PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Shield type?

kgolfer
08-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Capped Ranger, would like to know suggestions for shield type, ie small, medium, etc. for the biggest FUTURE gain.

I plan to finish doubling shield and dodge (someday).

I have a 7x veniom bound tower shield that is still unconverted.

Strength (STR): 100 (30) ... 100 (30)
Constitution (CON): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
Dexterity (DEX): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
Agility (AGI): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
Discipline (DIS): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
Aura (AUR): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
Logic (LOG): 100 (30) ... 100 (30)
Intuition (INT): 100 (30) ... 100 (30)
Wisdom (WIS): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
Influence (INF): 52 (1) ... 52 (1)

Armor Use..........................| 210 110
Shield Use.........................| 201 101
Combat Maneuvers...................| 240 140
Edged Weapons......................| 302 202
Ambush.............................| 201 101
Physical Fitness...................| 201 101
Dodging............................| 177 77
Arcane Symbols.....................| 102 24
Magic Item Use.....................| 102 24
Harness Power......................| 175 75
Spirit Mana Control................| 102 24
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 90 20
Survival...........................| 150 50
Stalking and Hiding................| 302 202
Perception.........................| 150 50
Climbing...........................| 90 20
Swimming...........................| 120 30

Spell Lists
Minor Spirit.......................| 30

Spell Lists
Ranger.............................| 70

Thank you in advance.

The Ponzzz
08-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Right now I would stick to a large or tower shield.

Once your dodge gets closer to 2x, medium/small.

Granted there will be more detail reasons to come from others, that's how i would rock that shit.

Latrinsorm
08-11-2007, 03:17 PM
The only thing that would change my advice of small for even training is 650. If you assume Lion it might be enough to make a large/tower better, but I doubt it. I'd go with the small.

Drew
08-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Yeah keep in mind right now he has 77 dodge ranks and 68 simulated ranks from 618. Rangers will generally always have more dodge ranks than shield and their potential dodge can go higher than shield use so small shield seems best, if you like your current shield, leave it unconverted.

The Ponzzz
08-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Ah, I always forget about how awesome 618 is.

Jessaril
08-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Don't convert it unless you need more bolt DS. The difference between medium, large and tower shields for physical DS is minimal.

grapedog
08-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Don't convert it unless you need more bolt DS. The difference between medium, large and tower shields for physical DS is minimal.

yeah, but isn't the difference in % of Evades quite a bit lower?

Latrinsorm
08-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Shadowdeath and I actually just did research on that. There are two lines from the website:
"The first step in combat will be the opponent's opportunity to evade an attack altogether. Evasion success will be based upon a combination of factors, including the character's Dodge skill, armor hindrance, encumbrance, Agility, Intuition, shield size (increased hindrance with larger shields), stance, the level of the opponent, and some spells, such as Mobility, Blur, and Song of Mirrors."
"The odds for an outright dodge are based on the defender's Dodge ranks compared to the attacker's level. It is affected by stats, certain spells, and stance."

We tested whether armor affected outright dodge %: it did not appear to. This suggests that the first passage refers (clumsily) to Dodge DS rather than outright dodge, and thus that both utilizing a shield and shield size have no effect on dodge. (Testing shield directly would be difficult for two reasons: one in a data-collecting sense: it's impossible to tell whether I would have dodged or not on a block [though the website suggests all blocks are failed dodges, the phrasing as I've already pointed out leaves much to be desired on the certainty front], second that the relevant character was 3x shield with blockmastery, making it very difficult to obtain dodges and ebp failures.)

Paradii
08-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Shadowdeath and I actually just did research on that. There are two lines from the website:
"The first step in combat will be the opponent's opportunity to evade an attack altogether. Evasion success will be based upon a combination of factors, including the character's Dodge skill, armor hindrance, encumbrance, Agility, Intuition, shield size (increased hindrance with larger shields), stance, the level of the opponent, and some spells, such as Mobility, Blur, and Song of Mirrors."
"The odds for an outright dodge are based on the defender's Dodge ranks compared to the attacker's level. It is affected by stats, certain spells, and stance."

We tested whether armor affected outright dodge %: it did not appear to. This suggests that the first passage refers (clumsily) to Dodge DS rather than outright dodge, and thus that both utilizing a shield and shield size have no effect on dodge. (Testing shield directly would be difficult for two reasons: one in a data-collecting sense: it's impossible to tell whether I would have dodged or not on a block [though the website suggests all blocks are failed dodges, the phrasing as I've already pointed out leaves much to be desired on the certainty front], second that the relevant character was 3x shield with blockmastery, making it very difficult to obtain dodges and ebp failures.)

I am just curious if you actually ever hunt/rp or if you just test game mechanics.

Latrinsorm
08-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Surprisingly, yes! :D