PDA

View Full Version : Yet another reason for me to hate Texas

Satira
08-21-2007, 08:23 PM
http://www.thedailylink.org/2007/08/bill-nye-bood-in-texas-for-saying-moon.html

Bill Nye, the harmless children's edu-tainer known as "The Science Guy," managed to offend a select group of adults in Waco, Texas at a presentation, when he suggested that the moon does not emit light, but instead reflects the light of the sun.

As even most elementary-school graduates know, the moon reflects the light of the sun but produces no light of its own.

But don't tell that to the good people of Waco, who were "visibly angered by what some perceived as irreverence," according to the Waco Tribune.

Nye was in town to participate in McLennan Community College's Distinguished Lecture Series. He gave two lectures on such unfunny and adult topics as global warming, Mars exploration, and energy consumption.

But nothing got people as riled as when he brought up Genesis 1:16, which reads: "God made two great lights -- the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars."

The lesser light, he pointed out, is not a light at all, but only a reflector.

At this point, several people in the audience stormed out in fury. One woman yelled "We believe in God!" and left with three children, thus ensuring that people across America would read about the incident and conclude that Waco is as nutty as they'd always suspected.]

BILL NYE SHOULD NEVER BE BOOED. EVER. HE'S WONDERFUL. I am outraged on so many levels.

Warriorbird
08-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Ah, Texas. Makes you understand why certain folks are the way they are.

Sean of the Thread
08-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Ah, Texas. Makes you understand why certain folks are the way they are.

Less retarded than others?

Warriorbird
08-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Right...these people are totally less retarded.

Sean of the Thread
08-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Right...these people are totally less retarded.

Says the man from Louisiana.

Ilvane
08-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Sean2, you really think the statements made by those people in Waco were intelligent, and that Nye was anti-God? Heh.

Just saying.

Angela

Sean of the Thread
08-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Sean2, you really think the statements made by those people in Waco were intelligent, and that Nye was anti-God? Heh.

Just saying.

Angela

No my comment was pointing out the ignorance in generalizing an entire state based on this instance.

I'm not surprised your stupid ass couldn't figure that out. Heh.

Just saying.

*Dumb ass.

CrystalTears
08-21-2007, 09:23 PM
You can't really judge all of Texas because of crazies in Waco of all places.

Warriorbird
08-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Says the man from Louisiana.
-Sean2

:chuckles: Born in Wisconsin, raised in Virginia. Not that it matters.

There's a lot of folks who generalize all the time posting in this thread. I don't think one somehow has more rights than another. It's okay when some of our more conservative posters go after Ilvane constantly and go on and on about "how horrible liberals are"... but I better leave poor poor Texas alone. Then Sean2 attempts to make some sort of defense of Texas by generalizing about Louisiana.

:shakes head:

I'd mock Kansas in just the same way for similar reasons...yet you defend it even when you're not particularly religious.

Alfster
08-21-2007, 09:34 PM
What part of Wisconsin?

<-- wisconsinite4life

Warriorbird
08-21-2007, 09:35 PM
I was born in Reedsburg.

Ignot
08-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Sean2 is just grumpy because he is a Bucs fan.

Jenisi
08-21-2007, 10:29 PM
It's amazing how much faith people will put in a book they can't do anything to prove, but not something that makes logical sense.

Ignot
08-21-2007, 10:45 PM
We are one of the only animals that know we are going to die. To handle this we have a portion of our brain devoted to "religion/afterlife". While I think more people are logical about these things it is not so amazing to me to see how people can still act this way.

Gan
08-21-2007, 11:00 PM
http://www.thedailylink.org/2007/08/bill-nye-bood-in-texas-for-saying-moon.html

Bill Nye, the harmless children's edu-tainer known as "The Science Guy," managed to offend a select group of adults in Waco, Texas at a presentation, when he suggested that the moon does not emit light, but instead reflects the light of the sun.

As even most elementary-school graduates know, the moon reflects the light of the sun but produces no light of its own.

But don't tell that to the good people of Waco, who were "visibly angered by what some perceived as irreverence," according to the Waco Tribune.

Nye was in town to participate in McLennan Community College's Distinguished Lecture Series. He gave two lectures on such unfunny and adult topics as global warming, Mars exploration, and energy consumption.

But nothing got people as riled as when he brought up Genesis 1:16, which reads: "God made two great lights -- the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars."

The lesser light, he pointed out, is not a light at all, but only a reflector.

At this point, several people in the audience stormed out in fury. One woman yelled "We believe in God!" and left with three children, thus ensuring that people across America would read about the incident and conclude that Waco is as nutty as they'd always suspected.]

BILL NYE SHOULD NEVER BE BOOED. EVER. HE'S WONDERFUL. I am outraged on so many levels.
Yes, because some religious idiots, who can be found in more places than just Waco Texas, speak for the whole population of Texas. :banghead:
MY GOD YOU'RE AN IDIOT. Thanks for the blanket statement.

You can't really judge all of Texas because of crazies in Waco of all places.
At least someone in this thread has some common sense.

Thanks CT.

Warriorbird
08-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Because there are no other religious wackos in Texas?

;)

...and then there's the whole Cowboys question.

Jorddyn
08-21-2007, 11:07 PM
BILL NYE SHOULD NEVER BE BOOED. EVER.

I would do incredibly dirty things to this uber-nerd. :heart: Bill Nye.

Jorddyn, adding nothing productive

Gan
08-21-2007, 11:17 PM
Because there are no other religious wackos in Texas?
Not after we burned the last batch out...

...and then there's the whole Cowboys question.
Dont get me started on 'Gods Team'... I hated the Cowboys. The only people I respected on that team were Staubach, Dorsett, and Landry. The rest were a talented bunch of snobbish assholes.

Drew
08-21-2007, 11:52 PM
My question is why is Bill Nye trying to disprove the bible to an audience in Waco Texas?

Satira
08-22-2007, 12:16 AM
HAHA. Oh boy.

I didn't ACTUALLY MEAN IT as a blanket statement about the whole state. The state is GIGANTIC, and I realize that. I have an ex who lives there so I naturally dislike the whole state for totally illogical reasons. It was only meant in jest.

Sean
08-22-2007, 12:16 AM
I thought Drew2 was reason enough...

Skeeter
08-22-2007, 12:33 AM
The state sucks. Carry on

Gan
08-22-2007, 12:35 AM

h8er

:(

Messiah
08-22-2007, 01:19 AM
Te-has Is Not Bad. Its Those Who Say Its Bad Who Try To Make It Bad.

Blazing247
08-22-2007, 01:35 AM
Que?

Whimsi
08-22-2007, 01:47 AM
Te-has Is Not Bad. Its Those Who Say Its Bad Who Try To Make It Bad.

Why do you capitalise every word in your sentences? I am not trying to pick on you, I am sincerely curious since I have noticed it elsewhere. Is it an attempt to give every word you type more weight?

P.S. Yes, I have nothing to add about Texas, Bill Nye, religious crazies, or the moon for that matter, but I wanted to post anyway. Take that.

Shari
08-22-2007, 01:56 AM
Bill Nye is awesome.

And Texas does suck. For many reasons. And no its not a blanket statement. And no I wont give reasons why, and no I don't give a flying fuck who else gets their panties in a knot about the whole thing, blanket statments or not.

Sean of the Thread
08-22-2007, 08:32 AM

I think you meant Drew2 sucks the state.

Sean of the Thread
08-22-2007, 08:33 AM
:chuckles: Then Sean2 attempts to make some sort of defense of Texas by generalizing about Louisiana.

Lol that was my point. I don't really care either way just playing advocate.

Sean of the Thread
08-22-2007, 08:34 AM
Sean2 is just grumpy because he is a Bucs fan.

Ain't that the truth.

Landrion
08-22-2007, 08:57 AM
I dislike it when people use religion in the way these people did. It seems to me that if you beleived in God, that God went through a lot of trouble to create an enormously complex universe. That universe has tons (from my limited perspective) of laws and reasons why thing work the way they do. I consider it rather insulting to all that work to discount the mechanisms by which they operate and just act as though things were some sort of magic trick.

On the other hand, just from the one quote,

But nothing got people as riled as when he brought up Genesis 1:16, which reads: "God made two great lights -- the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars."The lesser light, he pointed out, is not a light at all, but only a reflector.

it does sound like he was screwing with them on purpose and was probably going for irreverant intentionally.

So the lesser light is a reflector, not a big difference. Who made reflection work? Who made light in the first place? Why did the moon happen to settle into its particular orbit around us? I dont particularly think its dishonoring God somehow to understand how reflection works and why the moon shines full some days and not others. In fact, Id consider it honoring the effort put in.

DeV
08-22-2007, 09:19 AM
Bill Nye is awesome.

And Texas does suck. For many reasons. And no its not a blanket statement. And no I wont give reasons why, and no I don't give a flying fuck who else gets their panties in a knot about the whole thing, blanket statments or not.Haha, yes.

The bible was written by man. Why this is so hard for some people to understand is beyond me.

Gan
08-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Bottom line is I find it laughable that mankind keeps trying to put limitations on God, an entity that is purported to be omniscient and omnipotent. If anyone's at fault, its the lack of comprehension as to the depth of complexity as to why things happen that appears not only in the way things happened and therefore explained in the Bible, but as evident by the reaction of those simpletons who walked out of the Nye lecture.

The simple answer is: its God.

Skeeter
08-22-2007, 09:25 AM
It was divinely created!!! LIES!!!

Gan
08-22-2007, 09:25 AM
And Texas does suck. For many reasons. And no its not a blanket statement. And no I wont give reasons why, and no I don't give a flying fuck who else gets their panties in a knot about the whole thing, blanket statments or not.

I'm sure Texas feels the say way about you. ;)

Keller
08-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Can we give Texas to Mexico yet?

Gan
08-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Can we give Texas to Mexico yet?

We'll seceede before that happens. Yea, thats right, we're the only state who has that ability. ;)

Keller
08-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Would you? Please?

Gan
08-22-2007, 10:49 AM
Would you? Please?

LOL

Would you leave town if someone said you sucked?

Cry me a river bitch...

Celephais
08-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Don't belittle the name of the moon! The moon rulz #1!

Keller
08-22-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm also content to allow California to seceed. But then I'm forced to stay in California, which isn't a terrible proposition.

CrystalTears
08-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Personally I'm waiting for California to break out and drift out into sea.

Clove
08-22-2007, 11:14 AM

Maybe California and Texas will both secede then declare war on each other. Gan vs. Keller in the deathmatch of the century!

SpunGirl
08-22-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm waiting for Latrinsorm to offer his religious insights on this thread.

-K

Celephais
08-22-2007, 11:19 AM

Maybe California and Texas will both secede then declare war on each other. Gan vs. Keller in the deathmatch of the century!

Wait wait... earthquakes are real? I thought that was all just a joke...

I'm not sure what all this arguing is about... we all know the north is superior (well until you get a little too far north...)

Latrinsorm
08-22-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm waiting for Latrinsorm to offer his religious insights on this thread.Our Lord And God The Messiah Has Said His Piece. But Then Again, Satira Is Basically The Messiah-Ess, So I Am At A Loss.

That really is as fun as it looks.

Clove
08-22-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm waiting for Latrinsorm to offer his religious insights on this thread.

-K

Bastard.

Keller
08-22-2007, 01:09 PM

As long as we don't have to subsidize other states' federal programs and can tell the federal gov't to fuck off with regard to our laws -- I don't care.

Celephais
08-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Texas... good luck with your taxes after succeeding...
http://www.statemaster.com/graph/eco_tot_tax_bur-total-tax-burden-per-capita

Keller
08-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Texas... good luck with your taxes after succeeding...
http://www.statemaster.com/graph/eco_tot_tax_bur-total-tax-burden-per-capita (http://www.statemaster.com/graph/eco_tot_tax_bur-total-tax-burden-per-capita)

I would like to see statistics on per capita federal tax liability.

Celephais
08-22-2007, 01:55 PM
I would like to see statistics on per capita federal tax liability.

I was looking for that too.. I had seen it before, tax burden vs liability... I don't think texas is nearly as bad in that graph, but the north goes WAY up in rank of carrying the union.

Drew
08-22-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm also content to allow California to seceed. But then I'm forced to stay in California, which isn't a terrible proposition.

It's interesting to think how different this country would be if we didn't have the People's Republic of California.

Keller
08-22-2007, 04:45 PM
It's interesting to think how different this country would be if we didn't have the People's Republic of California.

The thing about Californians is that they make the money to afford their social programs. And then some.

And it's not going to change anytime soon.

Sean of the Thread
08-22-2007, 05:06 PM
The thing about Californians is that they make the money to afford their social programs. And then some.

I'd like to see some hard facts supporting that.

LazyBard
08-22-2007, 05:23 PM

And here I thought it was more people in California lived far outside their means credit wise, property wise etc then anywhere else in the country

Sean of the Thread
08-22-2007, 05:26 PM
And here I thought it was more people in California lived far outside their means credit wise, property wise etc then anywhere else in the country

Keller is known for making up the facts on occasion.

Drew
08-22-2007, 05:40 PM
They can pay for it with love and good intentions.

TheSmooth1
08-22-2007, 06:03 PM
California's awesome. All you you stfu.

Keller
08-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Keller is known for making up the facts on occasion.

Sean2 is known for making assinine statements solely in hope of aggitating the targeted poster, on occasion.

Hard times without Backlash, huh buddy?

Keller
08-22-2007, 06:15 PM

I don't really consider the central valley California. :tumble:

Sean of the Thread
08-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Sean2 is known for making assinine statements solely in hope of aggitating the targeted poster, on occasion.

Hard times without Backlash, huh buddy?

Uh no. But whatever makes you feel better chief. I'm sure you can throw some made up percentile to back up your claim however.

Keller
08-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Uh no. But whatever makes you feel better chief. I'm sure you can throw some made up percentile to back up your claim however.

We have the highest GDP in the nation and one of the highest state tax rates.

We walk the walk and talk the talk.

I'm looking into statistics now, but it will have to bleed into tomorrow.

Celephais
08-22-2007, 06:38 PM
I'm looking into statistics now, but it will have to bleed into tomorrow.

Tomorrow? What're you talking about? Isn't it like 9am there or something?

Sean of the Thread
08-22-2007, 06:41 PM
We have the highest GDP in the nation and one of the highest state tax rates.

Something to be proud of with a budget crisis and all. Might as well bump those taxes up a tad more.

Gelston
08-22-2007, 06:52 PM
http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000JLTRMC.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V36734247_.jpg

STFU

Celephais
08-22-2007, 07:03 PM
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/GuinnessKMF/chuck.gif

Gelston
08-22-2007, 07:06 PM
I'm sure severl round-house ass-kickings came next.

Gan
08-22-2007, 10:39 PM

The proof is in the pudding.

Gelston
08-22-2007, 10:48 PM
We'll seceede before that happens. Yea, thats right, we're the only state who has that ability. ;)

Actually, every state has that ability. Texas has no more rights as a state then any other state.

Sean of the Thread
08-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Thems fightin' words

Celephais
08-22-2007, 10:57 PM
Actually, every state has that ability. Texas has no more rights as a state then any other state.

I think he means that the texas is the only state where every fucking person has a gun.

Gan
08-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Actually he's correct. Its a common mythconception that Texas has the right to seceed.

The only thing that Texas has a right to do thats different from any other state is: Texas has the right to subdivide itself into as many as 4 smaller states.

The only major historical significance that Texas has over other states is that Texas was at one time its own independant nation.

And yes, there are a lot of freaking guns here in Texas. ;)

Bobmuhthol
08-22-2007, 11:04 PM
Texas wasn't indepedent by choice, though.

Gelston
08-22-2007, 11:05 PM
Texas is one of two current states that was and independent nation before becoming a state. Let us not forget Hawaii.

Gan
08-22-2007, 11:08 PM
The only major historical significance that Texas has over other states is that Texas was at one time its own independant nation.

Texas is one of two current states that was and independent nation before becoming a state. Let us not forget Hawaii.

Looks like we're both wrong on that account.

Hawaiʻi is one of four constituent states of the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) that was an independent nation prior to its statehood, along with California (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Republic), Texas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Texas), and Vermont (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermont_Republic).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii#History

Gelston
08-22-2007, 11:16 PM
I didn't know about Vermont, but I think I do remember hearing that about California now that I think of it. Texas is probably the only Nation to become a State that fought a war first, while independent, and won. (I discount Vermont in this because it was part of the Continental Congress and such)

AestheticDeath
08-22-2007, 11:19 PM
BUT, Texas is the only state that could survive on its own as a nation as things are right now. Assuming it did/could/would secede.

Stanley Burrell
08-22-2007, 11:43 PM
BUT, Texas is the only state that could survive on its own as a nation as things are right now. Assuming it did/could/would secede.

Iraq lives in the Dark Ages also.

Seriously, jokey-joke, er..? Snopes?

AestheticDeath
08-23-2007, 12:10 AM
Nah I was semi-serious. Read up on the economy of Texas, and what all we would have available to us if we left.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas

Scroll down to the economy part. There is more to it than that but whatever. Gross state product of over 1 trillion. 150 billion in exports last year. Second highest population of the US states. We could basically sustain ourselves with food, gas and oil etc. We have 33 billionaires here.. 56 Fortune 500 companies..

NASA is here.. We have 15 military installations.

Anyhow Texas has more of a chance than any other state at actually surviving a separation.

(Not a fact, just my opinion. But I would be interested to see someone else provide an example of another state with a chance as good as Texas.)

TheEschaton
08-23-2007, 12:16 AM
I'm pretty sure NY could survive pretty damn well. Financial center of the world, cultural center of the US at the very least, and 90% farmland. ;)

-TheE-

Gan
08-23-2007, 12:17 AM
Nah I was semi-serious. Read up on the economy of Texas, and what all we would have available to us if we left.

Scroll down to the economy part. There is more to it than that but whatever. Gross state product of over 1 trillion. 150 billion in exports last year. Second highest population of the US states. We could basically sustain ourselves with food, gas and oil etc. We have 33 billionaires here.. 56 Fortune 500 companies..

Anyhow Texas has more of a chance than any other state at actually surviving a separation.

(Not a fact, just my opinion. But I would be interested to see someone else provide an example of another state with a chance as good as Texas.)

http://www.ericsiegmund.com/images/fireant/iraq/cometakeit.jpg

AestheticDeath
08-23-2007, 12:35 AM
New York has to import oil, gas, and electricity. And I could find no mention of them having a military presence.

But they are the third largest populated state, and have the third largest gross state product.

California is number one so far in population and GSP. But I couldnt find out much more than that.

Both New York and California produce a lot of food products. And have alot of money. Thats about all I could figure out on them from wiki.

Bobmuhthol
08-23-2007, 12:39 AM
<<NASA is here..>>

NASA was originally planned to be established in Massachusetts, and California > Texas.

Snapp
08-23-2007, 12:41 AM
But I would be interested to see someone else provide an example of another state with a chance as good as Texas.

Delaware!

And we're conquering Jersey first.

Gan
08-23-2007, 12:45 AM
<<NASA is here..>>

NASA was originally planned to be established in Massachusetts, and California > Texas.

But NASA isnt in Mass. now is it? Swing and a miss!

Here's some general economic data by state:
http://www.bea.gov/

I'd look it up, but I'm going to bed.

TheEschaton
08-23-2007, 12:45 AM
Err, NY has the Niagara Power Plant, which powers the whole eastern seaboard.

Oil and gas we can trade with our friendly neighbor countries, Canada and PA, who at least have coal.

We would survive so much better than Texas.

-TheE-

AestheticDeath
08-23-2007, 12:49 AM
Until someone attacked you...

Gelston
08-23-2007, 12:49 AM
Florida could likely survive by itself. Hawaii could too if they got rid of the need for gas.

AestheticDeath
08-23-2007, 12:50 AM
Why do you think they could? Try to support the theories... somehow.

Bobmuhthol
08-23-2007, 12:53 AM
<<But NASA isnt in Mass. now is it? Swing and a miss!>>

It's neither exclusively nor headquartered in Texas, either.

Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_GDP_per_capita_(nominal))'s a list of every state ranked by GSP per capita.

Note that Texas is not even in the top 30%!

Celephais
08-23-2007, 12:54 AM
This thread used to be cool when it was about Bill Nye.

This arguement is infinitely stupid (and the whole "until you're attacked" thing is an awful arguement... plenty of countries don't have massive armies)

Gelston
08-23-2007, 12:55 AM
Hawaii because it basically has everything it needs on the Islands except oil. So either it would have to go 100% solar/electric(Which solar is a pretty big thing here) or dump cars. Freaks mostly don't use A/C anyways.

Florida is basically the same as Texas as far as what it has.

Gelston
08-23-2007, 12:56 AM
And yes, there are plenty of countries that don't have massive armies. The are generally in some sort of Alliance or under another, more powerful country's protection.

Paradii
08-23-2007, 12:57 AM

Oh wow, 56 fortune 500 companies in Texas.

Delaware has how many?

"More than 695,000 businesses have their legal home in Delaware, including more than half of all U.S. publicly traded companies, and 60% of the Fortune 500. This may be why Delaware is called the "Incorporating Capital of the World."

fun fact

As for living on their own. I'd say Alaska wouldn't even notice if the rest of the united states just vanished.

Gelston
08-23-2007, 01:01 AM
Delaware probably couldn't feed itself.

TheEschaton
08-23-2007, 01:07 AM
NY couldn't protect itself if attacked? Dude, Tim McVeigh is from here, we have all sorts of crazy motherfucking militias.

Gelston
08-23-2007, 01:09 AM
That would get ran over by tanks and your cities bombed to hell.

Satira
08-23-2007, 01:13 AM
I deeply regret not naming this thread BILL NYE IS THE COOLEST EVER, DISCUSS.

Gelston
08-23-2007, 01:14 AM
Texas has defeated your thread.

SpunGirl
08-23-2007, 01:18 AM

Or you could have called it

BILL NYE HATES JESUS, DISCUSS

-K

Stanley Burrell
08-23-2007, 06:24 AM
Mexico to reclaim Tejas pendejos!!!!!!!1111111111one

And, to be fair, California.

Too early to be having this shit, man. Bill Nye does rock though. And hick towns are a universal constant and not exclusive to Texas, or so I've read. I know, first hand, that they are also in Connecticut.

Next up, Bill Nye on genetic maladies due to inbreeding :thumbup:

Gan
08-23-2007, 07:26 AM

Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_GDP_per_capita_(nominal))'s a list of every state ranked by GSP per capita.

Its physically located in Texas. Its tax base is in Texas. Its employees are in Texas... need I say more?

And Texas's GSP according to your source is ranked 16 out of 50. Thats 32%. ZOMG ITS NOT IN THE TOP 30%%%%%%.

/sarcasm

Gan
08-23-2007, 07:29 AM
Oh wow, 56 fortune 500 companies in Texas.

Delaware has how many?

"More than 695,000 businesses have their legal home in Delaware, including more than half of all U.S. publicly traded companies, and 60% of the Fortune 500. This may be why Delaware is called the "Incorporating Capital of the World."

fun fact

As for living on their own. I'd say Alaska wouldn't even notice if the rest of the united states just vanished.

All of those corporations arent physically located in Deleware. Ergo their employees dont live there, dont spend there, dont pay taxes there, and dont work there.

Does that make Deleware the king by proxy?

:lol:

Bobmuhthol
08-23-2007, 07:29 AM
<<Its physically located in Texas. Its tax base is in Texas. Its employees are in Texas... need I say more?>>

I think you should take a good look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA before you get a bigger boner about Texas.

<<And Texas's GSP according to your source is ranked 16 out of 50. Thats 32%. ZOMG ITS NOT IN THE TOP 30%%%%%%.

/sarcasm>>

Right. Not in the top 30%. I could've said not in the top 15 if that makes you feel better. You can't call second first, and you can't call sixteenth fifteenth.

Gan
08-23-2007, 07:30 AM

You reap what you sow.

Texas has defeated your thread.

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/postcards-pictures-of/TX-DontMess.jpg

AestheticDeath
08-23-2007, 08:49 AM

The base is in Houston etc, like Gan said.

That list is screwy for some reason, beyond being older than the states claims.

If you click on the #1 DC, you get "The gross state product of the District in 2006 was $87.664 billion, ranking it #35 when compared with the fifty states."
When you click on Texas you get, "In 2006, Texas had a gross state product of $1.09 trillion[40], the second highest in the U.S. after California, after recently surpassing New York state."

Either the list is wrong, or the states are misrepresenting somehow. Personally I'd believe California and Texas as the two largest states would be more likely to have the higher GSP.

Oh yeah the list you had was per capita... Nevermind. We are #2 where it counts, not #32. :)

Gan
08-23-2007, 09:33 AM
<<Its physically located in Texas. Its tax base is in Texas. Its employees are in Texas... need I say more?>>

I think you should take a good look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA before you get a bigger boner about Texas.

<<And Texas's GSP according to your source is ranked 16 out of 50. Thats 32%. ZOMG ITS NOT IN THE TOP 30%%%%%%.

/sarcasm>>

Right. Not in the top 30%. I could've said not in the top 15 if that makes you feel better. You can't call second first, and you can't call sixteenth fifteenth.

Perhaps you should dig a little deeper.

Around 3,000 civil servants, including 110 astronauts, are employed at JSC. The bulk of the workforce are the over 15,000 contractors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_contractor). Over 15 contracting firms work at JSC; the largest is the United Space Alliance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Space_Alliance), which accounts for about 40 percent of the JSC employees

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyndon_B._Johnson_Space_Center

Gan
08-23-2007, 09:42 AM

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regional/gdp_state/2007/images/gsp0607.gif

For 2006, Texas is ranked 10th in terms of Real GDP. (not per capita, which is a major misleading index since Texas has one of the highest populations).

For 2006, Texas Current Dollar GDP is $1,065,891, which is 2nd behind California.

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regional/gdp_state/gsp_newsrelease.htm

Thanks and have a nice day.
:thanx:

Stanley Burrell
08-23-2007, 09:52 AM
http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regional/gdp_state/2007/images/gsp0607.gif

For 2006, Texas is ranked 10th in terms of Real GDP. (not per capita, which is a major misleading index since Texas has one of the highest populations).

For 2006, Texas Current Dollar GDP is $1,065,891, which is 2nd behind California.

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regional/gdp_state/gsp_newsrelease.htm

Thanks and have a nice day.
:thanx:

I'm certain that not New York City would reject to being called "The Mideast."

And you'll find no quarrels here that a sad chunk of land masses in New York that aren't New York, New York/Westchester/Maybe Three Or Six other counties tend to leech the fuck on to New York, New York/Westchester/Maybe Three Or Six Other Counties. These also tend to be the places that all the West Point military everythings are located (someone mentioned N.Y. has no military presence, which is true, until you include areas of Texas, New York, as well.)

In summation,

Much :shrug:

Sean of the Thread
08-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Seriously stainly people stopped reading your dribble long ago. You may stop posting.

Gan
08-23-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm certain that not New York City would reject to being called "The Mideast."

And you'll find no quarrels here that a sad chunk of land masses in New York that aren't New York, New York/Westchester/Maybe Three Or Six other counties tend to leech the fuck on to New York, New York/Westchester/Maybe Three Or Six Other Counties. These also tend to be the places that all the West Point military everythings are located (someone mentioned N.Y. has no military presence, which is true, until you include areas of Texas, New York, as well.)

In summation,

Much :shrug:

Hmmm, my Stanley decryption key seems to have expired.

Please resubmit and send the key so my algorithm will properly translate your last encrypted post.

.end

Stanley Burrell
08-23-2007, 10:03 AM
We have to wait until a liberal puts on the reading glasses :-P

Keller
08-23-2007, 10:07 AM
What is that map showing, Gan?

Also, not only is Texas 2nd to California in GDP, it is FAR behind in GDP. To the tune of 600 billion dollars.

Gan
08-23-2007, 10:13 AM
What is that map showing, Gan?

Growth rate (% change) in Real GDP. Means we're growing. Growth = teh goodness.

Also, not only is Texas 2nd to California in GDP, it is FAR behind in GDP. To the tune of 600 billion dollars.
Yea, California is the shiznet with regards to GDP. We're hoping to pull some of that away with the allure of no state income tax, cheap land, no earthquakes and friendly people. ;)
Only I think we scare the bejeebus out of most of the liberals that live on the left coast.

Stanley Burrell
08-23-2007, 10:23 AM
We know Tejas' real per capita is made selling Dixie Chicks CDs.

Clove
08-23-2007, 10:24 AM
...We're hoping to pull some of that away with the allure of no state income tax, cheap land, no earthquakes and friendly people...

...with rifles to keep YOU friendly.

Gan
08-23-2007, 10:32 AM
We know Tejas' real per capita is made selling Dixie Chicks CDs.

Only to you flaky liberal coasties who lap it like there's no tomorrow.

My wife had a Dixie Chick CD some years ago. Had.

Stanley Burrell
08-23-2007, 10:35 AM
I would had a Dixie Chick CD pretty much instantly too.

TheEschaton
08-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Growth rate (% change) in Real GDP. Means we're growing. Growth = teh goodness.

High growth just means you were the most behind.

It's like "Most Improved" in any sport - it means you were the shittiest player on a team of people who had not much left to learn.

Texas is retarded. ;)

Gan
08-23-2007, 11:01 AM
High growth just means you were the most behind.

It's like "Most Improved" in any sport - it means you were the shittiest player on a team of people who had not much left to learn.

Texas is retarded. ;)

Please stick to reading law books, where you dont sound so stupid when you talk about things.

Clove
08-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Texas is retarded. ;)

It's all relative. Texas is only retarded when compared to wonderful places like the Northeast. Compared to California it's Shan-gra-frickin'-la.

For the record my brother lives in San Antonio, Gan. We like Texas.

TheEschaton
08-23-2007, 11:07 AM
It was mainly in jest, dumbass. ;)

I've been to San Antonio, liked it well enough. My best friend lives there now, and he married an Austin girl, and she's sweet. And his kid, my god-daughter, is like, half-Texan.

Edit: Except for Dallas. I hate all things Dallas. Especially if they're called "The Cowboys" or "The Stars".

Latrinsorm
08-23-2007, 04:27 PM
New York has to import oil, gas, and electricity.The United States has to import oil, gas, and electricity. That doesn't mean the U.S. is unsustainable as a nation.
And I could find no mention of them having a military presence.Considering anyone who wanted to attack them would have to get through America or Canada first, it doesn't seem too crucial. "Overrun by tanks", rofl.
(not per capita, which is a major misleading index since Texas has one of the highest populations).Poor people need food too, you know. :D

Celephais
08-23-2007, 04:38 PM
(not per capita, which is a major misleading index since Texas has one of the highest populations).

I'd much rather be Luxembourg then China... Enjoy all your hobos and gold farmers.

Gan
08-23-2007, 05:04 PM
I'd much rather be Luxembourg then China... Enjoy all your hobos and gold farmers.
... and illegal immigrants.

Bobmuhthol
08-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Perhaps you should dig a little deeper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyndon_B._Johnson_Space_Center

I don't think you understand that NASA is not limited to training and deploying astronauts.

Celephais
08-23-2007, 05:48 PM
I don't think you understand that NASA is not limited to training and deploying astronauts.

Hmm... what would Texas call their space explorers if they broke off... the Chinese call theirs taikonauts... Texonauts... Don'tMessWithOurNauts?

Gan
08-23-2007, 05:49 PM

I think you misunderstand how big a financial footprint NASA represents to Texas, which was the sole reason why I brought it up.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/66/NASA_dollars.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_Budget#State_by_state_distribution_and_breakd own_of_NASA.27s_annual_budget

Celephais
08-23-2007, 05:55 PM
... Now per capita how much is NASA spending in each of those states? Have fun sharing those NASA dollars w/ all your immigrants, MD'ers will each take a much larger cut. (I gotta say, it's kinda funny when you think "What the hell are they buying in Arkansas for 1.7M?" Did they just feel the need to spend some money there?)

Gan
08-23-2007, 05:56 PM
... Now per capita how much is NASA spending in each of those states? Have fun sharing those NASA dollars w/ all your immigrants, MD'ers will each take a much larger cut. (I gotta say, it's kinda funny when you think "What the hell are they buying in Arkansas for 1.7M?" Did they just feel the need to spend some money there?)

Can you say...

PORK ?

:pig:

Stanley Burrell
08-23-2007, 05:57 PM
No disrespect, but NASA has lost a little bit of credibility ever since MARS, BITCHES! (Or gained respect if you don't read at all into the representation the below skit once mocked.)

http://xark.typepad.com/my_weblog/images/dave.gif

DCSL
08-24-2007, 03:48 AM
I'm shocked and amused that this has become a real debate/argument. Personally, I'd vote New Jersey out before any other state. Dallas is home of Pantera, so it's coo' in my book.

Gan
08-24-2007, 07:39 AM
I'm shocked and amused that this has become a real debate/argument. Personally, I'd vote New Jersey out before any other state. Dallas is home of Pantera, so it's coo' in my book.

+ 100 for mid-80's hair band reference.

Skeeter
08-24-2007, 10:08 AM
http://www.comics.com/comics/pearls/archive/images/pearls2003055370822.gif