PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Books...

grapedog
07-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Need some suggestions for some good Sci-Fi books...

I'm not big into the military action type stuff...but some fighting is ok. Other than that I'm pretty much open to whatever. Also, doesn't necessarily have to be about space flight. Things like time travel, alien invasions...all sorts of Sci-Fi are open game. I read a LOT, and go through books pretty quickly...so I'm always on the look-out for new stuff or stuff I may have missed.

Caede
07-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Two quick suggestions:

- Hyperion Series, Dan Simmons. Specifically the first book (Hyperion (http://www.amazon.com/Hyperion-Dan-Simmons/dp/0575076372/)), told somewhat like the Canterbury Tales.

If you get into Simmons, almost all his stuff is great including The Terror, his most recent, which is not really sci-fi -- more supernatural horror, based on the failed Sir Franklin NW-passage expedition. Amazing stuff.

- 'Hope' series, by David Feintuch. Horatio Hornblower in space. Start with Midshipman's Hope.

--
Caede

grapedog
07-25-2007, 09:33 PM
Already done Hyperion, and it's sequal...but not the third one I think. Haven't seen the second suggestion though...I'll add that to my list.

Keep em coming...

Back
07-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Gibson’s Nueromancer, Mona Lisa Overdrive. Spook Country comes out August 7th.

Niel Stephenson’s Snow Crash

grapedog
07-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Gibson’s Nueromancer, Mona Lisa Overdrive. Spook Country comes out August 7th.

Niel Stephenson’s Snow Crash

Read Snow Crash, I'm not a fan of Stephenson's off the wall style...though it was a good book.

Neuromancer, I thought Neil Gaimen(sp?) wrote something along those lines. Added it to my list regardless along with Mona Lisa Overdrive.

keep em coming...

Back
07-25-2007, 09:51 PM
Niel Gaiman and Terry Prachett wrote Good Omens. It was ok. More modern fantasy if I remember right.

Another one I just remembered is Gibson and Sterling’s Difference Engine. Good steampunk novel.

grapedog
07-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Niel Gaiman and Terry Prachett wrote Good Omens. It was ok. More modern fantasy if I remember right.

Another one I just remembered is Gibson and Sterling’s Difference Engine. Good steampunk novel.

I really liked Gaimans American Gods...but didn't get into Good Omens that much. For some reason, certain types of humor in books, turns me off. Good Omens was that way, I really don't like the Hitchhiker series either...not sure why. I'll definitely check out Gibson though...I'm all for steampunk.

Of late, I've read most of Alastair Reynolds stuff...it's pretty far out there some of it, but very good reading.

fallenSaint
07-25-2007, 10:58 PM
Star Wars ftw. Got the entire collection on ebook if you wants some reads.