PDA

View Full Version : Not having much luck as a level 32 bard

Sanstrian
08-01-2007, 08:44 PM
I've been gone from the game for a long, long time. My character, Sanstrian, was stored on the account of a friend who decided to retrain him a bit, so here is what I've come back to.

So far, I can't seem to do shit without dying. Granted, I'm a bit rusty with everything, but I was hoping the resident experts can help me out.

I am a Voln master and have no intention of switching societies or rerolling to fix what I think are poor stats (3 100s @ lvl 32 is not good IMO).

The plan I'm after is the one that will give me the easiest time soloing, fast levelling, etc. Advice is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

>inf
Name: Sanstrian Creatore'd'Rima Race: Giant Profession: Bard (shown as: Skald)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 100 (40) ... 100 (40)
Constitution (CON): 66 (18) ... 63 (16)
Dexterity (DEX): 80 (10) ... 80 (10)
Agility (AGI): 88 (14) ... 88 (14)
Discipline (DIS): 68 (9) ... 68 (9)
Aura (AUR): 100 (20) ... 100 (20)
Logic (LOG): 48 (-6) ... 48 (-6)
Intuition (INT): 48 (-1) ... 48 (-1)
Wisdom (WIS): 70 (10) ... 70 (10)
Influence (INF): 100 (30) ... 100 (30)
Mana: 108 Silver: 0
>ski
Sanstrian (at level 32), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 140 40
Shield Use.........................| 128 34
Combat Maneuvers...................| 128 34
Edged Weapons......................| 168 68
Physical Fitness...................| 128 34
Dodging............................| 108 26
Harness Power......................| 128 34
Mental Mana Control................| 50 10
Elemental Lore - Air...............| 128 34
Mental Lore - Manipulation.........| 128 34

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 1

Spell Lists
Bard...............................| 32
Training Points: 46 Phy 0 Mnt (254 Phy converted to Mnt)
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

293 days remain until the annual FIXSKILLS is to be granted, on 05/20/2008.

Your 30 day migration period will begin when you choose to degrade a skill.

Ignot
08-01-2007, 09:08 PM
what are you hunting?

Sanstrian
08-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Currently I'm hunting zombies...I've tried Varunar, tree spirits...can't think of much else to be honest.

Zombies is the lowest undead thing I can get exp from...nice and safe. :D

EDIT: As an afterthought, I'm in sonic brig with 7% spell hinderance, I use a 4x falch and a veniom-bound rolaren tower shield...AS in offensive is 265 and DS is 212 (although I think I might have brills on me).

Oh and bard CS seems to be 149.

>pre 1001
>
You change your tune slightly, adding the element for Holding Song to your song...
Your spellsong is ready.
>sing zomb
You weave another verse into your harmony, directing the sound of your voice at a zombie.
CS: +149 - TD: +72 + CvA: +25 + d100: +30 == +132
Warding failed!
A zombie appears to be distracted.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)

Silvanostar
08-01-2007, 11:32 PM
Does it matter to you where you hunt? I would suggest if that doesn't matter and your self spelled AS/DS were decent, you could try the ruined tower in river's rest.

Ignot
08-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Maybe try using your sonic weapon. I played a few Bards at low levels so im not to familar with them but even then my sonic weapons with air lore was shredding stuff. I think i was 2x though.

Sanstrian
08-01-2007, 11:48 PM
2x in lore you mean?

I noticed after posting this that I can't relocate my skills (thanks unnamed friend!) but I'd still love advice on what spells to use/where to hunt/etc.

I'm willing to not hunt UD and I'm willing to go to any town.

Jayvn
08-02-2007, 01:58 AM
pookas always seemed relatively easy

Sanstrian
08-02-2007, 02:06 AM
I guess I'll give them a look. Anyone who knows someone in their thirties who wants a bard with them...I'm on now...or can be IM'd at Contra Guerra. :medieval:

vontez
08-02-2007, 10:59 AM
around this level, i think I was able to have up to 425, and 1019, which allowed me to get Elemental Targetting, 401/406/414, and song of mirrors. At that level, you aren't going to be using 1025, 1030, or 1035 anyway, too mana intensive. just 1005 or 410, and you'll do fine.

You have a lot of manipulation lore, i guess for gem singing? IMHO, its not worth purifying all those star rubies when you can have 425/430. with air lore, until you get 1035, its not worth having more than 24. that will give you plenty of flares, and if you get a haste imbed, you'll swing in 2 seconds.

also, mental mana control is nearly worthless. really, at that low level, you aren't going to do much besides 1005/410 things, maybe 1002/1001/1008 occasionally. if you need more points, you can shave off dodge too.

I went with a similar plan, but feel free to take what from it what you will:

1x or 2x armor to 90 ranks
1x shield
1x CM
2x edged
1x PF (you can skimp here a little, along with dodge)
.5x dodge, eventually 1x
24 ranks air, when you get 1035, get 30.
15 ranks of manipulation sometime after you get 1030
get up to 1019 and 425 ASAP, then 430, then up to 1040.

stat wise, i'd get a stat cruncher and max TP's. you'll have no problem with your AS or CS, since creature bard TD is real low. also, keep discipline a little higher so your renewal costs keep down, any more questions, let me know!

LazyBard
08-02-2007, 11:08 AM
I hunted Illistim from about the time I was just over title. I use sonic weapons for undead and living both. Vontez is definitly right about ranks in manipulation after about 45 trains I was able to hunt like levels with just focused 1030. Although I havent tried Tonis yet at 50 trains I have up to 430 and 1030.

Sanstrian
08-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Thanks for all the replies - I guess I'm screwed skillwise until I get my fixskills in ten months or so.

Pookas have ended up working out really well and I have no problem frying from them...I prefer the undead so I can use symbol of courage and the occasional symbol of dreams. Also, I had no idea sonic weapons hit undead, so that's good to know. :shocked2:

Two questions I have are:

Is there anything that can be done to change my statistics? They're stuck the way they are, right?

Second, what would be the best upgrade to make, equipment-wise? I use sonic brigandine, a veniom-bound rolaren tower shield, and some type of 4x blessable depending on the armor of what I'm hunting. Or should I just horde silvers and save for the top-end items?

chillmonster
08-05-2007, 02:23 AM
Vontez and Lazy hit the nail on the head. I'd add drop your bard spells to 1025; mental controll completely; manipulation to 15; and dump just about everything into your Elemental spells. Singing gems past 'improves somewhat' isn't really worth the effort when you're only grabbing 5 or 6 (at most) of anything with substantial value, and 15 ranks is more than enough to accomplish that with very mimimal failures. Note: you might want to get a bit of Telepathy to help you sleep the critters since 1005 is bread and butter for bards. Hope you have Fixskills you use. :)

As for hunting, your sonic weapon is excellent for live critters, but you should really pick up a blessable for the deaders. The Landing and RR have better hunting for you than the Nations. Pookas are ok, but miners shouldn't be that tough, especially if you head in with a group (may still want to hold till about 34/35). Sentoph is pretty much perfect for you as long as you can put the storm giants to sleep - same with the Glacier. In fact, with 1005 you shouldn't have much problem with anything alive up to 40 or so.

Sanstrian
08-05-2007, 02:51 AM
ski
Sanstrian (at level 33), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 140 40
Shield Use.........................| 130 35
Combat Maneuvers...................| 130 35
Edged Weapons......................| 170 70
Physical Fitness...................| 130 35
Dodging............................| 108 26
Harness Power......................| 128 34
Mental Mana Control................| 50 10
Elemental Lore - Air...............| 128 34
Mental Lore - Manipulation.........| 128 34

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 1

Spell Lists
Bard...............................| 32
Training Points: 69 Phy 0 Mnt (222 Phy converted to Mnt)
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

>exp
Level: 33 Deeds: 3
Experience: 1222231 Death's Sting: None
Exp. until next: 65269 Recent Deaths: 3
Mental TPs: 0 Fame: 4007304
Physical TPs: 69 Mana: 42/110 max
(222 Phy converted to Mnt)

Your mind can't take much more of this! You must rest!

So far for level 33 I've done 2x edged, 1x shield, 1x phys training. Should the next thing I get be a rank of the 400s?

EDIT: Hrmmm...I think I'm confused. I got the following text involving fixskill:

fixskills
The FIXSKILLS command will allow you to instantly set your skills to match your goals. Use the GOALS command to set your skills to your desired values FIRST!

You may view FIXSKILLS HELP for more information on this option.

To use FIXSKILLS, you must type FIXSKILL CONFIRM within the next 30 seconds.

*** No additional options will be granted outside of normal parameters for misuse. ***

** Make sure your skills are set how you want them with GOALS before using FIXSKILLS CONFIRM **

Does that mean I have a fixskill to use?

chillmonster
08-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Type GOALS and reset your stats the way you want them. I strongly suggest redoing your spells and lore ranks to drop much of the unnecessary lore and spellsongs then pile up Elemental Spells (400s). I'd also train a bit telepathy but with 100 influence, that is your choice. After you're done, go back and use your Fix Skills and everything should be updated.

Sanstrian
08-05-2007, 11:18 AM
I really appreciate all this help...coming back after a long time is really daunting.

Should I try polearming or do brawling instead of edged? I want to make sure I go with the route that provides for the best hunting in the 33-70 level range. The Hand of Tonis/Voln fu combo sounds really interesting. I spent all night digging back through threads here and most people seem to suggest the same thing - that polearming is the best build but you want to have the right race, and giant is not it.

chillmonster
08-06-2007, 04:25 AM
Here's the point where I think it's simply preferance especially with bards. Truth is, you're not going to make the Master Bard unless you want to reroll, but bards' balance makes them so varied that it doesn't really matter anyway. The main thing for you right now will be 1005 and you can move on to disruption a bit later.

vontez
08-06-2007, 09:57 AM
i suppose for a giant, i'd stick with sword/board, your AS will be big enough. If you really like voln fu, i'd say go for it - you will be pretty nasty at killing undead, and then eventually, you can hunt living with 1030. Also, i think you might get more DS if you use a medium shield. Also, if you REALLY want to get experimental, look for a pure build on here. You can forgo CM to pump your spell ranks, and use brawling for your physical killing skill.

Sanstrian
08-06-2007, 08:10 PM
I definitely DON'T want to get experimental. :D The main thing I'm wondering at this point is which would be easier levelling with: tonis/fu or sword/shield? I'm leaning toward sword/shield right now since I'm 33 and it seems like Tonis/fu doesn't give you it's benefit until well past 35 (please correct me if I'm wrong).

The last question I have is...if I stay sword/board...how should I hunt? I keep reading about short swords and whatnot...from all I have ever known a short sword is essentially worthless unless you're a rogue using it to ambush.

Speaking of ambush...am I supposed to train in that as well? Currently I just swing away with a falchion, using 1005 when the creature turtles.

Silvanostar
08-07-2007, 04:29 AM
fu is incredibly good against undead, especially kick, but brawling weapons are pretty bad in general except for katars. i'd say its really up to you to decided how you want to fight. if i'm not mistaken you can hit undead with sonic weapons as well, so fu wouldn't necessarily be needed unless you were planning to go the caster route once you have enough magical training.

ambush will only benefit you really if you hide, so you won't need it.

Paradii
08-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Don't feel like starting a new thread. I've been messing around with a friends bard and was wondering what the consensus is for where the law of diminishing returns for air lore in relation to sonic blade flares

And is telepathy worth getting for the increase in song length and the bonus to kai's song.

Dealing with a relatively young thw human bard here, if that makes a difference.

vontez
08-09-2007, 08:48 AM
actually, the lore benefit table is around here somewhere, and the returns are decent, and don't diminish. they just cap.

vontez
08-09-2007, 08:53 AM
http://carabele.com/odds/LoreBenefits.htm

oh! look what i found.