PDA

View Full Version : HP: Deathly Hallows (!!!OMG SPOILERS OMG!!!)

Numbers
07-20-2007, 11:40 AM
WARNING!

WARNING!

DO NOT READ FURTHER UNLESS YOU HAVE FINISHED THE BOOK!

THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS!

MANY OF THEM!

IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO HAVE THE BOOK SPOILED, READ NO FURTHER!

FIRST WARNING!

THIS POST DISCUSSES WHO DIED IN THE BOOK!

SECOND WARNING!

THIS POST DISCUSSES THE END OF THE BOOK!

THIRD WARNING!

DO NOT BLAME ME IF YOU READ THIS POST AND HAVE THE STORY SPOILED!

LAST CHANCE, LAST WARNING!

So, with that out of the way, for those of you who have read and finished it, what did you think?

In general, I thought it was a very good book, though not as deep as her others (especially Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix). But this book will definitely make an excellent movie, with all of the action scenes and narrow escapes. There was pretty much a battle of some sort every three or four chapters. Of course, on the flipside, the space between those battles was pretty much just the trio running around and hiding. The fight between Harry and Ron seemed utterly pointless.

I was disappointed that nobody more important died. I think Hedwig, Dobby, Mad-Eye's, and Snape's deaths saddened me the most. Mostly because Hedwig and Dobby were so innocent, Mad-Eye because I liked his character, and Snape because of the method of his death, especially given all the information that was given about him afterwards. Fred's death didn't bother me that much, mostly because Fred and George were practically one character throughout the whole series anyway... they shared a personality, they never had individual ones. Tonks was never all the integral to the story. Wormtail's death was too short, and Bellatrix I never really cared about.

I definitely enjoyed the final war at Hogwarts, though I wish we could have seen more on how powerful the professors were. I didn't like the second half of the battle, with the house elves and the centaurs and the Hogsmead villagers showing up to help and pretty much wiping out all the death eaters. I half expected some ewoks to show up.

The destruction of all the Horcruxes made perfect sense, and I find it interesting that of all the Horcruxes, Harry only destroyed the diary... all the others were destroyed by other people: Dumbledore, Ron, Hermione, Crabbe, Neville, and Voldemort.

The Deathly Hallows seemed too lightly brushed on.

The final battle between Voldemort and Harry was a bit disappointing and cheesy. Too much talking and circling, with only one spell cast in the duel at all. The epilogue didn't seem necessary, but opens up the series for more books.

I also like how my one paragraph theory in the other thread was more close to what happened than the essays written by other people.

Khariz
07-20-2007, 12:54 PM
NOTHING BUT SPOILERS HERE TOO

Yeah, the first thing I wanted to do after I finished the book was IM TheE and say HAHAAHAHAH Harry was indeed a Horcrux, I fucking told you.

But, I didn't.

I pretty much agree with what you said. The book was good, but not mindblowing. I can't think of one thing that happened in the book that I didn't predict. Well one thing. I thought Harry was gonna die.

Which leads me to agreeing with you that then ending was cheesy. Both by putting a 19 year (or whatever) gap, she left open not only more of Harry's personal storyline, but will allow for the spinoffs of "The Adventures of Albus Severus Potter".

Yay.

But yeah, my favorite parts from a "yeah, this is what I've been waiting for" standpoint were the memories of Snape, and the explanations of Dumbledore in the Kings Cross Limbo. Though nothing was in Snapes memories that I didn't already guess. The hole Harry kinda dying but coming back to life thing kinda pissed me off. I had thought , okay Harry is a horcrux so he must die. I didn't know Rowling was gonna pull of tackiness and let him live.

Drisco
07-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Spoilers highlight to read!
~
~
~
~
~
~

The book satisfied my needs wholly. I liked the corny ending it gave me a sense of closure. I was pumped that none of the 3 died. I thought that for sure Hermione was gonna die when Ron and Harry went to go get the sword in the pond and just left her there all by her lonesome and when they returned she'd be dead or something.

I loved the closing gap between Snape best part by far. It really made me feel more sympathy for him than any other character.

It troubled me how Fred died tho. Why kill one if the other doesn't die? How cruel. I also disliked how she left the baby an orphan but liked how it then made harry a father.

I'd rate it 7 Horcrux out of 7

TheEschaton
07-21-2007, 02:20 PM

I finished reading it, and apparently I've never been so wrong in my life. About the only thing I was right about was Snape and the fact that Dumbledore had a will.

As for the deaths, I was surprised someone more major didn't die. And, of all the deaths, Snape's pissed me off the most - he was the one who should have been redeemed at the least - it was all true, for so many years he had been the most loyal, most courageous of the anti-Voldemort forces.

As for the whole King's Cross thing. Come on - he should have died, and his destruction should have destroyed Voldemort too, as Voldemort took action against himself.

And what was the point of the whole Deathly Hollows thing?? So he wouldn't die when V killed him? Why was there only three? the symbolism points to four.

It all makes little to no sense to me, on a symbolic scale.

Best line of the book, though, in Snape's last memory, when Dumbledore finishes planning his death with Snape, he says, "Sometimes, I fear we Sort too soon."

Edited to add: I suppose you can say "I told you so" now.
Edited to add again: As for Harry being a Horcrux....I mean, come on....Voldemort ACCIDENTLY made a Horcrux? That's suuuuuuuch bullshit.

-TheE-

Drew2
07-21-2007, 06:15 PM
I knew that Cho being important was complete shit. Avenging Cedric's death? Please. That was so not important anymore.

TheEschaton
07-21-2007, 08:32 PM
By the way, whow as the character who was going to do magic that we wouldn't be expecting?

-TheE-

Khariz
07-21-2007, 08:32 PM
Yeah TheE, it's buillshit, but it's exactly what I was predicting.

It was actually my co-workers idea that took me a while to warm up to.

And yeah, Snape was the only death I cared about.

TheEschaton
07-21-2007, 08:37 PM
When she says "Two Major Characters Will Die." Who the fuck were those? Voldemort and Snape???

You can't let the completely-good-guys get away scot free. What, fucking Fred, Lupin, and Tonks in exchange for Snape (who was good but always came off bad), Bella, and Voldemort?? What the fuck. It really annoys me that all three, Harry, Hermione, and Ron, got away.

Bobmuhthol
07-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Voldemort and Snape were pretty major.

TheEschaton
07-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Eh.

Khariz
07-21-2007, 08:51 PM
By the way, whow as the character who was going to do magic that we wouldn't be expecting?

-TheE-

Um Harry Potter using unforgiveable curses? Imperius and Cruciatus.

Khariz
07-21-2007, 08:52 PM
Eh.

I agree. Did we really NOT expect Voldemort to die? Snape was important, but he's not what I think of as a "main character". Not any more than Fred anyway. (meaning neither)

TheEschaton
07-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Ah, I guess. I was expecting a non-magical person doing some magic of some sort. Overall, I'm relatively aggrevated.

Numbers
07-21-2007, 09:03 PM
One thing that I didn't like about the book was how it mirrored the Half Blood Prince, which I think was one of the weaker books in the series. Whereas Half Blood Prince was essentially Voldermort's life story, a good portion of Deathly Hallows was Dumbledore's life story.

TheEschaton
07-21-2007, 09:13 PM
What I didn't like was how Dumbledore made past mistakes, but hadn't made mistakes in regards to the Horcruxes, except for the minor one with Nagini, which was more of a misdirection for Harry than a mistake. When HBP definitely set up Dumbledore for being seriously wrong about something in the present.

-theE-

Gelston
07-21-2007, 09:24 PM
OMG YOU RUINED THE BOOK FOR ME!

thefarmer
07-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Speaking of Cho, at the release party I saw a cute girl wearing a shirt that had this printed.

Front: Harry Power
Back:Cho Is A Ho

Gan
07-22-2007, 11:44 AM
I enjoyed the book, immensely.

And yes, I was suprised at Harry being the 7th and unwitting/unwilling Horcrux. So Khariz can say "I told you so".

TheEschaton
07-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Oh, by the way, never received my pre-ordered book from Amazon yesterday. Getting a full refund ftw.

Khariz
07-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Oh, by the way, never received my pre-ordered book from Amazon yesterday. Getting a full refund ftw.

I did.

They did that weird UPSing the book to the USPS and then the USPS delivered it on saturday. Pretty odd.

Bobmuhthol
07-22-2007, 01:27 PM
<<They did that weird UPSing the book to the USPS and then the USPS delivered it on saturday. Pretty odd.>>

That happens, oh, I don't know... all the time.

Numbers
07-22-2007, 01:51 PM
I forgot, who was it that told the death eaters when Harry & Co. were leaving his aunt's house? When Moody and Hedwig died? Was that Mundungus or Snape?

Khariz
07-22-2007, 01:52 PM
<<They did that weird UPSing the book to the USPS and then the USPS delivered it on saturday. Pretty odd.>>

That happens, oh, I don't know... all the time.

It may, first time in my life it's happened to me though.

TheEschaton
07-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Dumbledore's painting told it to Snape. Snape gave Harry a good chance to live by confunding Mundungus to suggest the idea of everyone Polyjuicing into 7 different Harrys.

-theE-

TheEschaton
07-22-2007, 02:11 PM
By the way - how did Snape get into 12 Grimmauld place to get that picture and letter? Because when the Dumbledore-thing said "Severus Snape?" he could honestly respond, "I didn't kill you, Dumbledore"?

-Thee-

Khariz
07-22-2007, 03:33 PM
But he did kill him. Just because it was pre-arranged doesn't mean he didn't kill him.

grapedog
07-22-2007, 04:59 PM
By the way - how did Snape get into 12 Grimmauld place to get that picture and letter? Because when the Dumbledore-thing said "Severus Snape?" he could honestly respond, "I didn't kill you, Dumbledore"?

-Thee-

yeah, but what about the wands true allegiance...if Snape really killed him, as opposed to just granting AD's wish...then the wand would have been Snapes all along...?

I overall like the book, though they didn't need to go into the 19 years later. I've always had a problem with stories like that...I would have much rather preferred to see Harry and Ginny walking away side by side with Ron and Hermione. Let it end there...

You have Mad Eye, Tonks, Lupin, Fred, Dobby, Hedwig and Snape...vs. Voldermort, Bellatrix and Crabbe as actual developed characters who died. I'd call it a fair trade for the most part...

I think that final fight should have left the house elves and centaurs out of it...just have the parents of those kids still at the school, plus hogsmeade people and whomever else come back to fight. Let it be amongst the wizards...

Overall, excellent book...loved the part where McGonagall animated all the suits of armor..."hogwarts is under attack..., do your duty and protect the school"

Again, she definitely should have left out the 19 years later part, I can definitely see myself skipping that part next time.

TheEschaton
07-22-2007, 06:14 PM
No, the whole point is that the Elder Wand belonged to Draco once he disarmed Dumbledore. Snape's killing thus came after the Elder Wand's allegiance was Draco's.

-TheE-

Vesi
07-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Overall, I liked the book. In my opinion, the running and hiding was just a bit too much filler. I would have liked to have heard more about the changes in the Wizard world while this was going on instead of those three sitting around arguing, sighing, etc...

Snape... well of course I think everyone always figured Snape was really one of the good guys. I figured the Weasleys would lose someone because there were so many of them. Let's take a twin... there's always another one. I also wished they'd given more details on the actual Deathly Hollows. That part just didn't seem as fleshed out as it should have to me.

The 19 years later part... we had all figured who would get married and all. It left me curious about Luna and a few other folks and where they were. One positive thing about it was it showed Draco with his family and that showed that Dumbledore actually gave him a future when he had Snape kill him instead of the Death Eaters forcing Draco to do it.

All in all, I enjoyed it. My biggest complaint of the day was having to change reading areas so many times because the book was so damn heavy!

Vesi

Sean of the Thread
07-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Snape kills dumbledore

thefarmer
07-23-2007, 06:47 AM
It felt way too overhyped and rushed for me.

All the hype about 'People are going to die OMG!' and there's about three sentences talking about everyone who died (Lupin/Tonks dead on the ground, Fred or George, whoeever, etc). I had already gotten to the next page before I realize that was it. You'd think Harry would dwell on the fact that his godson just got BOTH HIS PARENTS FUCKING CAPPED, JUST LIKE HIM, instead of being like, oh, they're dead. I'm sad, then running off to fuck around with Voldemort and kill him with one spell.

Snape got a little more for a death scene, but even that seemed rushed too.

There was also much author hype about 'Using spells you don't expect' or some such. Did anyone really notice anything spectactularly different? Yes Potter started using killing curses.. but really, did anyone expect differently of him? If that was what she was meaning, than I call overhyped gyp.

The author could have done a much better job ending the series. Instead it felt like a forced, rushed piece of sub-standard materiel that falls way short of even my limited expectations.

StrayRogue
07-23-2007, 06:51 AM
Whats the last line, btw?

Bobmuhthol
07-23-2007, 06:54 AM
"The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well."

TheEschaton
07-23-2007, 07:06 AM
Yeah, the photographed copy on the web was real, much to Scholastic's dismay.

Numbers
07-23-2007, 07:55 AM
I'm still surprised that JKR is ready to walk away from the series. There's still a lot more she could do with that world, and Harry Potter is pretty much a license to print money. I guess she feels that having more money than the queen is enough for her.

Trouble
07-23-2007, 09:44 AM

-Thee-

There was plenty of time between when the building was first re-occupied until Sirius died for Snape to do some sneaking around. Possibly even some time after Sirius died but before they put the lockdown on the house.

As far as my opinions on the book, I think the ending was a bit cheesy, with all the centaurs and stuff. I agree that maybe more parents or simply the residents of Hogsmeade would have been ok. The whole Mrs. Weasly using the word bitch was a bit goofy for me too. I also was a little let down about the deaths. I thought Hagrid would get killed for sure and some of the deaths they did have I thought would be a little more dramatic. I wasn't surprised about Harry being a horcrux though.

The epilogue was kinda dumb but at least it gave her intentions for the future with at least some things open for the HP fans to speculate about. Overall though it was pretty good for a book aimed at 9-12 year olds. I read it in basically one sitting, so I'll likely go back and re-read it eventually to maybe notice more nuances. I'm thinking my favorite is still PoA or maybe OotP.

Sean of the Thread
07-23-2007, 09:53 AM
A fucking spoiler warning would have been nice. thx assholes.

Gan
07-23-2007, 10:23 AM
A fucking spoiler warning would have been nice. thx assholes.

LOL

(you should have italicized it, or added ... enhancements; so it wont confuse the easily confused)
:whistle:

SpunGirl
07-23-2007, 03:36 PM
I loved it. I think it's easy to become overly critical about how this should've happened or that was retarded, but be realistic: Harry Potter is JK's story, and we're just reading it. It is what it is. I would've liked to have seen Neville finish off Bellatrix, but the imagery of the dowdy, frumpy Mrs. Weasly kicking ass was good. I agree that reading about the movements of the trio (and for awhile, the duo) was slightly frustrating and drawn-out, but a good writer will evoke emotions in the reader similar to what the characters are feeling.

You didn't expect it to be easy for them, did you?

From what JK said, something to the effect of, "Someone will manage magic quite late in life," I didn't see that at all - unless you count Ariana in the portrait as magic? I also enjoyed reading about Dumbledore and how he, too, had flaws and insecurities. In addition, the Malfoy family slightly redeemed itself. They realized (a little late) that the Death Eater lifestyle sucked and was not so much fun when they had a son they cared about. Draco and Harry will clearly never be friends, but Draco has obviously modified his asshole ways. It didin't mention his wife by name, so it couldn't be Pansy Parkinson.

Harry coming back to life? C'mon, it's Aslan all over again. It's a common enough fable, it seems, that if you give yourself up for sacrifice then you'll be allowed to stick around. Doesn't answer why Dumbledore couldn't, but hey, Harry lived:) Oh, and the mirror? Yeah, it was important. Time to figure out how to horseshoe that into the seventh movie, screenwriters!

I liked the Epilogue. Who cares if it was cheesy?

-K

Gan
07-23-2007, 03:53 PM
I would say the Epilogue was closure; but then again, it still leaves open the 19 years of post-Voldemort wizarding society.

I think that 7 books focusing on Potter specifically is enough.

It would be interesting to see some spinoff books detailing some specifics such as Olivander and wand lore.

I too would like to see Neville's story. And also seeing some history on purebloods such as the Blacks, Malfoy's, and perhaps the Weasley's - perhaps this could all be made into one book on the purebloods (including the Longbottoms).

I think hearing Moody's story would be interesting too, perhaps tying in to the history of the Order of the Phoenix.

And I'd love to see: Hogwart's A History made where it goes into detail some of the old magic and the 4 founders as well as some early aspects of the school.

One last thought would be Dumbledore's story evolving into the story of early Voldemort wrapping up with the death of Harry's parents and the emergency of the boy who lived.

Lots of possibilities.

Bobmuhthol
07-23-2007, 04:02 PM
<<I would say the Epilogue was closure>>

What about the adventures of Albus Severus Potter?!?!

Gan
07-23-2007, 04:03 PM
<<I would say the Epilogue was closure>>

You left out the 2nd half of the quoted sentence.

Bobmuhthol
07-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Okay.

<<I would say the Epilogue was closure; but then again, it still leaves open the 19 years of post-Voldemort wizarding society.>>

SpunGirl
07-23-2007, 04:09 PM
I feel bad for the kid who got named "Albus Severus" when his siblings have nice, normal names like Lily and James. I love the Malfoy family's talent for choosing icky names. There could be a girl named Arachnia, even!

-K

Khariz
07-23-2007, 04:09 PM
The second half of the sentence isn't important to what he said.

The adventures of Albus Severus Potter would come alone AFTER the 19 years, starting after the Epilogue. It would not be encompassed in the years before.

But yeah, she left herself open to many other stories than those of just Harry Potter, though by making 19 years pass, she didn't forclose more Harry Potter stories either, which I think is a shame.

As to this book? It was good, but I felt like she was almost writing a movie script instead of a book. Action, filler that won't need to be shown in a move, action, repeat, etc.

Oh well, it was still a decent end to the whole thing, I guess.

Miss X
07-23-2007, 04:30 PM
I liked it a lot but it wasn't my favorite of the books. I want to know what happened to Luna, Dean, George and all that though. Also, I want to know who's the head of Hogwarts now!

The whole Snape thing was brilliant, he had to die. He was the true hero. Voldy was well and truly fooled by Snape! OMG and the patronus... That was so cool!

She definitely left scope for the future, in terms of more books. Maybe she won't ever write any but it's always a possibility!

Khariz
07-23-2007, 04:35 PM
I liked it a lot but it wasn't my favorite of the books. I want to know what happened to Luna, Dean, George and all that though. Also, I want to know who's the head of Hogwarts now!

The whole Snape thing was brilliant, he had to die. He was the true hero. Voldy was well and truly fooled by Snape! OMG and the patronus... That was so cool!

She definitely left scope for the future, in terms of more books. Maybe she won't ever write any but it's always a possibility!

The biggest reason I hope she keeps writing books, is that if she doesn't, other people will, whether it be fan-fic or some actually licensed novels, and I think they will suck compared to what she could put out.

So yeah, J.K., keep on writing, k thx.

TheEschaton
07-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Snape's death should have been more drawn out. I mean, OMG FUCKIN SNAKEZ ON A MUTHAFUCKIN NECK and it's over. Come on.

He realized he had to tell Harry something, and by then, he shoulda known what was up, so he shoulda fought the snake and run like hell, and maybe die in the escape.

Also, I never foresaw Snape as headmaster - after killing Dumbledore, whether or not the Ministry was run by Death Eaters or not, I woulda thought one of the teachers or a member of DA woulda tried to bump him off.

-TheE-

Numbers
07-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Would have been nice if Snape (and Moody) had been one of the people to show up when Harry used the resurrection stone.

Gan
07-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Also, I never foresaw Snape as headmaster - after killing Dumbledore, whether or not the Ministry was run by Death Eaters or not, I woulda thought one of the teachers or a member of DA woulda tried to bump him off.

-TheE-

He sat at Voldemort's right hand after killing off Dumbledore. Nobody wanted to incur the wrath of Voldemort if they were in the DeathEaters.

And since the ministry was in V's pocket, nobody else would have stood in Severus's way for headmaster. I was hoping to see if Severus would have had a picture in the headmaster office or not, but JK never mentioned it.

Khariz
07-24-2007, 12:05 AM
I was hoping to see if Severus would have had a picture in the headmaster office or not, but JK never mentioned it.

Safe to say with 100% certainty that there is. At the end Harry told Albus Severus that he was named after "two headmasters of hogwarts". I think he was officially recognized as a headmaster in a way to have earned a portrait.

SpunGirl
07-24-2007, 12:08 AM
It would have been nice if someone had kicked Umbridge's face in at some point, but I liked the scene with her court proceeding getting totally fux0red up.

-K

grapedog
07-24-2007, 12:25 AM
After talking about it with my girlfriend for a while, we both agree this book just had some serious problems in our opinion.

Those lulls in the middle, where nothing happened were much more drawn out than they needed to be. I think she just sucks at writing about down time or travel or something...all the other parts, like Godrics Hollow, Lovegoods House, Gringots on to the rest of the book were well done...it was when the characters were stuck in the woods that, at least me, it looked like she didn't know what to do.

Potterwatch could have been used a lot more effectively to keep the reader up to date in the goings on at the school and in London. There were periods where weeks and months would slip by without anything useful happening. Maybe thats more "realistic" as the kids didn't know what do to...but there are much better ways of bringing that to the reader, or giving the trio more ways to seek that knowledge.

Those lulls were my biggest disappointment in the books, and the whole "19 years later"...I've never seen an author do that very well and as such, I've never liked it. I would have much rather had the epilogue show how they rebuild hogwarts, how society rights itself after almost a year of crushing brutality, do the kids finish out the year at hogwarts, who is the new headmaster(McGonagall for the win!). What happens to those death eaters who really did the right thing in the end, like Narcissa...why couldn't Draco and Harry build upon those tense moments in the book? I don't think killing Voldermort had to be the final master stroke in the book...especially with everything that happened...he obviously left the wizarding world in a shambles and it would have been cool to see how it righted itself.

The 19 years felt hollow to me...

I like the book, but I enjoyed the 3rd, 4th and 5th books much more, and I'm still in the air over the 6th on where that goes...overall an excellent series though.

TheEschaton
07-24-2007, 08:28 AM
I think mine definitely goes 5th, 6th, 4th, 3rd, 1st, 2nd. Still trying to figure out where 7 goes in there.

DeV
07-24-2007, 05:41 PM
I loved it. I think it's easy to become overly critical about how this should've happened or that was retarded, but be realistic: Harry Potter is JK's story, and we're just reading it.

-KI loved it too. No complaints.

It's also easy to forget with a story as engaging as this one that after all is said and done it is a story written with young people in mind. Had my younger sister not been as engrossed in the tales of Harry Potter when the first book dropped I would have never picked it up and started reading it out of absolute boredom.

In any case, I only guessed a few things about the conclusion. The first was that I figured either Harry or his scar to be a horcrux. With that assumption in mind I expected him to die along with Voldemort in some drawn out final showdown. Pleasantly surprised that he survived, but after all, it seems fitting that the hero survive in a childrens tale. I thought Snape's storyline was an endearing and genius touch.

All in all I'm glad she didn't do what far too many authors do and leave the story open ended. Kudos for that.

Sean of the Thread
07-24-2007, 05:46 PM
You guys should be playing video games not reading. Get with teh program.

Khariz
07-24-2007, 05:46 PM
All in all I'm glad she didn't do what far too many authors do and leave the story open ended. Kudos for that.

Eh, she ended the Voldemort storyline, but she left Harry alive. SHe let 19 years pass with no clue what happened. That's pretty open ended to me. She could write any period of those 19 years if she wanted to.

I dunno. Good book.

Sean of the Thread
07-24-2007, 05:50 PM
But harry is gonna have a shit load of red head rugrats that she can write about... don't worry. However being as rich as she is... I'd be just looking to retire to the strip clubs and Monte Carlo... but wat ever.

DeV
07-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Eh, she ended the Voldemort storyline, but she left Harry alive. Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. Ending the Voldemort storyline means she closed perhaps the most crucial chapter in Harry's life, one that could have no doubt ended with his own death. Personally, I like the way she ended it, epilogue aside.

SHe let 19 years pass with no clue what happened. That's pretty open ended to me. She could write any period of those 19 years if she wanted to.Sure, she could write about those 19 years that passed, and maybe she will. Then again, what good is a hero without a villain.

You could also draw some of your own conclusions from the epilogue in that people who we knew would get married did so, had children, and so on.

The adult in me would absolutely love to read additional stories resulting from and expounding on the aftermath of Voldemort's demise, but I'd also be perfectly fine with it ending as it has and no other books being made.

Sylvan Dreams
07-24-2007, 07:11 PM
From what JK said, something to the effect of, "Someone will manage magic quite late in life," I didn't see that at all - unless you count Ariana in the portrait as magic? I also enjoyed reading about Dumbledore and how he, too, had flaws and insecurities. -K

Neville, perhaps? He seemed significantly more competent in the 7th book than he had in previous books.

I was really surprised at how the Bloody Baron died. I thought he was a crazy mass murderer or something.

I would like to see:
- Hogwarts: A History
- What happened to the Dursleys?
- What happens to: Neville, Luna? Draco? Goyle? The Weasleys? Professor McGonagall? Trelawney (she wasn't mentioned at all in book 7)? Kreacher? Hagrid?
- Griphook, where did he go?
- It was never explained where Hermione got Crookshanks from, or anything about him other than he is extremely intelligent. A familiar or something?
- I'd like to know more than Teddy. Did he turn out to be a werewolf?
- Did Lavender Brown become a werewolf?
- What happened to 12 Grimmauld Place?
- How come only certain people like the Grey Lady, Nearly Headless Nick and the Bloody Baron came back as ghosts and not people like Snape or Dumbledore or Lupin or any of the others? Fred Weasley could give Peeves a run for his money in causing trouble.

TheEschaton
07-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Trelawney was mentioned as throwing crystal balls and using her wand to direct them at people, during the battle.

-TheE-

Snapp
07-24-2007, 07:59 PM
- Did Lavender Brown become a werewolf?
I thought she died? I might have misread it.

Overall, I thought the book was great. The Snape storyline was really well put together and definitely made me feel bad for him. And I agree with grapedog, I also would have liked to know what happened directly afterwards, instead of the 19 years later stuff.. like rebuilding, what happened to the Death eaters, etc.

SpunGirl
07-24-2007, 11:03 PM
I didn't see Lavender dying, I thought she was in the Room of Requirement with the rest of the refugees?

Also, it was explained in book six, I think, that the only people who come back as ghosts are those that choose to stick around instead of "going on," and that the choice wasn't necessarily a happy one. Harry's loved ones being ghosts wouldn't really be a good thing.

-K

SpunGirl
07-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Oh, it also didn't specify in the Epilogue (I don't think, anyway) who Victorae was (the girl that Teddy was snogging at the train station). Assuming Teddy is 19-20ish at this point, it was probably this girl's last year at Hogwart's (he came to see her off, and one of the kids said she was a cousin), so I'm guessing she was Bill and Fleur's daughter?

-K

Hips
07-25-2007, 07:45 AM
Victoire sounds very French, and they mentioned that "Ted would really be a part of the family," so I had to assume she was Bill and Fleur's daughter.

Trouble
07-25-2007, 09:05 AM
I was really surprised at how the Bloody Baron died.

I must have missed that, did they say how he died? What was the situation?

Miss X
07-25-2007, 09:13 AM
Didn't he kill his lover and then kill himself? His lover was one of the other ghosts. The something Lady....

Trouble
07-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Oh right, I remember something about that now, thanks.

Gan
07-25-2007, 09:50 AM
I think the bloody baron killed the grey lady. She refused to come with him back to see her monther, in a rage he stabbed her, then in remorse he offed himself.

Nearly headless Nick's story was pretty cool.

Edited to add: Maybe not the grey lady, it was Rowena Ravenclaw's daughter.

SpunGirl
07-25-2007, 10:00 AM
The Grey Lady = Helena Ravenclaw (Rowena's daughter). Apparently that wasn't a widely known fact, if you remember, the ghost gave up the information a little bit grudgingly.

-K

Gan
07-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Yea, I remember now.

SpunGirl
07-25-2007, 06:10 PM
JK Rowling says there's more to tell....

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19935372/

Hooray!

-K

Sylvan Dreams
07-25-2007, 06:53 PM
I thought she died? I might have misread it.

Not sure. Says she was bitten by a werewolf but I don't know if it was fatal or not.

Sylvan Dreams
07-25-2007, 06:55 PM
I must have missed that, did they say how he died? What was the situation?

He was sent by Rowena Ravenclaw to find her daughter Helena after she stole the diadem. He had loved her and she repeatedly turned him down. Helena would not return with him, they fought, he stabbed her, then stabbed himself. He wears the chains as penance.

Gan
07-25-2007, 09:14 PM
JK Rowling says there's more to tell....

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19935372/

Hooray!

-K

Brilliant!

TheEschaton
07-25-2007, 09:25 PM
Sadly, I will probably line up for that book too.

Character development ftw.

TheEschaton
07-25-2007, 09:26 PM
I also read an article today about the character Rowling "spared", and it was Mr. Weasley in book 5, who was supposed to die when attacked by Nagini. CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT????????????

Atlanteax
07-26-2007, 09:35 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/

Spoiler alert: This story reveals some key plot points in the final Harry Potter book. So if you've haven't finished the book, J.K. Rowling asks that you not read this story.

If you found the epilogue of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” rather vague, then J.K Rowling achieved her goal.

The author was shooting for “nebulous,” something “poetic.” She wanted the readers to feel as if they were looking at Platform 9¾ through the mist, unable to make out exactly who was there and who was not.

“I do, of course, have that information for you, should you require it,” she told TODAY’s Meredith Vieira rather coyly in her first interview since fans got their hands on the final book.
Ummm … yes, please!

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rowling said her original epilogue was “a lot more detailed,” including the name of every child born to the Weasley clan in the past 19 years. (Victoire, who was snogging Teddy — Lupin and Tonks’ son — is Bill and Fleur’s eldest.)

“But it didn’t work very well as a piece of writing,” Rowling said. “It felt very much that I had crowbarred in every bit of information I could … In a novel you have to resist the urge to tell everything.”

But now that the seventh and final novel is in the hands of her adoring public, Rowling no longer has to hold back any information about Harry Potter from her fans. And when 14 fans crowded around her in Edinburgh Castle in Scotland earlier this week as part of TODAY’s interview, Rowling was more than willing to share her thoughts about what Harry and his friends are up to now.

Harry, Ron and Hermione
We know that Harry marries Ginny and has three kids, essentially, as Rowling explains, creating the family and the peace and calm he never had as a child.

As for his occupation, Harry, along with Ron, is working at the Auror Department at the Ministry of Magic. After all these years, Harry is now the department head.

“Harry and Ron utterly revolutionized the Auror Department,” Rowling said. “They are now the experts. It doesn’t matter how old they are or what else they’ve done.”

Meanwhile, Hermione, Ron’s wife, is “pretty high up” in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, despite laughing at the idea of becoming a lawyer in “Deathly Hallows.”

“I would imagine that her brainpower and her knowledge of how the Dark Arts operate would really give her a sound grounding,” Rowling said.

Harry, Ron and Hermione don’t join the same Ministry of Magic they had been at odds with for years; they revolutionize it and the ministry evolves into a “really good place to be.”

“They made a new world,” Rowling said.

The wizarding naturalist
Luna Lovegood, the eccentric Ravenclaw who was fascinated with Crumple-Horned Snorkacks and Umgubular Slashkilters, continues to march to the beat of her own drum.

“I think that Luna is now traveling the world looking for various mad creatures,” Rowling said. “She’s a naturalist, whatever the wizarding equivalent of that is.”

Luna comes to see the truth about her father, eventually acknowledging there are some creatures that don’t exist.

“But I do think that she’s so open-minded and just an incredible person that she probably would be uncovering things that no one’s ever seen before,” Rowling said.

Luna and Neville Longbottom?
It’s possible Luna has also found love with another member of the D.A.

When she was first asked about the possibility of Luna hooking up with Neville Longbottom several years ago, Rowling’s response was “Definitely not.” But as time passed and she watched her characters mature, Rowling started to “feel a bit of a pull” between the unlikely pair.

Ultimately, Rowling left the question of their relationship open at the end of the book because doing otherwise “felt too neat.”

Mr. and Mrs. Longbottom: “The damage is done.”

There is no chance, however, that Neville’s parents, who were tortured into madness by Bellatrix Lestrange, ever left St. Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies.

“I know people really wanted some hope for that, and I can quite see why because, in a way, what happens to Neville’s parents is even worse than what happened to Harry’s parents,” Rowling said. “The damage that is done, in some cases with very dark magic, is done permanently.”

Rowling said Neville finds happiness in his grandmother’s acceptance of him as a gifted wizard and as the new herbology professor at Hogwarts.

The fate of Hogwarts
Nineteen years after the Battle of Hogwarts, the school for witchcraft and wizardry is led by an entirely new headmaster (“McGonagall was really getting on a bit”) as well as a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. That position is now as safe as the other teaching posts at Hogwarts, since Voldemort’s death broke the jinx that kept a Defense Against the Dark Arts professor from remaining for more than a year.

While Rowling didn’t clarify whether Harry, Ron and Hermione ever return to school to finish their seventh year, she did say she could see Harry popping up every now and again to give the “odd talk” on Defense Against the Dark Arts.

More details to come?
Rowling said she may eventually reveal more details in a Harry Potter encyclopedia, but even then, it will never be enough to satisfy the most ardent of her fans.

“I’m dealing with a level of obsession in some of my fans that will not rest until they know the middle names of Harry’s great-great-grandparents,” she said. Not that she’s discouraging the Potter devotion!

“I love it,” she said. “I’m all for that.”

Hips
07-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Luna and Neville Longbottom?
It’s possible Luna has also found love with another member of the D.A.

When she was first asked about the possibility of Luna hooking up with Neville Longbottom several years ago, Rowling’s response was “Definitely not.” But as time passed and she watched her characters mature, Rowling started to “feel a bit of a pull” between the unlikely pair.

I totally knew that was going to happen even since Luna first showed up as a character!

Liberi Fatali
08-13-2007, 12:55 PM
I finished the book the other day and then let my mate borrow it so I can't look up the answer to a query I have:

That little wanker goblin stole the sword when Harry and the lot escaped from the vault. How, then, did Neville get the sword to stab Voldemort's snake at the end?!

Also, I'm fairly sure Lavender Brown did die -- so did that little picture-taking wiss Collin Creevy. It just mentioned their corpses lying on the ground (and in fact, I think Collin was carried by Neville).

ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THE SWORD, THOUGH?

Gan
08-13-2007, 01:00 PM
I'll look it up when I get home.

Pretty sure it was the hat though. That damn magical hat stole the sword.

Khariz
08-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Something about it being in the sorting hat.

I'll figure it out or something.

CrystalTears
08-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's because of the sorting hat too. The sword will always appear in the hat to those who are faithful to the school/Dumbledore/house, regardless of who physically has the sword. At least that was always my take on it.

Khariz
08-13-2007, 01:05 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's because of the sorting hat too. The sword will always appear in the hat to those who are faithful to the school/Dumbledore/house, regardless of who physically has the sword. At least that was always my take on it.

Yep that's it. Neville is a true Gryffindor, and thus was able to pull the sword outta the hat, excalibur style.

Landrion
08-13-2007, 01:50 PM

Rowling really could have explained this more explicitly.

But

Dumbledore's painting says something to Snape to the effect of "must take the sword under conditions of need and valor." before Snape sneaks it into the lake and lures him there with his Patronus.

In Chamber of Secrets Dumbledore tells Harry "Only a True Gryffindor could pull that sword out of the hat"

From that, we know that a non-Gryffindor can pick up and physically transport the sword (since Snape does it to get it to Harry). But to summon it from the hat, one would have to be a true Gryffindor with need and valor. I imagine Griphook could then have transported the sword out of Gringots, just as Snape had transported it to the lake.

Either the sword is capable of teleporting back the hat (as CT said) if it is not returned or Snape retrieved it after the Gringots raid (presumably at the painting/Dumbledore's instruction) and returned it to the sorting hat. Otherwise, it was possible that Griphook was caught with the sword after the Gringots escape and the sword was returned to Hogwarts by a third party.

From a writing standpoint, I dont know why Rowling did it in that confusing way. Ron and Hermoine had already retreived Basilisk fangs from the Chamber, so either they couldve killed Nagini or passed Neville a fang to do so (if we were really attatched to Neville killing Nagini). Or, Nagini could simply have been more vulnerable to attack being a living thing as opposed to a magical object (Dumbledore explicitly replies in HBP that it is inadvisable to make a horcrux of something that can move and think for itself). Personally, I think she just forgot to add a line explaining how it got back there or why the hat seemed unharmed by Voldemort setting it on fire.

Fallen
08-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Yeah, it made no sense, seeing as how the sword was goblin made. But....MAGIC and all that. It was a big hole IMO.

Landrion
08-13-2007, 02:51 PM
More on the point about killing Nagini. Voldemort destroyed the portion of his soul in Harry with Avadra Kedavra. Lends credence to the idea that a living horcrux is more vulnerable than an inanimate one.