PDA

View Full Version : Food Recall: Castleberry's Food Co.

Gan
07-24-2007, 10:28 AM
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A recall of canned meat products and dog food made at a Georgia plant due to botulism fears could involve tens of millions of cans that pose an urgent public health threat, U.S. officials said on Monday.

U.S. food regulators appealed to consumers and retailers to find and dispose of the cans.

Two people in Texas and two others in Indiana remain seriously ill and hospitalized with botulism poisoning associated with eating Castleberry's Hot Dog Chili Sauce, officials said.

"This is a very big recall," David Elder of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's office of regulatory affairs told reporters, deeming it an "urgent public health matter."

"These products can hurt people. And they have to be off the store shelves. And consumers have to discard any that they have at home," Elder added.

U.S. officials said an outbreak of botulism due to a commercially canned food is extremely rare and has not occurred in the United States in more than three decades.

Castleberry's Food Co. said on Saturday it had voluntarily expanded a recall of hot dog chili sauce and canned meat products originally announced on July 18 due to a risk of botulinum toxin, a bacterium that can cause botulism.

Castleberry's is a unit of Connors Bros. Income Fund's Bumble Bee Foods division.

The recall by Castleberry's originally affected 10 products. The expanded move involves more than 80 types of stew, chili, hash and other products as well as pet food sold under a variety of brand names.

"You're talking about tens of millions of cans that may have been involved. That doesn't mean that's how many are still out on shelves. But that's sort of the scale," added Robert Bracket, director of the FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition.

TRACING SHIPMENTS
U.S. regulators are trying to track down distribution records from the company, Bracket said, adding that officials view this as a nationwide recall.

Botulism is a potentially fatal illness. Symptoms include dizziness, double vision, difficulty in breathing and abdominal problems.

The cans that sickened the four people were produced at the plant on May 7 and May 8, officials said.

Connors Bros. said it will keep the plant in Augusta, Georgia, closed until given the all-clear by health officials.

"Production will not resume until FDA is satisfied that all conditions that resulted in this recall and these dangerous products have been corrected," Elder said, adding that the FDA last inspected the plant in February.

Officials said 16 out of 17 cans that have been tested have turned up positive for the bacterium that causes botulism.

"The decision was made to add an additional layer of protection and to assure the highest margin of safety by recalling all products produced on this line, regardless of the best-by date on the can," said Dave Melbourne, Castleberry's senior vice president.

Consumers with any questions are urged to view Castleberry's Web site www.castleberrys.com (http://www.castleberrys.com). A toll-free hotline is also available at 1-800-203-4412 or 1-888-203-8446.

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSN2337595620070723?feedType=RSS&rpc=22&sp=true

__________________________________________________ __

Sean of the Thread
07-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Wow that's a shit ton of botulism.

Satira
07-24-2007, 11:24 AM
STOP TRYING TO POISON OUR DOGS.

Stanley Burrell
07-24-2007, 11:44 AM
Hormel Chili, muddafuckaaaaz!!!!!!!!11111111111111111onethree.

Carry on.

Gan
07-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Wolf brand chili, enough said.

Sean of the Thread
07-24-2007, 11:54 AM

Uhm did a Texan really just admit to eating canned chili off the shelf?

:wtf:

Gan
07-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Contrary to popular belief. My grill doesnt run 24 hours a day.

And while yes, I make a mean chilli, I do have times where I have none frozen and require a substitute for hotdogs or frito pie at the last minute.

Damn, now you have me craving my chilli. Think I'll make another batch this weekend.

Clove
07-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Hey look, a consumer safety issue that didn't originate in China! I'm glad I make my own chili, want the recipe Ganalon?

Stanley Burrell
07-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Man, I want some chili now, man. Man.

Clove
07-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Aw screw it. Ganalon may have his own recipe but as a consumer service I'll provide mine anyway:

Chili

2lb. Ground Beef
3 medium onions (chopped approx 2 cups)
1 bell pepper (chopped approx 1 cup)
2 poblano chilis (chopped approx 1 cup)
1 can dark red kidney beans
3 C tomato sauce
2 C diced tomatoes
8 garlic cloves (minced)
4 T ground ancho chili (or chili powder but it won’t be as good)
1 T paprika
1/2 T oregano
1 T cumin
½ t cayenne
1 t salt
1 t pepper
4 T brown sugar
2 t white vinegar
1 oz melted semi-sweet baking chocolate
Olive oil for sauteeing

Combine sauce and tomatoes, kidney beans, vinegar, brown sugar, melted chocolate, salt and pepper in large stewpot (8+ qt) or crockpot and simmer on low heat.

Brown beef in batches being careful not to crowd the pan, drain thoroughly and set in large mixing bowl.

Sautee onions in a little olive oil until they become clear. Combine with beef mixture.

Sautee peppers in a little olive oil for 5-6 minutes or until chunks are soft. Combine with beef mixture.

Combine remaining spices with beef mixture and mix thoroughly. Add mixture to sauce. Simmer 3-4 hours on low stirring occassionally.

Sean of the Thread
07-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Your chili is disqualified since you live in New England.

Gan
07-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Nice chilli Clove.

Mine is a little different, without going into any national secrets ;) I'll say that I use cubed steak (fliet mignon for tenderness), serrano peppers in addition to poblanos, and red onions in addition to 1015 sweet onions. There are also a few variants to the spices you use, but thats just because my chilli generates a little different taste.

And the longer you simmer, the better it tastes (like my homemade pasta sauce). The hard part is having the will power to resist pulling it off the burner to eat when you've been smelling it throughout the house for the past 4 hours.

Clove
07-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Your chili is disqualified since you live in New England.

Yeah but don't let that fool you. This particular recipe is a blending of three honest to goodness Texas recipes. It's all in the spices, particularly the ground ancho chili (chili powder just isn't the same) and New England has access to fresh spices as well as Texas. My favorite distributer below:

http://www.atlanticspice.com/

My wife will eat it non-stop whenever I make it and my Uncle (a bit of a chili nut) inhales it.

I would use more peppers Ganalon but here it's mostly about access and I can always rely on getting bells and poblanos. I have considered using red onions for a little more natural sweetness.

Celephais
07-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Aw screw it. Ganalon may have his own recipe but as a consumer service I'll provide mine anyway:

Chili

2lb. Ground Beef
3 medium onions (chopped approx 2 cups)
1 bell pepper (chopped approx 1 cup)
2 poblano chilis (chopped approx 1 cup)
1 can dark red kidney beans
3 C tomato sauce
2 C diced tomatoes
8 garlic cloves (minced)
4 T ground ancho chili (or chili powder but it won’t be as good)
1 T paprika
1/2 T oregano
1 T cumin
½ t cayenne
1 t salt
1 t pepper
4 T brown sugar
2 t white vinegar
1 oz melted semi-sweet baking chocolate
Olive oil for sauteeing

Combine sauce and tomatoes, kidney beans, vinegar, brown sugar, melted chocolate, salt and pepper in large stewpot (8+ qt) or crockpot and simmer on low heat.

Brown beef in batches being careful not to crowd the pan, drain thoroughly and set in large mixing bowl.

Sautee onions in a little olive oil until they become clear. Combine with beef mixture.

Sautee peppers in a little olive oil for 5-6 minutes or until chunks are soft. Combine with beef mixture.

Combine remaining spices with beef mixture and mix thoroughly. Add mixture to sauce. Simmer 3-4 hours on low stirring occassionally.

When do I add the botulinum?

CrystalTears
07-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Goddamn you people and talk of chili.

Back
07-24-2007, 01:34 PM

Best canned chili in the world. You have some taste after all.

Gan
07-24-2007, 01:42 PM
When do I add the botulinum?

Right after the salt.

On the note of chilli. We have a foodstore chain here (Randalls) that makes a brand called stompin steakhouse chilli. For a mass produced deli-chilli, its not too bad. (Great for lunch while I'm at work - especially since the Randall's grocery store is right next door so I can get it fresh).

Blazing247
07-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Beans in chili, what a waste. Also cubed meat is way better than ground beef. For canned, I'd have to say Skyline, which a relative in OH ships me all the time.

Gan
07-24-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm not a bean freak, so my chilli has either a no-bean version (my favorite) or a light bean version (competition version).

Clove
07-24-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm not a bean freak, so my chilli has either a no-bean version (my favorite) or a light bean version (competition version).

Yeah I don't like lots of beans in my chili either. You might notice it has one can of beans which ain't much when you put it with 2 lbs of meat and 3 cups of tomato sauce etc.

Feel free to substitute any kind of beef you want. We po' folk in New England use ground beef because its cheap.

The story I heard is that old fashioned Texas chili had no veggies at all, just beef, stock and spices because they felt that peppers, onions, beans etc would make it a "stew"

Ganalon is exempt because he's already complimented my recipe. For the rest of you critics put up yours, or shaddap.

Stanley Burrell
07-24-2007, 10:48 PM
8 garlic cloves (minced)

True. That.

Gotta :respect: the cloves, Clove :yes:

Nieninque
07-25-2007, 05:42 AM
a) Anyone who eats chilli out of a can deserves botulism...peasants.
b) Ganalon, when and why did you change your name?

Clove
07-25-2007, 07:29 AM
True. That.

Gotta :respect: the cloves, Clove :yes:

Recognize.

A guest for dinner asked my mom once if there was garlic in one of the dishes. My mom replied, "Is it sweet? If it isn't sweet it has garlic in it." That's pretty much how we about garlic.

Gan
07-25-2007, 07:36 AM
b) Ganalon, when and why did you change your name?

Name changed yesterday when the sale of Ganalon was official.

TheEschaton
07-25-2007, 07:53 AM
Wow, Gan's new name, freaky.

Nieninque
07-25-2007, 10:09 AM
Oh, ok...I guess that makes some sense...just some.

Clove
07-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Name changed yesterday when the sale of Ganalon was official.

Aww you should have done it like "The Real Ghostbusters" i.e. The Real Ganalon.