PDA

View Full Version : Do you Roleplay?

Fallen
07-30-2007, 11:25 AM
A simple poll. Expound upon your answer if you feel the need to do so.

Anebriated
07-30-2007, 11:28 AM
Not as much as I used to.

Celephais
07-30-2007, 11:30 AM
This thread: http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=5036

Revived in poll form!

stupid re-hashed threads.

Edit: Apparently it was a poll... I know there was another thread semi-recently that was a poll too that asked this same awful question. I'm not sure what you expect to learn from this other than the fact that some people consider some pretty dumb stuff to be role-playing.

Sthrockmorton
07-30-2007, 11:30 AM
I dont feel there are as many opportunities as there used to be. Not through lack of Simu, but the players just dont seem to be as into RP these days.

Anebriated
07-30-2007, 11:34 AM
I think that can be attributed to Simu releasing more area's/towns despite the player base slowly declining. People are a lot more spread out these days than they were back when Icemule was new... Old Icemule used to be great fun, and very serious, just doesnt seem the same anywhere now.

Sthrockmorton
07-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I refuse to leave Icemule, I miss the days when people like Morstanya were always around.

Fallen
07-30-2007, 11:48 AM

Revived in poll form!

Edit: Apparently it was a poll... I know there was another thread semi-recently that was a poll too that asked this same awful question. I'm not sure what you expect to learn from this other than the fact that some people consider some pretty dumb stuff to be role-playing.

I wasn't aware there were any posts similar to this one. If that is what the above is I apologize for spamming. I created this post on a whim..it only took me about 10 seconds to make, I hope it didn't take you any longer to read. The point was to get a feel of how many people that post here roleplay (or as you said, believe that they do). IMO, though, if someone is making an effort, I don't really mind if it meets some unspoken standard or not. Just as long as it remains within policy.

Fallen
07-30-2007, 11:54 AM

Revived in poll form!

Also, GOD DAMN, Celephais...That original thread was made YEARS ago. The last post in it was in early 2004.

Asha
07-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Used to be an RP king as Shimmerain but no one else did during the GMT morning hours I played most often. So I just powerhunted and occasionally toasted Atreau for seemingly no reason.

Oh I did RP with Ithrael this last few months but cancelled the account completely to concentrate on WoW.

Drisco
07-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Boo.. poll you need to add one that says I role-play sometimes... I usually don't role-play as much as I should but if someone interacts with me and would like to RP I usually go along with it because I don't wanna ruin what they are trying to do. I never initiate the role-playing but will always go along with it if I am included.

Trouble
07-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Boo.. poll you need to add one that says I role-play sometimes... I usually don't role-play as much as I should but if someone interacts with me and would like to RP I usually go along with it because I don't wanna ruin what they are trying to do. I never initiate the role-playing but will always go along with it if I am included.

Yeah, even though I picked I never roleplay, this more accurately describes what I was like in GS. If some event or something was going on around me I might participate or at least not screw it up, but generally speaking, I was a power hunter most of the time.

Back
07-30-2007, 12:12 PM
When I started playing I had no concept of roleplaying. Then, over the years and through games other than GS I learned total IC immersion and the distinction between IC and OOC. Now I am always IC out of habit.

Part of the enjoyment for me is creating a character with a history, motivation, a role in his environment with their own quirks and flaws. I consider it my way of interactive fantasy novel hero writing.

My choice was yes and learning recently only because when I started I had no idea what the concept was and since I’ve been gaming on-line since 94 the whole concept only really sank in around 98-99.

Aaysia
07-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I'd pick the currently non-existant 'I RP sometimes" option. I try to when there are other people around, but these days something always seems to distract me during game play, so rather than zombie out at the statue in between a conversation, I just sit Aaysia in the Rock Garden in between hunts.

If I think I DO have the time to socialize, I'd hang at the statue for a lil bit.

Jolena
07-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Yep, I do.

Asha
07-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Aaysia! I thought you were on the wagon!
I'll never touch GS again now but only had a small lapse so it's ok lol

SHAME on you!

Aaysia
07-30-2007, 12:21 PM
Buh? Confused...

PM me and explain yourself! Or something.

Sean
07-30-2007, 12:26 PM
I focus more on accomplishing personal milestones generally through hunting and generally find very little interaction except for my couple of young GY hunters in the crypt. I don't go out of my way to RP but if I run into a situation that I feel is worth my time to RP out I'll do it.

CrystalTears
07-30-2007, 12:29 PM
I almost always roleplayed. Only time I didn't was when I was in a sanct or locked room to talk about something private and didn't feel like opening IMs at the time. But other than that, yeah usually was roleplaying. Sometimes I even roleplayed when I was hunting by myself as I never knew who was there or watching. I roleplayed more than I hunted anyway. I've missed roleplaying lately.

Celephais
07-30-2007, 12:47 PM
I wasn't aware there were any posts similar to this one. If that is what the above is I apologize for spamming. I created this post on a whim..it only took me about 10 seconds to make, I hope it didn't take you any longer to read. The point was to get a feel of how many people that post here roleplay (or as you said, believe that they do). IMO, though, if someone is making an effort, I don't really mind if it meets some unspoken standard or not. Just as long as it remains within policy.

Also, GOD DAMN, Celephais...That original thread was made YEARS ago. The last post in it was in early 2004.

Haha, yeah don't worry about it. I was just being a jerk. It's a very tough question to answer so cut and dry... because defining role-play is impossible when someone can claim that they're role-playing a recluse that only wants to hunt and rest.

ViridianAsp
07-30-2007, 12:51 PM
I Roleplay all the time. I like my characters to always be in character. The only time I don't RP is if I'm helping a friend pass something off to another character, or vice versa. That's usually done privately at a table or we whisper oocly to eachother and our characters don't interact.

If I am around someone who doesn't RP I feel uncomfortable playing with them and I tend to shy away from playing with them.

Probably makes me an RP snob, but I don't want to feel the urge to be OOC too.

Fallen
07-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Roleplaying sales is always tough. I will always make the effort, and it can actually be quite rewarding if the other person responds.

Fallen
07-30-2007, 01:08 PM
I tried to add the "Sometimes" option, but it seems I cannot.

SpunGirl
07-30-2007, 01:22 PM
I understand what people are saying about RP opportunities being scarce these days, but I think half the battle is that you have to *create* them. It can be difficult when people are retards. I've hardly done anything BUT RP my character for six years, and as a result of that plus the time I had to invest, she's not even level 40 yet (not saying that capped people don't RP, it just wasn't feasible for me to do both).

It's all a little give and take. I think the most rewarding bit is when you have a character that is miles apart from yourself personality-wise, yet you know them very well and are able to slip into their skin very easily.

-K

Celephais
07-30-2007, 01:54 PM
I've got some friends who don't role-play whom I enjoy being around because they're good people, but when I'm on my own I certainly do my best to stay in character and have a pretty good handle on how I like my character to act. Obviously I have issues when the two mix but I do enjoy the facade I give my characters.

As for looking for opportunities to have my character "shine" I rarely encounter them so it's quite possible for me to have friends that are "role-play" type of friends who really don't know the quirks of my character, just because it wouldn't be appropriate for me to just up and give primers on who I am and how I act.

Role-playing can be good, but if try to shove it down peoples throats it just has a foul taste, way too many people try to be the extremes w/ their RP if they are RPing and that just ruins it for me. Not enough people appreciate subtlety (heh, and fewer still recognize it)

SpunGirl
07-30-2007, 01:58 PM
I agree, Celephais. Staying IC and roleplaying doesn't mean you always have to be the center of attention, or the star of the room. Some people try way too hard, and it's very off-putting.

I used to know this guy who would always engage Naessi when they saw each other, and he'd do stuff like constantly scratch his neck. Then he'd IM me and be like DO YOU KNOW WHY HE'S DOING THAT???? and I was like UM NO and he was like WELL YOU HAVE TO FIGURE IT OUT HAHAHAHAHAHA

And I really didn't care.

-K

Latrinsorm
07-30-2007, 04:49 PM
I roleplay a know-it-all religious zealot. It's roleplay because the character actually has a penis.

CrystalTears
07-30-2007, 04:52 PM
I roleplay a know-it-all religious zealot.
I'm not at all surprised by this. Not much of a challenge is it? :tongue:

It's roleplay because the character actually has a penis. Thanks. I laughed so hard I had tears rolling down my face.

Sean of the Thread
07-30-2007, 05:06 PM
"The stolen pantalones were loose. They were too big and they flapped noisily as Tayre ran. Keeping to the rear of the Four Winds market buildings, avoiding piles of dung, seeking another glimpse of Malok before he was led away, Tayre ran. The men behind were excellent sprinters, and they were gaining."

"I have had enough of this!" he said, grabbing his +2 mithril penis mattock and waiting, panting, for the foremost of his two pursuers to barrel around the corner and make him feel like a real woman.

Sean
07-30-2007, 05:09 PM
so your character doesn't have a zaafro?

Zarli
07-30-2007, 05:19 PM
The whole "do you roleplay" question isn't easily defined. I dont walk around talking about OOC stuff, but my girls just exist in the lands doing their thing and being with their friends, I dont make up long histories filled with me being the tormented princess of the long lost dark elf king of whocareswhere.

My characters have personality, they're not hunt/rest sit in silence, they're neither bad nor good, they're just them.

So.. yes I always RP, but if the question is do I make up histories and am I an RP snob.. that's a big no.

Khariz
07-30-2007, 05:20 PM
CT's cat and Sean2's titties move rhythm with one another. That's awesome.

Sean
07-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Hmmm good points... I RP constantly my character just has a mild form of anthropophobia!

Ignot
07-30-2007, 09:45 PM
I usually don't RP. Bounty task, rest, bounty task, rest. I only keep busy now because of Psinet. There are a few close friends I will RP with but only because they have some strange ability to know when im RPing and when im not without even saying anything to them.

Merzbow
07-30-2007, 10:06 PM
Damn hard to RP when it's 1 AM PST, there are 250 people online, and the only other guy in Solhaven is shuttling back and forth between his 5 alts in order to heal, rez, and spell himself before rushing out again.

Shari
07-30-2007, 10:32 PM
This depends a lot on my characters location at the time. If she's by herself then not really. I have her swear a lot when she gets hit or screws up an attack while hunting though. I don't make it a POINT to generate a situation, and a lot of times Jesae will appear to be zoned out at the dais.

My alt, however, is not RPed at all at the moment. I'd like to keep her in hiding and really get her known to the population once I get her past level 20. Mostly because I don't feel like having my ass handed to me every time she decides to mouth-off.

Stunseed
07-30-2007, 10:34 PM
< I don't make it a POINT to generate a situation, and a lot of times Jesae will appear to be zoned out at the dais. >

By zoned out, she means she's daydreaming of ways to poison Stunseed.

Paradii
07-30-2007, 10:35 PM
Roleplaying only results in a loss of deeds, I dropped that shit like it was hot.

Shari
07-30-2007, 10:45 PM
< I don't make it a POINT to generate a situation, and a lot of times Jesae will appear to be zoned out at the dais. >

By zoned out, she means she's daydreaming of ways to poison Stunseed.

Oh well yeah, THAT.

B4Hand
07-30-2007, 10:56 PM
Yep, I do always rp, and as many say it is often simply doing the normal things my character(s) would be doing. None of them are elitists nor are they the anything spectacular..they are normal people..or whatever living normal(or not so normal) lives. Doing what they do, and rp'ing who they even if by themselves.

Sean of the Thread
07-31-2007, 12:25 AM
Oh well yeah, THAT.

That and you suck at GS except alteration whoring.