12-03-2003, 02:38 PM
I used a script for guildwork...BUT I stood at the comp and made sure I was off in a relatively private area.

Artha
12-03-2003, 07:26 PM
I script quite a few tasks. But I'm at the computer. And I use Kranar's rathunting scripts. But I'm at the computer. Hell, after that one time Khaladon came to me as I was talking to my dad (sitting at the computer) while I was running a script for guild work, I pause scripts when I'm not paying much attention too.

JustMe
12-04-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Dighn Darkbeam
I script traveling. Its boring. Recently wrote a tiny script to spell myself up, but im watching as it runs, so its legal.

[Edited on 11-29-2003 by Dighn Darkbeam]

You don't have to watch those types of scripts. You can run those while AFK since you aren't gaining EXP and such from it.

Artha
12-04-2003, 07:45 PM
Actually, policy was revised. ANY afk scripting is against policy now.

Wezas
12-04-2003, 07:51 PM
I have a small cleanup script for cleaning up other empaths, and a healing script on the rare occasion I heal. I also have a kick-ass travel script that someone gave me.

I recently made a small bone shatter script for those ocassions I just want to ".shatter Tayre".... too late for that though.

Drew2
12-04-2003, 07:53 PM
Wezas, I hate you.

No, seriously.

Chadj
12-04-2003, 11:41 PM
In my 7 years or whatever, ive never AFK scripted.. And any scripts ive used, i made myself... Except the script to the nations, but i havnt used it yet... Of course, i guess if you include quickly grabbing a drink as AFK scripting, then i guess i do every once in a while to mule..

FatesClwn
12-12-2003, 11:54 AM
Hehe. I have a close personal RL friend with a bit of a script writing addiction. I have scripts for everything. From large scripts like hunting, and extensive movement scripts that recognize just under 75% of the rooms in RR, to small scripts like finding a spell in a stack of scrolls, skinning, and spelling up.
I dont really use any of them, except the movement scripts, cause i cant ever remember how to get most places, probably because of the scripts.
And ive never AFK scripted.
Screw scripting, typing everything is good for yer typing speed.

Czeska
12-12-2003, 01:14 PM
I script travel, and when I actually did guild work, i scripted there a little. I use macros for hunting, though, cause I don't like to hunt alone much, and I RP while I hunt.

Kbundy
12-12-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by FatesClwn
Hehe. I have a close personal RL friend with a bit of a script writing addiction. I have scripts for everything. From large scripts like hunting, and extensive movement scripts that recognize just under 75% of the rooms in RR, to small scripts like finding a spell in a stack of scrolls, skinning, and spelling up.
I dont really use any of them, except the movement scripts, cause i cant ever remember how to get most places, probably because of the scripts.
And ive never AFK scripted.
Screw scripting, typing everything is good for yer typing speed.

Unless you're one that roleplays and talks often, typing out

att rat
skin rat
search rat
wear my shield
get pelt
put pelt in my backpack
remove my shield

(rinse repeat x3000)

Isn't going to help to your typing speed. Well, okay, it'll help you type out 'att rat' faster.

[Edited on 12-13-2003 by Kbundy]

Betheny
12-12-2003, 10:19 PM
It's not the 'scripting' that bugs me, it's the AFK part.

HouseofElves
12-12-2003, 11:02 PM
I notice people AFK script the newbie jobs you can get in Vaalor, a lot. The easiest RP solution, pretend they are under some curse and get some bored mage friend to sleep them. They are usually pretty pissed when they wake up, which makes it even better. When the bodies start to pile up, then the fun really begins.

Mistomeer
12-15-2003, 04:28 PM
I AFK scripted one character from 0-20 then another from 45-60. Scripting is cool. If things weren't dull and easy, then scripting wouldn't be possible. Also, hunting is alot different than it used to be. In the majority of hunting areas, you don't have to worry about wandering into a room with 20 creatures in it. So where's the harm?

Betheny
12-15-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Mistomeer
I AFK scripted one character from 0-20 then another from 45-60. Scripting is cool. If things weren't dull and easy, then scripting wouldn't be possible. Also, hunting is alot different than it used to be. In the majority of hunting areas, you don't have to worry about wandering into a room with 20 creatures in it. So where's the harm?

Gee, I don't know, it's against policy for one.

HouseofElves
12-16-2003, 01:17 AM
It is rather annoying too considering this is an RP game, and if something happens and you are sitting on the john or whatever while your character is being spoken to, it's rather an bothersome situation for the rest of us.

JustMe
12-16-2003, 01:33 AM
I'm going to start killing AFK scripters, they really piss me off.

GOD
01-06-2004, 09:28 AM
I personaly think that scripting is find, as long as you dont mistake Surgla for a critter and whack his head off. Hah.

-John

Soulpieced
01-06-2004, 11:16 AM
I love scripts. And I think most people that have a problem with scripters know nothing of programming. I've said before that I script hunted my warrior from 0-33 without ever manually hunting other than to write the scripts for new areas. Cheers to the person who figured out how to script community service. I was going to try and help someone figure out how to script the incarceration, but it might be a little tough considering the way Simu made it.

Bobmuhthol
01-06-2004, 03:05 PM
I scripted community service in beta.

But I don't have the script anymore. :(

Mistomeer
01-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Maimara

Gee, I don't know, it's against policy for one.

OOG/OOC things are against policy, many of the names out there are against policy, as a matter of fact..probably about 1/3rd of the things that go on in GS are against policy..AFK scripting is just one more of those things.

TheEschaton
01-09-2004, 11:29 AM
I scripted the whole rogue guild in zMUD. Currently, I'm working on making it work for all towns (currently only works for Ta'Illistim). I woulda never made it through Stun Maneuvers without a script. Still haven't, actually, I'm on something like rank 44, but I'd be on rank 4 without the script. I'm making it compliant for if you have an automaton for partner reps (I don't), but if you don't, it asks you to find a partner, and store his/her name, pick a critter from a list (generated based on level, all stored directions to that location), etc. Once the automaton bit is finished, you can run the setup bit once, and then it should be able to take you from 0-63 without you ever touching anything again. Of course, it's for personal use, and I would never be AFK while scripting (though tempting). And it's for zMUD, which sucks - I haven't tested to find if zMUD works in GS4, this is all from GS3. I've had bigger things to worry about since GS4 launched (IE, like how the hell to make my cleric viable but not a total fucking pansy. All his old hunting grounds, trali, are for some reason below his head now).

I script some of my combat spells. However, this is always in the form of <.bane creature> which moves to offensive, casts, and then moves to defensive (it's gotten a little more complicated with channeling)....it's not something which does all the hunting/moving/etc for me.

I love scripting, because I have a bit of programming background. I script travel, but I have I guess what I'd consider a personal policy of knowing how to get to/from the place first, before I'd ever consider scripting it.

Scripting is amazing in that it frees me to concentrate on the things I like, like developing solid backgrounds for my characters, and rping them. After all, a "menancing gnome rogue assassin" isn't all that menacing if he can't stay in hiding when shooting arrows, or fire above 100.

In fact, I only hunt if I see it as necessary to promote a role playing stance. My cleric and rogue (not the gnome rogue) are post legend now in GS4, and, in reality, I don't need to hunt any more with them to RP what I want to. Having my cleric at the cap would be nice....but hell, he can worship his God at 1 train, and commune (or attempt to commune) with Him at 30 trains, so that's all I really need.

StrayRogue
01-09-2004, 11:31 AM
I agree. Slaphands is evil.

StrayRogue
01-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Additionally, if your script was written for GS3, you will have to do alot of editing now. The entire system has effectively been altered so you can train any skill at any time. It screwed up GuildX and even the updated version is buggy as hell.

Parkbandit
01-09-2004, 11:41 AM
If anyone has an updated version of guildx that works in the landing... I would be interested in it.

Guild skill training SUCKS.

StrayRogue
01-09-2004, 11:43 AM
I do Falgrin. It's still a lil buggy, but it will do most of the skills. I am U2Uing you with where you can get it.

Parkbandit
01-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Gracias.

TheEschaton
01-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Yeah, I saw how the new guild works a bit when I was reallocating my rogue. All the pattern matching is off, and that's just for the initialization. I'm gonna work on it as soon as I've ported all my characters (3 down....a few to go).

- TheEschaton -