PDA

View Full Version : Monks-2008, will they rock?

Sypher
07-31-2007, 07:09 PM
What would you like to see most in the new Monk class coming first thing 2008+1d4 years...

Makkah
07-31-2007, 07:11 PM
I thought paladins were actually a pretty decent addition to the game. Monks, however, I don't hold much hope for...

Back
07-31-2007, 07:27 PM
I thought paladins were actually a pretty decent addition to the game. Monks, however, I don't hold much hope for...

Agreed on the Paladins in a non-mechanics way. Paladins slid right into existing mechanics very very well.

What would be interesting for monks could be an entirely new mechanic. Inferno had a great unarmed combat system. If they base it off traditional martial art styles then perhaps they will come up with a series of punches and kicks, all with different strengths/weaknesses/possibly flares as you gain levels.

Fallen
07-31-2007, 07:28 PM
What would have been a better poll is, "Monks-2008, Total bullshit?"

As for the poll, Monks release should accompany the new unarmed combat system.

Rathgar
07-31-2007, 07:41 PM
They best have different Saiyan levels. Like Super Saiyan level 2 and 3 or else its gonna suck

TheEschaton
07-31-2007, 07:45 PM
What would have been a better poll is, "Monks-2008, Total bullshit?"

As for the poll, Monks release should accompany the new unarmed combat system.

Good work on the nastiness, I was just gearing up, but it seems it's already been said.

Jayvn
07-31-2007, 07:53 PM
You mean they aren't coming in 2004 still?

Ignot
07-31-2007, 09:08 PM
its just the same as any other proffesion but with different messaging.

Sypher
07-31-2007, 09:31 PM
its just the same as any other proffesion but with different messaging.

Not entirely true. They are thinking about every 20 ranks of brawling gains you another hand to hand combat move. With each move you can string combo attacks with other moves you learn. These can be done in succession at different moments for fast paced devestating hits, the more appropriate the combo for a particular situation the more powerful it becomes.

Bobmuhthol
07-31-2007, 09:32 PM
lol, yeah, that'll come out in the next year FO SHO

AestheticDeath
07-31-2007, 10:15 PM
Not entirely true. They are thinking about every 20 ranks of brawling gains you another hand to hand combat move. With each move you can string combo attacks with other moves you learn. These can be done in succession at different moments for fast paced devestating hits, the more appropriate the combo for a particular situation the more powerful it becomes.

Where exactly are you getting your information?

Stanley Burrell
07-31-2007, 10:20 PM
If SIMU rolled in a new martial art combat system (which I could've sworn was set in stone for whenever monks were slated for release) like the monk class in Achaea, we'd have some badassednessism going on, baby.

Back
07-31-2007, 10:27 PM
Damn, theres some jaded grudge holding m'er f'ers on PC.

TheSmooth1
07-31-2007, 10:47 PM
In 2008? Why not this year?

Why not last year?

Why not 2004?

Sypher
07-31-2007, 11:15 PM
Honestly, with the GS scripting language I think it takes maybe a few months max after the ideas for skills/spells have been set down to create a new class.

The reason why they wait is mainly business purposes, people will play and pay longer in expectation of a new class and once a class comes out will tire of it less.

Further, everything is done free. And I don't think monks even have a dev team currently.

Back
07-31-2007, 11:18 PM
It could be like spell training. Heavy cost for certain strikes.

Celephais
07-31-2007, 11:29 PM
The reason why they wait is mainly business purposes, people will play and pay longer in expectation of a new class and once a class comes out will tire of it less.

Yikes... yeah where do you come up with this shit?

Sean of the Thread
07-31-2007, 11:38 PM
There was a time long long ago that I was awaiting monks. Oh well.

Back
07-31-2007, 11:50 PM
Yikes... yeah where do you come up with this shit?

Why are you so negative???

Drew
08-01-2007, 05:46 AM
I'm just not looking forward to the day they get released, paladin release day was like the day roleplaying died.

Sypher
08-01-2007, 08:46 AM
I'm just not looking forward to the day they get released, paladin release day was like the day roleplaying died.

Why?

Celephais
08-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Why are you so negative???

Did you read what he said? That Simu's business model is to make it's customers wait so they can drag out subscription fees... you'd have to be ridiculous to think that's a solid business model. I think a constant releasing of good systems followed by a "And more to come!!" would be a 1000x better "string them on" approach.

As for my other negativity, the PC is a great place for me to release my cynicism and anger at the world. The PC has no lack of idiots to berate, the annonimity to not actually worry any repercussions, and the facelessness for a guilt free conscious if I actually do hurt someone's feelings. In real life I'm exceptionally friendly... I've frequently been asked how I stay so damn cheery and let nothing bother me, I just have a sunny disposition :D Oh and it's fun.

CrystalTears
08-01-2007, 10:50 AM
In real life I'm exceptionally friendly... I've frequently been asked how I stay so damn cheery and let nothing bother me, I just have a sunny disposition :D Oh and it's fun.
Ha! My long lost twin! I'm always chipper.

I'm starting to doubt Sypher and his 6-month playing stance. Not that someone that young in the game can't know so much, but sometimes, it's a little creepifying.

Fallen
08-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Does anyone else personally wish they would come out with Savants first? Unarmed Combat is great and all, but I think I would enjoy their spell list more.

Sthrockmorton
08-01-2007, 11:01 AM
The unarmed combat can hit every profession, which is kind of nice.

I personally prefer monks to savants, as I may be converting (if its an option). Which means I'll have to say goodbye to my killer armor :'(
Although, the spell list for savants could be fun as well.

Latrinsorm
08-01-2007, 03:30 PM
I'd absolutely want savants first as well, but it's not something I'm that concerned about.

ViridianAsp
08-01-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm still waiting for Savants... I personally don't see either profession ever coming out, no matter what they say.

Fallen
08-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Monks will be out. Maybe 2008, maybe 2009, but they will be out.

grapedog
08-01-2007, 04:52 PM
I'd rather see Monks than Savants...

Makkah
08-01-2007, 05:12 PM
savants plz

Sypher
08-01-2007, 05:46 PM
When they said paladins would be out by 2006, it came out by 2006. I think Warden and more importantly Simu -finally- realize people are getting fed up with the "oh it'll be implemented and then nothing for a decade" routine.

As for Savants. I think it'll be just another pure class, yeah fancy spell names etc. etc. but in the end it's gonna be the same thing different messaging. The reason why I'm so excited about monks is because of the whole unarmed combat system thats going to come out with them. Warden and co. can really do something different and unique with this new system (since supposedly they are starting from scratch) and it can provide for a different gameplay rather then the old AS/DS system....but from Simu's past promises broken I'm not expecting too much.

TheEschaton
08-01-2007, 06:58 PM
The fact that you're excited about something Warden's doing illustrates your ignorance.

Sypher
08-01-2007, 06:59 PM
The fact that you're excited about something Warden's doing illustrates your ignorance.

Read the last line of my post.

grapedog
08-01-2007, 07:00 PM
those are my same feelings... We've got two square, three semi, and four pure classes. Why do we need another pure class...

I'd much rather see another square class, but another semi could be just as cool...and monks(if they ever see the light of day) promise to be pretty interesting.

Ignot
08-01-2007, 07:28 PM
When they said paladins would be out by 2006, it came out by 2006. I think Warden and more importantly Simu -finally- realize people are getting fed up with the "oh it'll be implemented and then nothing for a decade" routine.

Well, when your trying to cater to the masses and release things the majority want sometimes other projects get pushed back. It's not fair to say that Simu is just dragging their feet and being lazy. Sure that maybe part of it but when they give us a Poll as far as what we want to see released first, Monks may not always be the #1.

Then again I could be totally wrong and Simu could just suck ass.

Flurbins
08-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Simu is spewing out bullshit about monks, just like everything else on that list that isn't a pay event or a roleplay storyline.

Sypher
08-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Me and another RL friend who plays GS have both agreed that if Simu doesn't come out with monks by New Years day 2009, then we're going to go ahead and cancel our accounts. We're both a bit fed up with paying 45 bucks a month (which thinking about it right now just seems idiotic) for a game that's run by volunteers and doesn't even have consistent updates. That and we're both looking forward to WAR and Age of Conan, which both look awesome especially AoC.

Maybe I'll get an online pledge going to get others to do the same?

TheEschaton
08-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Hahahahahahaha, online pledge. K, V.

Ignot
08-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Me and another RL friend who plays GS have both agreed that if Simu doesn't come out with monks by New Years day 2009, then we're going to go ahead and cancel our accounts. We're both a bit fed up with paying 45 bucks a month (which thinking about it right now just seems idiotic) for a game that's run by volunteers and doesn't even have consistent updates. That and we're both looking forward to WAR and Age of Conan, which both look awesome especially AoC.

you say you'll close, and you may, but you'll come crawling back like the rest of us (with the exception of some)

Sypher
08-01-2007, 11:52 PM
you say you'll close, and you may, but you'll come crawling back like the rest of us (with the exception of some)

How do I escape! ....Did I really die in that car accident?.. Is this...hell?

Ignot
08-01-2007, 11:54 PM
I would play a monk if i could do rapid key strokes like Sabin in FF3

Latrinsorm
08-02-2007, 10:35 AM
>dpad down
You duck your head.
>dpad downtowards
You lean forward.
>dpad towards
Feeling extremely foolhardy or lucky, you edge a little closer to the kobold!
>punch kob
You unleash AuraBolt!!
...and hit for 1 damage!
Sparks of plasma cause the kobold to flinch slightly.
Roundtime: 30 sec.

Kia
08-02-2007, 12:29 PM

Content and updates are added to GS all the time...

Kia

CrystalTears
08-02-2007, 12:46 PM
WTF. Quit because you don't like the cost or the game for what it is. But how many updates are you expecting in 6 months? Why are you getting all OMG DELIVER MONKS NOW! as though you've been waiting as long as others who have been hearing that promise for years now? I haven't really figured you out yet.

Sthrockmorton
08-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Monks 2004

$45 a month, over soon to be 4 years

man, they saw you comin...

Tolwynn
08-02-2007, 01:44 PM
You and Virilneus should totally get together and write a petition for this.

Asha
08-02-2007, 02:46 PM
With a threat which they'll both totally honour of course

Stanley Burrell
08-02-2007, 04:09 PM
For the love of God/Baby Jesus/Allah/Ameratsu (respectively) let us not embark upon another GS petition.

It is lawlz-worthy, but just no, people :no:

Stanley Burrell
08-02-2007, 04:28 PM
While I'm at it, although I think that anywhere from light to incredible (I make pun, haw-haw) armor training should be castigated for monks, I do feel very strongly that monk, dammit, WEAPONRY should not be limited to just:

http://www.moviexplosion.com/fearless2.jpg

Or

http://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/28/MPW-14499

And should *totally* be upgraded to at least allow just a lil-bitta':

http://www.nd.edu/~tyeh/karate/pictures/shaolin/shaolin%20sword.jpg

And perhaps:

http://static.flickr.com/40/103192122_e725c4c83a.jpg

If you know what I be saying. Ahhh yeeeh-uhh.

TheSmooth1
08-02-2007, 04:34 PM
I want nunchuks.

Stanley Burrell
08-02-2007, 04:36 PM
And bladed fans, on the real.

TheSmooth1
08-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Hell with it, swordchuks too.

But no, really, some sort of staff weapon that doesn't suck would be cool too.

I imagine they'll just make it like 10/10 TPs per weapon rank, and only once per level.

Makkah
08-02-2007, 05:02 PM
On a serious note, aren't they modelling Elanthian monks towards European-style monks as opposed to Eastern?

Stanley Burrell
08-02-2007, 05:09 PM
On a serious note, aren't they modelling Elanthian monks towards European-style monks as opposed to Eastern?

I have no idea. Maybe with the Asiatic Erithianism goin' on, there might be more demand for a diverse monk...

I really dunno if those chanting monks from Monty Python's "Holy Grail" really cut the mustard when it comes to really just about anything combat-related, though. Really.

Sypher
08-02-2007, 06:19 PM

That would royally blow hard. I don't want to be friar tuck, I want to be focking bruce lee.

TheEschaton
08-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Uh, they're fucking monks, not ninjas. Nunchucks, sheesh.

Stanley Burrell
08-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Uh, they're fucking monks, not ninjas. Nunchucks, sheesh.

Hmm. I'm pretty certain that the human being on this planet who has grandmastered Ninjitsu stands pretty fickly in the shadow of Xiaolin monk Kung Fu.

Edit: For sparring purposes, anyway.

Deathravin
08-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Monks are dead - I'm not sure why they didn't take them out of the class selection and forums years ago.

To me, Monks and Savants are the quintesential Simu timeframe. 'coming in 2004!', then you never hear another word. They don't update the release date, they don't update their web sites, they lead their customers to believe they're working on it.

If they had the manpower to work on the Monks, they would have put that manpower to use on HJ.

Stanley Burrell
08-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Monks are dead - I'm not sure why they didn't take them out of the class selection and forums years ago.

To me, Monks and Savants are the quintesential Simu timeframe. 'coming in 2004!', then you never hear another word. They don't update the release date, they don't update their web sites, they lead their customers to believe they're working on it.

If they had the manpower to work on the Monks, they would have put that manpower to use on HJ.

Way to buzzkill :(

Warriorbird
08-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Monks in 2010!