PDA

View Full Version : Official: Wither (1115) Preview

Fallen
07-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Wither (1115) will be the new high level attack spell for Empaths. The spell is predominately spiritual, but does have a mental aspect. Empaths do not actually cause the withering, but instead summon spirits which do. Once summoned, the spirits will attack their target at a random body location, causing it to wither away (disintegration crits). There are a set number of critical cycles, and if the target location is obliterated, the spirits will move to the next closest location of the target (e.g. head to neck). Spiritual Lore, Spirit Summoning will provide a chance for an additional crit cycle. Mental Lore, Manipulation will provide for a chance to completely wither away a target, leaving only its equipment and treasure behind.

Due to spirits causing the damage, they are able to more easily bridge the realms between the living and the dead (or undead) to harm their targets. Against non-corporeal targets, this spiritual onslaught is more devastating.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team

"I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly." - Michel de Montaigne

Fallen
07-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Here's a little preview:

You focus your thoughts while chanting the mystical phrase for Wither...
Your spell is ready.
You channel at an Ithzir seer.
Your mental command surges outward, echoing your need to the stray spirits nearby...
CS: +439 - TD: +378 + CvA: +25 + d100: +82 == +168
Warding failed!
A nebulous haze shimmers into view around an Ithzir seer, plunging inward to envelop her left leg!
... 20 points of damage!
Large portions of left thigh removed in a flash!
... 25 points of damage!
Hunks of muscle and bone disappear from left leg!
An Ithzir seer falls to the ground grasping her mangled left leg!
Cloudy tendrils creep outward from an Ithzir seer's left leg before vanishing into her abdomen.
... 70 points of damage!
Half of midsection reduced to a fine red mist! Now unsupported, half-vaporized organs topple out onto the ground!
What a mess!
The Ithzir seer vainly struggles to rise, then goes still.
The opalescent aura fades from around an Ithzir seer.
The deep blue glow leaves an Ithzir seer.
The Ithzir seer no longer bristles with energy.
The dim aura fades from around an Ithzir seer.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team

Fallen
07-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Basically, it is a 3x Powered cast of 705, with the ability to leave treasure behind in a vaporization...so does 705 when they downtweaked that insta-death flare.

Fallen
07-30-2007, 11:01 AM
What IS nice about the spell is it looks like it will focus on one specific part of the body until it is totally critted out. Nearly gauranteed rank 3's is good stuff.

Miss X
07-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Yummy. I can't wait!

Drisco
07-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Hmm when does it come out is what I wanna know lol.

Aaysia
07-30-2007, 12:14 PM
It looks cool! Maybe I should start working on my empath more now...

Davenshire
07-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Yeah reall nie spell for empaths. The way it works through ares is unbelivable. That along with crits and the chance to completely take the monster out....wow.

Have a lot of fun with it!
I look forward to seeing it in action.

Fallen
07-31-2007, 11:01 AM
>>I have a feeling Whither will come out before boneshatter even gets changed, I don't think the two will occur at the same time. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Wither and the Bone Shatter updates will be released simultaneously.

= - GM Oscuro - =

Empath/Cleric Team

Danical
07-31-2007, 12:59 PM
So, what are the updates slated for Bone Shatter?

When is the slated release date?

Fallen
07-31-2007, 01:18 PM
I would imagine very soon, as he meant to get it done BEFORE simucon, but was delayed. Bone Shatter is scheduled for a nerf, though it was commented that it would only affect those around end-game.

Mesaphe
07-31-2007, 01:43 PM
I would imagine very soon, as he meant to get it done BEFORE simucon, but was delayed. Bone Shatter is scheduled for a nerf, though it was commented that it would only affect those around end-game.

On the officials I'm almost positive they said it'd blantantly affect 50+, unless they've changed their mind and pushed it to even higher levels?

-Vae, et. al.

Fallen
07-31-2007, 01:45 PM
My comment sprung from one Oscuro/Estilid(always get the two mixed up) mentioned where he said with the lore training empaths could wrangle at later levels, the spell was vastly overpowered. A great many insta-vapes and what not. He said that is where most of the differences will be seen.

Fallen
07-31-2007, 01:50 PM
Ah, I see what you meant now, Vaedalis. I missed his following post where he described what he believed to be high level:

~T
Define high level or give a rough idea Estild?

50+

THROGG
This, to me, implies that boneshatter will remain quite effective, and only maximally trained empaths will see any reduction in effectiveness from what they see now.

My statements have mentioned nothing of maximally trained Empaths. Bone Shatter is not effective for low levels - so it will not remain effective, as it never was. For high level Empaths (as they are the ones that are able to generate "significant warding margins and have a lot of Empath spell ranks"), there will be a reduction in power - which will be replaced by Wither (1115).

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team

Mesaphe
07-31-2007, 02:07 PM
Personally, I'm looking forward to the changes. I got used to bolt hunting as early on as I could, so Bone Shatter has never been a crutch for me (I doubt, even being over 50, I'll even notice the difference). From the sound of it, Wither will add some more variety to the list and that's definately a plus.

I will, however, cry salty tears of bitterness when empaths lose the 200's, but I'll save them for the many years down the line when monks finally come out ;)

Drew2
08-01-2007, 12:51 AM
I'm starting to feel the faintest pangs of regret for selling Tayre. Not quite enough to really care though.

Drisco
08-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Heh, I'd sell him back if yah wanted him. I hate seeing people not being able to get there own characters back.

Renian
08-02-2007, 03:07 AM
This spell looks like it fully makes up for the incoming 1106 nerf. Especially due to the part that says it will wreck non-corporeal targets, which I'm sure is making empaths that hunt the temple cackle with glee.

Drisco
08-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Is it true its going to cost 15 mana? Because this brings down my excitement as it does almost as much damage as Bone shatter for double the price.

Danical
08-02-2007, 05:19 PM
I would pay double for the way the crits move to a vital location.

Drisco
08-02-2007, 10:13 PM
See but I wonder the odd of it starting at head or neck. Also how do we know if it will start at the chest and just won't move to the arms next instead of the head.

Danical
08-03-2007, 03:42 PM

If you obliterate the chest/back/abs . . . shouldn't the creature be dead?

Fallen
08-04-2007, 10:17 AM
I am going to say no. It will just stack the injuries, like a warrior repeatedly getting hit in the same spot while wearing plate, then move on when it cannot make the wound worse.

Danical
08-04-2007, 05:32 PM
I am going to say no. It will just stack the injuries, like a warrior repeatedly getting hit in the same spot while wearing plate, then move on when it cannot make the wound worse.

Perhaps. It would be nice if they changed the combat mechanics such that if a target location has a rank 3 wound and the creature is still alive, you may still target that location (e.g. rank 3 wound to eye but creature remains alive so further hits targeting the eye default to the chest).

I'm curious to know what the disintegration death-crit thresholds are for each body location.

Drisco
08-10-2007, 06:05 AM
Waiting....

Fallen
08-10-2007, 09:22 AM
I dunno. I dont get into the nuts and bolts of mechanics like that.

Deathravin
08-27-2007, 11:49 PM
If you haven't used your fixskill yet, I'd wait until 1115 comes out. (likely this month or next)
Thread (http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=20973)

Sounds like Empaths are being strung along too... We should call you 'the up-and-coming Sorcerers'.

Kembal
08-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Damn. It's been almost a year? :(

I get the feeling they're still working on revising 1106. Argh.

Although, I find it interesting that I've gained 14 levels in a year, heh.

Fallen
08-28-2007, 12:59 PM
I believe a GM said he wanted to get this out before Simucon, but didn't quite manage it. I doubt this will be too long in coming out. There have been several big storylines going on at the moment. Perhaps once a few of those are wrapped up things will start moving on this front.

Fallen
08-31-2007, 08:31 AM
Posted Yesterdayish...
----

There will be in game release event, that I would expect to take at least a week to complete. Of course, it's up to the players to watch for this herald, as there will not be an official post specifically stating you have X amount of time left.

I'd honestly like to say I expect this release to happen quite soon (within a month), but I was already burnt my by "before SimuCon" statement. However, I will end with that the delay is worth the wait, as all things have not been revealed to Empaths. :P

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team

Danical
08-31-2007, 12:58 PM
I've heard through various channels that it IS indeed worth the wait and Empaths all around should really be happy with the changes.

iJin
09-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Is it true that empaths are getting a fixskill with the release of 1115?

That'd be soo great.

fallenSaint
09-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Who let Zuie onto these boards?! Anywho I dont think there was an officially comment about the fixskill? I think its more speculation.

iJin
09-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Oh no. You must know me. :[

Anyways, I heard alot of my empath friends talking about a extra fix skill for wither. I need some info quick! I wanna buy a damn fix skill potion but don't want to waste money if one is just gonna come out. :\ I need to turn Zuie into a caster. ugh.

Fallen
09-04-2007, 10:16 PM
I BELIEVE you will be getting one. Worst comes to worst, you can buy one if you dont get one. I am fairly certain you do, though.

fallenSaint
09-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Right I'm sure they plan on dropping one with the change since its kinda major for Empaths but I just can't seem to find a specific official statement claiming there will be one is all.

Fallen
09-05-2007, 01:06 AM
If you post on the officials in the empath folder I am sure Oscuro will tell you. Great GM, him.

Kembal
09-05-2007, 09:53 AM
It was confirmed a while back. I asked. Empaths do get a fixskill upon the release of 1115 and the changes to 1106.

iJin
09-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Kembal, you made my morning. Sweett.

peam
09-07-2007, 10:07 AM
This spell should be pretty useful for the roltons and kobolds that sometimes wander into TSC.

Fallen
09-07-2007, 03:22 PM
The fucking rock and roll clown is not a pessimist.